Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

And half of the country just got hammered with storms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Upgrade posted:

In the future I wouldn’t put in notice until you sign an offer and go through any background checks
Haven't put in notice just yet, that's why I want the offer letter, so I can be sure to be ready on the day we agreed

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Haven't put in notice just yet, that's why I want the offer letter, so I can be sure to be ready on the day we agreed

Ahh that makes more sense. Yea first day back from a holiday and a ton of storms

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Upgrade posted:

And half of the country just got hammered with storms

And roughly 1 in 10 people have covid in my state

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

CarForumPoster posted:

And roughly 1 in 10 people have covid in my state

I have faith that we can make it even higher!

Good call, I once screwed myself out of PTO payout not being able to give 2 weeks’ notice as they dragged rear end sending the official offer letter (got worried it might not come) but the start date was firm.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are there still goons doing resume reviews / improvements (and maybe LinkedIn sprucing up)? I'm willing to pay for it of course, preferably to someone with a positive track record and such. I'd like to utilize this community over Reddit or some random service I get ads for on LinkedIn.

Please PM me or reply here with contact info and I'll get in touch.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

obeyasia posted:

Are there still goons doing resume reviews / improvements (and maybe LinkedIn sprucing up)? I'm willing to pay for it of course, preferably to someone with a positive track record and such. I'd like to utilize this community over Reddit or some random service I get ads for on LinkedIn.

I'm happy to take a look and give some pointers, no fee or anything. I don't know of anyone who will do a rewrite currently. Honestly I'd say do a little personal info redaction and post it in the channel, there are several people who can give quite good advice and its always best to get multiple opinions.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

obeyasia posted:

Parahexavoctal's service is great.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lockback posted:

I'm happy to take a look and give some pointers, no fee or anything. I don't know of anyone who will do a rewrite currently. Honestly I'd say do a little personal info redaction and post it in the channel, there are several people who can give quite good advice and its always best to get multiple opinions.

Okay, anyone who's brave enough can find it here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BJQjBM0Na97cLglHhxRsJZucYJVt7qdPKWm9btHq2MQ/edit?usp=sharing

This looks familiar. I think they helped me with some papers in college. Thanks!

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I'm not a fan of the executive summary or the help desk job and suggest you remove them for a more compact, targeted relevance one page resume.

I don't like the nested bullets.

Your bullets in some places seem wordy, awkward (e.g. Monthly, I did stuff), or unnecessary (publishing reports).

I'd love some quantitative figures (trained 8 employees, nixed engagement with 12 percent of potential vendors due to security risks, etc.) if such figures exist or are reasonably estimated.

I'm not sure how I feel about the exec summaries of each of your jobs before thghr bullets. I get it, though. I think ideally your bullets would provide all the details necessary for a reader to construct that summary at a high level. Are you targeting jobs where your responsibilities for a given title can be estimated?

It's useful to remember, IMO, that a resume is a marketing document. You've done a good job of telling me what you did. You haven't done a good job of convincing me that if I hire you, I'll look like a male model in a beer commercial, the regulatory agencies will all get off my back, and I'll get a six figure bonus just from the bang up job you'll do that I'll then take credit for.

That's what you should be targeting.

I will defer to other posters rather than dying on any of these hills. If no one else steps up, I can offer a more in depth analysis later.

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 6, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
^^I agree with all of these. Try to get this to 1 page. Cut down the old jobs to single line so your employment history looks good, but they don't need sections. Though I don't mind the nested bullets per se, I think they have encourage you to be wordy.

Don't use "Information Security focused with Pro-Level Soft Skills" Pro-Level sounds very youtube streamer. "Advanced Soft Skills" or "Strong Soft Skills"

Strong agree that this is not telling me what you're good at, just a list of things that describe jobs. People know what auditors and tech support people do, you don't need to tell them that. Instead explain why you were good at those jobs.

