Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Open Marriage Night posted:

Was the Ziggler cash in after 27? Probably the biggest pop of his career.

29, 2 years later.

Del Rio went up against Jack “WE THE PEOPLE” Swagger at WM, then had a rematch the next night on Raw (which according to Wikipedia was a handicap match against Swagger and Zeb Colter??), where Swagger beat the absolute poo poo out of ADR’s leg/knee/ankle. Del Rio squeaked out a win, buuuuuuuuuut:

https://youtu.be/MKqtFqpRLEk

This was definitely the first time of several Ziggler got a huge push (only to have it taken away shortly after), though in this case it was more because the rematch they had at the next PPV had Ziggler and Del Rio double-turn after ADR concussed Dolph with several dozen kicks to the head.

He got that Survivor Series sole-survivor push (that was meant to be Roman Reigns…), but otherwise I don’t think he’s ever been as big a deal as that moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

It is time to resubscribe to NJPW World, I have been away from NJPW for almost a year, I just had such a bad taste in my mouth from the EVIL as Champion era, and was busy enough that I could only pay close attention to one fed (AEW). Could someone give me the like 4-8 must watch New Japan matches from 2021 and if needed a smidge on background?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

LionYeti posted:

It is time to resubscribe to NJPW World, I have been away from NJPW for almost a year, I just had such a bad taste in my mouth from the EVIL as Champion era, and was busy enough that I could only pay close attention to one fed (AEW). Could someone give me the like 4-8 must watch New Japan matches from 2021 and if needed a smidge on background?

I will give you my top 10 NJPW matches, because that's all matches I had at either ****¾ or *****

1. Shingo Takagi vs Tomohiro Ishii - 18th September G1 Night 1
  2. Kazuchika Okada vs Shingo Takagi - 7th June Dominion for the vacant IWGP World Heavyweight Championship
  3. Will Ospreay vs Shingo Takagi - 4th May Wrestling Dontaku Night 2 for the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship
  4. Shingo Takagi vs Zack Sabre Jr - 6th November Power Struggle for the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship
  5. Kota Ibushi vs Jay White - 5th January Wrestle Kingdom Night 2 for the IWGP Heavyweight & Intercontinental Championships
  6. Kota Ibushi vs Will Ospreay - 4th April Sakura Genesis for the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship
  7. Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Kazuchika Okada - 19th September G1 Night 2
  8. Shingo Takagi vs Hiroshi Tanahashi - 30th January New Beginning In Nagoya for the NEVER Openweight Championship
  9. Shingo Takagi vs Jeff Cobb 5th January Wrestle Kingdom Night 2 for the NEVER Openweight Championship
  10. Kazuchika Okada vs Shingo Takagi - 6th March New Japan Cup Night 2

Yeah, guess who my Wrestler of the Year is...

As for background. I dunno. The Heavyweight & IC titles were merged to create the new World Heavyweight Title, first match for it was 4th April at Sakura Genesis. That's really it as far as those matches I mentioned go. The entire world seems to be lower on the 2 Okada Takagi matches than me. There's a really good DOUKI vs Hiromu match from one of the many, many August Korakuen Hall shows. And oh yeah! The return match of Katsuyori Shibata, in a 5 minute grappling exhibition from Power Struggle is well worth seeing. Because Shibata in a wrestling ring.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Are there any matches to avoid? I'm guessing EVIL and the House of Torture lads are in most of them, but any that are just heinously bad and should go in the "give it a pass" pile?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

edogawa rando posted:

Are there any matches to avoid? I'm guessing EVIL and the House of Torture lads are in most of them, but any that are just heinously bad and should go in the "give it a pass" pile?

