Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Gentlemen you could all begin wearing capes tomorrow if you so desired, though you would instantly and forever become "the cape guy"

probably true, its been 16 years and i still remember my cape guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bewbies posted:

probably true, its been 16 years and i still remember my cape guy

We had a cape girl in college. Meg. 20 years ago. I can't remember the names of 95% of my profs, but I remember her quite well.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I remember a few "cloak dudes" I'd see in restaurants near universities in my city. I guess Lord of the Rings got them.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I've gone out in my plasch-palatka in the rain, I wonder if that falls under "cape guy".

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

zoux posted:

We had a cape girl in college. Meg. 20 years ago. I can't remember the names of 95% of my profs, but I remember her quite well.

Heh my college also had a cape girl, 20 years ago.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

At my bachelors graduation the vice chancellor arrived at the ceremony with a super long cape which was supported by small children. It was really weird.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
pfft, you had a cape person

we had multiple people with cloaks, full on hoods and poo poo.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Our cloak guy also didn't wear shoes.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Is that Larry David and George's dad?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is that Larry David and George's dad?

Yes, it’s from an episode of Seinfeld.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

I am also deeply jealous of Finland's swords and hats that they get for their PhD. They get a loving sword! The floppy ren fair hat is great, but sword!
They don't get a sword, they get to right to wear one in public if they feel like it. The top hat and the sword add up to about 1k €.

It's not even a fancy sword, it's just a spadroon with your university's emblem on the hilt.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Siivola posted:

They don't get a sword, they get to right to wear one in public if they feel like it. The top hat and the sword add up to about 1k €.

It's not even a fancy sword, it's just a spadroon with your university's emblem on the hilt.

Yeah, you have to buy your own academic regalia in the US too.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You can just buy a sword. Nobody can stop you from wearing it, and if they do you've got a sword and they haven't.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Siivola posted:

So you’re actually just annoyed at the cost and cause you don’t like the sword.

If it was a government subsidized longsword you’d be down to clown.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
yeah but "i earned this sword through my dissertation" is way cooler than "im a weeb"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You can also lie about sword reasons. And cape reasons, for that matter. "No, it's a medical cape"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Siivola posted:

If you want to carry a Final Fantasy sword around then you should join USAF.

Frankly a battle axe would be a better fit for Finnish culture, and would also have practical uses :black101:

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Mustang posted:

1800's cav troopers wore both light and dark colored hats, some modern cav squadrons actually wear brown hats instead of black because of this. The 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment at Fort Irwin wears a brown hat because the unit was stood up when the campaign hat was in use, long after US cavalry stopped wearing black hats.

The thing is though, all the Cav quit wearing "Cav" hats when the Army stopped issuing campaign hats.

The modern tradition dates back to Air Cav in Vietnam deciding to wear Cav hats as an Esprit de Corps thing modeled after the Cav in westerns at the time as opposed to doing any research on what was actually worn back in the day.

Basically they wanted to look like John Wayne.

https://1cda.org/history/cav-hat-spurs/

1CDA.org posted:

The tradition of the “Cav Hat” began in the early days before the Vietnam War. The 11th Air Assault Division cavalry scout pilots were looking to distinguish themselves from other troops when they adopted the Model 1876 campaign hat for wear. They felt a need to return to the traditions of the Cavalry so long forgotten. LTC John B. Stockton, commander of the 3rd Battalion, 17th Cavalry Regiment, is given credit for establishing the tradition of wearing the Cavalry Stetson, much to the chagrin of the Division command group. By the time the 11th Air Assault Division was redesignated the 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile) the members of his unit, the 1st Squadron, 9th Cavalry Regiment, were wearing

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Which is fine. My story is I was nearly Cav till my dad convinced me to enlist in Aviation instead. It was a better choice as the Bradley guys in the Cav troop I was going to join all got sent to Baghdad in Humvees.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

So you’re actually just annoyed at the cost and cause you don’t like the sword.

If it was a government subsidized longsword you’d be down to clown.
…yeah, you got me there.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Bring back civil war era guttapercha ponchos.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

PeterCat posted:

The thing is though, all the Cav quit wearing "Cav" hats when the Army stopped issuing campaign hats.

I don't disagree, my only point was that for most cavalry squadrons the black one was something they actually wore at some point in their history.

My old squadron is part of the 1st Cavalry Regiment, "First Regiment of Dragoons", so we could go with something like this:

If we really wanted to take things back to our historical roots.

The black cav hat with crossed sabers is pretty iconic of a huge chunk of the 1800's cavalry though, even if they did end the period wearing the campaign hat.

1st Cavalry trooper in 1866:

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
Do helicopter door gunners get seatbelts? Do they actually use them?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Big Dick Cheney posted:

Do helicopter door gunners get seatbelts? Do they actually use them?

