Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

russia going in to prop up the khazak gov now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Don't think I could get an SUV or lifted truck even knowing it doesn't matter because A) I hate cars on a visceral level too much, and B) the lovely visibility is nerve-wracking lol. I don't even like hatchbacks, can only stand driving sedans

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
I would sooner leave USA than learn to drive

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Oh no question buddy, no question. Loathe the things. Absolute gut level rage at their existence - that I just dropped half a thousand on a tow, battery, coil, oil and air filter change notwithstanding. But fleeing a city is a question of when not if and there's gonna be about one way to do that.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Think I'll just die. Life without electricity isn't worth living anyway

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Think I'll just die. Life without electricity isn't worth living anyway

you can still jack off while crying without electricity. what else does one need in life anyways

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Oh no question buddy, no question. Loathe the things. Absolute gut level rage at their existence - that I just dropped half a thousand on a tow, battery, coil, oil and air filter change notwithstanding. But fleeing a city is a question of when not if and there's gonna be about one way to do that.

Lol if you think being another moron in a dumbass SUV is going to give you some sort of flee the city survival advantage. It's amazing how pervasive American automotive propaganda is.

Oh I wanna big and tough and a survivor, good, better get a big tough car.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol:

No one should buy a Land Rover if they want something reliable

I've heard that older ones (like 1980s) are pretty reliable

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
tbf something like this possibly can. probably knocking down some fences in the process but y'know, gotta break some eggs and violate some property. but definitely not on actual roads which are going to be a cluster gently caress

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Xaris posted:

tbf something like this possibly can. probably knocking down some fences in the process but y'know, gotta break some eggs and violate some property. but definitely not on actual roads which are going to be a cluster gently caress

If you don't really know what you are doing than something like that will get you very extremely stuck so that no one can help you instead of just regular stuck.

They knock down fences just fine until a metal pole punches through your oil pan. Or red top wire becomes tangled around your axel.

I'm just cackling over here at the thought of someone who thinks land rovers are good cars going "the highways are blocked and the city is in riots I'm gonna make my way to safety by bashing though fences in my giant power wheels."

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

This is the climate apocalypse version of 'What are you gonna do during the Zombie Apocolypse?'

A: Smacking your lips and mumbling about brains. Like everyone else.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Oh, Jeep chat!

Anything newer than ~2001 is garbage, arguably 1997 when Chrysler took over, but up until 2001 they were using mostly AMC tooling.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Lol if you think being another moron in a dumbass SUV is going to give you some sort of flee the city survival advantage. It's amazing how pervasive American automotive propaganda is.

Yes it's going to give me the advantage of having more storage space for survival gear than a Nissan Altima. Also more space for me to sleep in the thing, get one of those camping attachments for beds or whatever. Those things besides that a Nissan Altima will get stuck in mud, big cracks, shallower water, et al regardless of my degree of skill operating the thing.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
"Big and tough and a survivor" is the weirdest snark I've ever gotten. Please stop telling me to be meek, lie down, and die - that's insane? I'm not suicidal?

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Yeah cars are garbage but it isn't like there is any alternative in America ca. 2020. We're buying some land in Vermont and hoping to build our apocalypse bunker by the end of 2023. Assuming there are enough healthy people left to build things and that money exists etc. Can't wait to see the expression on the builder's face when I say "I would like to build a home in Vermont, but to California fire code and Florida hurricane code."

Yes I know that it will just be a shiny pinata when things fall apart. Sorry for being part of the lovely modern tech bro petit bourgeoise or whatever, it wasn't supposed to go down like this. If it helps I maxed out for Bernie.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
if you don’t have a car or access to one you are definitely going to die when nobody is driving buses during a major societal event, such as this week or last in many parts of the nation. if things shut down I don’t expect any help for non-drivers unless you’re in walking distance to a community center of some kind, where you might get saltines.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

mawarannahr posted:

if you don’t have a car or access to one you are definitely going to die when nobody is driving buses during a major societal event, such as this week or last in many parts of the nation. if things shut down I don’t expect any help for non-drivers unless you’re in walking distance to a community center of some kind, where you might get saltines.

lol carjackings will make a big comeback, i think

i've seen someone get carjacked, it doesn't look that hard

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
My bragged to me that his daughter rejected the new landrover he got her, for a bmw 4series he got himself. Hea driving the landrover now, the model profile of landrover buyers..

