Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Is there a way to make specific buffs larger and more obvious? I would find monk much easier to play if I could tell at a glance when I have Leaden Fist and how long I have left on Disciplined Fist. Those two don't stand out enough with the default size, but blowing up the entire buff bar would be too distracting, especially on other jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bleck posted:

So what y'all are saying is once I get my Bard to level 50, it's faster to just run my highest available dungeon repeatedly than it is to do the leveling roulette once a day?

I don't think anyone said that? Levelling roulette is always worth the time.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don't know what it's like at 50, but above 80, with one 90 for the armory bonus, and the FC heat of battle buff, it takes about 2.5 dungeons to get a full level. 5 highest level dungeons is an easy 2 levels.

I don't run exp roulettes because the risk of a boring low level dungeon isn't worth the extra experience compared to that.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If you're after the Exp, always do at least leveling roulette. "Farm your highest available dungeon" is advice for what to do when you need more Exp and you've already done your rou(s).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
For color jails, there's also what I call the "2-brain" strat, because it only requires two people in the party to have a brain. If you have the easy pattern, everyone just does their clock spot. If you have the hard pattern, the off tank and a designated flex dps (doesn't matter which dps, as long as their spot is an intercard) do their clockspot first, trade clock spots third, and do whichever color makes that work second. The exact movement changes depending on whether it's top first or bottom first, but the idea is the same so you don't actually have to memorize it. You just have to do colors

one of the other popular strats is what I call 3-brain because it requires three people in the party to have a brain. This makes it largely inferior for the purpose of PF

PF really ought to just do tank damage down but this game is full of petty parse-hungry drama llamas

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I don't know what it's like at 50, but above 80, with one 90 for the armory bonus, and the FC heat of battle buff, it takes about 2.5 dungeons to get a full level. 5 highest level dungeons is an easy 2 levels.

I don't run exp roulettes because the risk of a boring low level dungeon isn't worth the extra experience compared to that.

I do think it's very funny that there's some people, all relative newbies, who honestly feel ARR dungeons are more fun and interesting than what comes later.

Meanwhile literally everyone who actually runs leveling roulette is like, :aloom:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Noper Q posted:

Is there a way to make specific buffs larger and more obvious? I would find monk much easier to play if I could tell at a glance when I have Leaden Fist and how long I have left on Disciplined Fist. Those two don't stand out enough with the default size, but blowing up the entire buff bar would be too distracting, especially on other jobs.

Unfortunately no. A maintenance buff on yourself is really the sort of thing that should be on the job gauge rather than the buff bar.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I spent so long in ARR looking at my buff timers that it was entrenched in my brain before HW added job guages and now I find it easier to watch the buffs than the guage when both are an option

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

With leveling roulette, if you have an actual party of four, the party leader can and should turn on the Limited Roulette option which limits it to the 2 or 3 highest level dungeons that all four people in the party can do. So if you're all level 76 you'll only get a ShB dungeon in leveling, and so on. It at least keeps you from ever seeing Toto-Rak. Can't do if you queue less than a Light Party though.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Apologies for disregarding Frontlines, I just loathe PvP in any shape or form it takes.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If you're playing not-DPS you can make a decent case for skipping LDR and just doing the highest level dungeon for slightly less XP but leveling gear/glams and a change of pace from STONE VIGIL/STONE VIGIL/DARKHOLD/STONE VIGIL

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Runa posted:

I do think it's very funny that there's some people, all relative newbies, who honestly feel ARR dungeons are more fun and interesting than what comes later.

Meanwhile literally everyone who actually runs leveling roulette is like, :aloom:
I definitely see the argument that earlier dungeons tend to have more "character" in ways, with side rooms, extra mobs, weird gimmicks like the slime you can't hurt in copperbell, or the colour "puzzle" in Satasha, where as later dungeons are kind of formulaic combination of 2-3 groups of mob, wall, 2-3 groups of mobs, boss, repeat.

But all the character in the world does not make me want to play Darkhold or Arum Vale.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Runa posted:

Yeah, well, MMO players are fundamentally broken in one way or the other. Still don't know why people think it's more interesting to have dead ends you're never visit and enemies you won't fight.

Aside from the terrible outliers, I don't care about the dungeons so much. It's just with the ability pruned skillsets of lower level jobs, and the wide variance of power levels (dancers and reapers one-shotting things, dragoons pretending to contribute), they're just extremely boring. I guess it doesn't help I've been running them since 2014.

