Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
The Apple TV also can calibrate your TV using an Iphone if you are lazy like me and don't want to do it the right way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Lifespan posted:

Yeah, totally, Apple is super above board and has become the world's largest corporation by never selling your information :rolleyes:

They’ve become the worlds largest corporations by selling a $180 streaming tv box without ads instead of a $30 fire stick with them.

Their poo poo is expensive for a reason.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They're still harvesting the poo poo out of your viewing habits. They are just using the data to curate their own streaming service.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

FCKGW posted:

Their poo poo is expensive for a reason.

Selling sweat shop built trash at a non-justifiable premium

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
I’m not sure anyone ITT anyone actually cares, but I’ll post an addendum to my question about the Denon S760H and audio formats. Mine arrived and I started getting it set up last night. I went ahead and tested SACD playback from my blu ray player and… the DSD audio was being converted to PCM for playback through the receiver. Mildly disappointing and also annoying since the DAC is apparently compatible with DSD audio through USB or network playback. My previous Sony receiver could natively play the DSD stream from the blu ray player without conversion.

Yes, SACDs are basically dead, and yes, I probably won’t be able to actually tell a difference. I’d still prefer to listen to something in its native format if possible.

Anyway, that minor complaint aside, my Xbox can now pass 4K/120 Hz signal to my TV through the receiver without any of the annoying audio delays, so that’s pretty fantastic. Now to start fighting the temptation to upgrade my 5.1 system into 5.1.2.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

PCM is a lossless codec. It makes no difference that the Blu-ray player digitally converts DSD to PCM before sending to the Denon because no waveform information is lost. You are getting the exact same sound output as if the DSD bitstream was sent over HDMI and decoded directly on the Denon.

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 7, 2022

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
It’s an extremely minor complaint, my annoyance is mainly that my previous, lower-end Sony AVR could do it and this Denon can’t, despite the DAC in the Denon supporting the DSD format for other transport methods.

You’re right, I won’t be able to hear a difference, and I can still listen to my SACD of The Downward Spiral in 5.1 so all is well. :)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Like most things, it probably comes down to licensing. I'm betting Sony charges a premium to be able to do DSD over HDMI with licensing terms that probably haven't updated since the format is so edge case.

Either that, or it has to do with the DAC arrangement in the reciever itself with a seperate DAC with native support handling stuff like USB and streaming audio where HDMI is handled by a DAC that doesn't do that.

I also wonder if you used a device to spoof what your HDMI port supports, if it wouldn't just handle it anyways if the player thought it could send it.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

codo27 posted:

Selling sweat shop built trash at a non-justifiable premium

No ethical consumption under capitalism

Really disappointed to hear that Apple is the best option because… gently caress all of their practices re: repair and double gently caress their “walled garden” and turbo gently caress their manufacturing

Appreciate the advice though

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

LorneReams posted:

The Apple TV also can calibrate your TV using an Iphone if you are lazy like me and don't want to do it the right way.

Apparently not if your display is DolbyVision in which case it’s just automatic.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

On the plus side, the PCM conversion allows your EQ settings to be applied, which wouldn’t happen with native SACD playback.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

Apparently not if your display is DolbyVision in which case it’s just automatic.

If you put it in SDR mode it will calibrate it. The thinking is Dolby vision should already be a calibrated mode on the tv

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
Ugh should have grabbed the Denon when it was on sale at Costco. Now it’s not even on their website 😭

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Kithyen posted:

Ugh should have grabbed the Denon when it was on sale at Costco. Now it’s not even on their website 😭

Was it ever actually on the website? It wasn't when I picked mine up in store.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Kithyen posted:

Pioneer Elite has stock available on their website.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002

Enos Cabell posted:

Was it ever actually on the website? It wasn't when I picked mine up in store.

It was and it would frequently go out of stock but then be back as quickly. Now it doesn’t show up at all. Store near me (tampa) had it but went pretty quick.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Apparently I ordered mine just in time!

The Costco-only Onkyo also got removed from their site sometime recently. It’s still on Onkyo’s site, but if you click the ‘Costco-Exclusive Item’ link it takes you to a ‘Page not found!’ listing on Costco’s site.

I guess their supply chain is too unstable for online sales of these at the moment.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Anyone know when the C2s are going to be released? I can't stop thinking about getting a 42" OLED to replace my old 2560x1080 ultrawide.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Generally "Marchish" is the release date for the new TVs, however outlier sizes lagged (large and smaller). C1 48" was released in April of 2021 and A1 48" didn't come out til June 2021.

I would expect demand for the 42" to be higher so this is a whole lot of "whodafuqnose" when you'll be able to buy. Not before March but possibly not till summer.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There’s also that period right when the new models ship where stores actually try to charge MSRP for them instead of “street price.”

