Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I really wanna find that russian modder from back in the day who basically made soviet ships and NATO ships. The soviet ships were all about heavy missile ships with some cannon weapons as back up while the US ships where all about advanced fighters and some high tech weapons but fragile ships but they worked really well with vanilla ships at the time because of their limited weapon options. I really wanna see some expanse ships with spinal mounts and only small ballistics and a big missile load out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
like 99% of space combat games are really boat games or airplane games anyways

not least because "realistic" space combat would probably involve ships firing at each other at distances where they're nothing but a tiny little blip on a computer screen and whoever shoots first instantly depressurizes the other guy's hull and wins

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

not least because "realistic" space combat would probably involve ships firing at each other at distances where they're nothing but a tiny little blip on a computer screen and whoever shoots first instantly depressurizes the other guy's hull and wins

there's a few hard sci-fi space battle games out now and yeah they're dull as hell

even then they're basically submarine games because there's no non-gameplay reason to bother with manned ships at all

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 6, 2022

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Arghy posted:

I'm frankly surprised there's no modern BS analogues like space battleship yamato, 3 mounts that can swing 180 degrees one above the other. Once again this isn't 40k where the guns so big you can't swivel it, why would you go back to dreadnought style casements where you have multiple weapons that aren't being used when it's space mad max and you have resource scarcity.

The P9 mod has the Kaala cruiser, two hybrid mediums and one large energy on a center line. You can run a broadside pretty well with that. Sadly it has pink balls, sorry about that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There are some mods that adopt the modern battleship layout, with primary guns that aim fore and aft and can swing broadside to converge. The Phoca is one and I like it a lot because it's a fast cruiser with that layout and ammo feeder.

But it's also not the most interesting ship in the world, you just point the side at the enemy and let it shoot, it's a good ship but it isn't interesting to fly, just powerful.

I would much rather fly an onslaught in a fight, the onslaught is probably my favourite ship because it has a lot going for it, the TPCs give it a nice ebb and flow as you let them charge and fire them in volleys, the burn drive gives it great mobility in a different way than just being fast in general, it's slow enough that you want to plan out your maneuvers as it can't respond quickly, and it has interesting turret coverage depending on what you mount, plus an excellent interplay between armour and shield.

I also would suggest that the direct flank is probably the most sensible place to under-defend on a ship, because if the enemy is there you can either turn to face them or move forwards, either one will move them towards your front or your back, you need rear protection from things chasing you and you need front protection from things you are trying to kill, side protection is the least important part of the ship, because you have every option to move the enemy away from your side.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 6, 2022

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

even though the hullmod "blast doors" isn't a universal built-in, i'd imagine any proper spacefaring warship would (~realistically~) be heavily compartmentalized so one hull breach wouldn't kill everyone on board.

but yeah reagardless i'm heavily in the camp of "realism usually sucks rear end unless you're playing multiplayer with friends"

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
There’s multiple mod versions of the Yamato, up to and including an actual implementation of it as an IBB bounty, though I forget the specific mod that adds it. Tahlan’s Metafalica and to some extent the Ristreza, Sylphon (RIP outside of bootlegs) had one, the Interstellar Imperium Dictator (I think, it’s been a little bit), plenty of options.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You might be thinking of the dominus? The dictator is the fat wide lad, basically a cruiser sized enforcer in terms of gun loadout, but specced for long range bombardment and slow.

Dominus has the laser in the front.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Children of a dead earth kinda does this.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=21692.0

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Arghy posted:

I really wanna find that russian modder from back in the day who basically made soviet ships and NATO ships. The soviet ships were all about heavy missile ships with some cannon weapons as back up while the US ships where all about advanced fighters and some high tech weapons but fragile ships but they worked really well with vanilla ships at the time because of their limited weapon options. I really wanna see some expanse ships with spinal mounts and only small ballistics and a big missile load out.

That all got nuked because the guy who took over after Okim moved on was a giant piece of poo poo and stole a shitload of assets then deleted everything in a huff and fled the forums when he got put on notice about it.