This is preferential but I'd list your education and certs up top. They are a strong selling point.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah every job applicant on Earth has awesome soft skills according to their resume. If you want me to put your resume in at least the "Maybe" pile after investing 30 seconds in reading it, I had drat well better quickly and easily find evidence of hard skills relevant to the role.

This is kind of A Thing for me that I really dislike even the phrase "soft skills". When that phrase enters my eyes or ears what my brain processes is "bullshit." But that's probably just me.

Strong agree with Lockback that your education and certs should be prominent here.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Agree with everything from three posts above.

Also, soft skills are shown, not told. You demonstrate it by describing your successful record at working with a diverse set of stakeholders. You demonstrate it by articulating specific choices you made within certain situations. You demonstrate it by seeming like a collegial, sociable human being in an interview.

Actually this is probably true of every skill — show, not tell.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

- Hard to scan. The deeply nested bullets with long sentences are hard to read. Play with other templates, potentially moving your education to the top and your (shortened) intro message to a side bar or something.
- Some of the stuff you include seems like a job description, not an accomplishment. Are you proud to say that you "Interviewed business unit leaders to get an end-to-end understanding of their processes and make formal requests for evidence to support their assertions. " or is that just a basic part of that job? IMO dropping things like this improve your resume.
- Read each paragraph of your resume and ask: how can I say the same thing but with fewer words? Then, put it down for 2 days and do the same thing. Repeat a 3rd time.
- IMO don't drop you help desk job but make it one line: Help Desk Analyst | Hospital1, City, State May 2015 – June 2017
- I too like education at the top. I like when people make my job easy and if a certain degree or cert put you in the top 50% of my candidates instantly, it is nice to knopw you have it. I will spend more time on your resume as I can't afford to put it in the easy no pile.
- Do a grammar check. You treat as proper nouns a bunch of things that probably aren't.
- Undefined acronyms = bad. HR doesnt know what that means.
- You do add a bit of extra info with your intro message but IMO it is too soft to be useful. You could get rid of it. If you dont want to, here's a suggested rewording.
Before:

quote:

Information Security focused with Pro-Level Soft Skills
I'm an analytical troubleshooter with superb soft skills and over a decade of people facing experience. My education and experience have prepared me to handle high-stress environments, rapidly changing goals, and multiple objectives. I feel that Governance, Risk, and Compliance (GRC) is a crucial part of information security; I have the skills and experience to deliver that message.

After:

quote:

Summary
Eight years of information security (IS) experience protecting banks from data leaks and ensuring compliance. Master's in cybersecurity management. I enjoy helping other stakeholders understand the value of IS and governance, risk, and compliance (GRC).

Do these things and it'll naturally end up 1 page.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Happiness Commando posted:

I'd love some quantitative figures (trained 8 employees, nixed engagement with 12 percent of potential vendors due to security risks, etc.) if such figures exist or are reasonably estimated.

How do you handle this when there aren't quantitative figures in your role? Currently I don't work on projects, have KPIs, or even have goals. No major accomplishments. I'm struggling to figure out the best way to put that on my resume beyond just my basic job description.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

In some respects, it's a privilege that some roles get KPIs and other don't. Sometimes you can fabricate numbers that seem plausible.

Do you have some resume bullet points or more details about your accomplishments to share? In the absence of context I'm struggling to come up with something.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm not in computer touching businesses with technical requirements for jobs but really, what does success in your role mean? How does your boss know that they shouldn't fire you because you are doing a good job? Describe and emphasize your performance that stuff.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Salami Surgeon posted:

How do you handle this when there aren't quantitative figures in your role? Currently I don't work on projects, have KPIs, or even have goals. No major accomplishments. I'm struggling to figure out the best way to put that on my resume beyond just my basic job description.

This isn't helpful but find something. Talk about the accomplishments of teams you support. Does success mean the building doesn't burn down? "Exceeded goal of 99.99% non-flammability". Things like "Supported department growth of over 2x" are also fine. You gotta dig.

