Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
There are numerous ways this situation could have been avoided, naturally we did none of them, and also bungled the last ditch emergency option as well. If this hadn't been happening for the last two years, I'm sure I would be surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

infernal machines posted:

There are numerous ways this situation could have been avoided, naturally we did none of them, and also bungled the last ditch emergency option as well. If this hadn't been happening for the last two years, I'm sure I would be surprised.

Are you talking about schools, RATs, PCR testing, healthcare in general, vaccination mandates, or.... oh I've made myself sad.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Trapick posted:

Could just use Canada Post and mail a few to every household.

again, they launched this program with less than a week until Christmas. Their planning probably consisted of ford saying "oh poo poo" and getting someone to load a pallet on a LCBO truck heading out. (also rapid tests apparently can't be below 0 degrees for very long)

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 10, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PT6A posted:

Are you talking about schools, RATs, PCR testing, healthcare in general, vaccination mandates, or.... oh I've made myself sad.

Interestingly, this is an election year in Ontario, so I'm sure the election will be a referendum on Ford's performance during the COVID crises.

I expect a Conservative minority propped up the the OLP, having regained official party status.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 10, 2022

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

enki42 posted:

again, they launched this program with less than a week until Christmas. Their planning probably consisted of ford saying "oh poo poo" and getting someone to load a pallet on a LCBO truck heading out. (also rapid tests apparently can't be below 0 degrees for very long)

They were distributing them long before then, at MPP offices. They had all the goddamn time in the world to plan for this.

edit: My MPP was giving them out with branded swag bags, consisting of chip clips, pens, and a bunch of other poo poo from china with his name on it.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

RBC posted:

They were distributing them long before then, at MPP offices. They had all the goddamn time in the world to plan for this.

I'm sure the MPPs, people known for their stalwart disconnection from financial backers, had been distributing these tests fairly and equitably to the public at-large

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I feel like all the conservative parties have done a fairly poo poo job at managing the pandemic, politically speaking. They've pissed off the crazy part of their base that thinks they're doing too much, while at the same time pissing off everyone who correctly believes they've done too little.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

flakeloaf posted:

I'm sure the MPPs, people known for their stalwart disconnection from financial backers, had been distributing these tests fairly and equitably to the public at-large

It was literally only for business owners.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PT6A posted:

I feel like all the conservative parties have done a fairly poo poo job at managing the pandemic, politically speaking. They've pissed off the crazy part of their base that thinks they're doing too much, while at the same time pissing off everyone who correctly believes they've done too little.

Ford has pissed off every voting bloc in the province, in multiple ways.

I still don't see the PCPO wandering the wilderness for another 20 years like they did after Harris because of it. Like, we'll be screaming about Rae Days long after everyone's forgotten how badly he's hosed us the last two years.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 7, 2022

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
I didn't know there was a difference :confused:. He got called to the bar and does legal stuff, so he's a lawyer right?

I also have to assume somebody knows he's been doing this side hustle, because he's been doing that youtube channel for almost 2 years now and it's not like he's hiding his identity the channel name even has Runkle in it.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Chillyrabbit posted:

I didn't know there was a difference :confused:. He got called to the bar and does legal stuff, so he's a lawyer right?

Inasmuch as the guy on TV telling people to rub mangosteens on their soul crystals is a thoracic surgeon, sure. Ian Runkle is a member in apparently good standing of the Law Society of Alberta.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

I only know a Google result of info on this, is a duty counsel like a junior public defender who only helps people on their first appearance or something? Is it like lawyer's first job, or a sign or a bad lawyer, etc.?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ZeeBoi posted:

Obviously that’s all Trudeau’s fault

Speaking of which:

https://twitter.com/nationalpost/status/1478886622640939012

(don't click on the link. just don't.)

On a side note, the National Post's twitter feed is so sad and low energy. Not even double digit reactions to most of their posts. Do they need another round of subsidies?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I didn't read it, i just skipped straight to the comments section and holy poo poo :stare:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eXXon posted:

On a side note, the National Post's twitter feed is so sad and low energy. Not even double digit reactions to most of their posts. Do they need another round of subsidies?

