Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

and now if I want to watch the new Star Trek

I have an absolutely brilliant solution to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Is it Lower Decks?

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

Guavanaut posted:

Is it Lower Decks?

Lower Decks is more Star Trek than Star Trek

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lower Decks is best Trek of 21st century, unless you wanna count those weird YT edits where Data explores perverted art

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
what kind of actual sociopath puts their own face on gifts they give to people

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lower Decks is best Trek of 21st century, unless you wanna count those weird YT edits where Data explores perverted art

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Lower Decks is really good, would definitely recommend. Way better than Discovery, which is fun in places but really suffers from a need to be super cinematic at all times and have tons of big set piece action scenes. Nobody is going into Star Trek wanting more cool explosions. Some of the best episodes of TNG involved basically nothing happening but Data looking after a cat while Troi and Crusher moaned about men over ice cream sundaes and Picard had a wild time with a haunted alien flute.

stev posted:

They both sound like insufferable cunts tbf. Hope they end up together.

The woman sounds vaguely Lexity at least, so maybe she at least means well.

Julio Cruz posted:

what kind of actual sociopath puts their own face on gifts they give to people

Bare minimum info to avoid doxxing but I once knew of a guy who, at the end of a semester's teaching, brought in framed, signed photographs of himself as gifts for his entire class.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 6, 2022

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

I've never consumed much of Star Trek but I'm going to have to insist that those YT edits are canon.

Gruffalo Soldier
Feb 23, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

Bare minimum info to avoid doxxing but I once knew of a guy who, at the end of a semester's teaching, brought in framed, signed photographs of himself as gifts for his entire class.

Teacher or student? Not sure which would be worse.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Gruffalo Soldier posted:

Teacher or student? Not sure which would be worse.

Teacher lmao

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

ThomasPaine posted:

Lower Decks is really good, would definitely recommend. Way better than Discovery, which is fun in places but really suffers from a need to be super cinematic at all times and have tons of big set piece action scenes.

Discovery sucks because all of the characters have this breathy niceness about them and being super nice to eachother all the time. There's no underlying conflict between any of the cast that isn't directly related to whatever plot is happening at the minute and as such they're all boring 2D cutouts disguised by that flashy cinematic overproduced look you mentioned.

The current season is an arc about some giant black hole machine that's ripping apart galaxies yet, for most of the characters it's like they know they're in a TV show and it'll be taken care of in a few weeks.

If this was allowed to be referenced on Lower Decks it would be taking the piss out of how shite Discovery is.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kin posted:

Discovery sucks because all of the characters have this breathy niceness about them and being super nice to eachother all the time. There's no underlying conflict between any of the cast that isn't directly related to whatever plot is happening at the minute and as such they're all boring 2D cutouts disguised by that flashy cinematic overproduced look you mentioned.

The current season is an arc about some giant black hole machine that's ripping apart galaxies yet, for most of the characters it's like they know they're in a TV show and it'll be taken care of in a few weeks.

If this was allowed to be referenced on Lower Decks it would be taking the piss out of how shite Discovery is.

Yeah but there was that one time that Tilly said gently caress.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I cancelled everything but Netflix and Spotify. If music goes the same way with streaming services up the wazoo then I'm just going to set up in a cave with some instruments and maybe a parrot and make my own drat entertainment

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Kin posted:

Discovery started out as 9/11 neocon Cheney-energy Trek and now it's 2016 neolib Hillary-energy Trek

Both versions suck absolute poo poo

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

stev posted:

Yeah but there was that one time that Tilly said gently caress.

That's the power of math, people

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

"I like science." -:spock:

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Foster liked his brand new wand!
Fun Shoe
Anyone have a link to those Data edits?

