Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

crispix posted:

so official covid policy is now let 'er rip, eh :coronatoot:

The SAGE documents were pretty stark - the government needed to increase measures on the 28th of December and keep them in place until February or March to make a dent in the case rate and the resulting consequences so they didn't pull the trigger and now we're all on Bojos Wild Adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The front page of the sun today helpfully informed me that "we can ride the wave" which sounds lovely if you ignore that the wave is composed of human bodies.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Honestly that result in the Colston trial is loving incredible. Yet another reminder of how brilliant a jury based system is.

So jury trials are something that is super rare in the world.
Pretty much the only places that use them are common law jurisdictions and even then it's not for all offences.
Though for every case where a jury makes the decision not to convict in the face of overwhelming evidence because it's the right thing to do, you get cases like John Thiery being acquited of using racist language by a jury of 12 people who I am sure showed up to court wearing England jearseys.

I've heard a few stories from jurors about how they went about their deliberations.
That was one time I did not want to see how the sausage got made.
Going to jury trial is a complete roll of the dice as to results.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

OwlFancier posted:

The front page of the sun today helpfully informed me that "we can ride the wave" which sounds lovely if you ignore that the wave is composed of human bodies.

Taste the Rainbow*

*the rainbow represents human suffering

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
The wave:

Mebh
May 10, 2010

On covid - fuuuucking hell. I'm staying inside forever. I just installed fallout 76. I think spending time in a post apocalyptic wasteland where you have to murder others for clean water and medications, get addicted to painkillers and then get murdered by giant bees is sounding quite positive...

On streaming, once they all split up and services like Disney plus started charging for content on addition to a sub we said gently caress it and went back to dubious means.

My recommendation is a paid vpn and stremio. A streaming service aggregator that looks very above board until you look a little closer at the settings and realise if you tinker with it a bit, it also streams off certain arr matey related services.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

namesake posted:

Bojos Wild Adventure.
'Mr. Johnson's Mild Ride'

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

London would seem to say otherwise - the headline admissions number looks scary but, crucially, that number is people admitted with covid, not because of it. Yes I know this is the sort of thing that conspiracy theorists were shouting about a while ago but we are in a very, very different world than we were when "They're putting car crashes down as covid deaths!" was the mating call of the pink man.

The number to really look at is the amount of people on ventilators and right now, a month after London's case rates went up almost 200%, the number on ventilators has gone up... 10% (and even that number is with, not of). For comparison it had *quadrupled* by this point in the Alpha wave last winter, and doubled a month after "Freedom day" at the start of the Delta wave, and those were both with far, far lower case rates. This is partly the lower severity of Omicron, but is mostly the result of vaccinations - and London is the least-vaccinated part of the country.

Obviously I'm not saying there's any merit to the choices they've made - just that talking about bodies rotting in the streets just plays into the hands of the "working from home is the real hate crime" crowd because they'll be able to point at the fact that not as many people died as some predicted to write the whole thing off as a storm in a teacup, and it also distracts from the fact that the NHS is still likely to collapse in some areas just from staff shortages breaking the camel's back, which will be of course the spark for another round of privatisations.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I was (and I’m sure some can correct me as this is searching the deep archives of my memory), under the impression the CPS is, like every government funded part of society, buckling under the weight of lack of proper funding and cost cutting measures.

Oh and a distressingly large amount of our legal system is propped up using volunteers with minimal legal training. Now you might wonder what sort of person deciding the fate of their fellow man would attract. Seems that despite being kicked out at 70, 49% of magistrates are over 60. 1% are under 30.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The main issue for the NHS is that staff who test positive have to stay at home.
Yeah, it doesn't cause serious complications as frequently as previous strains, but if the NHS is trying to deal with the same background level of serious illnesses, accidents and whatever as always, and they're trying to do so on significantly fewer available staff, that is really really bad.

Particularly because - as I've pointed out several times - this has been going on for almost 2 years at this point from a starting point where there were 50,000 nursing vacancies in the NHS. Staff are broken.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
i can't find a tennis thread to lol about that twat Djokovic. so lol.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The number to really look at is the amount of people on ventilators and right now, a month after London's case rates went up almost 200%, the number on ventilators has gone up... 10% (and even that number is with, not of). For comparison it had *quadrupled* by this point in the Alpha wave last winter, and doubled a month after "Freedom day" at the start of the Delta wave, and those were both with far, far lower case rates. This is partly the lower severity of Omicron, but is mostly the result of vaccinations - and London is the least-vaccinated part of the country.
Right, but that kind of thinking is the starting point for the shitheads who extend that to "and that's why we shouldn't lock down, because normal people aren't dying of it."

I'm not saying you're wrong or that you're saying that yourself, just that it's the starting point for a lot of very lovely lines of thought, some of which have been argued in this thread before.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i can't find a tennis thread to lol about that twat Djokovic. so lol.

Novax Djokovic.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

WhatEvil posted:

Novax Djokovic.

Novax Djokcovid!