I had 8 matches at *½ or lower, including 3 at ½*: And it's Toru Yano who features the most, in 7 of the 8. Which kills me because I usually enjoy Yano shtick but last year had some rotters. Yano vs O-Khan from the New Japan Cup, Chase Owens vs Yano in an I Quit Match, Yano vs BUSHI vs Owens vs Bad Luck Fale from 5/1, Yano vs Yujiro in the G1, Owens against Yano in a strap match (how the gently caress did we get 2 Yano Owens singles matches? KOPW is a curse), the KOPW Rambo at Wrestle Grand Slam Tokyo Dome. And then the final 2 matches were a EVIL & Togo vs Okada & Yano tag on the New Beginning tour in Hiroshima, & an absolutely stinking bad EVIL vs Okada New Japan Cup match.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jesus, EVIL. What the gently caress happened to you?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Dick Togo

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

edogawa rando posted:

Jesus, EVIL. What the gently caress happened to you?

He became njpws version of TNA Jeff Jarrett except his bullshit ref bump belt shot tainted victories occur to exceedingly uncomfortable silence.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
what are some wrestling related books you’d be interested in reading that aren’t currently available for sale, subjects, concepts, book styles etc?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

edogawa rando posted:

KENTA vs Ibushi from the G1 B Block final is like comically bad at parts but I'd recommend it anyway because it gets so farcical. Then they start kicking each other and that's always good to watch.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
When a lot of their roster couldn't make it and attendance was down, NJPW compensated by dragging out matches. So a goofy comedy match featuring Yano was upwards of 30 minutes and all of the big title matches were 30-45 each. The main events were still great, but the shows became a bit of a slog.

Unrelated: Why do you suppose Rey Fenix's "ANIMO" chant never got over with AEW crowds? It was big in LU and he still gets them in AAA, and AEW fans typically knew Lucha Bros from other feds.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

When a lot of their roster couldn't make it and attendance was down, NJPW compensated by dragging out matches. So a goofy comedy match featuring Yano was upwards of 30 minutes and all of the big title matches were 30-45 each. The main events were still great, but the shows became a bit of a slog.

Unrelated: Why do you suppose Rey Fenix's "ANIMO" chant never got over with AEW crowds? It was big in LU and he still gets them in AAA, and AEW fans typically knew Lucha Bros from other feds.

Was Animo big in LU? I don't remember hearing it much but then again I don't remember any super over chants in LU besides "Cero Miedo" and the one they had to dub over.

I think it is just that Cero Miedo is so big and Pentagon is right there so everyone might as well chant the same thing. Maybe it would get over if Fenix got a big singles run in AEW?

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

If I were to guess, I'd say it would be likely be due to LU being in the same place for entire seasons with a regular set of fans that were at most tapings while AEW are a touring promotion with different crowds each week. It could also be a language barrier thing but that reason doesn't really work considering that his brother has probably one of the most over catchphrase chants around in all of wrestling right now.

Edit: beaten.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
People think he’s saying ANIME and are rightfully appalled

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Eat My Fuc posted:

what are some wrestling related books you’d be interested in reading that aren’t currently available for sale, subjects, concepts, book styles etc?

a comprehensive English language history of Japanese women's wrestling with large chapters on the down turn periods

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Eat My Fuc posted:

Marvel has a super-powered wrestling fed as part of its universe called Unlimited Class Wrestling Federation. I'd like a comic series dedicated to its existence.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Penta's chant has a whole shtick associated with it, whereas Fenix just yells ANIMO and doesn't even do it every match.

Seams posted:

People think he’s saying ANIME and are rightfully appalled

Actually it's this.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I want an exhaustive lucha history book. I'd settle for a Santo biography in English.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

I wouldn't mind a book about the early deathmatch companies that weren't FMW.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Eat My Fuc posted:

I think I'd kind of want a book which details various a storyline in detail. I don't know how you'd organize it, but I'd like it to be detailed from a completely kayfaybe pov and then somehow weave in shoot stuff as an aside section.

for example, a theatrical tale of Austin vs Michaels where it details Austins win at the rumble and goes on WM that year and concludes with HHH kicking Shawn out of DX and then there's a section somewhere that explains some background to each part, such as Shawn being kicked out of DX was due to Shawn needing to take time off due to drugs and lingering injuries from the Taker match.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Eat My Fuc posted:

I want to read Mayu Iwatani's biography because the description of it was really interesting and she can be a bit scatterbrained outside of wrestling so I wonder how she came into wrestling.

