Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Rust Martialis posted:

Folks are coming out of Walmart with cardiovascular disease while under 50.

Denmark is doing very badly at the moment. I think that should be cause for concern and not dismissal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

qhat posted:

This. Also the whole "we don't know the long term effects yet" is running out of runway at this point. It's been two years, how long does it have to be? It's the same argument anti-vaxxers use to justify not taking the vaccine. Ultimately, it's an argument from ignorance, that is setting up an arbitrary amount time or evidence that is required before we can definitely prove something isn't true, usually an amount that is favorable to the person making the argument.

I can only go by that a relative of mine now has cardiovascular disease after contracting covid in 2020 when they didn’t prior. You can understand why I’d be more hesitant to take that risk.

There are several articles about the way covid attacks the heart: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/how-covid-19-harms-the-heart

Calling this similar to anti-vax is not warranted as this is not a call to be reckless and instead a call to utilize NPIs, the vaccine, and cull the spread of covid.

Petey posted:

So I don't mean to alarm anyone, but there is a MERS outbreak in Saudi Arabia right now, and two papers published (i.e. peer reviewed) last year identified possible modes of and pathways for recombination in the case of coinfection, and while the authors responsible concede that any such coinfection is unpredictable, in light of MERS ~40% CFR each paper separately urges strong investment in NPIs, sequencing, MERS vaccine development, and other measures to prevent such a dice roll from occurring, and it's not clear to me that we are doing that, and it would be very good if we did, I think.

Also want to ensure this posts sees more eyes as it doesn’t deserve to be left at the bottom of the page.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 6, 2022

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

There was this paper in JAMA from back in August talking about the highest risk being 2 days before and up to 3 days after symptom onset but I'm not sure if that's the only paper or if there's others:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2783099

Thank you! I am very appreciative to know there is at least some basis for those numbers, which I hadn't heard before seeing them in my work's policy.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Folks are coming out of covid with cardiovascular disease while under 50.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I can only go by that a relative of mine now has cardiovascular disease after contracting covid

This should not be allowed itt. Isn't there a rule against pathetic anecdotes?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I can only go by that a relative of mine now has cardiovascular disease after contracting covid in 2020 when they didn’t prior. You can understand why I’d be more hesitant to take that risk.

There are several articles about the way covid attacks the heart: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/how-covid-19-harms-the-heart

Calling this similar to anti-vax is not warranted as this is not a call to be reckless and instead a call to utilize NPIs, the vaccine, and cull the spread of covid.

The article starts with an anecdote of a person I don't know and apparently I need to enter my email to continue. This is also not an actual scientific paper, it's nat geo. No thanks.

I appreciate that some people come out with really bad outcomes, but the same can be said of many common diseases. You need to provide actual studies and data on this though and have it properly broken down between risk factors including vaccination status, age, co-mobidities, variants, etc. You cannot simply walk in and dump a bunch of anecdotes and expect someone not to call you out on it. I'm comparing it to anti-vaxxers because the argument is exactly the same, "we don't know enough so why take the risk". Sorry, but it's been a long time since this disease emerged, the long-term effects are more and more understood everyday so this isn't really an argument you can continue using without citing some scientific studies.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

My girlfriends sister got covid really badly and then had heart issues afterwards

However they completely cleared up when she got pregnant

New covid cure?!

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

droll posted:

This should not be allowed itt. Isn't there a rule against pathetic anecdotes?

Covid being a vascular disease and it’s impact to the heart are well known: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/heart-problems-after-covid19

I took the post I quoted as being dismissive of peoples concerns and wanted to ensure that we recognize concerns folks have, acknowledge those concerns are valid, but inform people that covid is not a guaranteed death sentence like the Black Plague. There are better ways to communicate with people than talking down to them.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 6, 2022

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Fritz the Horse posted:

My employer just released their updated COVID policies which thankfully are stricter than almost anywhere similar in the US:

-All staff must have evidence of full vaccination (2 shots + booster) on file with HR by Jan 1, 2022 or be subject to termination. Only exemptions are for medical reasons as defined by CDC guidance and manufacturer labeling (no religious or personal exemptions). Those who are pregnant may defer until after they deliver. Exempted employees must test weekly.
-Staff with direct exposures must notify our COVID response coordinator and will be required to quarantine for a minimum of 8 days before returning to work, they must also test negative on the 5th, 6th, or 7th day.
-Employees who test positive must isolate for a minimum of 10 days and report to the State and Tribal task forces. They may return to work after 24 hours symptom-free and provide to HR the letter from State/Tribal authorities saying they completed their isolation.

