Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah I rarely play solo, I usually play with guys from my discord group, but we all started playing around the same time a few months ago so we're generally all around the same skill level. I think a big part of it just feels like we get out-cannoned pretty much always which can feel frustrating.

Thanks for this, this is a great breakdown for the components that make up cannonball trajectory. I'll have to do some practice with this.

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

once you know how to angle your sails against the wind

I was curious what you meant by this and I found this video which is fascinating, yeah there was something pretty fundamental and unintuitive that I was missing with regard to sailing directly into the wind, this explains why I often can't escape from enemies. Neat to find out that the different sails contribute different levels of propulsion too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Skyarb posted:

The fact that boarding is actually pretty much necessary is kinda a bummer. Chain shot and curse balls help but really you still need to get someone on board. And a good boarder is 1000x more effective than a full crew who is just really good on cannons

I'm ~160 hrs in now and my friends and I are at the point where we try to board, sometimes successfully, but it's not necessary yet. I haven't felt the real need to try to board unless we're fighting very high skill people, who are usually already boarding you anyhow so you best learn how to defend if you want to even escape. I do feel like I'm at a weird skill level where I can take down a galleon full of relative newcomers myself, but I still can't survive more than a few minutes against any size veteran crew. It's been a while since I've had a close fight.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

something pretty fundamental and unintuitive that I was missing with regard to sailing directly into the wind, this explains why I often can't escape from enemies. Neat to find out that the different sails contribute different levels of propulsion too.

This is a good, old timey kind of chart about when to use dummy sails(sailing into the wind with the sails facing front)

or really, which boat is fastest in a given condition. As you can see, the sloop is only ever ranked #1 directly into the wind.

Sekhmnet fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jan 2, 2022

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

That's in a boat race though. If you're just travelling the world map you want to angle sails to the wind on every ship if you can, right?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

mrmcd posted:

That's in a boat race though. If you're just travelling the world map you want to angle sails to the wind on every ship if you can, right?

Not on the sloop when going into the wind or even on a beat

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

mrmcd posted:

The ship guide posted above gives you the ideal positioning for each ship depending on the direction of the wind. You'll always go faster if you can catch the wind in your sails, but otherwise for a sloop default sails (aka dummied sails) are faster than angled sails. This is a design decision to make them easier to manage for solo players. The bigger ships do get an advantage with angled sails if the wind is coming in from the front at an angle.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Another caveat is the wave physics affect your speed, so in some cases ships that'd theoretically be slower are better at going against them.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Bought the game yesterday on Steam sale, joined the goon discord and went off on my first adventure in a 3-man brig. Our fearless Captain and first mate brought me up to speed on basic points of the game as we hoisted a golddiggers emissary flag and went on a vault mission. We completed the map for the vault, but ended up skirmishing with a few ships for a good hour and a half that kept us away from actually finishing our intended voyage. Despite that, we sank a few ships without getting sunk ourselves and turned in some hefty booty (in my noob eyes) to rocket my rank up to 25ish and put 60 ancient bux in my pocket. Overall it was 5/5 great seafaring--can't wait to sail again and hopefully actually land a chainshot on a mast.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Mongoose posted:

Bought the game yesterday on Steam sale, joined the goon discord and went off on my first adventure in a 3-man brig. Our fearless Captain and first mate brought me up to speed on basic points of the game as we hoisted a golddiggers emissary flag and went on a vault mission. We completed the map for the vault, but ended up skirmishing with a few ships for a good hour and a half that kept us away from actually finishing our intended voyage. Despite that, we sank a few ships without getting sunk ourselves and turned in some hefty booty (in my noob eyes) to rocket my rank up to 25ish and put 60 ancient bux in my pocket. Overall it was 5/5 great seafaring--can't wait to sail again and hopefully actually land a chainshot on a mast.

The part where the reaper collided with the other sloop (who was previously being a dick to us for no reason) and then they both somehow exploded, sank, and we took everyone's loot was :discourse:.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

mrmcd posted:

The part where the reaper collided with the other sloop (who was previously being a dick to us for no reason) and then they both somehow exploded, sank, and we took everyone's loot was :discourse:.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WaterloggedBlondDogwoodtwigborer-mobile.mp4

Zesty fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 6, 2022

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

That is the best thing ive ever seen in this game

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lmfao, exploding like a car in an action movie when it rams something. pure gold

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Hihohe posted:

That is the best thing ive ever seen in this game

The funny part is how loving salty the reaper was about it. We pulled a ton of stuff of those wrecks, including two opened ashen chests. After they respawned the sailed back and basically spent 2 hours following us around that section of the map skirmishing to a draw, ignoring like 3 other player ships nearby despite our best efforts to bait them into going after someone easier.

