Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Woodchip posted:

That’s somebody else’s problem. F u, pay me.

With interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
if we transition from a system where people are ground in to dust so a select few have outsized wealth that dwarfs everyone else combined to one where there is equality and distribution of the resources that we have enough of to take care of everyone then how will I be one of the select few when if there's nobody being being ground in to dust???

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 7, 2022

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

shame on an IGA posted:

BAKA! ~Inventory is one of the Seven Wastes!!~

I laughed way too hard at this

It doesn't appear that's what happened here but it's still something that has hosed us HARD in this pandemic over and over again (PPE, ventilators, you name it).

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Woodchip posted:

That’s somebody else’s problem. F u, pay me.

It really is their viewpoint. I once saw one of my state Republican senators argue against a bill that would have made companies pay more in taxes if their emissions were above a certain level on the basis of "what if the monitoring equipment was broken?" And not a single Democrat stood up to say "either pay to fix the equipment or pay the taxes".

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bengy81 posted:

Here is where I feel stupid: Aren't there serious long term repercussions to cutting back on education spending, keeping wages low, and keeping health care expensive? Like I get that in the short term it is all about pushing money to the billionaires, but at some point, so many people are homeless, sick, and illiterate that things just stop functioning at all levels. Like at some point you stop being able to train new doctors, teachers, engineers, or whatever because people are too dumb to do the job right?

So then everyone suffers, Including the ultra-wealthy and their offspring.
Is that the ultimate goal? Just a total collapse of the system?
Please explain to me what I'm missing, because that doesn't make sense.

They're not as smart as their wealth suggests

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

shame on an IGA posted:

BAKA! ~Inventory is one of the Seven Wastes!!~

I looked this up to see what it was referencing and why does this poo poo sound like a badlands in a fantasy RPG setting

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ElMaligno posted:

I still have 8 years until i retire, and i am looking at teaching in high school or community college as a post military thing. But man they dont care about education in this loving country

Oh they care. Just not in a good way.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://youtu.be/Xwdkng6ZGp8

Andrew Calligan formerly of all gas no brakes interviewing the q anon shaman in prison.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

Oh they care. Just not in a good way.

Chatter from people claiming to be doctors on reddit and twitter for the last two days is that the CDC now expects the entire country to catch Omicron in the next 2-4 weeks, so they and state governments are rolling back safety measures because they won't matter. It would really not surprised me if the White House's plan was to encourage mass infection in order to achieve herd immunity, while at the same time having all the death happen at once so it's hopefully forgotten about by November.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Chatter from where on reddit?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Scam's over, last one out shut off the lights (and good luck collecting the fine)

https://twitter.com/srl/status/1479263034795347968

Arven posted:

Chatter from people claiming to be doctors on reddit and twitter for the last two days is that the CDC now expects the entire country to catch Omicron in the next 2-4 weeks, so they and state governments are rolling back safety measures because they won't matter. It would really not surprised me if the White House's plan was to encourage mass infection in order to achieve herd immunity, while at the same time having all the death happen at once so it's hopefully forgotten about by November.

Here's solid sourcing for all that, plus denials:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/0...-covid-strategy

https://www.wsj.com/articles/biden-in-shift-prepares-americans-to-see-covid-19-as-part-of-life-11641465004

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/01/04/biden-white-house-omicron-plan-526516

quote:

The White House press secretary, Jen Psaki, told reporters she had not read the articles, and dismissed a question about whether the president “is coming around to accepting” that Covid-19 is here to stay, even though several recent media accounts suggested that the administration was beginning to operate under that assumption. Mr. Biden’s recent emphasis on keeping schools open and businesses running even when cases are soaring also suggests a recalibration, as does a recent decision by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to recommend that people with Covid isolate for five days instead of 10.

