Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Cairo, East Africa...
Huh?
Also, "how are there still lost", well, there's 10 million people at Cairo at current day - IIRC, twice that if you count the greater metropilian area.
And this Cairo had apparently expanded to around the Egypt-Libya border (I think?), and southward too. Gotta be a lot of people in that one, y'know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

AradoBalanga posted:

So, to complete the Star Trek appearances in this video, Betos is voiced by none other than Denise Crosby, aka Tasha Yar from TNG. Unlike the other three, Crosby is a little hard to identify because Betos is given all those voice filters. Yes, Mox also has the same voice filters, but Jake Solomon and crew told Michael Dorn "do your Worf voice" which cancels out the voice filtering because it is so easily identifiable.

I think this was the 25th game to which he has contributed his voice. Voice work for that and direct to DVD animation has pretty much become his main gig these days. Gives him more time to fly his planes.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
One of my favourite post-Trek Dorn appearances was on Megas XLR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jodn-_tDAyY

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
What happens if you attempt to one-turn the Assassin in this mission? Will it go through, or will there be plot armor?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Flair posted:

What happens if you attempt to one-turn the Assassin in this mission? Will it go through, or will there be plot armor?

They get to run away for free.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I'm surprised so many people expected it to matter. It's not like killing them does anything any other time.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

FoolyCharged posted:

I'm surprised so many people expected it to matter. It's not like killing them does anything any other time.

Maybe due to the fact the game dramatizes the Chosen's importance to the point of overselling it, in combination with their scripting to taunt you between turns as if they think being catty edgelords makes them somehow actually relevant, which are supposed to create the illusion that there's more to them than "immortal mook with a bunch of extra crap bolted-on vaguely resembling a personality/character"?

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Finally, we have proof of people eating the alien corpses.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I bet they taste interesting. Probably want something with a lot of flavour when you're in a necropolis full of zombies.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Tastes an awful like like an Advent burger :thunk:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The idea of eating a Chryssalid in particular always struck me as especially daring and hazardous. But I suppose if you cook it correctly...

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

BlazetheInferno posted:

The idea of eating a Chryssalid in particular always struck me as especially daring and hazardous. But I suppose if you cook it correctly...

Maybe it's like eating puffer fish; you just remove the poisonous organs and you get a delicious bug: each bite like a mouthful of ants and piss.

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017
Random question: What exactly are those pod-things that are creating the Lost for? In the original they web/gas like a dozen people, but I don't really understand how that advanced the Ethereals' goals, and now they're creating the Lost who are pretty much just a problem to be burned back.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
They were abduction devices in the original, maybe they've just gone bad after a couple decades.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I got the impression that the Ethereals weren't entirely displeased with the outcome (and it might have even been deliberate) because one of their major goals is to corral everyone into the strictly controlled ADVENT city centers where they can have their IDs checked by lampposts all day and get every illness treated by a genetic treatment clinic. So if there's roving hordes of zombies in the countryside, you pretty much just leave them out there, and just make sure they don't get big enough to swarm the important places.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Akratic Method posted:

I got the impression that the Ethereals weren't entirely displeased with the outcome (and it might have even been deliberate) because one of their major goals is to corral everyone into the strictly controlled ADVENT city centers where they can have their IDs checked by lampposts all day and get every illness treated by a genetic treatment clinic. So if there's roving hordes of zombies in the countryside, you pretty much just leave them out there, and just make sure they don't get big enough to swarm the important places.
Yeah, that's one part of X-Com 2 that doesn't quite get conveyed as well as the game wants to. The Elders haven't just seized control of Earth, they've also uplifted the entire human populace into select areas that can be controlled and monitored at all time. The city centers have become melting pots of people from across the world, all against their will via a propaganda machine that has sold this massive uplifting as a good thing. And those who haven't complied with ADVENT's message are either dead, in prison, turned into the Lost, or living off the grid in scattered shantytowns in paranoia over ADVENT finding them. It's the reason why one of the things you can build in the game is the Radio Relay; you are reestablishing a global communication network that brings those who have escaped ADVENT's sphere of influence together to form a unified resistance. That last part is the one thing that gets conveyed properly by the game, but everything else? That requires you to read between the lines and notice that Earth is way more messed up than just a simple brutal authoritarian government ruling over humanity.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Hey Jade. Since you didn't do so in the last LP, and I guess haven't tried it yet, can you please run a Pistol Marksman this time around? They are surprisingly good, especially in WotC. Pistol marks is easily my favorite build in the entire game.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Gothsheep posted:

Hey Jade. Since you didn't do so in the last LP, and I guess haven't tried it yet, can you please run a Pistol Marksman this time around? They are surprisingly good, especially in WotC. Pistol marks is easily my favorite build in the entire game.
Nice try, Guava.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

We haven't encountered him yet, but the best of the TNG alumni has yet to make an appearance.

Looking forward to seeing what shenanigans you get up to with the Reaper, she requires some setup but the payoff is excellent.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 5, 2022

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Bloody Pom posted:

We haven't encountered him yet, but the best of the TNG alumni has yet to make an appearance.