FYI, even when you're not looking for jobs, you should be trying to think like that. Its almost universally an advancement boost if you can tie yourself to those kinda of things.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Salami Surgeon posted:

What do you do?

i.e. quantitatively,

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

How does your boss know that they shouldn't fire you because you are doing a good job?

EDIT: Post history says you're an engineer. Post industry, job title, level and 2 lines describing what you do. Theres ~5 people who hire engineers ITT, including myself. Someone will know the KPIs or know the right ? to help you figure them out.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 6, 2022

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Signed the offer letter, starting next week. Gave my job four days' notice as they refused to sign a contract with me earlier. They're being assholes about it, but whatever, gently caress them. I'm obligated to do literally nothing, transitioning off my work is just a courtesy and one they clearly don't deserve. An awful end to many awful years.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

whatever, gently caress them.

That's the spirit! That sounds sarcastic, but I mean that sincerely. You don't owe anyone anything except yourself. If they don't like it, well it sounds like you suddenly just gained a few more days off before starting your current position.

Also, my GF saw me writing this post and can't stop laughing at your forum name.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Magnetic North posted:

That's the spirit! That sounds sarcastic, but I mean that sincerely. You don't owe anyone anything except yourself. If they don't like it, well it sounds like you suddenly just gained a few more days off before starting your current position.

Also, my GF saw me writing this post and can't stop laughing at your forum name.
Thanks, I needed to read that, what with them all being tremendous assholes right now. Also glad I could make someone laff.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what does success in your role mean? How does your boss know that they shouldn't fire you because you are doing a good job?

I don't know! I ask myself that a lot! This isn't sarcasm! We used to have business plan goals, and most of the goals were dictated to us. But most of the goals were bullshit like "contribute towards [a company goal]" and "attend meetings". No metrics. One year I put a personal goal as "read a book" and was told I needed to list a specific book. 100% achieved.

I'm an engineer. My job title does not make sense. It's close to a field service engineer.
My main tasks are:
- When issues get escalated to me, I pour over our technical documentation to figure out what the issue is and how to fix it. If we don't have the documentation, I escalate it to design engineering for more information. If I can't figure out the issue or how to fix it, I escalate it to another group.
- If the issue is systemic, I document my investigation of the issue and do the Fight Club math to create a business case for a fix. I hand this off and am no longer part of the process. When I was part of the process I met with engineering to review production and field fixes, requested or sometimes created repair documentation, and figured out how that repair gets put into the field (recall, warranty, tell the customer to pound sand). But now those are handled by someone else.

We have a company goal of 99% uptime, but I don't even know how that is calculated much less how much my individual accomplishments contribute to it. I can't think of any other metrics I could list that would not completely fall apart in an interview.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

You do Application Support and/or Rapid Response development. Can you pull or reasonably estimate turnaround times? Can you get a reasonable idea of how many tickets you've cleared? Or how many commits you've made? Ideally if you can separate these by priority even better. Do you have numbers for how long it takes for you to pass along the issues? If you're doing that within 1 business day you're killing industry expectations. And yes, uptime is your metric too, so flaunt that.

One of the 4 teams I manage does this, along with a closely related monitoring/devops team. We track Jiras, projects, and turnarounds (though I really detest leaderboards so this is obfuscated slightly). I've been told everytime this team intercepts a problem we're probably backstopping a $10k interruption. The recovery efforts are probably closer to $50k. We also do some experiments and prestige projects during slow time so those are good resume bullets.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I forgot to mention industry: commercial equipment. I don't really handle software, for me it's treated like a component. So one revision of software would get a part number like SW-123.4 and a revision of a screw would get PN-M5x100.1. So in my investigation documentation, causal component could be listed as SW-123.4 or PN-M5x100.1. I'm not getting into any code. I'm also not designing any parts. I have no authority the release parts or ECNs. That has to come from engineering if my business case gets accepted.

