Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Have you tried using a different imaging program to format/partition out the card? I've always had good luck with Rufus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Not yet, I’ve just been using Balena. I’ll try that when I get home from work, probably also try imaging on my Mac since my PC gets weird about my SD card reader sometimes.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.
Just got my Miyoo Mini in and I think this replaces the 280V as my favorite small retro portable. The UI has some great features (sleep, easy save states, etc) and is easy to use out of the box. The biggest drawback is that it's a bit sluggish, but otherwise you could easily hand this off to anyone out of the box and they'd have a great time. The device feels incredibly solid and the screen looks amazing. The only real drawback so far to me is that shoulder buttons are a bit difficult for me to use. I have big hands and it's hard to push a shoulder button without pushing the entire devices towards my face. The most comfortable grip for me so far is resting my right finger against the length of the device to support it and curling my right pointer finger so it can hit the L shoulder buttons. Unfortunately, that takes the R shoulder buttons out of play.

Grip issues aside, it's really amazing for such a cheap device.

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth

:smithicide:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Looks normal

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

The legends are true!

It's very playable, but I would never say "full speed". Maybe 80% of the way there. Taki might have more willingness to accept slowdowns than me to call a game playable, but it will play and mostly won't drive me nuts.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I am to the point with these retro handhelds that the way I'm getting my retro fix whilst lying in bed is to have a Wii-U shoved under my nightstand that I use to play stuff from the Virtual console and also slowly pick my way through my 80th BOTW playthrough.

Its surprisingly needs suiting, especially since (I believe) every single Zelda game is available on the system natively, I'm pretty OK with the N64 VC library that it has, without resorting to WAD injections, and everything before that it can emulate well.

The wii-u was right there all along

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Everyone forgets about the Wii U.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

beep-beep car is go posted:

Everyone forgets about the Wii U.

Especially Nintendo.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

is the wiiu virtual console store still functional?
I have "finally playing Chrono Trigger and Earthbound" on my new years resolutions list this year.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

otter posted:

is the wiiu virtual console store still functional?
I have "finally playing Chrono Trigger and Earthbound" on my new years resolutions list this year.

And if it's getting closed anytime soon, how hard is it to mod your Wii-U to let you keep on playing your "backups"?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

And if it's getting closed anytime soon, how hard is it to mod your Wii-U to let you keep on playing your "backups"?

Trivial. You used to need a DS game from the eshop to make it easy, as of Jan. 1 you don't even need that anymore.

https://wiiu.hacks.guide/

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

i think it took me about 20 minutes but that was because the battery died in the control pad.

i have a spare wiiu too if anyone needs one. i have it in the game swap thread

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Trivial. You used to need a DS game from the eshop to make it easy, as of Jan. 1 you don't even need that anymore.

https://wiiu.hacks.guide/

Looks to be on par with Vita modding, difficulty wise, neat!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The Final Third Party Retro Console Roundups of 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFcFlsFVg4k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ5IrSOvTaw

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I’ve been messing around with my Retroid Pocket 2+ for a good week or two now… and I just hate it. I hate virtually everything about it. The OS is clumsy. Nothing works consistently or the way it should. The built in emulators find certain roms while ignoring others even though they’re in the same format. The default control bindings make zero sense, don’t correlate with the buttons on the d-pad, and are a huge pain in the rear end to re-map. Everything is buried under layers and layers of menus and submenus.

This thing is a piece of garbage and I wish I had never bought it. If there’s a way to just completely nuke everything on this thing and start from zero with something completely different, something that just loving works (like EmuELEC), please let me know.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Almost Smart posted:

I’ve been messing around with my Retroid Pocket 2+ for a good week or two now… and I just hate it. I hate virtually everything about it. The OS is clumsy. Nothing works consistently or the way it should. The built in emulators find certain roms while ignoring others even though they’re in the same format. The default control bindings make zero sense, don’t correlate with the buttons on the d-pad, and are a huge pain in the rear end to re-map. Everything is buried under layers and layers of menus and submenus.

This thing is a piece of garbage and I wish I had never bought it. If there’s a way to just completely nuke everything on this thing and start from zero with something completely different, something that just loving works (like EmuELEC), please let me know.