The general situation is that Delta is still packing hospitals quite badly where it's still around, with a little bit of Omicron (and way more infections) on top. Omicron really *does* seem to be more fluey than Delta (Omicron doesn't like lungs, for some reason) and there's no really good answer on what to do because Omicron really is that loving mega-infectious. And the data remains extremely clear that vaccinations hold up and the people that need to take precautions are the unvaccinated, who don't want to do them:

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1479273464133570563

The White House absolutely, positively does not want everyone to get COVID right now. They'd prefer everyone get COVID over the next three months in a nice, orderly fashion :v:. Even with Omicron, the hospitals are just too strained with tons of healthcare workers having to take weeks off for infections, much less people still flowing in. There's likely a lot of continuity-of-society/capitalism talks ongoing that all hinge upon how bad the wave is going to get and how much hospital space/personnel are going to be available.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

I looked this up to see what it was referencing and why does this poo poo sound like a badlands in a fantasy RPG setting

Transportation
Inventory
Motion
Waiting
Overproduction
Overprocessing
Defects

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

Scam's over, last one out shut off the lights (and good luck collecting the fine)

https://twitter.com/srl/status/1479263034795347968

Cyber seppuku for shameful cyber ninjas.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Arven posted:

There is no herd immunity for covid. People are catching it multiple times. gently caress everyone trying to push that bullshit.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

bengy81 posted:

Here is where I feel stupid: Aren't there serious long term repercussions to cutting back on education spending, keeping wages low, and keeping health care expensive? Like I get that in the short term it is all about pushing money to the billionaires, but at some point, so many people are homeless, sick, and illiterate that things just stop functioning at all levels. Like at some point you stop being able to train new doctors, teachers, engineers, or whatever because people are too dumb to do the job right?

So then everyone suffers, Including the ultra-wealthy and their offspring.
Is that the ultimate goal? Just a total collapse of the system?
Please explain to me what I'm missing, because that doesn't make sense.

Look at the Russian Revolution, the French Revolution, and dozens more. The elite will hold onto the status quo until their heads are literally being chopped off or they're being shot in a basement.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pine Cone Jones posted:

https://youtu.be/Xwdkng6ZGp8

Andrew Calligan formerly of all gas no brakes interviewing the q anon shaman in prison.

I watched that entire clip.

Game recognizes game, and there’s schizophrenia in that man.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ded posted:

There is no herd immunity for covid. People are catching it multiple times. gently caress everyone trying to push that bullshit.

Yeah, and the more the bullshit gets peddled, the more variants we get. Info's still sketchy enough to not bother posting links (fuckers like Feigl-Ding will gleefully handle the "scaring the gently caress out of your mom" duty), but the variant they found in Marseilles is *reportedly* even more infectious than Omicron.

Also, "Flurona" needs to be outlawed as a term. It makes it sound like a new hybrid disease instead of a simultaneous infection. But since it ~rolls off the tongue~ (because not enough people are masked), it's gonna be parroted by local news stations and morning shows.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Arven posted:

That sounds like the stupidest loving plan possible and I don't think the CDC would ever go for it

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Grip it and rip it posted:

That sounds like the stupidest loving plan possible and I don't think the CDC would ever go for it

lmao

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

davecrazy posted:

Look at the Russian Revolution, the French Revolution, and dozens more. The elite will hold onto the status quo until their heads are literally being chopped off or they're being shot in a basement.

Actually the French Revolution is a sort of counterexample to that, in that the lesson many European heads of state or power players like Metternich took in the years that followed was that Louis XVI had been too willing to give ground - that his meek acceptance of the Constitution of 1789 had emboldened the revolutionaries and lead directly to the takeover of the new government by its most radical elements, which were followed by Louis' own execution as well as the extremely destructive conflicts that would become the Napoleonic wars. Had Louis been more assertive and stood his ground, the reasoning went, it all could have been avoided - and as such, in the decades following Waterloo there was a steadfast refusal to accept the creation of constitutions and legal limits on the powers of monarchs in continental Europe (to the point that Russia didn't implement a constitution until 1906, itself a direct consequence of the Revolution of 1905).