I don't really have a ticket system. The one we use is not really used as a true ticket system in my group. Most of my issues come in via phone calls, email, or Teams IMs. They aren't tracked. Many issues never get fixed. Many issues don't affect uptime. I can't estimated turnaround times because they vary so widely depending on many factors, with many of those out of my control.

I know I'm not giving you much. I don't have much to give.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Salami Surgeon posted:

I forgot to mention industry: commercial equipment. I don't really handle software, for me it's treated like a component. So one revision of software would get a part number like SW-123.4 and a revision of a screw would get PN-M5x100.1. So in my investigation documentation, causal component could be listed as SW-123.4 or PN-M5x100.1. I'm not getting into any code. I'm also not designing any parts. I have no authority the release parts or ECNs. That has to come from engineering if my business case gets accepted.

I don't really have a ticket system. The one we use is not really used as a true ticket system in my group. Most of my issues come in via phone calls, email, or Teams IMs. They aren't tracked. Many issues never get fixed. Many issues don't affect uptime. I can't estimated turnaround times because they vary so widely depending on many factors, with many of those out of my control.

I think it's fine. Back in my aerospace days, I'd review changes to our supplier provided subsystems.

All variables are integers.

IDK what your KPIs are without knowing more but relevant items you can compile from your IM history, emails, other docs are:
Investigated then resolved or escalated X issues.
Create Y business cases to [problem solved by creating these business cases]

Also I can't help but picture you as this guy now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNuu9CpdjIo

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah every job applicant on Earth has awesome soft skills according to their resume. If you want me to put your resume in at least the "Maybe" pile after investing 30 seconds in reading it, I had drat well better quickly and easily find evidence of hard skills relevant to the role.

This is kind of A Thing for me that I really dislike even the phrase "soft skills". When that phrase enters my eyes or ears what my brain processes is "bullshit." But that's probably just me.

Strong agree with Lockback that your education and certs should be prominent here.
Yeah, if you put “soft skills” or “strong communication” on your resume you’ve failed at both. Both are firmly in the “show don’t tell” category.

Putting “soft skills” on your resume is like putting “nice guy” on your dating profile.

Edit: “strong communication skills” drives me nuts in resumes because you can demonstrate your strong communication skills really loving easily by having a well formatted resume that’s easy to scan and serves up the information that I find most important.

I won’t fault candidates if they bury it in a skills section at the end of a resume. But I’ve never seen a resume mention communication skills in the summary line up top and then actually demonstrate said skills in the resume itself.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 7, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Salami Surgeon posted:

I mean, estimate.

Talk about turnaround times. What would get you yelled at at work? Why do you do that means you don't get yelled at? That sorta thing.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Salami Surgeon posted:

I don't know! I ask myself that a lot! This isn't sarcasm! We used to have business plan goals, and most of the goals were dictated to us. But most of the goals were bullshit like "contribute towards [a company goal]" and "attend meetings". No metrics. One year I put a personal goal as "read a book" and was told I needed to list a specific book. 100% achieved.

I'm an engineer. My job title does not make sense. It's close to a field service engineer.
My main tasks are:
- When issues get escalated to me, I pour over our technical documentation to figure out what the issue is and how to fix it. If we don't have the documentation, I escalate it to design engineering for more information. If I can't figure out the issue or how to fix it, I escalate it to another group.
- If the issue is systemic, I document my investigation of the issue and do the Fight Club math to create a business case for a fix. I hand this off and am no longer part of the process. When I was part of the process I met with engineering to review production and field fixes, requested or sometimes created repair documentation, and figured out how that repair gets put into the field (recall, warranty, tell the customer to pound sand). But now those are handled by someone else.

We have a company goal of 99% uptime, but I don't even know how that is calculated much less how much my individual accomplishments contribute to it. I can't think of any other metrics I could list that would not completely fall apart in an interview.