But even then, the only remotely interesting parts of the dungeons - the bosses - are incomparably better at the high levels. I'd much rather spend a little, and only a little, more time doing the better fights with the bigger skill set than get dumped back into thousand maws again.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I will say I like boss arenas in ARR not being perfect geometric shapes all the time, there's much more of a sense of place than the abstract combat zones of SB onwards

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Some (but definitely not all) of the ARR 50s are still pretty cool imo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think the Twintania fight having a geometry-based exploit scared them off of ever having interesting geometry in boss rooms ever again

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think even by the 2.x patch content they were mostly standardized on flat circles or squares for most boss arenas.

I don't really mind the layouts.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Oxyclean posted:

I definitely see the argument that earlier dungeons tend to have more "character" in ways, with side rooms, extra mobs, weird gimmicks like the slime you can't hurt in copperbell, or the colour "puzzle" in Satasha, where as later dungeons are kind of formulaic combination of 2-3 groups of mob, wall, 2-3 groups of mobs, boss, repeat.

But all the character in the world does not make me want to play Darkhold or Arum Vale.

Yeah, I mean, "character" for dungeons is cool.... if you only have to do it once. But MMO-players more than anyone have "gamer brain" and must optimize everything. Dungeon "character" suddenly becomes something annoying that slows down efficiency.

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

No Dignity posted:

I will say I like boss arenas in ARR not being perfect geometric shapes all the time, there's much more of a sense of place than the abstract combat zones of SB onwards

As a long time WoW raider who came over during the summer, Jesus I struggle with the raid arenas so much. Evidently I took all of my positioning queues from the arena itself, so bouncing into my first Savage and trying to learn on the fly to pay attention to cardinals on my minimap was a surprisingly big challenge.

Like I've gotten way better but it's still a lot of overhead thinking I have yet to master, and oh boy it's unpleasant.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

FuturePastNow posted:

With leveling roulette, if you have an actual party of four, the party leader can and should turn on the Limited Roulette option which limits it to the 2 or 3 highest level dungeons that all four people in the party can do. So if you're all level 76 you'll only get a ShB dungeon in leveling, and so on. It at least keeps you from ever seeing Toto-Rak. Can't do if you queue less than a Light Party though.

You absolutely can do this in less than a Light Party, I do it all the time and it basically gives you a limit of 7-11 levels worth of dungeons.

I have not seen an ARR dungeon on my Red Mage since using that button, and definitely only saw Stormblood and Shadowbringer dungeons through 70-85 or so.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
the option literally states it only works for a full party and i've absolutely gotten toto-rak with it on for a party of 3

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bragon posted:

As a long time WoW raider who came over during the summer, Jesus I struggle with the raid arenas so much. Evidently I took all of my positioning queues from the arena itself, so bouncing into my first Savage and trying to learn on the fly to pay attention to cardinals on my minimap was a surprisingly big challenge.

Like I've gotten way better but it's still a lot of overhead thinking I have yet to master, and oh boy it's unpleasant.

Ideally, waymarks will help, and also ideally, the main tank will keep the boss pointing north so you can use the boss as your guide. If you are the main tank, welp

Waymarks are the way though, not the minimap compass indicator

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah, well, MMO players are fundamentally broken in one way or the other. Still don't know why people think it's more interesting to have dead ends you're never visit and enemies you won't fight.

It does help the dungeon feel like an actual place you're visiting rather than a themed corridor with conveniently placed temporary barriers.

It's not more interesting past the first time you run it, and it feels like Square has gotten better over time at making dungeons feel like events you're running through, particularly from StB on. I like what they've settled on, but it leaves some Heavensward dungeons in an awkward-feeling spot.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

You absolutely can do this in less than a Light Party, I do it all the time and it basically gives you a limit of 7-11 levels worth of dungeons.

I have not seen an ARR dungeon on my Red Mage since using that button, and definitely only saw Stormblood and Shadowbringer dungeons through 70-85 or so.

That's just a function of probability, with only one being brought in randomly your chances of getting a higher level dungeon are greater than if there are 3. The option will never prevent you from getting a low level dungeon if you happen to get picked to fill in for the one person queuing for it deliberately because that would defeat the purpose of a roulette.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Part of their stated explanation to going down to one dungeon per patch was that it gave their artists the time to make the assets necessary to make each dungeon an interesting spectacle, so that's why stormblood is where they start to be good at that kind of design (because stormblood alternated 2 and 1 dungeons per patch, so every other patch got a high-spectacle dungeon)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah, I mean, "character" for dungeons is cool.... if you only have to do it once. But MMO-players more than anyone have "gamer brain" and must optimize everything. Dungeon "character" suddenly becomes something annoying that slows down efficiency.

Given FF14 is a game that kind of insists on letting almost none of it's content fall into irrelevancy, I almost can't blame people for not wanting to deal with a gimmick designed nearly 10 years ago that they barely can remember.