I'm pretty sure I sent a warning PM to one of the mods on the starsector forums about that guy when he picked up the project too because I'd seen him do that exact thing before lmao

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

And true to life those will absolutely get murdered by torpedoes .

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Telsa Cola posted:

Children of a dead earth kinda does this.

honestly you could probably make it work as long as the point was stealth and building tension, it just wouldn't support the mode(s) of play that Starsector or Elite or whatever are going for

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Haha i love it gonna add it to the mod list for my next play through.

Psycho Landlord posted:

That all got nuked because the guy who took over after Okim moved on was a giant piece of poo poo and stole a shitload of assets then deleted everything in a huff and fled the forums when he got put on notice about it.

I'm pretty sure I sent a warning PM to one of the mods on the starsector forums about that guy when he picked up the project too because I'd seen him do that exact thing before lmao
gently caress yeah it was okim goddamn it's been nearly a decade haha. I always enjoyed the soviet ships because of their huge missile barrages and watching the enemy ships struggle to shoot them all down where once a few slipped through that was the beginning of the end.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

holy poo poo there's a space battleship yamato mod for real? hahaha that's a download for sure

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brandfarlig posted:

My apologies, Senator.

You may be able to dig up the hackjob someone did because I still run BRDY. I don't think the mod creators were fond of someone else updating their mods (understandable) but it might still be out there.

If the Blackrock guy doesn't want anyone to patch his poo poo, maybe he should have just patched his mod to be compatible with the new update and then gone into meditation in Nepal or whatever the gently caress

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

And true to life those will absolutely get murdered by torpedoes .

They do pretty well actually. They all have a poo poo ton of small turrets and most come with fighter decks. That said mine are rarely on the frontline.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Larry Parrish posted:

If the Blackrock guy doesn't want anyone to patch his poo poo, maybe he should have just patched his mod to be compatible with the new update and then gone into meditation in Nepal or whatever the gently caress

You know the “Blackrock guy“ is the poster who started this thread.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I would also have preferred to have a patch since it's a good mod but I also have the basic decency to respect someone taking some time off or not wanting to be a starsector modder forever.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Excelzior posted:

holy poo poo there's a space battleship yamato mod for real? hahaha that's a download for sure

Nex + II gives you access to a start with a Yamato that's fluff-wise a heavily modified Dominus modded by some Otaku Admiral.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

It has a giant beam weapon. As I presume weeb Yamato should.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brandfarlig posted:

I would also have preferred to have a patch since it's a good mod but I also have the basic decency to respect someone taking some time off or not wanting to be a starsector modder forever.

I get that too. I just think it's sort of weird to get upset about someone patching it if you're taking a break. It's not the same as them stamping their name on your sprites to make something else, it's just being nice to the poor script kiddies like me that aren't smart enough to do a compatibility patch ourselves. But I'm also an open source freak sometimes so maybe I'm the weird one.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Id love a Richard Stallman portrait ingame tbh

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

I get that too. I just think it's sort of weird to get upset about someone patching it if you're taking a break. It's not the same as them stamping their name on your sprites to make something else, it's just being nice to the poor script kiddies like me that aren't smart enough to do a compatibility patch ourselves. But I'm also an open source freak sometimes so maybe I'm the weird one.

The only argument I've seen for it that I somewhat agree with is that unofficial patches might cause bugs which might lead people to annoy the offical mod author. Which okay I guess.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dandywalken posted:

Id love a Richard Stallman portrait ingame tbh

he should be a Pather Inquisitor, out to destroy technology because it can't be shared like God intended.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
How should I fit a legion 14 and how should I use it?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Azuth0667 posted:

Personally I like having a steady or even cautious lieutenant drive a Legion with the in-game default loadout of gauss cannons and Khopesh bombers. The lieutenant will stay at range and doot away with the gauss and give me a safe anchor to duck back to and hide if I overextend.

But if I'm driving the thing I'm going to load it with as much small boolet as I can pile on and drive it into the center of everything, screaming.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
XIV has the missiles up front right?