Looking forward to seeing what shenanigans you get up to with the Reaper, she requires some setup but the payoff is excellent.

Yeah, though it's really easy to lean on the third faction's hero. Their kit synergizes so well that it's easy to just have them carry most maps.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Huh, it appears I modelled my old submission from the previous LP after my player character from Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands. Must have been playing that around the time of the last thread. :abrathink: Well, it's cool to end up on the roster in this new one.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Maybe the Lost reproduce asexually by budding off from their parent? Missed opportunity to have multi-headed, multi-limbed Lost.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's all mummies.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm not a fan of the Lost in gameplay terms, they feel very binary in difficulty. Either they're a joke or they're a huge pain in the rear end and there doesn't seem to be much middle ground.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cythereal posted:

I'm not a fan of the Lost in gameplay terms, they feel very binary in difficulty. Either they're a joke or they're a huge pain in the rear end and there doesn't seem to be much middle ground.

I’ve played with a mod that completely removes the lost for years

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

Cythereal posted:

I find Lost missions to be a drag, especially given how they ignore Advent over X-Com.

Rend The Lost is a mod which trivialises them, as long as you can stomach having your Rangers and Templars zooming around the map dispatching ten Lost a turn.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Robert Deadford posted:

I find Lost missions to be a drag, especially given how they ignore Advent over X-Com.

Rend The Lost is a mod which trivialises them, as long as you can stomach having your Rangers and Templars zooming around the map dispatching ten Lost a turn.

I popped Reaper to deal with some lost. It was disgusting. Without the damage reduction that Reaper applies, I can only imagine it'd be even worse

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

It's convenient to solve Lost problems by throwing a Bladestorm ranger/skirmisher in their direction and then forgetting about them, which is usually faster than breaking their AI with ladders.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'll admit that it lends more credence to the Lost aren't that powerful theory, but I did love setting up crazy Faceoff chains with my OP sharpshooter.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Scaramouche posted:

I'll admit that it lends more credence to the Lost aren't that powerful theory, but I did love setting up crazy Faceoff chains with my OP sharpshooter.
I've seen a Lost clusterfuck that was dealt with a sharpshooter using Face Off. Let's just say that after a while, the dramatic camera outright gives up and just reverts to the simple zoomed out view for when you take a shot because you are targeting so many enemies.

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017
I enjoyed installing Fair Lost Targeting and then dumping an entire team worth of explosives in the direction of ADVENT and sitting back to watch the fireworks.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Yeah, I think basically all the problems with the Lost are solved if they give equal priority to ADVENT or X-COM. Being able to tactically manipulate the Lost to your advantage feels like exactly the of bonkers tactical stuff X-COM should be using to gain a leg up.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

namehereguy posted:

Random question: What exactly are those pod-things that are creating the Lost for? In the original they web/gas like a dozen people, but I don't really understand how that advanced the Ethereals' goals, and now they're creating the Lost who are pretty much just a problem to be burned back.

They seemed to slime people for easy abduction by foot soldiers. There was another kind of rarer pod that was a little bigger, and I'm not sure what it did.

I always kind of thought it strange that there wasn't a resource project or collectible resource related to them.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Even if they go after Xcom more then still make it easier because Advent have a decent chance of targeting them as well.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Gothsheep posted:

Yeah, I think basically all the problems with the Lost are solved if they give equal priority to ADVENT or X-COM. Being able to tactically manipulate the Lost to your advantage feels like exactly the of bonkers tactical stuff X-COM should be using to gain a leg up.

He'll, the lost autopsy literally gives you a tool for pointing the Lost at a target. The decision to make them practically ignore advent is so weird.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
By default, don't you get at maximum 2 characters from each faction? Doing The Lost & Abandoned kind of makes people submitting Skirmisher or Reaper toons kinda pointless for this LP unless you're using the mod that lets you get more.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Two from the first resistance faction you encounter, reapers by default if you leave the lost and abandoned active, and 1 from the others.

I'm going to replace Troy and Worf once the story plays out.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Flair posted:

iirc she gets away but you get the ability points from defeating her.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Jade Star posted:

Two from the first resistance faction you encounter, reapers by default if you leave the lost and abandoned active, and 1 from the others.

I'm going to replace Troy and Worf once the story plays out.

Seem to recall seeing a 'recruit an additional [x]' op in the Resistance Ring for all three factions simultaneously, but requires the highest level of faction loyalty and can only be done once (and you'll generally hit Maximum Sempai♥ with the first faction long before the other two, but you can just ignore the op and leave the Reapers hanging if you want) though I could be misremembering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

silentsnack posted:

Seem to recall seeing a 'recruit an additional [x]' op in the Resistance Ring for all three factions simultaneously, but requires the highest level of faction loyalty and can only be done once (and you'll generally hit Maximum Sempai♥ with the first faction long before the other two, but you can just ignore the op and leave the Reapers hanging if you want) though I could be misremembering.

Without mods you only get the "recruit an additional x" covert op for whatever resistance faction you started with (so reaper if you're playing with Lost and Abandoned).

Fortunately Reapers are the best, so at least he's not stuck with two skirmishers.