Like, the general design of modern FF14 is pretty fantastic where it's not too hard to learn things through observation - but there's just a lot of old content, particularly ARR content that feels very much like "someone in your party will tell you how this one works"

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Regy Rusty posted:

That's just a function of probability, with only one being brought in randomly your chances of getting a higher level dungeon are greater than if there are 3. The option will never prevent you from getting a low level dungeon if you happen to get picked to fill in for the one person queuing for it deliberately because that would defeat the purpose of a roulette.

Well then I am super glad I got good confirmation bias because I figured that was the button for please don’t put me in Santasha today.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I’m both still not over the shield bug in p2s and that it happened to my group in the run we cleared it after it wiped out half our party

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

The most dangerous bumper cars you’ve ever seen

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Is that the bug where if you don't take damage from slamming into each other it counts as a failure despite doing the mechanic correctly?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

SettingSun posted:

Is that the bug where if you don't take damage from slamming into each other it counts as a failure despite doing the mechanic correctly?

Yes, listed as a known issue right now on the lodestone too

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

SettingSun posted:

Sure is https://clips.twitch.tv/CourteousViscousApeHassaanChop-R6h6jfFrwYets9V7

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Lord_Magmar posted:

Well then I am super glad I got good confirmation bias because I figured that was the button for please don’t put me in Santasha today.

If you're a bad boy then Santasha puts a Totorock in your stocking.

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Ideally, waymarks will help, and also ideally, the main tank will keep the boss pointing north so you can use the boss as your guide. If you are the main tank, welp

As it happens, I switched to tank for EW and always lose MT chicken by zoning in with Defiance on. Squatting north did solve 90% of my issues. I still have to think twice about cardinal / intercard mechanics but I'm getting there!

I played DPS for the end of ShB content though, and it didn't help that the FF14 vets I was playing with had like 0 understanding of how this could even be an issue. At least it's no longer a huge issue.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oxyclean posted:

Like, the general design of modern FF14 is pretty fantastic where it's not too hard to learn things through observation - but there's just a lot of old content, particularly ARR content that feels very much like "someone in your party will tell you how this one works"

I did both Pharos Sirius dungeons in roulette this past week and I understood literally nothing about anything any of the bosses did lol

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
One of my fc mates is one of those afk aetheryte dancers and is very proud when he's recognized for it. Posts screen grabs in discord if he's mentioned on reddit as a sort of landmark. It's... Something.

Collecting all these materials to do studium stuff is starting to trigger "collection completion" brain and oh no, I'm gonna try to fill these logs in, aren't i

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

cheetah7071 posted:

Waymarks are great, though the arenas of nearly every boss with Actual Mechanics have floor or wall patterns that show you where to stand (though often very abstract and it only becomes evident what the patterns mean after you've been exploded several times).

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I did both Pharos Sirius dungeons in roulette this past week and I understood literally nothing about anything any of the bosses did lol

Yeah, same. Zu in Pharos Sirius in particular made me salty cause it just has this attack that annihilators poo poo and stuns if you do mechanics slightly wrong or something. I even tried looking up how to do it quickly (you wanna kill only certain eggs I think?) and it still went very ugly.

That Zu is the Final Fantasy equivalent of a canadian goose. Just the angriest and meanest bird.

That dungeon is also weird in having 4 bosses.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Part of it I think is the nature of being allowed to out-gear/out-potency old dungeons so hard, you don't really have to reckon with the mechanics much until maybe you suddenly get dead and have no idea what you did but hey the tank (and/or healer) finished off the boss so just keep going!

(Tyrant was always a weird pseudo-boss, though, it was weird on release for being such a nothing fight.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, same. Zu in Pharos Sirius in particular made me salty cause it just has this attack that annihilators poo poo and stuns if you do mechanics slightly wrong or something. I even tried looking up how to do it quickly (you wanna kill only certain eggs I think?) and it still went very ugly.

That Zu is the Final Fantasy equivalent of a canadian goose. Just the angriest and meanest bird.

That dungeon is also weird in having 4 bosses.

I'm pretty sure that the way the Zu works is that every time you kill an egg, the Zu gets 2 stacks of go gently caress yourself. It will do some kind of dive bomb at some point that does damage based on these stacks and at 8 stacks its probably gonna kill any non-tank it hits. In Ye Olden days you killed the eggs that were going to hatch a cockerel and left the others hatch and killed them that way and that would keep overall damage low. I don't remember what differentiates cockerel eggs from hatchlings though. Also it will take to the sky and keep dive bombing the tank so the tank needs to run around the edge of the arena when this happens.