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 7, 2022

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
also don't believe randos on the internet, particularly on Reddit and Twitter.

in terms of things the government is actually doing, here's something they should have done months ago:

https://twitter.com/jacobbogage/status/1479274999005564933?t=NZkDedDBvwArxWADXhUb4A&s=19

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Acebuckeye13 posted:

also don't believe randos on the internet, particularly on Reddit and Twitter.

in terms of things the government is actually doing, here's something they should have done months ago:

https://twitter.com/jacobbogage/status/1479274999005564933?t=NZkDedDBvwArxWADXhUb4A&s=19

Looking forward to chuds recording them burning/shooting/blowing them up because NOT MAH PRESIDUNT. :rolleyes:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the WH doesnt have an actual plan because the only things that'd work would make number go down. seriously, its done. ~832k and counting Americans are dead and the government of the United States of America told us to just deal with it and go back to work because thats what they were elected to do.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the WH doesnt have an actual plan because the only things that'd work would make number go down. seriously, its done. ~832k and counting Americans are dead and the government of the United States of America told us to just deal with it and go back to work because thats what they were elected to do.

Sad to say the Trump admin handled this better in spite of their malice.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. And when you're on trial for a felony, you'll miss all the shots you do take too.

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1479209366985322499?s=20

Judge Howell posted:

This Court will not commemorate the one-year anniversary of this attack on the Capitol by granting defendant's request for non-essential foreign travel when he is awaiting judgment for his actions on that day.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Wasabi the J posted:

Sad to say the Trump admin handled this better in spite of their malice.

Disagree. Wild-type COVID isn't Delta isn't Omicron. They're just not comparable in terms of the problem set. Wild type was easy compared to Delta and Omicron makes Delta look easy to avoid.

In a theoretical second donnie term, state/local mask/vaccine mandates are probably made Florida-style illegal or at least not defended in court. Most of Biden's vaccine mandates keep getting paused by chud district court judges or governor's finding work-arounds. Donnie II likely has a lower vaccinated population (he STILL can't convince chuds to get shots) and it's not at all guaranteed that a Donnie administration would roll out vaccines reasonably smoothly with how much administrative government attrition was going on.

Edit: and testing wouldn't be better either, I'm basically saying that America becomes Florida rather than having some Californias/Vermonts interspersed around:

https://twitter.com/BillyCorben/status/1479158182769483781?t=MKBi1P6rzcd15fqPHlNqxA&s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jan 7, 2022

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Brute Squad posted:

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. And when you're on trial for a felony, you'll miss all the shots you do take too.

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1479209366985322499?s=20

It's funny they let that other one go to Mexico on vacation not long after being charged and arrested

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

That Works posted:

It's funny they let that other one go to Mexico on vacation not long after being charged and arrested

That was the real estate agent, right? The one who chartered a private plane to go to DC on 1/6 anyhow, right?

I liked when a bunch of people got put on the no fly list. That was a fun day.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That was the real estate agent, right? The one who chartered a private plane to go to DC on 1/6 anyhow, right?

I liked when a bunch of people got put on the no fly list. That was a fun day.

Yes

e: iirc its the same one who released a video before starting her 60 day (!) prison sentence talking about how she was going to just diet and workout through it and use it as a way to just lose a bunch of weight and come out ripped etc etc. We sure showed her. Help foment an insurrection, get less than 2 months in prison and still get to go on vacation and spend the holidays with the family.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7038298509883297029

That Works fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jan 7, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Reminder that one of the harshest federal sentences relating to Jan. 6th is because a Florida leftist posted online that people need to be ready to be armed and defend state capitols from similar attacks. He got sentenced to three and a half years, iirc.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Well they already had expensive reservations and do you know how hard those are to get rescheduled these days? Surely someone like a judge must understand how much of a burden that would be.

*locks up a Black person for six months pretrial on suspicion of looking like someone else*

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Mr. Nice! posted:

Reminder that one of the harshest federal sentences relating to Jan. 6th is because a Florida leftist posted online that people need to be ready to be armed and defend state capitols from similar attacks. He got sentenced to three and a half years, iirc.