All the annihilators plus expanded missiles gives it enough ammo for most fights, and it's surprisingly powerful as long as you have a way to flux out shields. Having a constant zero-flux threat available makes AI ships quite shy at times.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Oh right, it does. My bad.

I think I'd take Hammer Barrages as my go-to large missile for a capital ship? But that might mean getting in a little too close. Squall MLRSes are like 20-shot Sabot blasts, I think those are a default weapon on the XIV.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Always run reapers in the Legion 14's large slot. Embrace glory.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Azuth0667 posted:

I found a loving 4th XIV legion and i armor tanked it and holy gently caress it's amazing. 2675 armor, enough flux to constantly fire every single weapon and 4 fighter wings. I got heavy armor, speed mod, ITU all built in, shield shunt, armored weapon mounts, and maneuvering thrusters. Only time i seen it's armor broken was when i suicided into abuncha pirates to test out the fit.

Weapons are:

2x squall
4x heavy maulers
2x assault guns
2x dual ACs
1x dual flak
LMG's in the rest of the small mounts.

Fighters i'm still working on them but currently:
1x spark
2x those sabot missile bombers
1x warthog

I've fought against 5 pirate fleets after i saved just to see it in action and it was a goddamn beast before it got overwhelmed. You only create flux by firing so every single gun is just firing at anything in range and the heavy maulers have ~900 range so things will drop their shields to get 4 salvos of heavy explosive damage when they try to retreat.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Azuth0667 posted:

I gravitate towards doing something like this. khopesh & wasps as available until I find enough remnant gear

maybe not the most efficient way for DPS, but it holds the line well against most things

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

The Blackrock Guy is currently hosed up from burnout and is not available to vet and selectively endorse forks of his work for players' convenience, try again later maybe free uninterrupted lifetime service will resume

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Please take care of yourself Mr. Fuckfiend

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
To move away from harassing people for free content, we could use a new thread title.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Could make a new thread too, if someone else wants to that's fine by me, I don't particularly want to. It could use a rewrite anyway, it kind of reads like it's riding the game's dick a lot and some of the advice is outdated

Psycho Landlord posted:

Please take care of yourself Mr. Fuckfiend

I know im getting told for not updating the mod *because* people still want to play it, so dont worry I know dropping everything and loving off isnt the best way to handle things but sometimes it just happens. Part of my inactivity is cause i intend to resume work someday so appointing a caretaker or officially forking from my WIP stuff or whatever feels like work that will have to be undone later, making it inherently unappealing and sort of like an admission of giving up on my part

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

having multiple authors for a mod leads to a lot of issues, the person who made the BladeBreaker + addon to DME had to take the mod down because people kept pestering them.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Could make a new thread too, if someone else wants to that's fine by me, I don't particularly want to. It could use a rewrite anyway, it kind of reads like it's riding the game's dick a lot and some of the advice is outdated

I know im getting told for not updating the mod *because* people still want to play it, so dont worry I know dropping everything and loving off isnt the best way to handle things but sometimes it just happens. Part of my inactivity is cause i intend to resume work someday so appointing a caretaker or officially forking from my WIP stuff or whatever feels like work that will have to be undone later, making it inherently unappealing and sort of like an admission of giving up on my part

How could you not ride Starsectors dick, it's by far the best game of its genre. Between Alex (and team) and modders there's an insane amount of content and if something annoys you there's probably a mod for it or you can console command it.

I can't think of a game that comes close. Starcom: Nexus? Not really.

Getting into Starsector 2-3 years ago was such a "oh holy poo poo someone actually made my dream game" experience.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 7, 2022

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah I don't think the OP being positive about the game is a problem, because the game is good.

I'm not even sure we need a new thread just yet. Maybe if some other giant youtuber covers the game and we get an enormous player explosion again, but for now the trickle of new people get learnt just fine by posting in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Brandfarlig posted:

Getting into Starsector 2-3 years ago was such a "oh holy poo poo someone actually made my dream game" experience.

And then it got better from there.

When does that even happen?

The only other game I can think of that channels this kind of powerful nerd poo poo that has is Rimworld. Like even Dwarf Fortress’s best releases to play are a decade old.

Alex has strong magic.