Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i really like chesstempo for training on mating motifs. actually i like not-computer the best because it removes the temptation to think and play one move at a time. but chesstempo is great for doing a bunch of drills on one specific motif to really hammer in the pattern recognition. as far as i’m aware chess.com and lichess aren’t quite as good at being super granular like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Baronash posted:

Are there any shortcuts you use that'll make you think "hold on, I think there might be something here"?

Make sure to look at all possible checks! If you do that in this position, you would have to evaluate these moves:

Qe1+ (loses the queen)
Rxh2+ (loses the rook and the bishop, but its mate in 3)
Rf1+ (wins a queen for your rook and your bishop)
Qxf3+ (wins a pawn and trades queens)
Bg2+ (mate in 2)

I know thats not much of a shortcut, since you still have to look at a bunch of moves, but maybe this will help you prioritize which moves to look at first.

EDIT: oops, Rxh2+ is actually mate in 3! I didnt look at the followup after i saw it losing material. shows what i know.

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 7, 2022

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Redmark posted:

Looking at a position like that my evaluation would be "come on there has to be mate here",

Hand Knit posted:

Do you have more pieces around your opponent's king than they have? Look for the kill.

yeah these are the shortcuts OP needed! If you've played enough games, you tell at a glance that Black has a winning move here, even if you don't see it immediately.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
A good rule of thumb is two more attacking pieces than defending pieces. Here black has a Queen, Rook and Bishop versus just a white Bishop defending the King. That means there is very likely a forced mate somewhere.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
As a side note, for spotting Rxh2+, if you play that black has two pieces on white's king and white has no defenders.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Baronash posted:

How do you improve your ability to recognize mating patterns and good moves in actual games? I've gone through (twice, in some cases) the mating patterns, tactics, and endgame examples on Lichess. I average about 30-40 puzzles a day, review tactics and positions from books, and have tried to work in some YT content on chess tactics and strategy.

But in actual games, at least when I'm not getting crushed, I'm ending up in positions like this:

And just completely blowing it. Instead of the obvious mate in 2, I went Rf1 to get his queen. I ended up missing a forced checkmate 3 more times before finally blundering my queen and losing.

In a puzzle, I know there is a great move buried somewhere, so I'll spend as long as I need to find it. In a game though, even on long time controls I'm never sure if a position warrants more evaluation. Are there any shortcuts you use that'll make you think "hold on, I think there might be something here"?

what was the time control? in blitz/bullet it's more about developing an intuition for it i think. in time controls where you can actually slow down and think more, something like this mate in 2 you can just kinda brute force by looking at all the checks or forcing moves you have, every move, and calculating them out 1 or 2 moves ahead to see if they lead anywhere

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

and by developing an intuition, i kinda mean you have to learn the basic checkmate patterns, and as you play attacking moves you can be eyeballing the opponent's king and counting how many escape squares he currently has if he theoretically was in check right now, and then you see if you can cut them off and go in for the kill.

like in this bullet game i had the other day, i hadnt fully calculated it out but i had a good feeling that if i sac my bishop by taking the pawn on b5, then i would be able to take back with my knight with check, and then my 2 rooks plus knight with the king kinda wide open like that against only a bishop and bad rook might be enough to hunt around for a checkmate since the king would be pretty trapped in without many escape squares:

and it worked out, the rest of the game went like this
14. Bxb5 cxb5
15. Nxb5+ Kb7
16. Rd8 h6
17. Nd6+ Kc7
18. Ne8+ Kc6
19. R1d6+ Kc5
20. Rd5+ Kc6
21. R8d6+ Kb7
22. Rb5# { White wins by checkmate. } 1-0

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

I'm pretty sure the word "gambit" comes from chess and made its way out into the wider world. Myself, I find myself saying "intermezzo" instead of "intermediate" pretty often.

Intermezzo is probably more associated with music than chess for most people. But yeah zugzwang is a very cool word. Gambit, stalemate and checkmate all have a fair amount of use out in the world. Endgame, also.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

a big thing that helped me start seeing checkmates on the board was realizing that if you attack a king, the two squares kinda diagonal and back from the king are often key escape squares:

and those escape squares are cut off, the kind might be particularly vulnerable to a mating threat. this can be because the king is pushed up against the edge of the board, or it can be because you used something like a rook to cut off a file or a bishop to cut off a diagonal, or often it's just because his own pieces are in the way:

if i see something like those two kings on the board, i'm instantly on the lookout for a quick mate

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 7, 2022

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

now THIS is a win. eastern bullet arena ftw!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

fart simpson posted:

now THIS is a win. eastern bullet arena ftw!

I was like "where the gently caress is White's king?" For a full ten seconds there. The worst skin.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Feel like I've unlocked an achievement.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
I saw a thread once that says the 'cheat detected' triggers if the player has a lichess analysis board up in another window of their browser but it is not so sophisticated as to check they were mirroring the current game.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

:unsmith:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I decided to play on a throwaway lichess account and i'm a bit proud that i found this mate in 3 despite being all but lost

https://lichess.org/wJMZbT5K/black#33

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
If there are any other amateur weight-lifters in the chess thread, check this out:

Losing 6 blitz games in a row is a great way to get really pissed off so you can bang out several difficult reps!