You've successfully evaluated and processed hundreds(?) of issues. Can you come up with a napkin math average value for each issue processed? If no one had done your job, how much would it cost your company?

Edit: In fact, you created the business case for it! What were the hours or dollars identified as part of those business cases?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Dik Hz posted:

Yeah, if you put “soft skills” or “strong communication” on your resume you’ve failed at both. Both are firmly in the “show don’t tell” category.

Putting “soft skills” on your resume is like putting “nice guy” on your dating profile.

Edit: “strong communication skills” drives me nuts in resumes because you can demonstrate your strong communication skills really loving easily by having a well formatted resume that’s easy to scan and serves up the information that I find most important.

I won’t fault candidates if they bury it in a skills section at the end of a resume. But I’ve never seen a resume mention communication skills in the summary line up top and then actually demonstrate said skills in the resume itself.

blame your firm's idiotic HR screening software which insists that you include that stuff

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

downout posted:

You've successfully evaluated and processed hundreds(?) of issues. Can you come up with a napkin math average value for each issue processed? If no one had done your job, how much would it cost your company?

Edit: In fact, you created the business case for it! What were the hours or dollars identified as part of those business cases?

also if these are uptime critical issues for the end customer you are ensuring customer uptime and satisfaction with your product and saving them mad dollars per year

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

blame your firm's idiotic HR screening software which insists that you include that stuff

I want to say there no way someone has an ATS that looks for "soft skills" or "communication" in resumes and if not present cans them...but it's HR....still that seems like the biggest footgun I've ever heard of.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

I want to say there no way someone has an ATS that looks for "soft skills" or "communication" in resumes and if not present cans them...but it's HR....still that seems like the biggest footgun I've ever heard of.

there is absolutely a way

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Thanks everyone. I've been looking through my past work to see if I can put together some metrics. Seven years in this job, I've had over 100 documented escalations with 34 of those being business cases. Not great numbers so I need to figure a way to spin that to make it look better. I've thought of some other items that would look good with numbers so I'll start tallying those up next week.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Salami Surgeon posted:

Thanks everyone. I've been looking through my past work to see if I can put together some metrics. Seven years in this job, I've had over 100 documented escalations with 34 of those being business cases. Not great numbers so I need to figure a way to spin that to make it look better. I've thought of some other items that would look good with numbers so I'll start tallying those up next week.

The thing about those numbers is no one knows if theyre good or not, so no need to worry if theyre good or bad. Having numbers shows youre a quantitative, business-thinking employee.

In order of usefulness for a resumes, impact metrics go: #1 - $ in revenue or revenue/year, #2 - directly moves revenue/profit metrics like customer retention, new customer acquisition, or the costs to acquire customers #3 - any other quantitiative metrics, #4 not having quantitative metrics.

Your metrics are firmly in the #3 category, which is normal at a big company, unless you can explain in one sentence why they're actually in the #2 category. So the way to "spin them to be better" is to tie them to a #1 or #2 metric.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 9, 2022

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I'm starting my new job next week, but another job I applied for emailed to say I'm still under consideration. Do I: a. do the interview to keep my options open in case my new job sucks, or they offer me a shitload of money; or b. tell them I took a new job and to withdraw my candidacy?
Also I am stealing this

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
So things are looking up.

Three years ago I left a somewhat toxic start-up company where I was essentially second in command for most of my three year long tenure having capped out at €35k/year. That was the highest I had earned until that point in my life. I was staring 40 in the eye, had no formal education except the local high school diploma equivalent, but had built up quite a lot of experience. Since then I have gone back to university, obtained a Master's degree and spent 9 monhts unemployed after submitting my Master's thesis thanks to Covid. Last summer I landed a sales management role with a total comp package just under €70k and I am really finding my feet in the role.