I haven't messed with my normal 2 in awhile, but I think you could just download whatever emulators are considered the best for Android 8.1, configure those, then shove everything into a frontend like Pegasus for usability's sake. Might be easier to even just get RetroArch and just download some cores since the 2+ should be capable enough to run the majority of them relatively well.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I’ve completely given up on the default front end. The minute I learned that the SNES emulator required .smc instead of the MUCH more common .sfc i was like “*clap hands* nope!” Now I’m on the hunt for the best standalone emulators.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

None of the first wave of the next gen handhelds excite me at all. The spec sheets look nice, but it seems like all of them have at least one serious flaw or another. Plus, I absolutely do not want fan cooling in a handheld.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

I’ve completely given up on the default front end. The minute I learned that the SNES emulator required .smc instead of the MUCH more common .sfc i was like “*clap hands* nope!” Now I’m on the hunt for the best standalone emulators.

Having to deal with stand-alone emulators, or setting up RetroArch on my own, was where I gave up completely on the RP2+. If I’m going to have to go to the lengths of setting up my own key bindings and poo poo, I might as well do it on my laptop now that it’s fixed and at least get better performance out of some of the more difficult to emulate systems.

It’s my own fault for buying into the hype and novelty of “look at all these old games you can play on one device,” mind you.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
To me I just don’t see the point in trying to emulate newer systems on such a small screen. I feel like anything PS1 and up really benefits from a larger screen size.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Any retroid 2+ haters name your price, I will buy it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Aya Neo Next Gen review embargo is up, apparently, time to strike while the iron is hot and the Steam Deck remains delayed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpL-gORBuTE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csp2Kxeorbo

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

It looks way better than the SteamDeck does, that’s for sure.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

They made a hell of a lot of improvements and if the steam deck wasn’t a thing I’d be all over this.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh wow, those are not cheap

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

coconono posted:

Any retroid 2+ haters name your price, I will buy it.

I’m not really a hater, more an easily confused idiot

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oh wow, those are not cheap

Yeah there's no way I am buying that unless it's like half off and even then that's probably way too rich for my blood.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
More reviews of the first Funkey S clone, the Powkiddy Q36 mini

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfUL1Qb84RM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKnFsQULALE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9HwdhvCt-o

It may not be as thin as the Trimui/A66, but I gather it wins the "tiny gameboy micro sized device with a way too tiny screen" category simply due to using the Funkey OS.

LODGE NORTH posted:

It looks way better than the SteamDeck does, that’s for sure.
Maybe YOU don't want the xbox-style "face button melting off the side of the controller" look but the people are CLAMORING for it!

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 9, 2022

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

the rp2/+ was my first retro handheld so i think a lot of horseshit that i’ve had to deal with i have sort of accepted as normal

the lack of a functional frontend means clunkily scrolling through android menus to get to individual emulators, some of which were designed with touch functionality in mind and as such do not necessarily have full or intuitive control from the rp2’s buttons-only interface. it is very picky about which emulators you use (drastic and myboy being two purchases i’ve made to improve the performance that have done a great job). the wifi and store functionality is dead so you have to clumsily load roms onto an sd card.

all of that being said: the performance for the price is outstanding. the default folders are hooked up to retroarch, and most of the emulators in retroarch that are installed work perfectly. the lack of a clean frontend to boot into is extremely disappointing, but as someone who’s more concerned with performance than UI i’ve come to live with it. everything is a little kludgy, but for less than $100 invested in it, there is in fact a lot to write home about. haven’t upgraded my pcb yet because i’m fuckin lazy but idk. would i give it to a kid or recommend it for your first handheld? no. but it doesn’t take a rocket surgeon to figure out. it could be smoother, but for the price you’re paying it’s good enough, especially when the next significant step up in performance is gonna run you 3x as much at least,

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The United States posted:

More reviews of the first Funkey S clone, the Powkiddy Q36 mini

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfUL1Qb84RM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKnFsQULALE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9HwdhvCt-o

It may not be as thin as the Trimui/A66, but I gather it wins the "tiny gameboy micro sized device with a way too tiny screen" category simply due to using the Funkey OS.

Maybe YOU don't want the xbox-style "face button melting off the side of the controller" look but the people are CLAMORING for it!