I'm assuming they must be working off IHS guidance because it seems pretty different from CDC guidelines.

They're also of course requiring masking while inside and all rooms were issued a HEPA filter.

We're restricting operations for a few weeks to see what happens with Omicron.

Overall I'm pretty happy with those requirements, it's certainly more than most workplaces in the US.

Lol. my work place just issued a very forceful ruling that if you weren't at your desk you need to wear a mask, and that all surfaces must be cleaned. Also, they jumped right on board with the new CDC mandates.

... half of our department on sick leave from corona, we lost employee from from Delta less than a week after exhibiting symptoms, and another's had pneumonia for about a month now. The few people who do wear masks dick nose those flimsy blue things. All of the foreign exchange students who make this entire town function live in a dorm that's got covid sweeping from one side to the next.

Don't go to the Wisconsin Dells, people. It's nothing but covid up here. You wouldn't know it from the number of people who still insist on coming up here... as long as they don't need to wear a mask or be vaccinated.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Geight posted:

Thank you! I am very appreciative to know there is at least some basis for those numbers, which I hadn't heard before seeing them in my work's policy.

Yeah it's not like the guidance change was just made up out of thin air with zero basis, it's just that "majority" is not "all".

There was also an overview of various infectious period related studies by Ontario Public Health early in 2021 as well:

https://www.publichealthontario.ca/-/media/documents/ncov/covid-wwksf/2021/03/wwksf-period-of-communicability-overview.pdf

This was pre Omicron and largely pre Delta though so keep that in mind. The bulk of the epidemiology based studies seemed to point towards majority 2 days prior and 3 days post symptoms as the key infectious period but model based and those looking at live virus detection were closer to 10 days.

So basically yeah it's still not the safest recommendation.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Republicans posted:

What, and walk around all day with sneeze residue pressed against your face? That's gross.

I hate it when I sneeze into my mask and then get back into my car and discard it thinking "Wow, I need to wash that before I use it again." But then a week later I still haven't removed it from my car and I somehow forgot to replace the mask in my purse and realize I have to wear the gross previously sneezed in mask again or turn around and go back home. So I just reuse the mask and remember to also replace the extra mask that should be in my glove compartment.

I'm not alone here, right? Guys? GUYS!?

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

So they were unvaccinated and infected by a different variant? It is misleading to imply that someone triple-vaxxed getting infected by Omicron is taking on the same level of risk.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

CmdrRiker posted:

I hate it when I sneeze into my mask and then get back into my car and discard it thinking "Wow, I need to wash that before I use it again." But then a week later I still haven't removed it from my car and I somehow forgot to replace the mask in my purse and realize I have to wear the gross previously sneezed in mask again or turn around and go back home. So I just reuse the mask and remember to also replace the extra mask that should be in my glove compartment.

Use... again?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

CmdrRiker posted:

This might be a good time to recommend some disposable N95 masks:

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/v101143932/

These are super comfortable and cool.

Or, if money is tight, respirators:

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/v000057395/

+

https://www.grainger.com/product/3M-Filter-4JG27

Easier to clean then a cloth mask that, while better than nothing, isn’t the most effective way to protect yourself from COVID’s airborne particles.

vvvv this feels like this becoming a tit for tat so I feel it’s best to drop it. Please understand that people have concerns with covid as hospitalization among even those that are vaccinated is not negligible and certainly not cheap. Asking someone who is concerned about their and their families well being “where’s the peer reviewed studies” comes across as dismissive and thoughtless.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 6, 2022

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Covid being a vascular disease and it’s impact to the heart are well known: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/heart-problems-after-covid19

I took the post I quoted as being dismissive of peoples concerns and wanted to ensure that we recognize concerns folks have, acknowledge those concerns are valid, but inform people that covid is not a guaranteed death sentence like the Black Plague. There are better ways to communicate with people than talking down to them.

