Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Bel Shazar posted:

Americans are so damned stupid. William Henry Harrison is clearly the best president we've had.

Ehhhh, I feel like there are a few people of Native American ancestry who might disagree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

if you're not a democratic lawmaker seeking reelection being obsessed with 1/6 is extremely pathetic, I'm sorry.

I've made this point before in this forum, but the panic behind the 1/6 coup or insurrection or whatever you want to call it is a masochistic obsession with being dominated. It's an apocalyptic fantasy in which you (the nice, comfortable, respectable, financially secure American) experiences the same oppression that the state inflicts on the poor and the victims of American imperial misadventure.

"Fascism" didn't come from Trump. We weren't saved from "fascism" because the "coup" failed or Trump didn't get reelected. We're not at risk of a resurgent "fascism" if Trump gets elected again or a future 1/6 style coup succeeds. That all already exists -- whatever you want to define "fascism" as (which I don't think is actually fascism but I'll admit I'm being a little pedantic here), has been here and will be here regardless of what happened on 1/6 and whatever will happen in the midterms or the next presidential election. It is happening under Biden as it was Trump, and Obama, and Bush, etc. and it's not even going to slow down short of a sea change in the American political landscape.

You're scared of (and titillated by) the state treating you (you! a real person!) like it does a homeless man living in LA, or a black kid growing up in Englewood, or an undocumented immigrant from South America, or someone living in Syria, or, or, or. None of that counts as fascism. It's only fascism when it happens to people like you. Well, it's never, ever, going to happen to the people who are anointed as global capital's necessary consumers (you), even if you're queer or got an abortion or have a foreign-sounding last name. The proud boys aren't going to come to your house and put a bullet through your head because you're bi -- that's what an Academi operative is going to do to a Syrian kid, which doesn't count as fascism because they're not like us. You'll be safe and secure no matter who is in power in America, unless you become poor (lose your job, get sick, get addicted, spend all your money on NFTs, take your pick) and then you will experience the sort of horror you're obsessing over, no matter who is in power in America.

1/6 should have been a radicalizing event because it exposed the incredible degree to which our institutions are meaningless, rotting facades. The only thing it did or will do is produce even more meaningless grist for the culture war mill and, I'm willing to bet, a lot of FBI "assets" judging by the light sentences everyone is getting. The reality is that a competent republican party could take power at any time they wanted: they already did in 2000 and things haven't gotten better since then. But then again a competent, or even superficially decorous, republican president would not have sparked any of the hysteria about "incipient fascism" that Trump did by being boorish and saying the quiet part out loud.

god drat this is a good post

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Majorian posted:

Ehhhh, I feel like there are a few people of Native American ancestry who might disagree.

Not the best person to be president, but the one who did the best AS president.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Julius Caesar, about an "incident" in the Senate on 14 April:
"It wasn't serious at all, all they did was pull out knives and surround me, and then look at each other and whisper, 'tomorrow.' Wakanda Forever!"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Fister Roboto posted:

They're fine with it as long as they aren't personally threatened. That's the message I'm getting.

Except they were very much personally threatened.

I have little doubt that Pelosi, Omar or AOC would have been torn limb from limb on a livestream by someone had they been found.

Also, gently caress Dick Cheney and his pearl clutching. Jesus Christ.

They'll shake hands with Trump in 2032 after the next wave of abominable right wing bullshit led by Desantis or whatever monster does something worse. Cheney and his ilk are directly responsible for where we are right now and I don't give a poo poo what they find to be "unacceptable". I wouldn't cross the senate floor to check on him if he had another heart attack.

I can't believe he's only 80. That seems impossible.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
https://twitter.com/JohnDelaney/status/1479232773906911237

To think of what could have been. He would have won if people had only voted for him...:allears:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

I have little doubt that Pelosi, Omar or AOC would have been torn limb from limb on a livestream by someone had they been found.

I know that. But during the last coup, which Cheney helped orchestrate, they weren't threatened at all.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I really don’t know if they’d go so far as to tear electeds into pieces; they’d probably wuss out. However reasonable that idea may sound, the investigations appear to have found nothing to support this even after they looked, as far as I can tell. If there were something beyond doubt we will hear about it.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

Actually I can state with exactly as much evidence this would not have happened and they would have been fine

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

some plague rats posted:

Actually I can state with exactly as much evidence this would not have happened and they would have been fine

Based on? The crowd was already attacking and harassing media members outside the capitol, what reason would they have if they had managed to confront legislators they didn't take a liking to?

The cop loving crowd was OPENLY attacking cops.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
they injured something like 150 cops, there clearly was quite a bit of violence

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

some plague rats posted:

I guess, but a lot of politicians in the past have been murdered by weirdos who've worked themselves up into a frenzy.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Herstory Begins Now posted:

What is this based on? What were the injuries? Can you back this up beyond general statements of fact with no supporting evidence? Cops lie all the time

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

HashtagGirlboss posted:

What is this based on? What were the injuries? Can you back this up beyond general statements of fact with no supporting evidence? Cops lie all the time

Ignoring the vastly bloated numbers, they did attack capitol police and media members outside and inside the Capitol, so why would legislators they might corner be a line too far?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Ignoring the vastly bloated numbers, they did attack capitol police and media members outside and inside the Capitol, so why would legislators they might corner be a line too far?