All of these super tiny clones are forgetting a headphone jack which makes it an instant no buy from me

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Declan MacManus posted:

the rp2/+ was my first retro handheld so i think a lot of horseshit that i’ve had to deal with i have sort of accepted as normal

the lack of a functional frontend means clunkily scrolling through android menus to get to individual emulators, some of which were designed with touch functionality in mind and as such do not necessarily have full or intuitive control from the rp2’s buttons-only interface. it is very picky about which emulators you use (drastic and myboy being two purchases i’ve made to improve the performance that have done a great job). the wifi and store functionality is dead so you have to clumsily load roms onto an sd card.

all of that being said: the performance for the price is outstanding. the default folders are hooked up to retroarch, and most of the emulators in retroarch that are installed work perfectly. the lack of a clean frontend to boot into is extremely disappointing, but as someone who’s more concerned with performance than UI i’ve come to live with it. everything is a little kludgy, but for less than $100 invested in it, there is in fact a lot to write home about. haven’t upgraded my pcb yet because i’m fuckin lazy but idk. would i give it to a kid or recommend it for your first handheld? no. but it doesn’t take a rocket surgeon to figure out. it could be smoother, but for the price you’re paying it’s good enough, especially when the next significant step up in performance is gonna run you 3x as much at least,

These are all fair points.

Gonna add that if (like me) you hate seeing ads in your apps, you can upgrade Yaba Sanshiro 2 to Pro via the workaround of visiting the Play store on a different device. You can just turn off Wi-Fi, but then it complains about wanting Google Play services to run and idk if it really does or not, plus the upgrade was $5.60 so I’ve spent more money on lunch then that. Otherwise the Play store will take you to the store page for the free version and tell you to use in-app purchases to upgrade. I didn’t see a way to do this in the app on the RP2+ so this was my workaround. Then just uninstall the free version because the devs officially support the RP2+ and you won’t have any trouble setting it up.

I’m just used to slick front ends like Emulation Station, so everything being a kludge like in the old days is hard to get used to and kinda confusing. Although playing Panzer Dragoon Saga at 2x resolution on a handheld owns so, land of contrasts, etc.

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

I dunno if you're responding to WiiU hack chat or RP2+ chat, but the default RP2+ snes emulator (the one that starts up by default in RetroidLauncher) can read .sfc files

Declan MacManus posted:

The RP2+ has a unified frontend called RetroidLauncher that's functional, but lacking in features- in particular, it doesn't have a recently launched roms list or search function, so finding games if you've got a lot loaded can be a pain

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

All of these super tiny clones are forgetting a headphone jack which makes it an instant no buy from me
The Powkiddy Q20 mini has a headphone jack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZB78PhJUlc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6mP7pFSUiI

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
A beta of 351ELEC for the RG552 has appeared.

You install the same way you would on a 351 device where you use an imaging program like Rufus to put it onto a new card. I've given it a super quick go and it seems pretty decent already, if clearly beta. Main irritants are the fan level being too high (I'm sure we'll get a setting for this), boot times taking significantly longer than the Anbernic OS (again, this will definitely get fixed), and some systems seem to run at like 640x480 internally and look blurry. All stuff that's very much a sign of it being early days, but one that is a potentially big one is the fact it doesn't really like FAT32 memory cards at all, while Android seems to demand FAT32.

The big wins include select as function by default, being able to run Retroarch independently as well as the other tools, much better save state support from the menu - it's already much better than the default OS in a few key ways and it's only going to get better. Can't wait for more progress. After playing a fair bit on my GPD XP for the better DS support going back to the 552 reminds me how much better the screen is on this thing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Has anyone tried 3ds games on their 552. I’m not expecting anything amazing but I have to imagine some are playable.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I just hate the perfectly square screen. Pretty much nothing fits that properly.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Another new early RG552 OS has appeared - this one's called JELOS and it's by one of the original 351ELEC leads. After a super quick play around it's still early feeling (no hotkeys configured, though you can do that yourself in RA as you can just load that by itself) and missing a lot of the external network niceties like a theme downloader and Screenscraper support (though that is coming) and it does feel pretty unstable, requiring a few resets so far, but it has an extremely sensible initial fan curve and once you're in the OS it's all nice and quick. It's positioning itself as a lightweight OS based on 351ELEC so that makes sense.

If I can get the controls, stability and theme right through settings I think I'd be pretty close to where I want to be with this, to be honest.

uiruki fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 11, 2022

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The new meta is installing a local webserver with built in javascript emulators to serve up roms in a browser to get around iPhone/Xbox restrictions I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROlxLLtR3nE

sethsez posted:

I just hate the perfectly square screen. Pretty much nothing fits that properly.
Gameboy, Gameboy Color, and Game Gear... I think that's it. So basically the same systems that fit the Analogue Pocket's square screen (though that one is much larger).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The new meta is installing a local webserver with built in javascript emulators to serve up roms in a browser to get around iPhone/Xbox restrictions I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROlxLLtR3nE

Is this a new thing from Razer??