Femur has issued a correction as of 23:13 on Jan 6, 2022

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Yeah this. My city (LA) struggles with people just commuting to work on a sunny dry day. If there's any sort of disaster, you're not going anywhere. The government won't even have to shut the roads down, the roads will shut themselves down. Also, your choices for safe haven are 1. More suburbia and city 2. High mountains giving way to blasted desert for a thousand miles 3. The Pacific Ocean

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Woefully ignorant of all things cars. I was eyeing the Jeep Gladiator but it's out of my budget. Google's first result tells me the Honda Ridgeline is a good alternative?

Jeeps are bad. Don't buy anything associated with Chrysler.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Biosphere Collapse: Which SUV should I buy?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Tesla Cybertruck is definitely the one to buy.

No looters can carjack you with it's unbreakable windows, and you'll be able escape the cities in the Hyperloops that will no doubt cover the country by the time things collapse.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

are cars the PROBLEM, or the SOLUTION

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Marenghi posted:

Tesla Cybertruck is definitely the one to buy.

No looters can carjack you with it's unbreakable windows, and you'll be able escape the cities in the Hyperloops that will no doubt cover the country by the time things collapse.

What kind of loser would use a cybertruck in a hyperloop? Just onramp onto the information superhighway and be anywhere in the world in seconds.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

are cars the PROBLEM, or the SOLUTION

both

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Perry Mason Jar posted:

"Big and tough and a survivor" is the weirdest snark I've ever gotten. Please stop telling me to be meek, lie down, and die - that's insane? I'm not suicidal?

That snark was more directed at automotive marketing than you personally. I think both of us share the ambition of being the last bastard standing on a pile of skulls.

At any rate get a minivan with good reliability and fuel economy.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
any car is fine as it can hold all of my silver bricks, guns and bitcoin miners

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
hope every carposter itt stalls at an active train crossing

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Rime posted:

Biosphere Collapse: Which SUV should I buy?
gotta have one of these trucks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26nNM5DsUTo

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
I loving hate cars and also driving and also people driving cars

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
My actual bug out plan is permanently borrowing one of these puppies from the local sailing club.

Sleeps 4, room for months of provisions, renowned for heavy weather handling, has windvane and watermaker, needs no fuel to cross oceans, could make it to Europe eventually, offers potential of exciting death by pirates.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

i have a decently sized ~20y/o truck because

a. it was cheap and i bought it with the pink slip directly from the previous owner

b. i have been to many many vehicle collision scenes as an emt. i am an extremely good defensive driver but if some dumbass drives into me i'd rather that they die and my wife and i live

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
thinking of the "head in to the woods and dig a shelter that doubles as a grave/tomb" plan :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skcqFTi3s_A

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

Alobar posted:

lol carjackings will make a big comeback, i think

i've seen someone get carjacked, it doesn't look that hard

Bullets can be exchanged for goods and services.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Raine posted:

i have a decently sized ~20y/o truck because

a. it was cheap and i bought it with the pink slip directly from the previous owner

b. i have been to many many vehicle collision scenes as an emt. i am an extremely good defensive driver but if some dumbass drives into me i'd rather that they die and my wife and i live

This is the arms race that led us to the pickup and SUV being the dominant vehicle form factor in America.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

skooma512 posted:

This is the arms race that led us to the pickup and SUV being the dominant vehicle form factor in America.

yes but unfortunately it makes sense and is practical in this hellworld where public transportation or cycling is mostly unfeasible for day-to-day life unless you get very lucky

it's the difference between having a small hand towel get swept up into the wheel of your motorcycle on the freeway (subsequently flipping the bike at 60mph and getting permanent brain damage), having a dumbass swerve into oncoming traffic and hitting your small car head on (getting wrapped around the steering wheel and needing the jaws of life to free your mangled body), or just driving the vehicle arms race equivalent of a tank and coming out unscathed more often than not

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Perry Mason Jar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDAxBAsIbOE

No for real get a Ram with the 6.4 hemi, 4wdand limited slip rear end. Its one of the best simple ones and 25% less than aGMC, Fordor Chevy and theyre pretty bullet proof.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I think both of us share the ambition of being the last bastard standing on a pile of skulls.

you guys are crazy lol. that sounds miserable

Minera posted:

hope every carposter itt stalls at an active train crossing

:hmmyes:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

wynott dunn posted:

I loving hate cars and also driving and also people driving cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU