Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

no worries about water if the entire siding of the house is gutters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Just have him put one giant gutter over the whole house?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Why don't they just make the whole house out of the same material as the gutter?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

Why don't they just make the whole house out of the same material as the gutter?

Glass reinforced plastic (GRP)? You need to stop shopping on Zillow and go here instead:

https://www.yachtworld.com/

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

DoubleT2172 posted:

I'm no gutter expert but yeah, the gutter guy is either an idiot or trying to rip you off

Not mutually exclusive, I'm going with both. Gutters on the gable ends, just lol

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Could someone recommend range hoods with extra tall chimneys? I have not seen anything about 47" tall online, and the contractor I talked to recommended at least 56" of trim. I will see if I can get him to make a recommendation too.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Catpiss/Ratturd house update:

I gave up and hired a bunch of people. The whole budget is basically blown now, but gently caress it.

Paint: No loving way I'm doing this on my own, because 1. It will take forever and 2. It will be lovely since I've never done it before. I am not perfect and though I might be good at ripping poo poo out of the house, painting interiors is not something that I should ever attempt to do. That, and it would probably take weeks and weeks for me to do the whole place (again, shittily). I hired the guy who painted my dad's house like 3 times that our family knows and trusts and has been painting for 30 years.

Tomorrow large parts the subfloor is being replaced. We got a professional carpenter out to do that. He's doing all the counters and cabinets starting tomorrow as well.

We had a few people over to get estimates about how to fix the catpiss stained hardwood floors, and their responses we unanimous: "this is beyond what sanding can fix, these floors are beyond saving. Just get Stanley Steemer out to clean what can be cleaned, put down a layer of underlayment and then cover it with vinyl plank". I guess if I ever sell this place in the future I'll just say "it technically has hardwood floors".

I got all the doors ordered and paid for, I got all the appliances delivered too. No supply chain issues at all there.

So that's basically the end of what I can do and I'm just going to brute force the rest of the renovation with money to get it done right and done on time. The floors will get done, the interior will be painted by a professional, and then that's basically it, I think.

Oh, and then I get to move in. :)

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

AHH F/UGH posted:

I gave up and hired a bunch of people. The whole budget is basically blown now, but gently caress it.

Oh, RIP. Do you think you ended up saving any money at the end?

Also surprised to hear that painting is what did you in. My partner has done that several times and thinks it's easy.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

The money is basically breakeven. I will end up dipping into my savings a bit. Not horribly though, since I did so much of the up-front legwork myself the past 2? 3? months. It might have ended up more expensive to pay rent and mortgage at my current place and the catpiss/ratturd house at the same time considering how long it would likely take me to do it all.

I spent around 2 hours priming some window trim, a door frame, and a closet frame, realized my loving arm was about to fall off and then did the calculations in my head about how long it would take to do the rest of that room alone, and then two more rooms just like it, a bathroom, a living room, a laundry room, and a whole motherfucking god drat kitchen on my own... three times over - and that it would probably turn out dog poo poo, and realized this is something I should not be tackling. I am not too proud to admit it. Get a pro and get his team in, knock it out.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Have your painter guy paint the floors with a shellac-based primer. Otherwise the smell will rise up through your new floors. Common brands are Kilz and Zinsser B-I-N, but check the label carefully; B-I-N comes in non-shellac formats, which are useless for sealing.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Why not tear out the wood floor?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Upgrade posted:

Why not tear out the wood floor?

My guess is the expense of this + laying foundation to place the planking on would be way more expensive.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

My guess is the expense of this + laying foundation to place the planking on would be way more expensive.

Yep, exactly. I asked about the nuclear option of ripping them out and replacing them, and it would be another $7500 at a minimum, plus the "lost" value of hardwood floors that someone, for some reason, might want to one day resurface.

I told all of them about my worries about a hot summer day making those smells reappear (thanks to Motronic for putting the fear of god into me about that) and the consensus was that it's not possible after a layer of Kilz, an underlayment, and then the locking vinyl planks. I'm still going to get the steam cleaners out to try and zap the floor as clean as possible and hit it again with more enzyme though. For what it's worth, the place doesn't smell like anything at all anymore, basically.

I assume my cats, who (currently) don't piss all over the place, will be the best judges of whether or not all of that works in the end.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Good luck with all this, AHH. It's good that you recognize your limits.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You have to wake up PRETTY early to pull one over on a Bachelor of Arts from Salem, Oregon's finest institute of higher education :smuggo:

Oh a Chemeketa man huh? Well met!

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Is there any trick or strategy to getting new windows?

I’m not sure if we’re ready to take that plunge yet but it’s be nice to get some ballpark figures.

I’m pretty sure all our windows are original (~60 years) or just old as gently caress. We live in the Midwest so cold winters and hot summers.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Thwomp posted:

I’m not sure if we’re ready to take that plunge yet but it’s be nice to get some ballpark figures.

I’m pretty sure all our windows are original (~60 years) or just old as gently caress. We live in the Midwest so cold winters and hot summers.

Do you have lead paint

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Not as far as I’m aware of.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Thwomp posted:

Better to have good windows in a crappy wall than crappy windows in a good wall - they make all the difference. Get the best ones you can afford, avoid vinyl like the plague.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Thwomp posted:

Do you already have external shutters of some kind? If not consider getting electric roller ones installed at the same time. It'll be (a lot) more expensive but they provide great weather protection.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Sloppy posted:

avoid vinyl like the plague.

Why's that? Frames too bulky?

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Thwomp posted:

This is going to vary wildly based on the number of and sizes of windows you have. Get quotes from reputable, independent, local window/exterior companies. Do not go through chains like renewal by andersen and pella. Anyone who says "if you sign right now you get X% off" is a scammer (e.g. renewal by andersen).

Sloppy posted:

Get the best ones you can afford, avoid vinyl like the plague.

This is bad advice, there exist many good vinyl windows these days, but if you have a very fancy house you will probably be looking at wood windows due to greater customization options but if you're asking about cost this probably isn't you.

Oh and be ready to wait at least 3 months, there are only so many companies that make glass for all the window companies and they're all backed up forever.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AHH F/UGH posted:

Yep, exactly. I asked about the nuclear option of ripping them out and replacing them, and it would be another $7500 at a minimum, plus the "lost" value of hardwood floors that someone, for some reason, might want to one day resurface.
Floors that are unsalvageable today will still be unsalvageable for the next owner. Those floors are permanently destroyed.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Floors that are unsalvageable today will still be unsalvageable for the next owner. Those floors are permanently destroyed.

It's like cryogenics for your home. Just keep them in stasis until scientists discover the cure for cat piss.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Time machine to go back before they were pissified it is so simple.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Thwomp posted:

our windows are original (~60 years)

Upgrade posted:

Do you have lead paint

Thwomp posted:

Not as far as I’m aware of.
I have bad news for you.
Edit: Actually, if it's really from the 60s and not the 50s, I may not have bad news for you.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

StormDrain posted:

It's ... your home. Just keep them ... until [next owner] discover the ... cat piss.

Life hack!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Buying a used house in about 30 years will be really nice because the number of homes still standing without lead or asbestos remediation will have shrunk substantially; right now all the remaining homes with zero remediation are coming up on necessary 40-50 year maintenance. In 30 years a lot of homes will be going through their second major remodel

But yeah if there's any question about lead paint, the answer is almost certainly "yes" even if it's a base layer buried deep down

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

AHH F/UGH posted:

House Ownership Thread: I gave up and hired a bunch of people. Budget blown, but gently caress it.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Hadlock posted:

Buying a used house in about 30 years will be really nice because the number of homes still standing without lead or asbestos remediation will have shrunk substantially; right now all the remaining homes with zero remediation are coming up on necessary 40-50 year maintenance. In 30 years a lot of homes will be going through their second major remodel

But yeah if there's any question about lead paint, the answer is almost certainly "yes" even if it's a base layer buried deep down

Almost every home in my area is from the 20s - 50s which is why I wouldn’t look at anything with original windows because lol at remediation

But also you have to measure old homes against the number of shoddily built homes from the 70s to 90s and how those will age. The devils choice between asbestos but built to last and asbestos free but disposable.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

House Ownership Thread: I gave up and hired a bunch of people. Budget blown, but gently caress it.

lmfao yes. mods do the needful

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Upgrade posted:

Almost every home in my area is from the 20s - 50s which is why I wouldn’t look at anything with original windows because lol at remediation
My first house as an adult was a 1924 home with original-ish windows. They had a mix of original storms and more modern aluminum storms, and with the storms in they were fine. But also, swapping out storms and screens every year was a pain in the rear end.

