Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Green Intern posted:

In my heart, I want Estelle to end this arc by telling Mary she was apocalyptically wrong.

and also with an ethereal halo for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

RoboRodent posted:

I genuinely don't know why I hate the term "Jill of all trades" but I do, so.

Because Jack of all trades is a well known thing, but a Jill doesn't work for it. Jill of all skills works much better.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

loving Online Animals

I guess this is a Stinker arc type thing. Alrighty.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

PetraCore posted:

I like the kwanzaa story. It's dumb and nonsensical, but the point he's trying to make is that sometimes all you need to do is ask politely, and that it's generous to share if you can when people ask. The actual facts of the story are nonsense, and there really needed to be time to explain why she wasn't just sharing all the water (maybe the wood spirit wanted offerings from each person using the water?), but I get what he's going for.

Yeah I understand the message, but maybe it would have worked better if the village wasn't in the middle of a horrible drought, just "This woman has a much nicer looking place than us." Then it makes the three women who stole the jug out to be truly villainous and selfish, and doesn't make the woman with the infinite water jug an enormous rear end in a top hat for not telling the villagers dying of thirst "Hey there's a wood spirit who will give you all infinite water so you can live."

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Green Intern posted:

In my heart, I want Estelle to end this arc by telling Mary she was apocalyptically wrong.

Some glorious mea culpa

Haifisch posted:

Footrot Flats

Is this true? I am not a beach nor shark aware person

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

They're smaller than humans, so more likely to make a shark wonder if they're prey.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Also they often swim like thrashing idiots, especially when they're excited and playing. That sort of uncoordinated, messy motion and noise is the exact sort of thing that a shark (1) can detect a good distance away with its ears and lateral line and (2) would be interested in investigating.

To be clear, it's not like you might as well swim with raw tuna steaks strapped to your chest as have a dog on a beach, it's just one of those lists of things that can up your chances for having a shark involved with your day, along with stuff like
-swimming at dawn or dusk (shark hours vary but lots of them are crepuscular)
-swimming near sewage outflows (even if a shark wouldn't eat it, it may want to eat whatever DOES)
-swimming near river mouths or similarly murky water (it's a great place to hide and find prey)
-wearing shiny stuff on your limbs which could be mistaken for fish scales

Avoiding all of the above doesn't guarantee safety, and any of them being present doesn't automatically doom you to being put on a news report, but it all can maybe make a difference.

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 7, 2022

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Mary Worth is the best comic in this thread.

The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So Wilbur fell off the wagon, again, and Estelle is trapped with him for however long a senior citizen cruise lasts, and there is no way that at this point Moy intends to make him come off as sympathetic because that'd just be entirely too much after this whirlwind of a storyline

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The ocean is loving scary and poo poo will eat you. Don’t gently caress around in it. I hate they have to basically hunt down and kill man eaters because it’s not their fault we resemble wounded seals flopping around.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Crab Dad posted:

The ocean is loving scary and poo poo will eat you. Don’t gently caress around in it.
concur'd

Crab Dad posted:

I hate they have to basically hunt down and kill man eaters because it’s not their fault we resemble wounded seals flopping around.
As far as I'm aware* they don't particularly have to do that with sharks; there's no real evidence of an individual shark falling into the 'hmm i'm old and sick and toothless and these bipedal apes are easy pickins' sort of habit that big cats can. Even the very rare instances where a shark actually attacks someone with premeditated intent to kill and eat them (and succeeds) seem to be opportunistic 'oh hey I'll do this' moments rather than the beginning of a long, sordid career.
That said, there's always freak outliers. Mattawan Creek's triple-attack-in-one-afternoon pileup (which was the deadliest of a string of shark attacks along New Jersey in 1916 that directly inspired Jaws) does seem to be an incident where an individual shark may have just gone fuckin' apeshit.

PS: all of us absolutely look like wounded seals flopping around and no i'm not just talking about when we're swimming.

*Important note: I am NOT a marine biologist, and the foundation of most of my amateur shark facts dates back to books published around 2004-2012ish, so take all this with a grain of salt and the distinct possibility that Crab Dad knows more than I do

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 7, 2022

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I hate the fact that sharks are seen as scary and mean. Bears are scary and mean. Rattlesnakes are scary and mean.

As a biologist, let me say: if you came into my house and started kicking poo poo around, I'd get pissed off too. And you start digging into my kitchen or food pantry, I'd come kick your rear end.

We think of these animals as dangerous when we are literally invading their areas. Don't want to be attacked by a shark? Don't loving go in his house!