To their credit they were good enough to eventually deny us a chance to open the final L75 vault (thout not good enough to steal it), but the sheer amount of NOT MAD silently coming through the screen was hilarious.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

mrmcd posted:

The funny part is how loving salty the reaper was about it.

Reapers being salty about pvp is always a fun wtf cherry on the sunday.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I can not get passed the fishing tutorial. The line always breaks before I can real it in.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Lammasu posted:

I can not get passed the fishing tutorial. The line always breaks before I can real it in.

Don't reel when the fish is fighting, lean your rod whichever direction the fish is while its fighting.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Sekhmnet posted:

Don't reel when the fish is fighting, lean your rod whichever direction the fish is while its fighting.

I do that and it doesn't work.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Hold your buttons opposite where the fish is swimming and spam click when it is fighting. There are 5 degrees of lean: left, left-middle, middle, right-middle, right, so always be holding back. When it's calm you can just click and hold.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

life_source posted:

Hold your buttons opposite where the fish is swimming and spam click when it is fighting. There are 5 degrees of lean: left, left-middle, middle, right-middle, right, so always be holding back. When it's calm you can just click and hold.

I'm using a controller.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Lammasu posted:

I'm using a controller.

In that case:

Hold your movement thumbstick opposite where the fish is swimming. There are 5 degrees of lean: left, left-middle, middle, right-middle, right, so always be holding back. When it's calm you can just hold whatever controller button reels in.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Lammasu posted:

I'm using a controller.

I loaded up the game and caught my first fish with a controller to pass on this knowledge:

Hold your left stick opposite where the fish is swimming and spam right trigger when it is fighting/the line is taut. There are 5 degrees of lean: left, left-middle, middle, right-middle, right. When it's calm/the line is slack you can just hold the trigger.

First impression is that it's similarly difficult compared to a mouse. Don't click/pull in the normal way, angle your device so it's easier.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

life_source posted:

I loaded up the game and caught my first fish with a controller to pass on this knowledge:

Hold your left stick opposite where the fish is swimming and spam right trigger when it is fighting/the line is taut. There are 5 degrees of lean: left, left-middle, middle, right-middle, right. When it's calm/the line is slack you can just hold the trigger.

First impression is that it's similarly difficult compared to a mouse. Don't click/pull in the normal way, angle your device so it's easier.

You don't need to spam trigger or the mouse button. It risks breaking the line, just to reduce time slightly.

life_source
May 11, 2008

DeadlyMuffin posted:

You don't need to spam trigger or the mouse button. It risks breaking the line, just to reduce time slightly.

This has to be wrong because I have a 100% catch rate. I cannot remember the last time I had a line break and I have and will spend hours only fishing because it's intensely calming.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

life_source posted:

This has to be wrong because I have a 100% catch rate. I cannot remember the last time I had a line break and I have and will spend hours only fishing because it's intensely calming.

Does it actually speed it up?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

A tiny bit yeah, but if you're doing a lot of fishing those seconds add up.

life_source
May 11, 2008

I'll be honest: I have always been under the impression you have to do it that way because the line would break otherwise. It feels wrong to do it any other way now.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

You know you're holding the stick in the correct direction during a fishing fight phase if there isn't a creaking wood sound, that sound means you're on the wrong angle and you risk breaking the line. This game has the most convoluted fishing mechanic of any game.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

life_source posted:

I'll be honest: I have always been under the impression you have to do it that way because the line would break otherwise. It feels wrong to do it any other way now.

You definitely don't have to, and I was trying to make it easier for the guy using the controller :-)

I just pull until the creaking gets really bad and then back off. That does mean I lose the occasional fish, but I only fish as a last resort so meh.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
What's the best way to get your ship decently supplied when starting a new game?

I've gathered that buying a supply crate and vacuuming up supplies is most popular, but I'm a poor noob so that's a bit expensive for how often I die. I've been beachcombing for free supply crates or otherwise just setting my sloop sailing into clear seas while I cannon out to fill my pockets and mermaid back. Are the random floating barrels at sea better than island barrels? Should I be targeting forts instead of general islands?

Ideally I'd like to load up on supplies quickly so I can go practice ship combat on NPC ships, or maybe even against player ships if I can find another sloop to fight. I charged into Flameheart yesterday and had a great time practicing combat maneuvers and cannon aiming on the ghost ships, but I ran out of cannonballs after a bit.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Mongoose posted:

What's the best way to get your ship decently supplied when starting a new game?