Did he go dance around the state house with his guns or something? Or was this just too much facebook posting?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

So Kazakhstan is about to REALLY pop off. Telling the "security forces" to shoot anyone they please will certainly not cause any issues.

Does anyone have information on how the populace is armed? There was the video of the pitched battle yesterday I believe. Does the average Kazakh own an AK? How bad of a civil war is this going to make?

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/07/asia/kazakhstan-kassym-jomart-tokayev-address-intl/index.html

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Russians are already there. Wonder if Borat is out filming.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

Garland's speech covered a bit of this criticism (I'm 50/50 on if I buy it or not). It kind of fits what I've been seeing lately - the misdemeanors are pleading out pretty quickly (and generating the slap-on-the-wrist headlines) while only a few of the 3-4 year felonies have been pleaded out and most of the violent types are in pretrial detention still:

https://www.justice.gov/opa/speech/attorney-general-merrick-b-garland-delivers-remarks-first-anniversary-attack-capitol

quote:

In the first months of the investigation, approximately 145 defendants pled guilty to misdemeanors, mostly defendants who did not cause injury or damage. Such pleas reflect the facts of those cases and the defendants’ acceptance of responsibility. And they help conserve both judicial and prosecutorial resources, so that attention can properly focus on the more serious perpetrators.

In complex cases, initial charges are often less severe than later charged offenses. This is purposeful, as investigators methodically collect and sift through more evidence.

By now, though, we have charged over 325 defendants with felonies, many for assaulting officers and many for corruptly obstructing or attempting to obstruct an official proceeding. Twenty defendants charged with felonies have already pled guilty.

Approximately 40 defendants have been charged with conspiracy to obstruct a congressional proceeding and/or to obstruct law enforcement. In the months ahead, 17 defendants are already scheduled to go to trial for their role in felony conspiracies.

A necessary consequence of the prosecutorial approach of charging less serious offenses first is that courts impose shorter sentences before they impose longer ones.

In recent weeks, however, as judges have sentenced the first defendants convicted of assaults and related violent conduct against officers, we have seen significant sentences that reflect the seriousness of those offenses — both in terms of the injuries they caused and the serious risk they posed to our democratic institutions.

The actions we have taken thus far will not be our last.

The Justice Department remains committed to holding all January 6th perpetrators, at any level, accountable under law — whether they were present that day or were otherwise criminally responsible for the assault on our democracy. We will follow the facts wherever they lead.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Sentencing for Ahmaud Arbery's murderers today.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Did he go dance around the state house with his guns or something? Or was this just too much facebook posting?

It was entirely just facebook posts. Dude had no criminal history or other record.

https://theintercept.com/2021/10/16/daniel-baker-anarchist-capitol-riot/

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

facialimpediment posted:

Garland's speech covered a bit of this criticism (I'm 50/50 on if I buy it or not). It kind of fits what I've been seeing lately - the misdemeanors are pleading out pretty quickly (and generating the slap-on-the-wrist headlines) while only a few of the 3-4 year felonies have been pleaded out and most of the violent types are in pretrial detention still:

https://www.justice.gov/opa/speech/attorney-general-merrick-b-garland-delivers-remarks-first-anniversary-attack-capitol

For comparison, the guy that drove with a bunch of guns and posted threats that he was coming to DC to kill Pelosi and others on Jan. 6th last year but his car broke down was sentenced lighter and treated better than Daniel Baker.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

I'm not going to rant about how he's a failure, but I'm also not buying it until I see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Mr. Nice! posted:

It was entirely just facebook posts. Dude had no criminal history or other record.

https://theintercept.com/2021/10/16/daniel-baker-anarchist-capitol-riot/

loving christ. How are there not attorneys throwing themselves at him pro bono for an appeal?

Stay the gently caress away from facebook. poo poo is cursed.

(I got about halfway through the article before I closed it out of anger and reached for the dab rig)