Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

odd anecdotal here: some of my conservative relatives watched it and enjoyed it. I do not think they are trolling, I think they legit found enough satire about the media and our shallow culture to find it funny. so a few possibilities: 1) the movie intentionally diluted some of the politics on purpose (President Orleans being a composite, for example) and made it a broader satire instead, 2) the movie failed in some way, or 3) my relatives are insanely dumb.

ive also heard that conservatives really like the film from what i can tell they identify streep as a liberal and love the way the story bashes the media and also like how the ending posits that a good old fashioned american style dinner with people you love is the best way to ride out the apocalypse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

odd anecdotal here: some of my conservative relatives watched it and enjoyed it. I do not think they are trolling, I think they legit found enough satire about the media and our shallow culture to find it funny. so a few possibilities: 1) the movie intentionally diluted some of the politics on purpose (President Orleans being a composite, for example) and made it a broader satire instead, 2) the movie failed in some way, or 3) my relatives are insanely dumb.

idk it seems like any neurotypical and many neurodivergent humans are able to laugh at themselves or their beliefs if parodied. you have to be extremely insecure or have zero self awareness not to be able to laugh at a good joke even if it’s mocking you or your ideology

which brings me to my issue with your family, the movie isn’t funny so wtf were they laughing at

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I finished off WOT and it's just bad. From what I remember of the books they skipped or just didn't bother including pretty crucial points and rushed through the 1st book.

The 2nd season of the witcher was a more fun watch, although it still feels like there are portions where you had to read the book to understand the context of things going on.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Don't Look Up is like CSPAM: The Movie. The crack-pinging is great.

I'm entertaining possibility #1. though the director himself is speaking openly about the correct reading of it. hmmm...

personally i think there's just a low-grade understanding that we're all doomed and there's no way to change that which has kinda percolated through the collective unconscious and juxtaposing the apocalypse with humor has gone from being a novelty to pretty standard. i hear normie rear end people talking about the end of the world both as a serious thing and also as a joke way more than i used to. i suppose you can only endure so many 82 degree days in december before you have to cope in some way

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

indigi posted:

idk it seems like any neurotypical and many neurodivergent humans are able to laugh at themselves or their beliefs if parodied. you have to be extremely insecure or have zero self awareness not to be able to laugh at a good joke even if it’s mocking you or your ideology

what makes dont look up discourse so funny is that this is exactly how the film critics are coming off just because the reasons they give for why the movie is terrible are so half assed

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Cross over from the [Numbers] thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiHopGox5cU
This is a garbage video that is advertising a resort island / gated community
It takes two minutes to get into the animation section.

But it is a genuine pop culture article because it reference directly or indirectly
Disney films /lands, pulp fiction's 5 dollar milk shake, a godfather pinball machine, and crazy frog.
Edit: Scrooges money pool, the macarena, hollywood walk of fame.

While referencing every single bitcoin culture meme; it's a really good time capsule of that bitcoin culture.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 23:03 on Jan 6, 2022

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Knight posted:

The Hitchhiker's Guide movie is a near blank in my memory. All I remember is a mouse shouting "TAKE HIS BRAIN" which I'm beginning to think was less a scene in the movie than a real event that happened to me after or during the film.

the BBC adaptation from the 70s is loving great and more or less quotes the book verbatim whenever it is possible to do so

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

But it is a genuine pop culture article because it reference directly or indirectly
Disney films /lands, pulp fiction's 5 dollar milk shake, a godfather pinball machine, and crazy frog.

While referencing every single bitcoin culture meme; it's a really good time capsule of that bitcoin culture.

wtf did i just watch

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

double negative posted:

i wouldn't mind harry potter as much if it put people onto reading more in general, but most of the people i know who are really into it, young and old, will straight up not read other poo poo.

i have had a bit of success putting some of my harry potter-loving students onto stuff like hitchhiker's guide, then they ask me if there's a movie adaptation and i tell them no

if you think they'll be able to tolerate the early-80s BBC production values i would recommend showing them the tv series

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

alright this genuinely made me feel like i dropped acid

i couldn't believe it wasn't satire so i looked up a video of one of the guys shilling it and in the first minute he mocks himself for taking out multiple subprime mortgages in 2007, then immediately turns around and buys a plot on this island. this is performance art, one way or another

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

uber_stoat posted:

#OSCARFORKINGO

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Laterite posted:

if you think they'll be able to tolerate the early-80s BBC production values i would recommend showing them the tv series

I have heard children claim they watch youtube because it aspirationally seems like something they could do themselves so i honestly dont know who production values are supposed to impress anymore

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Xaris posted:

wtf did i just watch

a presentation for a pedophile amusement park

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice

Some Guy TT posted:

what makes dont look up discourse so funny is that this is exactly how the film critics are coming off just because the reasons they give for why the movie is terrible are so half assed

here is another reason why it is terrible: the political satire is ham-fisted and very limp dick.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Oyak posted:

here is another reason why it is terrible: the political satire is ham-fisted and very limp dick.