I've gathered that buying a supply crate and vacuuming up supplies is most popular, but I'm a poor noob so that's a bit expensive for how often I die. I've been beachcombing for free supply crates or otherwise just setting my sloop sailing into clear seas while I cannon out to fill my pockets and mermaid back. Are the random floating barrels at sea better than island barrels? Should I be targeting forts instead of general islands?

Ideally I'd like to load up on supplies quickly so I can go practice ship combat on NPC ships, or maybe even against player ships if I can find another sloop to fight. I charged into Flameheart yesterday and had a great time practicing combat maneuvers and cannon aiming on the ghost ships, but I ran out of cannonballs after a bit.

There's always a fort nearby, go loot that after your starting outpost.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Every time I loot a fort I get just food like bananas and coconuts, and kegs. Garbage, really.

I like to go to the next port town over and just loot those barrels. I always find gimmick balls and other cool things when I do.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Is it still the best practice to store gunpowder in the crow's nest even though it'll blow up with the mast falling, just because everywhere else is liable to sink you with one bad cannonball?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Mongoose posted:

I've gathered that buying a supply crate and vacuuming up supplies is most popular, but I'm a poor noob so that's a bit expensive for how often I die.

Find a skelly sloop and sink it. Free supply crate and some loot, and it's very low risk.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Mongoose posted:

While it takes longer without supply crates, making the multiple trips to gather all the supplies from barrels on the starting outpost should get you decently stocked. Otherwise, you've got the right idea regarding cannoning to islands to quickly fill your pockets or using free supply crates you can find. If you've got the time to park and explore, there's no reason not take all the supplies you can find at each location. Floating barrels at sea, shipwrecks, and rowboats have a chance of containing meat, but otherwise are similar to the barrels you'll find on land. It feels like forts have more cannon balls than general islands, but I've not confirmed if this is actually true. Cannon rowboats have a ridiculous amount of supplies, especially cannon balls.

Skeleton ships and megs will usually drop at least one supply crate with their loot, which will offset some of the supplies needed to to beat them. Ghost ships will occasionally drop phantom crates after you sink them, which helps a lot with doing OoS voyages or Flameheart. It also seems like barrels filled with cannonballs and wood are more likely to spawn near active world events.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Is it still the best practice to store gunpowder in the crow's nest even though it'll blow up with the mast falling, just because everywhere else is liable to sink you with one bad cannonball?

This is what I do if I'm bothering with them. Yeah they'll take down the mast if they explode, but they're less likely to start sinking your ship right away while still being moderately hidden. I've heard some people put them on the bowsprit as an alternative, but I'm not certain of all the advantages/disadvantages. They're certainly more visible there. Useful for ramming strategies though.

glitchwraith fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 7, 2022

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

It's fun to see discord goons on here. Whatup glitch!

glitchwraith posted:

Cannon rowboats have a ridiculous amount of supplies, especially cannon balls.

This is true and amazing

glitchwraith posted:

Skeleton ships and megs will usually drop at least one supply crate with their loot, which will offset some of the supplies needed to to beat them. Ghost ships will occasionally drop phantom crates after you sink them, which helps a lot with doing OoS voyages or Flameheart.

Skeleton ships always drop a crate. I'm not sure mega always do.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Caught a fish. What I was doing wrong was thinking it was supposed to be vibrating.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The old wisdom I remember someone saying is to put gunpowder at the tip of the bowsprit where it can do the least damage if it goes off.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Shoot it after you ram an enemies ship :getin:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
the classic SBIED is a rarely seen, oft-ineffective but always spectacular play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Mongoose posted:

If you don't wanna buy a crate then yeah, island hopping. The barrels at sea are worth jumping in for, if you're solo you can mermaid back or just hit anchor for a minute or two. The floating barrels around events like Flameheart are usually extra full of cannons and lumber. I want to say the packs of ships in flameheart also drop ghostly supply crates that also have some food in them, but it's been a while since I've done the event.

I grab everything at the port I start in, slap a mission down(just to get me pointed somewhere in the world) and grab floating barrels and stop at islands until I feel like I'm reasonably well supplied. I don't usually buy a storage crate unless I know I'm absolutely going to be on for a while or playing with others since I usually just tool around while listening to music and smoking weed.(it's a very pretty game) I'm at a point where if it isn't a captains' chest or better I just re-bury it or leave it. Turning poo poo in, especially solo, takes forever. I'll leave all the crap skulls and chachkies in a collectors chest behind and bring one or two of the chests back to the ship just for turning in gems and the good skulls.

Island hopping is also good for getting furious skulls from the skelly 'captains' and their missions seem to be on the island you kill them at again; they usually have a collector's full of gems or something good to dig up with the missions they drop. I'm renown 50 something from just island hopping and trying out a few of those relatively new lost shipment merchant missions.

Sekhmnet fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 8, 2022