Even mentioning the black death when talking about the US response to covid is incendiary and also egregious hyperbole. The only reason to mention it is because the person making the argument thinks it's going to make their points seem more effective, when actually it's a disingenuous distraction to avoid addressing the argument that the US should not lockdown again. What percentage of people experience these symptoms? What are their risk factors? Were they vaccinated? Crucially, do you have data to support that vaccinated people are comparably at risk than unvaccinated? If not, why not? These questions are extremely important and inform whether or not the vast majority of the population should be worried en-masse about it. If the replies to your posts seem dismissive, it's because you aren't really making any points that can be thoroughly debated. Even that article you just posted doesn't address any of the questions I just asked, or other people have asked prior to your post.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Or, if money is tight, respirators:

+

Easier to clean then a cloth mask that, while better than nothing, isn’t the most effective way to protect yourself from COVID’s airborne particles.

Thanks, I have been considering buying disposable masks. Right now I own 12 pleated 2-ply cotton masks with a pocket for a carbon filter. Is this how I find out that this thread now hates me?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

If you haven’t had covid, then that is great! You can learn from this mistake.

However you don’t want to push your luck. Please remedy this when you can. Purchase disposable N95 mask or respirator with p100 filters.

Also please don’t re-use a mask you sneezed in lol

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 6, 2022

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

CmdrRiker posted:

Thanks, I have been considering buying disposable masks. Right now I own 12 pleated 2-ply cotton masks with a pocket for a carbon filter. Is this how I find out that this thread now hates me?

That mask will kinda protect us from you, so thank you! Now go protect you.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
speaking of mask chat, can anyone recommend a good kind of mask if you've got a beard like this?

afaik you would need to shave to make n95s do their thing and idk if shaving is really an option

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

While the vent on a conventional elastomere isn't the best... tbh, the best source control is not becoming a source, so the p100 filters are the more important bit.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Covid causes damage to the he heart because hypoxia does some insane poo poo that also causes clotting, those clots can gently caress up the tiny vessels of the heart and brain really really good. It's not a vascular disease and repeating poo poo that is from random papers doesn't make it one.

Also just the general shittiness, coughing and degree of pneumonia can do so also.

Hell if your criteria is that covid causes heart damage due to its secondary effects from the primary damage of the lungs, would you say it also is a renal disease? It has a known issue with penile damage so is it primarily a penile disease? Like the secondary effects of a disease pathology do not transform it from it's primary infectious pathway. Posting garbage things that are being spewed out that have no real backing really should not be allowed. It's akin to that covid causes the brain to shrink that was posted ( about a young girl with a neurological disorder) and the wonderful airborne parkinson's poo poo.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Herstory Begins Now posted:

speaking of mask chat, can anyone recommend a good kind of mask if you've got a beard like this?

afaik you would need to shave to make n95s do their thing and idk if shaving is really an option

Don’t you dare dox me again.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

UCS Hellmaker posted:

It's not a vascular disease and repeating poo poo that is from random papers doesn't make it one.

Can you help me out with this statement. There are no shortage of studies and medical experts calling Covid a vascular disease:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7556303/

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/CIRCRESAHA.121.318902

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Alctel posted:

My girlfriends sister got covid really badly and then had heart issues afterwards

However they completely cleared up when she got pregnant

New covid cure?!

This can actually happen with several systemic diseases like lupus, ms, arthritis. Its possible her issues are caused by her own immune system, as pregnancy lowers your immune response.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Oracle posted:

This can actually happen with several systemic diseases like lupus, ms, arthritis. Its possible her issues are caused by her own immune system, as pregnancy lowers your immune response.

I have been seeing some preprints and studies mentioning self-immunity related to the 'rona...

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Can you help me out with this statement. There are no shortage of studies and medical experts calling Covid a vascular disease:

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/CIRCRESAHA.121.318902

They aren't actually research studies dude. The first is literally just a focused research paper you repeated twice. And neither show actual data. Like the first is just hypothesis with nothing substantive to verify anything said.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Petey posted:

So I don't mean to alarm anyone, but there is a MERS outbreak in Saudi Arabia right now, and two papers published (i.e. peer reviewed) last year identified possible modes of and pathways for recombination in the case of coinfection, and while the authors responsible concede that any such coinfection is unpredictable, in light of MERS ~40% CFR each paper separately urges strong investment in NPIs, sequencing, MERS vaccine development, and other measures to prevent such a dice roll from occurring, and it's not clear to me that we are doing that, and it would be very good if we did, I think.

Well that is certainly a potential huge loving problem.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Like, these are studies we are told in school we can't use as citations, because they aren't actual research it's a meta analysis of other people's used to justify a paper that the authors want to write. Nothing that is written has backed up data that they validated, only information they took from other papers they believe proves their point. That's the issue with meta analysis and one reason they are god awful garbage that actively causes issues.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I ordered these from Home Depot this morning and they were delivered four hours later.