But enough about hitchhiker's guide

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
idiocracy was a documentary

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Knight posted:

The Hitchhiker's Guide movie is a near blank in my memory. All I remember is a mouse shouting "TAKE HIS BRAIN" which I'm beginning to think was less a scene in the movie than a real event that happened to me after or during the film.

I have brought PEANUTS and BEER.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

skooma512 posted:

I have brought PEANUTS and BEER.

look there's plenty of things wrong with that movie but Mos Def's Ford is not one one of them

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Is this hauntology?

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

look there's plenty of things wrong with that movie but Mos Def's Ford is not one one of them

Hence why he's the only one I remember

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Don't Look Up sucks rear end.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

KomradeX posted:

Even as a kid into my teens reading Harry Potter iit bothered me that he ever actually got good at doing magic, who somehow floated by using basic poo poo

I had a Taiwanese friend point out that western super heroes just get powers one day (bruce wayne - rich, spiderman - bit by spider, superman - alien born as a god) and usually win by some dumb technicality (the villian was weak to ice!)

whereas asian super heroes work hard as gently caress to be the best (goku trains in a room where one day is 7 years or w/e, half the drama is this insane training regimine) and struggle to barely win on equal terms

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

it is a really good point that the way the good guys get their power and how they ultimately win is essentially "unfair" to the villain

whereas the reverse is true for Goku

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

AnimeIsTrash posted:

idiocracy was a documentary

Mike judge's live action stuff is super over-rated, happy to hear we're gonna get more Beavis & Butthead tho

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Antonymous posted:

I had a Taiwanese friend point out that western super heroes just get powers one day (bruce wayne - rich, spiderman - bit by spider, superman - alien born as a god) and usually win by some dumb technicality (the villian was weak to ice!)

whereas asian super heroes work hard as gently caress to be the best (goku trains in a room where one day is 7 years or w/e, half the drama is this insane training regimine) and struggle to barely win on equal terms

eh, that's an overgeneralization that doesn't even hold true for the cited examples - Goku generally needs to pump iron to get swole, but he's just as much an alien god blessed with absurd genetic gifts as Superman, and most iterations of Batman have him achieving his status quo through absurd amounts of training/planning/prep work

while the focus on hard work is absolutely a trope that's emphasized more in shonen, I think what you're talking about comes down more to typical story structure - is the fantasy centered on power level progression, or do they take place in an established status quo? if something is too strong for Goku he'll train and achieve the next level of SSJ or learn how do the fusion dance or whatever, while Superman doesn't generally "level up" so if he can't solve a problem with his pre-established gifts he needs to resort to strategy/trickery/etc. (which, given the level of writing involved very frequently does mean "dumb technicality")

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

the asian approach to heroes is better because it got us Amazing Cultivation Simulator

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

LGD posted:

eh, that's an overgeneralization that doesn't even hold true for the cited examples - Goku generally needs to pump iron to get swole, but he's just as much an alien god blessed with absurd genetic gifts as Superman, and most iterations of Batman have him achieving his status quo through absurd amounts of training/planning/prep work

while the focus on hard work is absolutely a trope that's emphasized more in shonen, I think what you're talking about comes down more to typical story structure - is the fantasy centered on power level progression, or do they take place in an established status quo? if something is too strong for Goku he'll train and achieve the next level of SSJ or learn how do the fusion dance or whatever, while Superman doesn't generally "level up" so if he can't solve a problem with his pre-established gifts he needs to resort to strategy/trickery/etc. (which, given the level of writing involved very frequently does mean "dumb technicality")

but batman doesn't work out on screen for 7 episodes in a row maybe at best he researches something anyway the struggle is not to better one's self to overcome a challenge

of course that's also part of the monster of the week vs "to be continued" style serialization

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Caught up on the Electric Dreams series on Prime that adapted (sometimes wildly) Philip K. Dick stories. The series was hit with a bunch of low ratings for valid complaints from people who thought they changed the original stories too much and also the "TOO MUCH SJW PC CORRECTNESS" brigade (including hilarious reviews with bots or frauds say "I'm gay but hate seeing gay people on tv" that is consistent across their rating history). Like all anthologies it's hit or miss, but the last episode "Kill All Others" I found relatable and personally-affecting.