TIA

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Owen has a live thing up in an hour or so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar776fM58Fc

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

69,999 pdfs about the innate superiority of the aryan race, the white genocide, the great replacement, the international jew, the protocols of zion, and the necessity of immediate armed resistance: a matter of opinion

1 lovely book about how to set your own dick on fire trying to make a landmine: prison suspended sentence and jane austen

It was the cookbook that did for him. Presumably the far right stuff was used in mitigation.

If he had tattoo of a rainbow with lighting bolt he would gone down, forever.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The sound of Boris alienating yet more of his support base
https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1479107252229263366

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Wrath of Mordark posted:

Anyone have a link to those Data edits?

TIA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZlRt05RY9Y

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

On reflection I'm sorry Tess and others, I've not been feeling great today so I was a bit cranky.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
This rewilding plan is a) about pheasant shooting and b) yet another cash funnel, right?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I'm doing a run of voyager with my younger lad- I used a few episode guides that some (other) nerd threw into a spreadsheet to trim it down so we are only watching episodes vital to the overall plot/especially well regarded ones

cut seven seasons down to about two, and I'm enjoying it a lot more than the random episodes I saw as a kid

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

fuctifino posted:

The sound of Boris alienating yet more of his support base
https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1479107252229263366

Mumbo and Jumbo are 2 of his kids I think.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Private Speech posted:

On reflection I'm sorry Tess and others, I've not been feeling great today so I was a bit cranky.

It's all right. Sorry if I came in heavy, I've just been seeing a lot of anti-vaxxers spreading that VAERS thing and I instinctively push back.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Make sure to include the lizard sex episode lest he ends up thinking Voyager actually wasn’t so bad

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Adolf Glitter posted:

Mumbo and Jumbo are 2 of his kids I think.

You seriously think he can name his kids?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Collateral posted:

It was the cookbook that did for him. Presumably the far right stuff was used in mitigation.

If he had tattoo of a rainbow with lighting bolt he would gone down, forever.
Yeah that's the bit I find a bit 'bleak lol'. I assume that the case took them all in context before assigning him english lit homework, but it's only the cookbook that gets mentioned.

Like I remember pre-internet (ok pre everyone having the internet) that the Anarchist's Cookbook and similar was more stupid edgy teen bullshit that you could even pick up at some high street discount bookshops. You might get some weird looks but it was a mix of both sufficiently nudge wink and sufficiently not actually going to work that it was more a steal this book/i'm hardcore now mum thing than actual terrorism. I assume a prosecutor could bring it up if you were getting done for conspiracy to do a terror, but they were hardly banned books.

Whereas all those other books/pdfs he had you wouldn't be able to get at all without buying the national front's newspaper and contacting some mail order bookshop in the back pages that turned out to be a semi-detached in Stoke run by two heavily tattooed gentlemen and Martin Bormann. They were (rightly) kept a good distance away from the general public.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's literally a guy on youtube that does chemistry explosives shitposts and has a collection of strongbow cans he blew up as a reference library.

I don't think having a book I was under the impression was just an FBI honeypot would be necessary in this day and age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV_daaldE_I

Going to get arrested for t posing on the internet.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 6, 2022

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Yeah I remember downloading the anarchist cookbook when I was 13 or something cos I thought it would make me a bad rear end.

I guess the police are now on their way.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I know TQIRL says

The Question IRL posted:

you never lead a legal case with an argument about morality
and I'm sure if the case was even halfway decently put together then the cookbook was just the assumed means and the thousands of nazi hate documents were the assumed motive, but the subsequent coverage of that is very off.

Probably because the English press can say "he had a book that says to put match heads in a tennis ball, terrible" with a lot more heart in their outrage than "he had hundreds of poorly researched thunkpieces that said that immigrants and Muslims are the cause of all Western ills."

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The Perfect Element posted:

Yeah I remember downloading the anarchist cookbook when I was 13 or something cos I thought it would make me a bad rear end.

I guess the police are now on their way.