Cops were standing in their way and trying to stop them from where they wanted to. This lead to altercations. Have you ever been at a large protest when cops show up and start trying to do crowd control? Getting in scuffles with cops is just different

I remember at the Trump inauguration protest where I live (not DC) a bunch of bike cops showed up out of nowhere by some portable toilets and tried to pick fights with people waiting to go to the bathroom lmao. Not cops in riot gear. Just bike cops. I’m not saying the capitol idiots were in the right, but scuffles with cops don’t necessarily mean the crowd would have killed anyone

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 7, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Scuffles with cops at a gathering versus when actively invading a government building including aggressively suppressing police to throw an election seems a tad different scenarios.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Scuffles with cops at a gathering versus when actively invading a government building including aggressively suppressing police to throw an election seems a tad different scenarios.

Gathering isn’t exactly what I’d call it. But maybe my perspective is different. I’ve been in more than a handful of marches and protests that have been declared “riots” and met with a level of force that was not on display on 1/6. Honestly, the cause on1/6 was dumber and the people were not ideologically aligned with me, but their behavior isn’t very different than what I’ve seen in BLM marches, what I saw on the streets the night after Hillary lost, or what I saw the night of trumps inauguration, or really what I saw all of summer of 2020. When crowds and cops mix and the cops are between the crowd and their destination there’s going to be altercations. This doesn’t mean the crowd is a blood thirsty mob with murder on its mind. Cops specifically represent an obstacle and a frustration of what people want. You really can’t extrapolate people mixing it up with cops to a general bloodlust

But also and to the original point. You can’t really trust cops when they say cops got injured. It could mean something as stupid as a cop ripped their nail to the quick grabbing at somebody. That’s an injury and it goes right in the tally

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 7, 2022

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
It turns out Harris was in the DNC building where the active pipe bomb was found.

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1479209995589799939

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I guess, but a lot of politicians in the past have been murdered by weirdos who've worked themselves up into a frenzy.

I get that everyone is having fun goosing themselves with the us politics equivalent of ghost stories, but might be losing sight of the fact that they were a bunch of boat dealers and MLM marketeers from the Midwest, not the black hundreds. When they got inside the building they took selfies, drank beers and then left with the exception of one person who broke a window and got immediately murdered by the police. They had no plan, no greater purpose and seemed surprised to get as far as they did. But if you're as sure as that guy upthread they had every intention of killing representatives, gather up all that evidence you've got and turn it over to the feds. Charging people with misdemeanor parading has got to be embarrassing, I'm sure they'd love to put together come conspiracy murder charges, right?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

How many cops did they kill? How many did they put in the hospital? How many even required medical treatment for their "injuries"?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

some plague rats posted:

I get that everyone is having fun goosing themselves with the us politics equivalent of ghost stories, but might be losing sight of the fact that they were a bunch of boat dealers and MLM marketeers from the Midwest, not the black hundreds. When they got inside the building they took selfies, drank beers and then left with the exception of one person who broke a window and got immediately murdered by the police. They had no plan, no greater purpose and seemed surprised to get as far as they did. But if you're as sure as that guy upthread they had every intention of killing representatives, gather up all that evidence you've got and turn it over to the feds. Charging people with misdemeanor parading has got to be embarrassing, I'm sure they'd love to put together come conspiracy murder charges, right?

The meat shield, sure, but y'all'qaeda was there too.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status/1479092365688246273

ironic monuments to fascists are still monuments to fascists

god i hate the daily show :negative:

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

A big flaming stink posted:

The daily show is trash, no argument there, but ironic monuments to fascists are only monuments to fascists if you live in a world of absolute literalism

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

This is the most pathetic thing I've ever seen. What is the liberal obsession woth making your enemies look way cooler than they are??

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

HashtagGirlboss posted:

The daily show is trash, no argument there, but ironic monuments to fascists are only monuments to fascists if you live in a world of absolute literalism

how are these different from sincere monuments for the overwhelming majority of people who will encounter them?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

how are these different from sincere monuments for the overwhelming majority of people who will encounter them?

Sincere monuments wouldn’t be obviously mocking them? I mean these are dumb. It’s stupid performative bullshit. But they’re clearly not meant to be flattering

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Wait until my enemies see these plaques I put up with heroic images of them and quotes saying badass poo poo about overthrowing tyranny. They'll be so owned!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Sincere monuments wouldn’t be obviously mocking them? I mean these are dumb. It’s stupid performative bullshit. But they’re clearly not meant to be flattering

what's obvious about the mocking? you have to go over and read the long tiny text to figure out the sarcastic intent. as i said, for the overwhelming majority of people who interact with them, they will appear to be sincere

Fortunate Bird
Sep 3, 2011
Yeah they have a team of writers and that's the most scathing and/or funny stuff they can come up with? I'm not totally against the concept but that execution is trash.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fortunate Bird posted:

Yeah they have a team of writers and that's the most scathing and/or funny stuff they can come up with? I'm not totally against the concept but that execution is trash.

