Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Outrail posted:

Off the top of my head I'd assume they don't want the competition.

:lol: like any random goon would ever really be competing for the same clients as another person. No matter how many people we tell “don’t be a lawyer,” states admit thousands of new attorneys multiple times a year. There are so many lawyers all scrambling for the same garbage rear end no paying jobs.

For more, see this instructional video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs-UEqJ85KE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I got a lot of satisfaction being a employment plaintiffs lawyer . It’s not all misery and ennui

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The subject matter is still someone who was hurt. They’re not coming to you because of good things in their life. You may find satisfaction in helping them, but it doesn’t change why they’re talking to you in the first place.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

If your goal is a relatively cheap regional law school and then to hang out your own shingle in your home town or something then by all means

When the kids these days ask me about going to law school my reply is usually "is one of your parents a judge or partner in a law firm?"

Mr. Nice! posted:

Being a lawyer is not fun. You deal with miserable poo poo as a matter of daily practice. No one is going to a lawyer with good news. They’re going because they were hurt in some way or are being accused of hurting someone. Every ounce of the job is steeped in misery. The stress you have to deal with is not worth the garbage pay that’s offered. Plus you have to interact with lawyers all day. Who wants that?
. . .

Another thing I disliked about litigation is the necessary antagonism. The person on the other side of the aisle, even if they’re my actual friend, is hostile to my clients and doing everything possible to gently caress my clients. That’s their job. It sucks to have conflict filling every interpersonal relationship you have.

Working in a public defender's office is nice because all your coworkers are public spirited nice people. I'm very lucky though, very professional office and my county has a pay parity with prosecutors rule so all I have to worry about is overwork and the alcoholism culture.

It's still massively stressful though. Long term I'd like to get into some sort of government or in-house work, but I've been saying that for a long time now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Government work can be great . Very small amounts of it and the pay is lol in most cases

Except if you are federal. Military service -> JD -> federal attorney isn’t bad. You have to be in the military for awhile which could be horrendous

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Representing plaintiffs against experienced, serial corporate litigants is fighting the good fight, but also extremely draining, because they use anything that worked with a sympathetic or careless judge anywhere in the country to pry the door open a little bit more in your case. They will attempt anything and everything remotely plausible, because it is literally their job in the American system to do so. Opposing counsel briefly got a trial court judge to reject a recent on-point US Supreme Court holding by citing a line taken out of context from a law review article. Law school itself was extremely fun, but the reality (for me) was a small amount of interesting legal research and large amounts of writing long papers the judge may not read carefully. It is small consolation that the judge may also not read the other side's long papers carefully either.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh right never take a job with billable hours

You have been warned

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
I don't know what the gently caress these people are on about.

A master's degree in law is a great qualification and a very interesting experience. Law scool is free, it's one of three universities all of which are great and you might even get some hands on experience. Like Toona. The students are usually okay, parties are nice, and you graduate with a prestigious degree that makes you highly qualified for a number of jobs. Sure, it's hard to get an attorney's license, two years of work as an assistant attorney, prosecutor or judge but it's worth it to avoid feeling second rate and for the litigation experience.

And if you fail out, hell it was free, a cool experience and social benefits will easily keep you afloat until you decide on something else, and free healthcare is there if you get sick. So, I can hardly see the downside.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

What if you’re an inherently miserable rear end in a top hat that delights in the suffering of others

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

bird with big dick posted:

What if you’re an inherently miserable rear end in a top hat that delights in the suffering of others

Then just get a STEM degree like a normal person

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Mr. Nice! posted:

On the flip side, I’m much happier as a PhD student than I ever was as a lawyer, and I make 3x what I made as a lawyer.

:eyepop:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

euphronius posted:

Oh right never take a job with billable hours

You have been warned

To clarify, I think Euph means that this applies to any job, not just law.

Billable hours office jobs suck balls.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

null_pointer posted:

Hey, lawyer goons. I know that the knee-jerk response to the question of "should I attend law school?" is pretty much always, haha LOL no.

This might just be a long running joke, but in case it isn't, why? What was so bad about law school and/or law practice that I've never seen a single lawyer goon encourage someone to go to law school?

In addition to what everyone else is saying, you will spend a lot of your time not actually doing lawyering, and instead either hustling for clients or fighting over billing.

I worked for an insurance defense firm, and while there was pretty much zero hustling, there was constant fighting over billing. Plaintiffs torte work is the opposite, and most other law falls somewhere in between.

EDIT: It's been twenty years, but in high school and college I was planning to be a lawyer. I did mock trial, where I met a lot of lawyers, and the ones I interacted the most with all told me the same thing: you'd probably be very good at this, don't do it.

It was the late 90s/early 00s, just as the law school glut was getting going, and I went so far as to take the LSAT before I made the correct decision and bailed on law school. The attorneys I worked with weren't making all that much more than I was at the time, worked way more hours, and had waaaaayyy more student debt. I'm sure they're making more now, but I dealt with way less stress and still probably work way fewer hours for not all that much less money in the government sector as a computer toucher.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 4, 2022

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

null_pointer posted:

Hey, lawyer goons. I know that the knee-jerk response to the question of "should I attend law school?" is pretty much always, haha LOL no.