I can't find the title at the moment, I don't know the language and it's not translated into English so it's unavailable to me in that sense.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Eat My Fuc posted:

Inoki's embezzlement and how it almost killed New Japan in the 80's would he a great book. Choshu's jump to All Japan and the ripple effect it had on wrestling would also be another great one

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I just want that big beautiful CMLL book someone here has (MRT I think)

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
More content like the other Vice docuseries on Wrestling where they had episodes on Canadian Reservation Shows and the South American Women Wrestlers and Exoticos. They showed parts of the business that I heard of over the years but not really had exposure to.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Eat My Fuc posted:

I'd read a book that was about the early indie groups in Japan, starting from IWE. Coz I know gently caress all about it

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Dave Meltzer on the worked years of roller derby

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah Dave's McMahon book would be incredible.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
A book detailing the misdeeds of the McMahon Crime Family

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I want an AEW Saturday morning cartoon that chronicles the secret adventures of an elite team of wrestlers as they fight crime and poo poo.
Hangman is the leader
OC is the cool dude with attitude
Jungle Boy is the rookie hero, Luchasaurus the big funny guy
Thunder Rosa is the girl
Jade Cargill is the other girl
MJF is the rear end in a top hat

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
which one does machines

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Mmmm I like the lineup as is so I'm gonna give it to Jade

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Inoki's embezzlement and how it almost killed New Japan in the 80's would he a great book. Choshu's jump to All Japan and the ripple effect it had on wrestling would also be another great one

forkboy84 posted:

I'd read a book that was about the early indie groups in Japan, starting from IWE. Coz I know gently caress all about it
Maybe I'm not telling either of you anything you don't already know, but since last year, I've been really enamored with this puroresu history thread that covers material from Rikidozan's death up to the 90s, trying to condense and organize massive histories into palatable summaries. And if you find the summaries a bit thin and can read Japanese, the OP does helpfully point out primary sources and articles. The OP is starting to formalize those posts into an ongoing blog, but there's not too much there right now.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Gavok posted:

Marvel has a super-powered wrestling fed as part of its universe called Unlimited Class Wrestling Federation. I'd like a comic series dedicated to its existence.

Yes! You never really see the Thing hit any wrestling moves on enemies. And was Spider-Man ever in the UWCF?

Let’s get CM Punk on this. He writes a decent comic.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

this is badass thanks coaaab

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Based off some recent discussions about EVIL, which wrestler has the biggest gulf between how much you're into their whole presentation (entrance music, gear, look etc) vs. what they actually deliver as a performer?

And I guess who is the opposite and has dogshit presentation but is a great performer? I'd probably with Keisuke Ishii for that.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I love Naito’s whole deal but I’m always kinda bored by his actual matches until the finish.

I always *think* I’m bored by Goto but then I watch his matches and they always draw me in.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I thought Lone Wolf Baron Corbin had a great entrance and a delightfully scuzzy look but I couldn't give a poo poo about his ring work or promos.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Based off some recent discussions about EVIL, which wrestler has the biggest gulf between how much you're into their whole presentation (entrance music, gear, look etc) vs. what they actually deliver as a performer?

And I guess who is the opposite and has dogshit presentation but is a great performer? I'd probably with Keisuke Ishii for that.

Not the whole rpesentation but I said in the puro thread how much it sucks that loving NOSAWA has my favourite theme in NOAH (yes, even above Kenoh and Katsu) but then the resulting match is at the very best fine

Seconding Keisuke Ishii. Dude looks like such a goober but then the match starts and he's rad as hell

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Probably more WCW being WCW but Glacier was such a great entrance, music, gear and did squat in the ring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

emi sakura

neoaxd fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 7, 2022