As a one time aspiring archaeologist, Time Team made me extremely angry when I discovered how they worked. It was particularly bad in industrial places but it was true elsewhere that when they were after deeper levels they'd just dig straight through the overlying material with barely a cursory record of any of it.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 5, 2022

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Real Cool Catfish posted:

I was (and I’m sure some can correct me as this is searching the deep archives of my memory), under the impression the CPS is, like every government funded part of society, buckling under the weight of lack of proper funding and cost cutting measures.

Oh and a distressingly large amount of our legal system is propped up using volunteers with minimal legal training. Now you might wonder what sort of person deciding the fate of their fellow man would attract. Seems that despite being kicked out at 70, 49% of magistrates are over 60. 1% are under 30.

There are courts turning away cases all over the country, Barristers getting paid less than minimum wage to detail cases and anything to do with funding is completely hosed.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jan/05/uk-border-force-could-strike-over-channel-pushback-plan

quote:

The PCS and Care4Calais intend to challenge the lawfulness of redirecting boats out of UK waters and back to France.

The union said the policy “contravenes international law and is morally reprehensible”, and could expose Border Force officials to risk of prosecution.
Even if the court application is unsuccessful, the union has not ruled out industrial action and officials refusing to carry out the pushbacks.

The PCS general secretary, Mark Serwotka, said: “The legality of the pushbacks policy is in serious question, and it is right that the court decides whether it is unlawful to turn back Channel boats. We cannot have a situation where our members could be open to potential civil and criminal action for implementing a policy that they do not agree with and know is not safe.

“Although we are hoping for a positive outcome from the legal proceedings, people should be in no doubt PCS strongly opposes this policy, on moral and humanitarian grounds, and we will not rule out industrial action to prevent it being carried out.”

Clare Moseley, the founder of Care4Calais, said: “The proposed policy deprioritises the UK’s duty under domestic and international law to save lives at sea. It is for good reason that this duty is a cornerstone of international maritime law. If eroded, I fear it will enable the UK to devalue lives at sea.”

“It risks opening the gates to the horrific scenes we are seeing in the Mediterranean,” she added.

A Home Office spokesperson said: “As part of our ongoing operational response and to prevent further loss of life at sea, we continue to test a range of safe and legal options to stop small boats making this dangerous and unnecessary journey.

“These all comply and are delivered in accordance with both domestic and international law. Our New Plan for Immigration will also overhaul the broken asylum system and reduce many of the historic pull factors.”

Despite the home secretary’s pledge to make crossings an “infrequent phenomenon” by spring 2020, more than 36,000 people have succeeded in reaching the UK in the last two years.

The government continues to consider various options to tackle the issue and has invited businesses to a non-disclosure-agreement-bound meeting in the hope of hearing “innovative ideas”.

:allbuttons:

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Lungboy posted:

Novax Djokcovid!

drat that's good. And it was right there.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
gently caress, the av potential here is off the charts

https://twitter.com/images_ai/status/1478863259004555264?t=dnUgNrIeackxXNrTTtC_lg&s=19

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

"So you're striking because it's absolutely amoral?"

"No, we're striking because we don't want to be liable for the murders."

Ah, cool. Border force still cunts.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

"So you're striking because it's absolutely amoral?"

"No, we're striking because we don't want to be liable for the murders."

Ah, cool. Border force still cunts.

Um they say in the article that they oppose the policy on moral and ethical grounds.
They are bringing the legal challenge on the basis it could open them up to court action if they followed it, but they make it very clear that the policy is wrong (not to mention that it erodes a central tennant of maritime law/ethics being to save lives.)

It's just that you never lead a legal case with an argument about morality.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/04/past-convictions-for-homosexual-activity-to-be-wiped-from-records-patel-to-announce

Gj, now do :catdrugs:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
This is nice but please don't let the magic trick distract you from the enormous crisis

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't see why you would join the border force if not to gun down refugees in the channel tbh. That's just the logical endpoint of your entire job.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
They get the coolest boats out of all the forces tbf. Like it’s a villain chic aesthetic but still.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Lungboy posted:

As a one time aspiring archaeologist, Time Team made me extremely angry when I discovered how they worked. It was particularly bad in industrial places but it was true elsewhere that when they were after deeper levels they'd just dig straight through the overlying material with barely a cursory record of any of it.

AFAIK this is basically just how archaeology is done. Time Team actually fairly faithfully recreated the circumstances under which most archaeology is done - ie. under a time limit. Most digs happen because someone is building something, they discover something while excavating for it, and then archaeologists are given a very short time to investigate before the building continues.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

As someone who was a working archaeologist for a number of years, yes commercial archaeology is often done under time pressure (days/weeks for a dig typically). You don't use an excavator to take anything but topsoil but you still go through it a lot faster than people probably expect. Excavation is destruction by its very nature. So long as you're properly recording there's no point dicking about.

Mind you I don't know what Time Teams practices were. I'm acquainted with a few who worked on it and it wasn't the methodology they were complaining about at least.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

London would seem to say otherwise - the headline admissions number looks scary but, crucially, that number is people admitted with covid, not because of it. Yes I know this is the sort of thing that conspiracy theorists were shouting about a while ago but we are in a very, very different world than we were when "They're putting car crashes down as covid deaths!" was the mating call of the pink man.

Obviously I'm not saying there's any merit to the choices they've made - just that talking about bodies rotting in the streets just plays into the hands of the "working from home is the real hate crime" crowd because they'll be able to point at the fact that not as many people died as some predicted to write the whole thing off as a storm in a teacup, and it also distracts from the fact that the NHS is still likely to collapse in some areas just from staff shortages breaking the camel's back, which will be of course the spark for another round of privatisations.

I suggest reading this thread from New York, which also has an uncontrolled outbreak. Omicron is still causing carnage, but it's doing so in a quite different way to previous waves - it's rarely lethal in and of itself, but it's both gumming up hospitals and making already-sick people much sicker. Remember that hospitals are, by definition, where unwell people go, so they're a veritable buffet of pre-existing conditions for a ludicrously infectious variant of a serious disease to exacerbate.

https://twitter.com/craig_a_spencer/status/1478217081959108614?s=21

As a personal anecdote, there's a homeless lady in town who I semi-regularly chat to. She recently started coughing up blood, wanted to find out why, and when she talked to a doctor, she was asked to take the train to Bristol because the hospitals here in Bath (and I'm talking proper, big city hospitals here) can't take any more patients with respiratory issues. So yeah, if you see someone begging on the streets, I'd strongly advise giving them a tenner or twenty in transport cash - they're amongst the most medically vulnerable people in the country, and there's no longer any guarantee that if they do get sick, they'll just be able to walk or cycle to their local hospital for treatment.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Jakabite posted:

Chip advice needed, goons.

So, the other day I made what I think might just be the perfect chip.

Boiled for longer than you'd think you'd need, skin on, in salty water, until the skin starts to fall off. Put the chipped potatoes in while the water is still cold though to ensure even cooking. Meanwhile heat duck fat in a baking tray in a fan oven at 200. Once chips are boiled, colander and shake vigorously. Leave to dry off for 10-15 minutes while the fat gets super hot and finish with a pat dry with kitchen roll. Then put em in the boiling hot fat and stick em in the oven for 25. Flip after 25 and leave for another 30. Take em out, onto a plate covered in kitchen roll, then pat dry again with kitchen roll. Is there anything, other than maybe some rosemary, I could be doing better? I really feel like I've got this down to a fine art but I'm always looking to improve my chip game.

Flour perhaps? It feels like it might be over kill as they're already very crispy. I might try with bigger spuds as the King Edwards I'm using do make a quite small chip.

Duck fat.

Wayfaring Stranger
Feb 16, 2011

Random Integer posted:

As someone who was a working archaeologist for a number of years, yes commercial archaeology is often done under time pressure (days/weeks for a dig typically). You don't use an excavator to take anything but topsoil but you still go through it a lot faster than people probably expect. Excavation is destruction by its very nature. So long as you're properly recording there's no point dicking about.

Mind you I don't know what Time Teams practices were. I'm acquainted with a few who worked on it and it wasn't the methodology they were complaining about at least.

High five commercial arch buddy! Seconding all that. The time frames for mitigations are agreed with the client, and based on expected encounters with archaeology. Through geophysics (what I do) and/or trial trenching, the teams get a sense of what's there before the topsoil gets stripped off. That's the difference between a 3 month job and a year-long one. The only time we run in while other non-arch crews are working is what's called a watching brief, and that has to do with the installation of pipelines/cables, where subsurface intervention has a smaller footprint.

I think what folk may not know is that everything gets sampled, rather than fully excavated. So, I was working on a big site near Didcot and we excavated half the pits (as in every pit, but half the contents) and 1-metre sections in every 10m of ditch, but all human remains. It still produced a fuckton of material for analysis.

Similarly, my only encounters with time team have been with the by-episode experts (Stewart Ainsworth and Helen Geake are both super lovely), and passing Phil Harding in the corridors at Wessex in Salisbury so I'm not able to comment on the methodology.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

WhatEvil posted:

Novax Djokovic.

Djerkovic

And I just saw this and yeah while pixelated boat is known for his fake posts, this is 100% real. Djokovic is just tremendously stupid but has such ego that nobody will tell him

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1478982979397455874?s=21

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Noxville posted:

Djerkovic

And I just saw this and yeah while pixelated boat is known for his fake posts, this is 100% real. Djokovic is just tremendously stupid but has such ego that nobody will tell him

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1478982979397455874?s=21

idgi

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

...the NHS is still likely to collapse in some areas just from staff shortages breaking the camel's back, which will be of course the spark for another round of privatisations.

Mrs Comrade messaged me this morning. Only 2 of them on labour ward today, meant to be 8.
We'll be eating dinner at 10pm again today.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I feel we're, at most, a week away from people being told they should still go to work if they test positive. It feels like society might genuinely collapse otherwise.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

...yes, that's what he said he uses?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Duck fat.

Phrakusca
Feb 16, 2011

https://youtu.be/14e1ZHg7zNw

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Western medicine is hosed up.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Lying on my back covered in slices of hovis as a fat duck is waved slowly over me to determine my thetan levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Lying on my back covered in slices of hovis as a fat duck is waved slowly over me to determine my thetan levels.

Heston Blumenthal really relies too much on gimmicks