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
They should be a version of those garden chess sets where each piece weighs over 20kg.

edit: haha looked up the heaviest one I could find and whoa

quote:

MegaChess 72 Inch Teak Giant Chess Set specifications

King 1 black and 1 white piece 72" tall with 19" base 135 lbs
Queen 1 black and 1 white piece 63" tall with 18"base 100 lbs
Bishop 2 black and 2 white pieces 51 tall with 16 base - 65 lbs
Knight 2 black and 2 white pieces 42 tall with 16 base 100 lbs
Rook 2 black and 2 white pieces 35" tall with 17" base 70 lbs
Pawn 8 black and 8 white pieces 30 tall with 14" base" 45 lbs

rollick fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 9, 2022

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Helianthus Annuus posted:

If there are any other amateur weight-lifters in the chess thread, check this out:

Losing 6 blitz games in a row is a great way to get really pissed off so you can bang out several difficult reps!

Sometimes I just wish I could anchor my rating two or three hundred points below where it is now so I wouldn't have to face the inevitable stream of losses when I fly too close to the sun.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

rollick posted:

They should be a version of those garden chess sets where each piece weighs over 20kg.

tag yourself i'm queen height

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

man i hate when i win a game with a tactic i thought was some savage genius and after it’s over the computer tells me it was total garbage and there were like 3 escapes from it

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Well they say using a computer is cheating therefore whatever the computer tells you is cheating so you were a savage genius all along!!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

jesus WEP posted:

man i hate when i win a game with a tactic i thought was some savage genius and after its over the computer tells me it was total garbage and there were like 3 escapes from it

Me stumbling into a three move tactic: :v:
Computer tells me it actually was a blunder from move one: :smith:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Dias posted:

Me stumbling into a three move tactic: :v:
Computer tells me it actually was a blunder from move one: :smith:

Suboptimal line and still won. You're showboating.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

rollick posted:

...and you have to move them all in one motion, no stopping

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Guys, I've done it. I'm finally...stronger than a new account on Lichess!

Now I must never play another match to retain my superiority

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
I don't think I understand this Lichess puzzle, possibly because I've only recently managed to work my way this far up (~1900) in my puzzle rating. Materially the solution boils down to "you win a pawn", but it's a full 5.0 points worth of eval at the default depth. What endgame principle am I missing?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Captain von Trapp posted:

I don't think I understand this Lichess puzzle, possibly because I've only recently managed to work my way this far up (~1900) in my puzzle rating. Materially the solution boils down to "you win a pawn", but it's a full 5.0 points worth of eval at the default depth. What endgame principle am I missing?

Two pawns (after the king moves, you get another) and end up with a passed pawn.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
It's kind of a poo poo puzzle because the 'only' move is trivially obvious. The 'point' is that it's a trivially winning endgame, and any move other than the obvious move lets black defend the a-pawn with the king thereby stabilizing.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

silvergoose posted:

Two pawns (after the king moves, you get another) and end up with a passed pawn.

which is why black's best move is to block with the rook instead of moving the king. but it's a lost endgame anyway

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

chess.com please stop making daily puzzles with the solution being "black just loving blunders into M2". Thanks.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i finally did it.

2000 puzzle rating baby. now to stop doing puzzles forever

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

fisting by many posted:

chess.com please stop making daily puzzles with the solution being "black just loving blunders into M2". Thanks.

If you're talking about today's "happy birthday Tatev" one, I'm not sure how they're supposed to avoid mate? You can delay it one move by saccing the queen I guess.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Maugrim posted:

If you're talking about today's "happy birthday Tatev" one, I'm not sure how they're supposed to avoid mate? You can delay it one move by saccing the queen I guess.

I was referring to the Sunday puzzle

The first move seems obvious, grab the hanging piece, but it's impossible to see the continuation from there because the continuation is black making consecutive blunders and throwing the game.

So I'm staring at this puzzle like "Ok white seems to be winning here but... what happens next... what's the trick... how is this a sunday puzzle :confused: "

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

fisting by many posted:

The first move seems obvious, grab the hanging piece, but it's impossible to see the continuation from there because the continuation is black making consecutive blunders and throwing the game.

So I'm staring at this puzzle like "Ok white seems to be winning here but... what happens next... what's the trick... how is this a sunday puzzle :confused: "

Okay I've found the one you're talking about. Weirdly in my calendar it's down as a Monday puzzle (the 10th), must be some time zone shenanigans. But wow yeah that's a poo poo puzzle.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Yeah, I find a lot of the chess.com dailies that way. It feels like the opponent is making the same kind of blunders I would make and then wish I could take back.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

my favorite chess.com daily puzzles are the ones that feature en passant and a whole lot of people in the comments furious because they think the puzzle is bugged

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

AIs getting into chess coaching: https://www.science.org/content/article/ai-unmasks-anonymous-chess-players-posing-privacy-risks

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

fisting by many posted:

i think the point there is to find the best move in the position, not necessarily find the complete continuation. the moves are taken from a real game, so while, yes, black blunders mate, if white doesn't find the right second move the game reaches equality and then the continuation to mate (in the actual game black resigned after white's second move)

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
also the chess.com daily puzzles seem to reset in difficulty at the start of every week and get harder afterwards so hopefully poo poo puzzles aren't appearing every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

in the middle of a correspondence game and i worked out a line that seemed to guarantee that i'd win a pawn within 5 moves because of some tactics. almost played the first move to enter the line and did my final check to make sure everythings ok, and noticed atthe end of the whole thing he had a discovered attack that would have won my queen. lol, thats why you always keep thinking