Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

It's so... punitive in its simplicity. Find your spot, plant, and wait. But the waiting is excruciating for some reason and I couldn't even begin to put my finger on why.

Our caller spends that whole section going "Hold... Hold... Hold..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

ImpAtom posted:

Random thought but:

What weapon has the best unsheathing animation in the game? My favorite is probably the Zantetsuken variations or Seiryu Dark Knight weapon but I'm sure there are others I'm missing.

The old Ironworks magitek weapons have a lot of really cool animations. I love the katana with the blade that spins around and folds out.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Love this little guy's cute suit.

A burning question that's been on my mind for over half a decade: what does the duty finder icon represent? In my mind it looks like either the head of a wrench or a welder's mask, neither of which make any sense.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ticket stub, like you're taking a ticket in line.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ojetor posted:

Love this little guy's cute suit.

A burning question that's been on my mind for over half a decade: what does the duty finder icon represent? In my mind it looks like either the head of a wrench or a welder's mask, neither of which make any sense.

I always thought it was a bookmark. It doesn't really make sense, but it's what it looks like to me. Like you're... marking what duty you want to do? Marking a place... in line?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Leraika posted:

that's all well and good until they wipe in a group that will go absolutely unhinged if they wipe, because not everyone is gracious about it.

My personal rule is to ask if people want mechanics explanations and abide by that, though.

In my long experience with this game, the number of people who will actually lose their poo poo from a wipe are so few as to be irrelevant. I'd have to think really hard just to remember any such events.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

also lmao who gave waffleman the riker av :sickos:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't feel like myself.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Waffleman_ posted:

Ticket stub, like you're taking a ticket in line.

Oh poo poo. I see it now, the dark parts form an old-timey ticket stub.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Leraika posted:

that's all well and good until they wipe in a group that will go absolutely unhinged if they wipe, because not everyone is gracious about it.

My personal rule is to ask if people want mechanics explanations and abide by that, though.

If they ask for an explanation I don't mind giving one, but it's up to them to ask, imo.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Fister Roboto posted:

In my long experience with this game, the number of people who will actually lose their poo poo from a wipe are so few as to be irrelevant. I'd have to think really hard just to remember any such events.

I've seen plenty. On the upside, without fail, votekicking the rager and replacing them always leads to success on the next pull.

Edit: Though, for the record, I almost never explain mechanics. The only exceptions to this are the small handful of things where if they aren't done right, we all die. Or if someone asks obviously.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Grayshift posted:

I keep wanting a use case for the new Basic-Standard-Advanced combo, but every time I find a way to optimize out of it.

i found this one that looks like it works with my stats and uses the combo (3359 craft, 3270 cont, 571 cp). HQ chili crab and shb cp syrup, no HQ intermediates, 100% success

https://ffxivteamcraft.com/simulator/35023/34803/kzSjJNACL1VnA8IK8J5E

when i first saw it i thought it looked cursed as all hell

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The basic-standard-advanced combo is good. Taken as a whole, it gives more quality per durability and quality per CP than any other option. The only downside is that it takes 3 steps, which makes buffs less efficient and it's not very macro friendly. But it's very good for when you want to do 2* recipes with minimal stats.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

OddObserver posted:

TBH, half the time I probably need to wipe to the mechanic first (or get hit for 80% of HP) before I actually get it. Reading about it often doesn't help.
<=== not very good at this game.

I’m the same way. I can watch videos or read about things beforehand and do okay but I always feel like I get a better idea actually doing it and maybe screwing up a couple of times. It gives me that “oh I get it” click. If it gets me more than once or twice and I can’t figure it out I will ask and most people are pretty good about it.

ImpAtom posted:

Random thought but:

What weapon has the best unsheathing animation in the game? My favorite is probably the Zantetsuken variations or Seiryu Dark Knight weapon but I'm sure there are others I'm missing.

I really like the Scaevan greatsword for this. I believe those models are repeated as crafted items in the 80-90 levels somewhere too. I like how it spins and pops into place. Different kind of aesthetic for DRK.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jan 7, 2022

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Awesome! posted:

i found this one that looks like it works with my stats and uses the combo (3359 craft, 3270 cont, 571 cp). HQ chili crab and shb cp syrup, no HQ intermediates, 100% success

https://ffxivteamcraft.com/simulator/35023/34803/kzSjJNACL1VnA8IK8J5E

when i first saw it i thought it looked cursed as all hell

God this is frustrating because I'm literally one control away from dropping the syrup and the last trained finesse and still having 100% hq. Literally one.

I guess I can toss up the FC action whenever I'm crafting 90**, or just HQ the alkahests

Edit: Looks like each piece of gear has a non-legendary mat I can HQ to avoid this as well.

derra fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 7, 2022

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

fourfold shackles too boring for you? why not spice things up!

https://clips.twitch.tv/AnimatedBetterNigiriBabyRage-ez3fhYtt5FTXwVLJ

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Kerrzhe posted:

this, to me, is art

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

8 years ago and now. The more things change...

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

the best weapon unsheathe is seiryu's spine, thank you for listening

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

This morning's Heavensward gives you two short stories for the price of one! Enjoy!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
It finally happened. Last night I quit a duty run before it finished in two years of playing this game.