I bought a hardback version from the book shop outside Uni during Fresher's week in 1991. How times have changed.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Djokovic was an average player who couldn't last in 5 set tournaments as he just didn't have the fitness and strength. Would regularly quit mid match 'injured' to avoid the stigma of losing and was just generally one of the most unpleasant players on the tour. Then he just explodes back onto the scene and grinds literally every player into the dust. Running players he couldn't so much as get a set off the previous season into the floor in 5 set marathons.

The gluten free diet was pulled out to use as a shield against the inevitable questions that arose from such a meteoric rise in such a short space of time in a sport where the most dominant players have genetic freak levels of endurance. It remains one of the most obvious cases of doping in sport I have seen in my lifetime and Tennis' just total inaction on this and the several other ludicrous examples have tainted the sport for a decade.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

feedmegin posted:

As all of us keep telling you over and over, it's because picking even all three of those only gets you half the content these days (and I note this is moving the goalposts from your 'just get Netflix' and updating your what tenner a month outlay to more like 40 to still not get half the things you might want to watch).

I didn't say "get all three/four" streaming services per month. (I mean you can if you can afford it.)
What I was saying was if you want entertainment, just pick one streaming service and watch what you want on it. If you pick any of those services there is easily a few months worth of entertainment on it. You just signed up for Netflix? Try out the Witcher, Umbrella Accademy and Stranger Things.

If you want to watch specific shows and they are on different streaming platforms, just prioritize which one is easiest to get with the service you have and you can always watch the other shows when you switch providers a few months down the line. You want to watch the Boys and the Expanse? They'll be waiting for you on Prime Video whenever you sign up.

But if you really can't wait, sure go ahead and pirate it so you can have it now.

But it really doesn't seem that convenient to setup a personal media server, download a bunch of shows to have them ready. If it's a show that's not on any service, I get that. But going "A Netflix subscription is no longer the perfectly optimum return of money to entertainment. So now I'll just pirate everything I want from all of them" seems strange.

Between work and a new baby, the wife and I only have like an hour to two a day to watch stuff. So we just focus on one or two series at a time, which helps us to no longer have huge libraries of material to chose from and then spending half an hour trying to choose what to watch.
It's sort of a "want the stuff you have, not want more stuff that you then don't really use."

I also think the earlier post about computer touchers seeing all problems as requiring technical solutions that are simple (to them) rings very true.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

serious gaylord posted:

Djokovic was an average player who couldn't last in 5 set tournaments as he just didn't have the fitness and strength. Would regularly quit mid match 'injured' to avoid the stigma of losing and was just generally one of the most unpleasant players on the tour. Then he just explodes back onto the scene and grinds literally every player into the dust. Running players he couldn't so much as get a set off the previous season into the floor in 5 set marathons.

The gluten free diet was pulled out to use as a shield against the inevitable questions that arose from such a meteoric rise in such a short space of time in a sport where the most dominant players have genetic freak levels of endurance. It remains one of the most obvious cases of doping in sport I have seen in my lifetime and Tennis' just total inaction on this and the several other ludicrous examples have tainted the sport for a decade.

Somehow I've never heard of this before, have you got a link to an article or something? Not doubting it, just interested. I didn't know that Djokovic was that mediocre in the past, my interest in tennis comes and goes and I just remember him bursting onto the scene and doing like you said, grinding everyone down

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

The gluten free diet was pulled out to use as a shield against the inevitable questions that arose from such a meteoric rise in such a short space of time i

See anytime someone starts talking about marginal gains.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Jeremy Vine is right up there with Dick Dawkins in allowing his tweets to reveal how spectacularly dim he is

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

ThomasPaine posted:

Lower Decks is really good, would definitely recommend. Way better than Discovery, which is fun in places but really suffers from a need to be super cinematic at all times and have tons of big set piece action scenes. Nobody is going into Star Trek wanting more cool explosions. Some of the best episodes of TNG involved basically nothing happening but Data looking after a cat while Troi and Crusher moaned about men over ice cream sundaes and Picard had a wild time with a haunted alien flute.

