Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

RareAcumen posted:

FFTA would've been perfect if it had done more to muddy the waters. At some point the Hell Emporer from FF 2 shows up, and Sephiroth before Nibelheim is there and Gau's running around feral and weird.

I'm going to be legit surprised if something like this doesn't happen in Stranger of Paradise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'll say it, I liked Dark Dawn and wanted some more like it. I am prepared accept up to an hour of emoticon reactions for this sin.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caidin posted:

I'll say it, I liked Dark Dawn and wanted some more like it. I am prepared accept up to an hour of emoticon reactions for this sin.
to be fair if you liked dark dawn you're used to every statement having an hour of reactions

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Caidin posted:

Brass knuckle werewolf with a transformation that you can use whenever you want helps me look past a lot of the flaws. I wish it had a conclusion too.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

to be fair if you liked dark dawn you're used to every statement having an hour of reactions

I played dark dawn for the first time last summer, and was watching for that because so many goons said it happened. It isn't there; the dialogue isn't amazing but it doesn't suffer badly from the problem where every character needs a line at every junction like some people say

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 7, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I played dark dawn for the first time last summer, and was watching for that because so many goons said it happened. It isn't there the dialogue isn't amazing but it doesn't suffer badly from the problem where every character needs a line at every junction like some people say
its mostly just one or two cutscenes yeah ive played games that had that problem worse

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I mean, on paper, making sure that every party member has something to say or contribute to the plot is better than a story where 3-4 people are super involved with the 'core' of the plot and everyone else only has relevance when their area of expertise or their hometown is involved, but the solution to "most of the cast don't have anything to add to these plot-relevant conversations" is not "have the others chime in with vague generalities like 'I see...', 'Oh, really?' and 'You mean...?".

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Junpei posted:

Wait people here hate Golden Sun? I mean they're hardly my favorite RPGs of all time but I enjoy them, and I know plenty of people like them for being more puzzle-heavy than the usual RPG and having fun playing around with Djinn/class set-ups.

yeah, quovak's lps were funny but sometimes people treat them like the gospel. you and the people you know are right

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
also i was able to bang out endings b, c, and d in nier replicant really quickly and i'm kinda peeved with myself for stopping when all i really had left to do was find some machine oil and goat hide

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Junpei posted:

I mean, on paper, making sure that every party member has something to say or contribute to the plot is better than a story where 3-4 people are super involved with the 'core' of the plot and everyone else only has relevance when their area of expertise or their hometown is involved, but the solution to "most of the cast don't have anything to add to these plot-relevant conversations" is not "have the others chime in with vague generalities like 'I see...', 'Oh, really?' and 'You mean...?".

my point was that dark dawn, doesn't do that. I was specifically watching for it because goons said it was real bad about it. It isn't there

maybe it is there in the GBA games though, it's been many many years since I played them

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
At the interlude between Yuito Phase 5 and 6 in Scarlet Nexus and still enjoying it a lot. Breaking the story up into shorter episodes with the hideout interludes in between definitely helps with the pacing

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

cheetah7071 posted:

my point was that dark dawn, doesn't do that. I was specifically watching for it because goons said it was real bad about it. It isn't there

maybe it is there in the GBA games though, it's been many many years since I played them

Its only really a thing in the back half of Lost Age. Before that point you only ever have 3-4 people in the party to comment on things at a time and it really isn't bad. Once you acquire the previous game's cast though it really starts to bloat because you have 8 talking cast members.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
my take is that dark dawn is a really solid game which gets blasted into oblivion for three sins:

• The 3D models look way worse than the GBA sprites
  • The sountrack is very boring, unlike the GBA games
  • The points of no return suck

Fortunately, the graphics and ost don't effect the gameplay, and the points of no return, while extremely annoying for a blind player, can be easily defeated by using a djinn checklist if your forewarned, and thus not have your experience ruined by them

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
also sveta is in dark dawn and sveta owns

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

cheetah7071 posted:

I know I was speaking more generally

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i never read an lp of golden sun, but i did get turned away by an hour of pointless emoting before anything happened in the first game and wrote the rest of it off as a result.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Phantasium posted:

i never read an lp of golden sun, but i did get turned away by an hour of pointless emoting before anything happened in the first game and wrote the rest of it off as a result.

Smart move, as that hour is every subsequent hour of Golden Sun.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i was Very Disappointed by dark dawn after super liking TLA... i wonder if maybe i should give it another go

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Booky posted:

i was Very Disappointed by dark dawn after super liking TLA... i wonder if maybe i should give it another go

What, no.

Golden Sun has some of the most potent nostalgia for some truly teetering into bad territory games. Curse you GBA for not giving children of that generation more JRPG options.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
have your own opinion instead of blatantly stealing Quovak's

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

also should i play ffta, i thought the marche discussion was interesting but i've never played a srpg that isn't fe/srw j

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Booky posted:

also should i play ffta, i thought the marche discussion was interesting but i've never played a srpg that isn't fe/srw j

The story is probably the most interesting aspect of FFTA. If you're going to play one of them I'd say FFTA2, but obviously, we all know my opinion isn't gonna be mainline thought so everyone else is gonna recommend you play Final Fantasy Tactics for a lot of reasons.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's a much lesser game than tactics. People latch onto the Marche thing because the whole rest of the plot is bland as plain oatmeal. Tactically it's okay, it takes the skill system from IX if you like that, and the combat is mostly small skirmishes on relatively flat terrain, you aren't going to see much use of the map like you would in a FE or in LUCT.

It's the sandwich to Tactics full course meal, smaller, cheaper, and portable. But ultimately a lot less satisfying and interesting.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
drat, and tactics was already mall court food...

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

FFTA2 rules

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tactics advance is alright

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I like TA2 a lot, I don't like T

well see ya

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
both tactics advance games are rad

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

TA is literally my favorite FF game :v:

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i dont think ive ever been as disappointed with a game as i was with ffta. not so much because ffta is bad but because i loved the original so much

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didn't realize they were different games so when I borrowed a copy of fft I was really confused at who this ramza guy was.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the best gba rpg is riviera

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Endorph posted:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I tried to play FFTA a bunch of times, and really wanted to like it cause I liked the idea and aesthetics, but it just was never actually fun

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Looper posted:

both tactics advance games are rad

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Endorph posted:

i really need to finish that some day. i loved the limited item battle system thing.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
If all you care about in the FFT games it the gameplay, yeah, FFTA2 has you set for quite awhile

Also, remembering Riveria, and how every battle for me boiled down to the main dude using the special attack that broke the gauge but it didn't matter because it killed everything, for every battle except probably the last. It was like Resonance of Fate in terms of "use one thing to get past fights, you good"

I remember exactly none of the story for that game though

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i get annoyed when you have to select which direction you are facing in a srpg. it is currently my least favorite part of himeko sutori. i never found this to be an interesting choice to make in any game.

someone make a srpg where you only have one unit that you have to choose the facing of at the end of their turns but its because they carry a giant canon and you can only fire it the next turn in the direction you are facing.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
yeah facng is garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Looper posted:

yeah, quovak's lps were funny but sometimes people treat them like the gospel. you and the people you know are right
i mean they weren't wrong in that the plot of golden sun is extremely meh. barely any character writing to get invested in, a whole lot of exposition, and the worldbuilding that most of the text in the game is devoted to isn't even all that interesting either.

the reason to play them is for the actually quite cool world design, exploration, puzzles, and such.