Today I was told that I was successful in the first round interview for a management role in a pre-IPO fintech company and that the second round interview will happen next week, pending scheduling. I am looking at a total comp package in excess of €150k, maybe as high as €200k if I land the role.

Even if I don't land the role, what a loving confidence booster this has been!

Anyone with fintech experience want to give me any pointers? My next call will be with the Global Head of Sales Development. What would they be looking for and what kind of "stories" should I tell?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'm starting my new job next week, but another job I applied for emailed to say I'm still under consideration. Do I: a. do the interview to keep my options open in case my new job sucks, or they offer me a shitload of money; or b. tell them I took a new job and to withdraw my candidacy?

Also I am stealing this

A, but keep in mind leaving the first job is kinda scorched earth and your industry tends to be smaller than you think. That said, a great opportunity is a great opportunity.

Baggins posted:

Anyone with fintech experience want to give me any pointers? My next call will be with the Global Head of Sales Development. What would they be looking for and what kind of "stories" should I tell?

I'm in Fintech and I like it but it can be kinda wild. In sales, its especially all about the relationships. Talking about how you can really exceed meeting what the clients need and making them perceive you as indispensable. A lot of Fintech relies on the "old gym membership you keep paying" model, where a lot of investment Bank guys keep tools around because if they those tools can boost a deal by 5% that is suddenly several million dollars. Basically anything you can do to even marginally make things more efficient or to prevent burnout by xx% quickly translates into huge value.

My experience also tells me clients in Fintech prize efficiency. This isn't spotify, they don't really "want" to use our software. They want to get their poo poo done and move on to higher billable stuff. They want to be treated like princesses (everyone does) but they mostly get impressed with how much of a shortcut something is.

There's a bunch of Jordan Belfort wannabes running around, but I guess its not as bad as I expected. I have heard stories of some crazy coke-fueled antics some of our Investment Banker clients did but sadly I've never been around any of that.

and Congrats!

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
I've been posting my experiences with interviewing and such in the Negotiation thread but decided to move it here. I finally heard back from the company where I had two amazing interviews and they passed on me. Lame. Pretty bummed out but whatever. The other company is still interested in me so I may take them up on it. I had another interview with a different company today that was kind of interesting. The owner was very nice and chatty, seemed to take great interest in me but the job is in-office only which sucks.

One thing I have a question about, and I'm really curious if its a good thing or not, I seem to have a ability to make interviewers open up extremely fast. This interview today the guy was dropping F bombs within the first 10 minutes and the same with the last two ones. Is it just a changing tide of job interviews lately with people being more "real"? I don't mind it and it definitely makes the conversation more natural, but I'm wondering if perhaps I'm doing something wrong that looks good at the moment but then later on the recruiter or business owner or what have you thinks "he was too chill"?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

aperfectcirclefan posted:

I've been posting my experiences with interviewing and such in the Negotiation thread but decided to move it here. I finally heard back from the company where I had two amazing interviews and they passed on me. Lame. Pretty bummed out but whatever. The other company is still interested in me so I may take them up on it. I had another interview with a different company today that was kind of interesting. The owner was very nice and chatty, seemed to take great interest in me but the job is in-office only which sucks.

One thing I have a question about, and I'm really curious if its a good thing or not, I seem to have a ability to make interviewers open up extremely fast. This interview today the guy was dropping F bombs within the first 10 minutes and the same with the last two ones. Is it just a changing tide of job interviews lately with people being more "real"? I don't mind it and it definitely makes the conversation more natural, but I'm wondering if perhaps I'm doing something wrong that looks good at the moment but then later on the recruiter or business owner or what have you thinks "he was too chill"?

Thanks!

I think the answer to your questions varies tremendously with the size of the company, the industry culture and the role itself. For me and my tiny company, I like to ask questions and speak in a way that tries to bring out the real person. This is counter to the norms in my industry which tends toward traditional and formal. Its pretty common for small company and for roles that require a 4 year degree or less.