So this reminds me of Picard which was the most disappointing Star Trek series I've watched. I won't do a full breakdown, but the best part of the show was the episode where Picard, Riker and Troi basically sit down and have dinner in Riker's Itallian style villa. Because it feels like old friends catching up and is really good.

The worst part of the show was Spending an entire season inserting the Borg into the plot, having them end up on the same planet where all bug plot stuff is happening.
And then when the Reapers from Mass Effect show up to do a huge "Organics versus Artificial life" plot, you don't have the Borg be brought in as a way to resolve this conflict?
like what was even the point in bringing the Borg along if they aren't going to interact with the main story?

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, I know TQIRL says

and I'm sure if the case was even halfway decently put together then the cookbook was just the assumed means and the thousands of nazi hate documents were the assumed motive, but the subsequent coverage of that is very off.

Probably because the English press can say "he had a book that says to put match heads in a tennis ball, terrible" with a lot more heart in their outrage than "he had hundreds of poorly researched thunkpieces that said that immigrants and Muslims are the cause of all Western ills."

I think you have a correct view of this. As strange as it sounds, having hundreds of racist, dumb books makes you look like an rear end in a top hat. But not necessarily a crime.
Rather than go down a legal grey area of asking the court to assign "is this book sedation inspiring?" Just use it as an aggravating material where you can prowecute them for having a book that is marked as "terrorist material."

I know it comes up over here in Special Criminal Court for trials on people being Members of the IRA where having certain specific books like The Green Book (which I think is more of a pamphlets) are likely to get you convicted. Even though there would almost certainly be more up to date information that you could find using YouTube.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Green_Book_(IRA)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

The Question IRL posted:

I didn't say "get all three/four" streaming services per month. (I mean you can if you can afford it.)
What I was saying was if you want entertainment, just pick one streaming service and watch what you want on it. If you pick any of those services there is easily a few months worth of entertainment on it. You just signed up for Netflix? Try out the Witcher, Umbrella Accademy and Stranger Things.

If you want to watch specific shows and they are on different streaming platforms, just prioritize which one is easiest to get with the service you have and you can always watch the other shows when you switch providers a few months down the line. You want to watch the Boys and the Expanse? They'll be waiting for you on Prime Video whenever you sign up.

But if you really can't wait, sure go ahead and pirate it so you can have it now.

But it really doesn't seem that convenient to setup a personal media server, download a bunch of shows to have them ready. If it's a show that's not on any service, I get that. But going "A Netflix subscription is no longer the perfectly optimum return of money to entertainment. So now I'll just pirate everything I want from all of them" seems strange.

Between work and a new baby, the wife and I only have like an hour to two a day to watch stuff. So we just focus on one or two series at a time, which helps us to no longer have huge libraries of material to chose from and then spending half an hour trying to choose what to watch.
It's sort of a "want the stuff you have, not want more stuff that you then don't really use."

I also think the earlier post about computer touchers seeing all problems as requiring technical solutions that are simple (to them) rings very true.

It doesn't have to be this hard!
I have a load of films, series etc on a hard disk drive connected to my laptop.

Roku:
I go on the roku and select 'media streaming'.
On my Windows 10 laptop, I type 'media streaming' in the search box and open the app and check the media streaming option is on.
So long as the laptop and roku are both connected to the same wifi connection, roku has a bit of think then pulls up your laptop. Click it, and options appear. you might have to add your entertainment folder to your Windows 10 library if I remember correctly which is about 2 clicks.

Non roku:
Chrome cast play it on your laptop and cast it to the tv.

re Not Watching Everything chat:

I have the entire Outlander. I watched series 1 which ends with jamie and claire sailing off into the sunset in Summer 2020.
I'm torn between my nature as a 'completer' to want to watch all the rest, and the fact that by the end of series 1 I was finding Miss Goody Twoshoes Claire completely annoying.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 6, 2022