It's a big change from the "Hanged Stranger" in that it adds a bunch of speculative futurism like holographic personal advertising, 3-men factories because unions made it so you can't fire everyone and fully automate them, etc, but also because it takes a very political tone. The protagonist, Philbert, is watching "election" footage where the process seems to be that primaries produce only 1 candidate and Mexica-America-Canada citizens get to choose between voting for them or not voting, and in a brief canned response about better schools, trade, etc they quickly drop "kill all others" as one of things they need to do to better their country. The protagonist is shocked and can't believe they said it, thinks that it's going to be a scandal but no one reacts. The next day he tries to ask his coworkers about it and they either didn't watch or didn't hear it.

Philbert thinks maybe imagined it but soon talking heads begin talking about "killing all others" and who really are the "others" like it's some banal policy. Eventually he sees people chasing and assaulting a woman on the street because they think she's an Other. When he tries to intervene they are genuinely puzzled why and when he talks about it later people don't know why he's concerned and eventually cut him off because they "don't want to talk about politics." One of his coworkers sympathizes but believes politics are bullshit and won't affect them, it's just slogans and rhetoric. Soon a full billboard goes up with the words "KILL ALL OTHERS" and what looks like a man hanging from it. No one minds, "it's a dummy" someone says.

This aired in 2018 and it's pretty on-the-nose, but that feels like the point of it. The transition from dog whistles to ramped up violent rhetoric is just met with people who just internalize it, are completely apathetic about it, or try to ignore it. Philbert wonders if he's going insane because it's so blatant, and I realized how much that feeling resonated with me emotionally.

It's a real body hanging from that sign. Nobody cares.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i think the bigger difference between the american and japanese style superhero archetypes is that in the american versions the idea of with great power comes great responsibility idea makes it so that showing effort is presented as a flaw superheroes are reactive and its almost always the villains who set the plot in motion with evil plans further solidfying the idea that a good hero shouldnt want to be a hero

in the comparative japanese style theres almost always an ongoing conflict innate in the worldbuilding that renders that question irrelevant either youre in the big game or youre not and theres much more of an element of self interest at play like luffy wants to be the pirate king because thats just the thing he wants to do his being a good person on top of that and fighting bad guys is totally incidental to that primary motivation

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

the only difference is how much time is spent on each part of the "I'm a badass" -> "oh no" -> "I'm a badass" arc

/e and how quickly it cycles

stringless has issued a correction as of 06:28 on Jan 7, 2022

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Xaris posted:

wtf did i just watch

double negative posted:

alright this genuinely made me feel like i dropped acid

i couldn't believe it wasn't satire so i looked up a video of one of the guys shilling it and in the first minute he mocks himself for taking out multiple subprime mortgages in 2007, then immediately turns around and buys a plot on this island. this is performance art, one way or another

I think computer animation is getting cheap enough to where that quality of animation is something a person can buy on the cheap.

LGD posted:

Goku generally needs to pump iron to get swole, but he's just as much an alien god blessed with absurd genetic gifts as Superman,

Aren't Krillin, Master Roshi, and Mr Satan's daughter, the most powerful humans beings?

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Aren't Krillin, Master Roshi, and Mr Satan's daughter, the most powerful humans beings?

tienshinhan is the strongest human on earth

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

clearly i'm the most powerful humans beings, as they stop existing when i stop watching

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/dennisbhooper/status/1479297032791543809

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

KomradeX posted:

That's what's funny about all this discourse, like today listening to Traahfuture they mocked the movie for "forgetting" the European Space Agency and Japan. How do people keep missing thr point so hard?

Also this movie seems to annoy the worst liberals so it can't be all bad

check your discord

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Lib and let die posted:

going to go to bash dot org to self soothe

i read my fair share of garbage too, in all fairness

though now that i think of it, living in a lonesome tower surrounded by a death garden so no one can get in sounds like a pro move

you just reminded me that kender exist wtf is wrong with you

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

In American superhero comics, superheroes are either dumbasses who get their superpowers as a lucky break and manage not to gently caress up long enough to become a celebrity, or aristocratic class traitors who become heroes of the people.

Shonen Jump heroes get to their place through hard work, but then you find out their hard work paid off because they were secretly members of the master race all along.

Every other type of male manga hero are just dudes who are so Type A that they warp reality and force it to work on their own terms. Hard work has nothing to do with it.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

(Yes)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

where do magical girls fit it on the spectrum of hard work versus superpower lottery

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Antonymous posted:

but batman doesn't work out on screen for 7 episodes in a row

yeah cause that’s done to pad runtime/pagecount. also it’s boring as poo poo. it’s as much to do with differences in the respective publishing/production industries as some grand narrative difference. I love DBZ but I also fast forward through the the 3 minute scenes in every episode where people stand around screaming to power up and literally nothing else is going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

where do magical girls fit it on the spectrum of hard work versus superpower lottery

being cute is a superpower and that’s genetics