Upgrade posted:

But also you have to measure old homes against the number of shoddily built homes from the 70s to 90s and how those will age. The devils choice between asbestos but built to last and asbestos free but disposable.
Built to last (same house had either white pine or actual hardwood joists, for example), but not just asworstos. Also knob and tube, 1-2 electrical receptacles per room, poo poo plumbing, no insulation, closets built for when a man owned 4 suits and a set of lawnmowing clothes, etc. And occasionally having to go to the antique store or salvage place to find repair pieces because Home Depot doesn't have anything that works.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

House Ownership Thread: Rest in (Cat) Piss

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

AHH F/UGH posted:

Paint: No loving way I'm doing this on my own, because 1. It will take forever and 2. It will be lovely since I've never done it before. I am not perfect and though I might be good at ripping poo poo out of the house, painting interiors is not something that I should ever attempt to do. That, and it would probably take weeks and weeks for me to do the whole place (again, shittily). I hired the guy who painted my dad's house like 3 times that our family knows and trusts and has been painting for 30 years.

Tomorrow large parts the subfloor is being replaced. We got a professional carpenter out to do that. He's doing all the counters and cabinets starting tomorrow as well.

We had a few people over to get estimates about how to fix the catpiss stained hardwood floors, and their responses we unanimous: "this is beyond what sanding can fix, these floors are beyond saving. Just get Stanley Steemer out to clean what can be cleaned, put down a layer of underlayment and then cover it with vinyl plank". I guess if I ever sell this place in the future I'll just say "it technically has hardwood floors".

I got all the doors ordered and paid for, I got all the appliances delivered too. No supply chain issues at all there.

So that's basically the end of what I can do and I'm just going to brute force the rest of the renovation with money to get it done right and done on time. The floors will get done, the interior will be painted by a professional, and then that's basically it, I think.

Oh, and then I get to move in. :)

Learning about catpiss houses -- why are the old hardwood floors being kept rather than ripped out if you are putting down vinyl plank? Avoiding added cost because then you would have new plywood + underlayment as opposed to just underlayment?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Man, this thread has really made me realize that cats are ~$300k pets

They piss on a wall while you're out of town for the weekend and you've got to gut the place? Scary

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

If you don’t tear out the floor you can pretend the cat piss didn’t penetrate deeper

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

They piss on a wall while you're out of town for the weekend and you've got to gut the place? Scary
One cat is not $300k (except in cuddlability). Cat-hoarding, or dog-hoarding, is a multi-thousand-dollar hobby, paid by your next of kin.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Usually you are on the ball Chris but you're being willfully trolly here. You know we are not talking about pissing on 1 wall 1 time.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Inner Light posted:

Usually you are on the ball Chris but you're being willfully trolly here. You know we are not talking about pissing on 1 wall 1 time.

Friendo there's no trolling to be had. The best cats pee in their box, and the best cat owners keep the box clean. But nobody's perfect; and some combo of the owner and the cat is going to lead the cat to piss outside the box, far more than once in its long-long life...

I just didn't realize how hosed you were if it happened like, while you were out of town or something, and allowed it to seep irreparably in to the home's core

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I just didn't realize how hosed you were if it happened like, while you were out of town or something, and allowed it to seep irreparably in to the home's core

Again: you're not. This is years, potentially decades, of pet hoarding without cleaning. Rodent infestation level uncleanliness. Dead animals found under hoarder piles that fell over kinda poo poo.

Did you miss the part where this house required multiple 30 yard dumpsters just to get the hoard out?