I'm surprised at how comfortable they are, even more so than the blue "surgical" masks, yet with much more coverage. And the way they puff out around the nose & mouth makes them easier to wear with glasses.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Like, these are studies we are told in school we can't use as citations, because they aren't actual research it's a meta analysis of other people's used to justify a paper that the authors want to write. Nothing that is written has backed up data that they validated, only information they took from other papers they believe proves their point. That's the issue with meta analysis and one reason they are god awful garbage that actively causes issues.

Meta analyses are not god awful garbage, they are an essential tool in evidence based medicine and psychology, helping to attain more robust conclusions. You should have paid more attention to your classes or taken some more advanced study.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

UCS Hellmaker posted:

They aren't actually research studies dude. The first is literally just a focused research paper you repeated twice. And neither show actual data. Like the first is just hypothesis with nothing substantive to verify anything said.

Sorry for the double link.

I meant this one for the second: https://academic.oup.com/cardiovascres/article/117/14/2705/6370961

I’m willing to mea culpa on calling covid vascular disease but it is something that many folks in the medical field has called it (and I’m no expert so I just trust them).

I did find this: https://www.verificat.cat/vaccines/entry/covid-19-is-not-a-vascular-disease

Would it be more accurate to call it a respiratory disease that damages the cardiovascular system?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

mawarannahr posted:

Don’t you dare dox me again.

a team with a personalized vaccination will be dispatched to you promptly~

I am earnestly asking what masks work well with a full beard. n95s are kind of a waste afaik from talking to respiratory techs if you can't get a full seal?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

I am earnestly asking what masks work well with a full beard. n95s are kind of a waste afaik from talking to respiratory techs if you can't get a full seal?

Basically none of them are going to be great, because without the seal there is always some risk. Standard blue surgicals are probably the best option if you really, really don't want to shave (and, at the beginning and throughout the pandemic, remember that there were Sikh doctors who shaved their religiously-mandated beards because service and health was a more important religious obligation).

I grew a big beard in 2020, then trimmed it down pre-Delta, but now it's N95 and no facial hair around the seal area, so I get that it's not something most men with beards want to do, but it's probably the safest option if you're concerned.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

None, honestly. Shave it or resign yourself to the 'rona.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert on COVID wrt whether it's 'vascular' or not. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

One of the more potent papers that seems to have come out recently is that study from HKU that showed that Omicron replicates much less effectively in the Alveoli in the lungs, and more effectively further up in the Bronchial passages. My understanding is that it could be inferred that high levels of infection specifically in the alveoli where there is much easier access to the blood stream could result in higher levels of 'vascular' like illness, as opposed to replication further up the respiratory tract. At least, it seems this paper has been used to give a theoretical reason why omicron seems to result in less severe outcomes even in unvaccinated people. But again, that's just my take which might be wrong, happy to be corrected.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Sorry for the double link.

I meant this one for the second: https://academic.oup.com/cardiovascres/article/117/14/2705/6370961

I’m willing to mea culpa on calling covid vascular disease but it is something that many folks in the medical field has called it (and I’m no expert so I just trust them).

I did find this: https://www.verificat.cat/vaccines/entry/covid-19-is-not-a-vascular-disease

Would it be more accurate to call it a respiratory disease that damages the cardiovascular system?

I'll read those when I'm not on the way to work, but yes calling it that is massively a different thing and much better in description. The secondary effects of many diseases affect many organ systems and covid by it's main pathology affects the respiratory system, which has some serious repercussions on the cardiac system.

Side note that red text is ghoulish and stupid, I hope that the person that bought it feels like an rear end in a top hat.

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt

Look up the Singh Thattha technique

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Since this is what I'm pissed about today you guys get to deal with me as well.

This is just a friendly reminder that Ocugen submitted their trial data for kids 2 and up to the FDA for EUA 29 days ago.

A couple days ago Fauci was asked about it and he said that the data/application was never submitted. It was.

29 days. In the middle of a pandemic.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah that sucks. I have 2.5yo twins and they're the only ones in my household who aren't vaccinated yet. Making me nervous!

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

The only thing that will work for you is a PAPR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Even if Omicron is bigly milder, there's a drat good argument for aggro lockdowns and other NPI, namely, preserving medical system resources against the distinct possibility of a nastier variant or more waves of contemporary.