Comic wise, DTWOF is still one of my faves. I still hate the woman Mo gets with, but I don't think anyone really likes her.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Apr 7, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jul 10-11, 1990)

No Blind Alley today

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

The Sally Forth Retro-Fest-O-Rama

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (April 24-25, 1934)

Peanuts (January 8-9, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 6 and 8, 1938)

Out Our Way (January 6-8, 1938; spoiler for the usual reasons)

Toonerville Folks (July 22-24, 1918)

Dok's Dippy Doomsday Weapon (December 4, 1913)

I See By The Papers (still subbing for Lefty) (November 21-23, 1935)

(Something about Barbara Hutton, for what it's worth.)

Welcome back to Blondie (From Zero), and the chase is on. (July 6-8, 1931)

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Sharks are good and actually are not very interested in eating humans (we're kind of stringy and bony and not worth their time) but are only so smart and also the only way they have of investigating a thing is to bite it with their mouth of razors. Most shark "attacks" are exploratory: they bite once, conclude this is not food, and leave it. It's just that, you know, we're comparatively fragile.

Drakyn posted:

To be clear, it's not like you might as well swim with raw tuna steaks strapped to your chest as have a dog on a beach, it's just one of those lists of things that can up your chances for having a shark involved with your day, along with stuff like
-swimming at dawn or dusk (shark hours vary but lots of them are crepuscular)
-swimming near sewage outflows (even if a shark wouldn't eat it, it may want to eat whatever DOES)
-swimming near river mouths or similarly murky water (it's a great place to hide and find prey)
-wearing shiny stuff on your limbs which could be mistaken for fish scales

This is all very good advice, and a lot of this is just limiting the chances of a shark making a mistake by not being in places where sharks are going to be hunting or where visibility is poor. It's worth pointing out that a human in a wetsuit looks a hell of a lot like a seal to a shark, and probably a wounded seal from the way we swim. A seal is fatty and nutritious for a large shark in a way humans aren't.

There's an average of, oh, eight or ten shark-related fatalities worldwide every year. We kill about seventy million of them every year. :shrug:

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! January 27, 1919

Outbursts of Everett True January 29, 1919

Gay and Her Gang February 7, 1930

Oaky Doaks July 9, 1936

Mopsy September 16, 1937

Up Front October 20, 1944

Dark Laughter June 10, 1950

So It Seems March 22, 1952

Those Were the Days November 28, 1957

Wee Pals March 31, 1966

Dogbert October 24, 1966

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

I thought I'd read all the Far Side, but I keep getting cartoons that are new to me (or I forgot them). This is the opposite of a problem.
I think I like his speechless strips the best.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

RoboRodent posted:

This is all very good advice, and a lot of this is just limiting the chances of a shark making a mistake by not being in places where sharks are going to be hunting or where visibility is poor. It's worth pointing out that a human in a wetsuit looks a hell of a lot like a seal to a shark, and probably a wounded seal from the way we swim. A seal is fatty and nutritious for a large shark in a way humans aren't.
To highlight this, the international shark attack broadly categorizes shark attacks into three categories - hit-and-run, sneak, and bump-and-bite. The nonpredatory attacks (hit-and-run) are the overwhelming majority of all human-shark woopsies and they cover everything from 'woops thought your hand was a fish' to bodychecking a guy in hip waders head-over-heels for horning in on a school of fish you're eating (this one actually happened) to 'GET OUTTA MY SPACE bye now.' And the overwhelming majority of THOSE are nonfatal, frequently with very minor injuries if any.
Bump-and-bite and sneak attacks are extremely rare - bump-and-bite is basically exploration-with-intent-to-consume (think a movie shark attack, with the circling and investigating); and sneak attack is just attacking a human with the same sort of technique you would any large prey item - rapid, massive force with intent to kill. They're far, far, far more likely to be lethal, which says something about how rarely sharks actually want to eat people, since, well:

RoboRodent posted:

There's an average of, oh, eight or ten shark-related fatalities worldwide every year. We kill about seventy million of them every year. :shrug:
'Comedy is when a million sharks fall into a fishing net and die. Tragedy is when one bites a surfer.'
:smith:

:coolfish: deserve better neighbors than we.

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 7, 2022

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Drakyn posted:

concur'd

As far as I'm aware* they don't particularly have to do that with sharks; there's no real evidence of an individual shark falling into the 'hmm i'm old and sick and toothless and these bipedal apes are easy pickins' sort of habit that big cats can. Even the very rare instances where a shark actually attacks someone with premeditated intent to kill and eat them (and succeeds) seem to be opportunistic 'oh hey I'll do this' moments rather than the beginning of a long, sordid career.
That said, there's always freak outliers. Mattawan Creek's triple-attack-in-one-afternoon pileup (which was the deadliest of a string of shark attacks along New Jersey in 1916 that directly inspired Jaws) does seem to be an incident where an individual shark may have just gone fuckin' apeshit.