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Kithyen posted:

I would keep a watch out - I wanted the (Costco-only) Yamaha for somewhat weird reasons (front channel pre-amp outs) and after being out of stock (and not listed on Costco's website) for about three months it showed up briefly after Christmas but was delisted again pretty soon after I ordered.

RoastBeef fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 11, 2022

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

bull3964 posted:

Generally "Marchish" is the release date for the new TVs, however outlier sizes lagged (large and smaller). C1 48" was released in April of 2021 and A1 48" didn't come out til June 2021.

I would expect demand for the 42" to be higher so this is a whole lot of "whodafuqnose" when you'll be able to buy. Not before March but possibly not till summer.

Well it's probably for the best that I can't impulse buy a second OLED like a month after I got my 65" C1.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

prom candy posted:

Well it's probably for the best that I can't impulse buy a second OLED like a month after I got my 65" C1.

The month is young. Give yourself time.

Besides we really want whatever comes after the C2 that is 30% brighter or whatever.

We are all going to have OLED in every room aren’t we? Trickle down from the main room to a bedroom then maybe a sitting area, kids room, shower…

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The 42" size doesn't get the 30% brighter panel.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

What are these Costco receivers people keep posting about and why should I want one?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I turn the brightness waaaay down on my computer monitor to stop getting headaches so I don't think I need 30% brighter

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

What are these Costco receivers people keep posting about and why should I want one?

Costco often has good prices on high end things because they do large deals with manufacturers way in advance. For example, there’s a Yamaha receiver that was sold under a different model number and face plate, but otherwise identical, for $100 less at Costco. Recently, Denon hosed up with their contract with Costco and the Costco model had to be the first one they launched out of their next gen series, so you could get a very fancy receiver for very cheap.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

They are HDMI 2.1 capable receivers with 3 ports all HDMI 2.1 40gbps, etc.

There are other options though. Copy/paste from another thread:

Denon: AVR-S760H or AVR-S660H (These are the Costco models)
Onkyo: NR-6100, NR-7100, TX-RZ50
Pioneer: VSX-LX105, VSX-LX305, VSX-LX505

The above receivers are all verified to work for real with all the HDMI 2.1 features anyone cares about : VRR, ALLM, 4k@120hz, QMS.
The Onkyo and Pioneer are essentially the same internal guts with a different outer shell and branding and plus or minus a niche feature or two between them.

You can buy Pioneer receivers directly from Pioneer and last time I looked they had stock.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Costco sells the Denon S760H and the Onkyo NR6050.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Costco models are cheaper than their general release equivalents and maybe missing one or two minor features and I'm guessing you have to return them to Costco if something goes wrong.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The Costco Denon isnt listed on the website currently. Might be in store only or they've stopped offering them.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
You gotta check in store or even call that store. When I got a Denon in early November the local just had like 10 of them sitting there but zero on the Costco website.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/denon-avr-s760h.3218301/page-79

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

MacheteZombie posted:

The Costco Denon isnt listed on the website currently. Might be in store only or they've stopped offering them.

Actually it’s showing up again (and in stock) today on Costco’s site for me. I’d move fast if you want it.

https://www.costco.com/denon-avr-s760h-7.2ch-8k-av-receiver.product.100774339.html

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 11, 2022

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Oh nice, I got mine in December but happened to see some people mention they couldn't find in anymore in the home audio thread.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
Literally just saw it was back in stock. Put it in the cart then myself and my wife both decided we need to focus on other aspects of the house (more her idea than mine 😂 but she right)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

Costco does a weird thing when products sell out that they take them off the site completely. When stock comes back they get added again.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Just got a new Hi-sense from walmart last week and it just started making this headache inducing low whining noise that increases and decreases with the brightness
Real bummer

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

movax posted:

I only have a Switch and Apple TV hooked up to my CX and have never felt the need to hook up anything else to it.

Side question since we have nearly identical setups:

Does your AppleTV constantly steal the input from the Switch if the AppleTV was last used?

I just want to play Switch and everything turns on okay and even goes to the Switch’s input first before the AppleTV somehow gets powered on too and changes the input.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Ok I'll bite.

How do I get my LG C1 to start printing eclairs? :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Thwomp posted:

Side question since we have nearly identical setups:

Does your AppleTV constantly steal the input from the Switch if the AppleTV was last used?

I just want to play Switch and everything turns on okay and even goes to the Switch’s input first before the AppleTV somehow gets powered on too and changes the input.

My LG C1 tv always turns on to the wrong input with CEC. Like if I was watching Shield and then I turn off the TV, and then turn on the PS5, it'll turn the Shield back on and switch back to that input. It's the only thing I dislike about the TV.