This might just be a long running joke, but in case it isn't, why? What was so bad about law school and/or law practice that I've never seen a single lawyer goon encourage someone to go to law school?

would you consider yourself pro-substance abuse

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

These responses have all been excellent - both informative, and depressing. It boggles me that as a goober with fine / liberal arts degrees who stumbled into corporate IT, I probably make more than many lawyers, with a tiny fraction of the stress.

Thank you for the replies! I think my next lawyer should get a sampler basket containing Antabuse, Narcan, and methadone.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

null_pointer posted:

Thank you for the replies! I think my next lawyer should get a sampler basket containing Antabuse, Narcan, and methadone.

He or she should, yes, but will still prefer a good bottle of something.

Everything everyone said is true. I'm one of those weird lawyers that "won" the lottery, in that I practice in an interesting subfield, don't deal with human tragedy, and work reasonable hours, and I'll still echo them and say don't do it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

bird with big dick posted:

then being a lawyer is pretty fun

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

null_pointer posted:

I strongly recommend going to law school, any law school, as long as you post about it daily in the lawyer thread. Thanks, we're bored.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I like being a lawyer because I can afford a nice pot filler

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I like being a lawyer because I can afford a nice pot filler

Some people are saying its the Nicest Pot Filler, the most luxurious Pot Filler, many people, on both sides

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I quit an appellate admin law job to be a stay at home dad. Highly recommended

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

euphronius posted:

Government work can be great . Very small amounts of it and the pay is lol in most cases

My first real job out of college was for the state (environmental control agency) and I worked very closely with an environmental lawyer, the head of our enforcement team, who was one of the most amazing people I've ever known.

But yeah you don't work state government at all for the size of the paycheck (though you might for the benefits) and I'm sure that goes triple if you're a lawyer.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

I'm a state government lawyer. Pay is ~1/3 of my big law classmates (and the gap is only going to grow), but I have great union benefits, 35 hr/week schedule, good office culture, and get to do civil litigation against, generally speaking, entities that deserve it.

If you do want to go into the public interest, look into what law schools you can get into and what their public interest/loan forgiveness program is though. I have a recent Harvard law grad coworker who's up to their eyeballs in loan repayments, because Harvard is a complete skinflint and doesn't want their grads doing public interest. Other schools have much better public interest loan programs or much lower costs.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The federal one is 10 years if you jump threw some hoops.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I almost hate to mention it, but you can work for the state or feds and get the same benefits and decent pay WITHOUT becoming an attorney.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Thesaurus posted:

I almost hate to mention it, but you can work for the state or feds and get the same benefits and decent pay WITHOUT becoming an attorney.

Yeah, but you have to a cop unless you have a terminal degree or are upper managment.

Starpluck
Sep 11, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
You are in a gym, and someone asks you where to get steroids from. You tell him the website but you link him specifically to your affiliate code that offers monetary rewards

Is this against the law?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Starpluck posted:

You are in a gym playground, and someone asks you where to get steroids lawn darts from. You tell him the website but you link him specifically to your affiliate code that offers monetary rewards

Is this against the law?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Starpluck posted:

You are in a gym grocery store, and someone asks you where to get steroids kinder eggs from. You tell him the website aisle but you link him specifically to give a coupon with your affiliate code that offers monetary rewards

Is this against the law?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Starpluck posted:

You are in a gym, and someone asks you where to get steroids from. You tell him the website but you link him specifically to your affiliate code that offers monetary rewards

Is this against the law?

This is a better question for a private defense attorney in your jurisdiction. You might need to pay them some money. Good luck.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
What the hot take from our Lawyers here on the Supreme Court agreements for Biden's vaccine mandates? Doesn't look like the conservatives like it that much...

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
What's the website?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

daslog posted:

What the hot take from our Lawyers here on the Supreme Court agreements for Biden's vaccine mandates? Doesn't look like the conservatives like it that much...

If I was betting, I’d bet on the OSHA one going down and the CMMS one being permitted.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

daslog posted:

all the lawyers here have covid so we're a little busy

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Is it legal for me to establish a trust that turns into a tontine for my beneficiaries upon my death, with the quirk that the principle of the trust is awarded to the last living survivor? Would that survivor get around the laws that generally state you can’t inherit from someone you have murdered since they would have murdered another beneficiary and not the person they are inheriting from? It is very important to me that only the strongest of my issue survive.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

therobit posted:

Is it legal for me to establish a trust that turns into a tontine for my beneficiaries upon my death, with the quirk that the principle of the trust is awarded to the last living survivor? Would that survivor get around the laws that generally state you can’t inherit from someone you have murdered since they would have murdered another beneficiary and not the person they are inheriting from? It is very important to me that only the strongest of my issue survive.

Wills and trusts are really jurisdiction dependent, you'll need to talk to a local lawyer to figure out how to do this kind of detailed estate planning.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

sullat posted:

Wills and trusts are really jurisdiction dependent, you'll need to talk to a local lawyer to figure out how to do this kind of detailed estate planning.

Is there anything more broadly applicable if I instead want to force them into a competition of strength, cunning, guile, and ruthlessness that will leave all but one of them dead?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Yeah but your solicitor has to read the will to all of them at once in a room with a lit fireplace overhung with your painted portrait.

Thankfully the club chair are no longer required since the latest statutory update.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Nobody is going to fight over your collection of beanie babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I will