This is what you get when you try to go on the offensive but you've already shifted into a defensive crouch. They've come up with a form of mockery that couldn't possibly offend the targets, and at a glance makes them look good, because at the end of the day there's no actual disagreement on principle that would fuel honest anger and derision, it's just distaste over aesthetics

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

some plague rats posted:

I'm just saying that John Hinckley Jr. tried to kill Ronald Reagan to impress Jodie Foster, and James A. Garfield was successfully taken out by a dude who saved all of his own toenails in a big jar.

Sometimes some weirdo finds themselves in a position to shoot a politician and takes the shot, and it just feels like statically speaking one of those weirdos would have been in the crowd on 1/6.

Obviously no one is getting charged with a murder that didn't happen, nor do I think they should, this is just more of a general statement on human nature and their tendency to kill people when given the chance.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

this is just more of a general statement on human nature and their tendency to kill people when given the chance.

This is an unbelievably bleak take on human nature?? Like this is a genuinely dark way to think about your fellow man?

It's possible there's someone in that crowd who was disturbed enough to take a shot at a politician given the chance, but "there might have been one genuinely unstable person there, you never know" is a far cry from the earlier refrain of "this horde of rampaging orcs could and definitely would have torn apart a senator with their bare hands, that's the only reason they were there"

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

some plague rats posted:

This is an unbelievably bleak take on human nature?? Like this is a genuinely dark way to think about your fellow man?

It's possible there's someone in that crowd who was disturbed enough to take a shot at a politician given the chance, but "there might have been one genuinely unstable person there, you never know" is a far cry from the earlier refrain of "this horde of rampaging orcs could and definitely would have torn apart a senator with their bare hands, that's the only reason they were there"

I don't think it's bleak, just accurate. People kill other people, it happens everywhere and it happens every day. Anyone can commit a murder and sometimes they do, and that's just how things are and will continue to be forever.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

when will all this cop on cop violence end :(

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I don't think it's bleak, just accurate. People kill other people, it happens everywhere and it happens every day. Anyone can commit a murder and sometimes they do, and that's just how things are and will continue to be forever.

Okay, but that doesn't mean that the claim that "Pelosi, Omar or AOC would have been torn limb from limb on a livestream by someone had they been found" is substantiated by the evidence that we have. As spr pointed out, we saw where the limit of the rioters' thirst for battle was: one rioter tried to break into the House chamber, got shot dead, and the resolve of even the most motivated of them kinda melted away after that. There may have been a handful of super-duper crazies in the crowd who had the stones to actually kill a legislator or whatever, but most of them didn't. They were mostly just a bunch of dumb fat cowards who got themselves into a frothing rage, and while that's dangerous, it probably would have never led to a George Romero's "Dawn of the Dead"-type scene.

e:

CommieGIR posted:

There's a big difference between attacking someone in a chaotic melee on the one hand, and cold-bloodedly executing another human being while they scream and cry and beg for their lives on the other. Most people, thankfully, don't have the stomach for the latter scenario. Again, maybe a few people on Jan 6 did, but the vast majority of them didn't seem to.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 7, 2022

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

It's not really accurate, most people will go their entire lives without murdering someone.

Unless they're cops but we've established the cops were, at best, getting completely owned and at worst taking selfies with budget terrorists.

some plague rats posted:

This is the most pathetic thing I've ever seen. What is the liberal obsession woth making your enemies look way cooler than they are??

To be fair Obama gets this too and he's the entire concept of the word "liberal" condensed into a single rear end in a top hat. If you went solely by how the right describes him he sounds like the coolest dude in the universe.

I think it just comes naturally to people who are massively out-of-touch.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Again, if it were a serious threat, we would have heard some charges by now. The most powerful people in the world have found no way to show they were in mortal danger and it’s not for lack of trying — charges were already dropped. If you think they were still actually aiming to take them hostage and harm them, you’re only speculating and you’re weirdly more concerned for their safety than they are.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

HashtagGirlboss posted:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2021/12/07/capitol-police-lose-200-officers-since-jan-6/6415037001/

'140 were injured and 5 have died since'

140 has been widely reported from more than just police departments, so it seems to be the accepted number. apparently also ~3 dozen severe injuries

also

https://thehill.com/policy/national-security/domestic-terrorism/556796-more-than-a-dozen-police-officers-still-on

there's really zero question that people were attacking cops on a large scale, it's on video from a billion different angles and it's a really weird point to contest

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jan 7, 2022

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

That is according to the police union, says the Washington Post. While I wouldn't entirely discount the number (and there's certainly no doubt that some of the crowd attacked cops, some of them quite brutally), I also wouldn't accept a police union's numbers uncritically, without breaking down the nature and severity of the injuries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Majorian posted:

That is according to the police union, says the Washington Post. While I wouldn't entirely discount the number (and there's certainly no doubt that some of the crowd attacked cops, some of them quite brutally), I also wouldn't accept a police union's numbers uncritically, without breaking down the nature and severity of the injuries.

a lot more sources than just the police union were using the 140 number, p sure the police union guy got it from them and not the other way around.