Nowadays, yes. In Vietnam, maybe?

Current aircrew members wear body armor underneath their survival vest, that's also set up to allow them to be extracted via a hoist and has a "monkey tail" or strap on the back that d-rings to the floor to allow them to move around while still being tethered.

The door gunner seats on a Black Hawk have a 5 point harness that has retractors so you can be strapped in and still lean out the window to shoot.

AFAIK the 160th doesn't use door gunners in their MH-6s but you can in a pinch.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I had a friend who was LRS in Iraq and he asked our church to pitch in and buy him a special lanyard to keep him from falling out of the helicopter when he was in the door. I don't know what sort of helicopters he was flying in, but apparently it didn't have a belt for him.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Scratch Monkey posted:

I had a friend who was LRS in Iraq and he asked our church to pitch in and buy him a special lanyard to keep him from falling out of the helicopter when he was in the door. I don't know what sort of helicopters he was flying in, but apparently it didn't have a belt for him.

I'm sure was in the supply system, but a lot of time it's easier/quicker to just buy your own.

I had to do this for pouches for crewchief/medic's MBITRs (wireless ICS). I got a pack of 10 for $100 off E-bay and it was there in a week, rather than try to hassle with going through supply.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Also, I want to watch this movie:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Scratch Monkey posted:

Should have had more faith and just asked them to pray that he doesn't fall :angel:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

PeterCat posted:

I'm sure was in the supply system, but a lot of time it's easier/quicker to just buy your own.

I had to do this for pouches for crewchief/medic's MBITRs (wireless ICS). I got a pack of 10 for $100 off E-bay and it was there in a week, rather than try to hassle with going through supply.

This is all stuff that a good S4(logistics) shop should be able to help their subordinate units acquire through either the Army supply system or using unit funds. Buying stuff with unit funds is not difficult, especially poo poo like pouches and harnesses.

Logistics is hard for a lot of people though, a big part of being a good logistician isn't something you can just read in a manual. One of the things I enjoyed about being an S4 was that it allowed a degree of creativity that many other roles in the military lack.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Nenonen posted:

Should have had more faith and just asked them to pray that he doesn't fall :angel:

Deuteronomy 6:16, Luke 4:12.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Mustang posted:

This is all stuff that a good S4(logistics) shop

Let me stop you right there.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Nenonen posted:

If you want to carry a Final Fantasy sword around then you should join USAF.

Frankly a battle axe would be a better fit for Finnish culture, and would also have practical uses :black101:

Axes are for peasants though, swords are for gentlemen, and having a PHD makes you the latter.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

PeterCat posted:

Let me stop you right there.

Yeah. I was amazed working at a civilian job that you can just.... buy stuff.

The printer broke? Just get a new one! :monocle:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

White Coke posted:

Deuteronomy 6:16, Luke 4:12.

Or as the Hadiths say: Trust in Allah, but tie your camel.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
I honestly understand why people want to join the army in olden times when you look at their snazzy uniforms,imagine being able to look sharp af while slowly making GBS threads yourself to death in a siege camp

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

SerCypher posted:

Yeah. I was amazed working at a civilian job that you can just.... buy stuff.

The printer broke? Just get a new one! :monocle:

You can do this exact thing in the military, the problem is commanders don't pay much attention to logistics and end up not having anyone trained and certified to buy stuff with the governments money.

I bought tons of poo poo, including dozens of printers and who knows how much ink. There are some exceptions like certain items that are covered by a contract.

The US military has extensive logistics capabilities but there's no field manual that will explain each and every resource at your disposal and when is the right time to use each. Requires doing some homework but as you guys suggest, this often doesn't happen at the battalion level.

Generally it was only commanders with prior experience as a battalion logistics officer(a position, not logistics branch) or some similar logistics experience that would leverage resources like this.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

ChubbyChecker posted:

Or as the Hadiths say: Trust in Allah, but tie your camel.

So does your door gunner have one hump or two?

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Two. He fell out once, but bounced.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

White Coke posted:

So does your door gunner have one hump or two?

camels have two, dromedaries don't need to be tied

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Mustang posted:

You can do this exact thing in the military, the problem is commanders don't pay much attention to logistics and end up not having anyone trained and certified to buy stuff with the governments money.

I bought tons of poo poo, including dozens of printers and who knows how much ink. There are some exceptions like certain items that are covered by a contract.

The US military has extensive logistics capabilities but there's no field manual that will explain each and every resource at your disposal and when is the right time to use each. Requires doing some homework but as you guys suggest, this often doesn't happen at the battalion level.

Generally it was only commanders with prior experience as a battalion logistics officer(a position, not logistics branch) or some similar logistics experience that would leverage resources like this.

I mean I believe you!

In the end though if it's possible but few people know how to do it, that's kind of a problem.

Not MY problem anymore though :D