PS: all of us absolutely look like wounded seals flopping around and no i'm not just talking about when we're swimming.

*Important note: I am NOT a marine biologist, and the foundation of most of my amateur shark facts dates back to books published around 2004-2012ish, so take all this with a grain of salt and the distinct possibility that Crab Dad knows more than I do

In the past there’s some sort of morbid fascination with recovering body parts sharks have consumed for closure or whatever. Simply revenge imo.
I’m a big fan of sharks because they are natures dumpster divers just eating whatever trash is available plus the sick and the lame.
I’ve put in a lot of vokuteer hours under marine biologists but I’m just a layman of fish science. I’m also a huge fisherman/trapper in a fishery with almost 0 bycatch and that makes me feel pretty good as a steward.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Crab Dad posted:

In the past there’s some sort of morbid fascination with recovering body parts sharks have consumed for closure or whatever. Simply revenge imo.
God damnit moby dick is not a new story haven't these chucklefucks read it yet

Crab Dad posted:

I’m a big fan of sharks because they are natures dumpster divers just eating whatever trash is available plus the sick and the lame.
I’ve put in a lot of vokuteer hours under marine biologists but I’m just a layman of fish science. I’m also a huge fisherman/trapper in a fishery with almost 0 bycatch and that makes me feel pretty good as a steward.
:unsmith:

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (January 6-8, 1938; spoiler for the usual reasons)

$200 in 1938 is worth $3,942.52 today.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

This is one of my favorite Far Sides.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom (double Terry edition)

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Anyone ever thought about what changes they'd make if they ran the funny pages?

I've already mentioned I'd like to put Norm Feuti on Dustin and turn the entire strip on its head. And having written Gil, he could actually do something with the neighbor kid, whose name I can't be arsed to remember.

I really wanted Olivia James to revitalize Nancy, but she really seems to have fallen into a one-joke rut. I'd like to get Jerry Scott back, as his run was decent. Closer to Bushmiller but still very much his own style.

On the other hand, I'm actually enjoying new Mark Trail. The art is rough, but the faces are expressive for the first time ever. I'd maybe give her a new editor or team her up with someone more experienced to polish things up a bit.

What would you do with the power of the comics syndicate behind you?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Esplanade posted:

Prince Valiant reruns, full size, full color, daily. The rest of the page will be sold to wildly inappropriate but very expensive advertisements. Reader outrage will not be an issue because anyone old enough to be upset will not be able to navigate our byzantine website and phone tree and cancel their subscriptions.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Slammy posted:

So It Seems March 22, 1952

After all those exaggerated ones it feels charming to see this one done so simply. Thanks for diffing these up.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

That reminds me of the time my wife had a customer let their kid (we assumed) take a poo poo on a top of pile of childrens clothes in a "limited too" changing stall and used shirts to wipe rear end.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ashsaber posted:

Jill of all skills works much better.

Why yes, now that is a phrase that would never be taken out of context, ever.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Esplanade posted:

make Randy Milholland the permanent Popeye guy

https://twitter.com/PopeyeTweetsk/status/1466425688349683730

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Haifisch posted:

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Mark Trail is getting weird

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I don't know if Tauhid ever read this thread (I know he was around during the time in which the forum existence was up in the air), but Crabgrass is very good.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Esplanade posted:

I don't like new Mark Trail very much, as opposed to others in this thread, but since we're all hating Mary Worth right now, I'd love to see Jules take over that instead.

Also clone Will Henry and have him take over Nancy. Or just put Jerry Scott back on it like you said. Olivia Jaimes is better than the Dark Ages of Gilchrist, and she is absolutely capable of making fantastic strips every so often, but as I've said many times before she frequently just makes the same joke, and all of the children just seem full of anger and bitterness. There are so few strips where a character is actually happy, most of the time they're just angrily arguing with the other character in their mind.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Esplanade posted:

Cancel Dustin, give Rex Morgan and Mary Worth new writers, and also, brand new runs for Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Blueberry: Ah, Wally - we barely knew ye, ya dead bastard, or Count yourself lucky, Luckner - other people had to go to surface of the moon to find a monolith like that, or What does Prosit see?! Tune in, next time, for -

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (March 14, 2010)

Arlo and Janis Classic (March 14, 2000)

Garfield Classic (March 14, 1990)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: baby's growing up! (May 2-8, 2005)

Modern Kevin & Kell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Ah right, the weird right wing belief that only tall men are manly and thus women only want to date tall men.

Which is funny because right wingers like Ben Shapiro.