It was the final MSQ dungeon and we wiped seven times on the first boss because the tank and one DPS couldn't grasp the mechanics. OK, fine, it happens, it's why it's the final MSQ dungeon. No one pointed fingers, no one called anyone else, we just explained and went again until we got it.

But when we wiped twice on the trash leading to the second boss, I was like "screw this" and left without saying anything. Felt like a major rear end in a top hat, and when I woke up this morning I still felt like kind of an rear end in a top hat.

I blame this game for fostering a real sense of community.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
For any group that's worried about the bug where mitigating all of the damage from one of P2S's mechanics would cause that mechanic to fail, it's been quietly fixed and finished being applied to all instance servers a couple hours ago. They were able to do it without maintenance, thankfully.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

On a fun note: if your arrow buddy in P2S happens to go linkdead at just the right moment, you end up moving to the spot where you *would have* ended up normally and then fall over dead because your buddy isn't actually there.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

It bugs the hell out of me we don't have a Malicious Mogscythe.

Malicious Mog Nouliths or I riot.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Kerrzhe posted:

I feel genuine physical pain watching this and I don't even play melee :stonk:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

It bugs the hell out of me we don't have a Malicious Mogscythe.

also need Senor Sabotender's weapons for the new jobs

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

No context, if you know you know.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CobiWann posted:

It finally happened. Last night I quit a duty run before it finished in two years of playing this game.

It was the final MSQ dungeon and we wiped seven times on the first boss because the tank and one DPS couldn't grasp the mechanics. OK, fine, it happens, it's why it's the final MSQ dungeon. No one pointed fingers, no one called anyone else, we just explained and went again until we got it.

But when we wiped twice on the trash leading to the second boss, I was like "screw this" and left without saying anything. Felt like a major rear end in a top hat, and when I woke up this morning I still felt like kind of an rear end in a top hat.

It's OK to leave a duty if things are going poorly. You don't have to feel badly about it, because you're not really inconveniencing them that much. Either they replace you quickly, or you give everyone else the opportunity to ditch without eating the penalty.

And it's certainly a healthier thing to do for yourself and others instead of sticking around and getting increasingly frustrated. You are never obligated to finish a duty.

In other words,

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

CobiWann posted:

:stare: Good lord, I would be going insane. I don't think I've had more than one wipe per run on any of those bosses. Did wipe to trash once with a really bad healer who quit out of shame and got replaced right before the final boss which was a little lol.

e: Also got the orchestrion roll for that dungeon on a run last week, it's great. :toot:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I would've bailed on wipe 3 tbh

spend the lockout chasing timed nodes

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The first boss I've seen plenty of wipes if people can't grasp the wind and the healer also just won't press esuna.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Regy Rusty posted:

The first boss I've seen plenty of wipes if people can't grasp the wind and the healer also just won't press esuna.

Healers not pressing esuna does seem like an alarmingly common problem tbh.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

ImpAtom posted:

Random thought but:

I'm quite fond of the Scaevan gunblade model, the unsheathe has the blade flip out with a very satisfying timing and sound. If you do so when sprinting, it starts to flip out when you bring it to your shoulder and locks into place at the same time that you transition to the "dragging the tip along the ground" pose.

Admittedly it's thus a giant folding pocket knife but eh

Duty abandon chat: the other day I had to join my FC to retry a run of the first EW MSQ dungeon, because they wiped 7 times to the final boss on account of the rando healer dying to the same mechanic midway through each time.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

CobiWann posted:

in reality you should feel like saint for staying for SEVEN (7) wipes on the first boss. that is above and beyond the call of duty.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if players in general underuse role actions.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

They really could do a better job teaching players to look at the status list and especially that white line = dispellable

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Professor Beetus posted:

Well, this is possibly the first dungeon over 50 where it's useful.
(There is one earlier dungeon where there is an esunable sand-themed DoT by some worm that's pretty punishing that almost everyone tries to heal through rather than just removing it).

It feels like statuses are mostly either unremovable or ignorable except for the occasional paralyze and a few dungeon-specific mechanics.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

No Dignity posted:

They really could do a better job teaching players to look at the status list and especially that white line = dispellable

It doesn't help that there aren't a lot of "if you fail to dispel this they loving die" debuffs. Most healers can just brute force through poisons, electrocutions, etc. but that debuff is just "hey bitch, dispel or die".

When I first ran it everyone was still blind so I didn't even realize until the rest of my party dropped dead at the same time, I looked at the combat log, and went "...oh." :v:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

There are many times as DPS when I've had an esuna-ble dot for a full 15 seconds as it slowly killed me. It definitely feels like healers deliberately ignore it, and I get it that it's usually my fault for not standing on the right pixel in a mechanic I last saw two months ago but who are you to judge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't main a healer job but I will definitely admit that when I heal, I forget about Esuna too often. I think a big part of it is that it just doesn't come up often enough in newer dungeons for it to lodge in my brain as one of my Main Buttons, or debuffs/cleansable DoTs being something I need to actively look out for. It probably would if I mained a healer, though. I've been deliberately trying to be more on the ball with it leveling healers in Endwalker though.