Something seems to be thinning out their readership. Weird that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Blind hatred of anti-vaxxers? Stop, Rex, I already like him, you can stop selling me on him!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

enki42 posted:

Nova Scotia did the liquor store thing I think, but way earlier and predictably didn't have the Hunger games when there's 2 hours of supply distributed to a store and nothing else available.

Never liquor stores out here afaik, but they've been distributing take home tests at pop-up clinics for like a year until supplies ran low a few weeks ago. They started distributing via libraries at the onset of omicron and ran out in a day. And there's people set up at the airport who'll toss you a couple tests in a baggie as you leave the baggage claim.

Apparently the province was expecting some shipment of antigen tests by the end of December and it hasn't arrived yet. This is separate from whatever the feds are sending. And there is something to be said for normalizing testing and making it consistently and freely available.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

eXXon posted:

The only Postmedia feed anyone ever put any work into was the Edmonton Journal's, but this was a few years ago and maybe it died.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

pokeyman posted:

The only Postmedia feed anyone ever put any work into was the Edmonton Journal's, but this was a few years ago and maybe it died.

No one who uses twitter reads the national post without ad blockers.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

PT6A posted:

The one thing that gives me some hope here is that Kenney is likely getting turfed in a couple months. Of course we'll get Premier Brian Jean or some poo poo but it'll be a nice bit of schadenfreude to see JK's higher office aspirations crumble.

As it happens, I just picked up a bottle of Jameson (stout barrel edition) today, so I can toast it when it happens

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Got my booster yesterday and the person there said since I am 38 I should instead get Moderna so I was like alright. "Save the Pfizer for the younger people". I had no idea we were getting short of it? But he mentioned I might get side affects but thankfully nothing - no fever, no chills, nada - just the sore arm from getting stabbed.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Yeah apparently we're so low on Pfizer that 18+ is all moderna now in some places.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
That’s weird because I’m a few years older than you and when I scheduled my booster it recommended that I receive a shot of whatever I had for dose 2, which was moderna, but they gave me Pfizer instead.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Vintersorg posted:

Got my booster yesterday and the person there said since I am 38 I should instead get Moderna so I was like alright. "Save the Pfizer for the younger people". I had no idea we were getting short of it? But he mentioned I might get side affects but thankfully nothing - no fever, no chills, nada - just the sore arm from getting stabbed.
I have seen it around* that Pfizer is to be saved for up to age 29, and all 30+ get Moderna. Supposedly some risk(s) of Moderna are less prevalent in 30+. But it's almost certainly smoke-and-mirrors about supply.

* the Maritime provinces at least

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
I was warned on my third shot that getting Pfizer at my age(30-odd) had some extraordinarily low risk attached of heart-stuff.

Unfortunately turned out I already had COVID when I got the shot so the sheer misery of all the combined symptoms meant screening for heart failure was a no-go.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I got three Pfizer, they didn't really ask what I wanted when I got my booster but they did ask what I had received previously.

I wouldn't have minded Moderna for the booster, I think there was some rumor that having a mix was better? But that's probably just nonsense.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

When I went and got my booster they asked if I was over 30 because they were giving Moderna to us old people and Pfizer to those drat kids who need to get off my lawn. Ultimately I don't give a poo poo, just give the 5G juice.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Yeah I'd take a shot of Soberana-2 and Soberana-Plus if offered. Cuban cigars, coffee and rum are all superb, why not vaccine?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Triple dosed Moderna here gimme that good Joose

Also lmao at Lecce's last performance being green-screened (apparentlys) so he's either on vacation or self isolating.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

Triple dosed Moderna here gimme that good Joose

Also lmao at Lecce's last performance being green-screened (apparentlys) so he's either on vacation or self isolating.

Twist ending: he was on the Sunwing influenzer flight :v:

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I took my grandma to get her booster in BC the other day and she was 2x Pfizer. They gave us the choice, but recommended Moderna for the booster. The implication was broader coverage, not health effects, but maybe I misunderstood the implication. Another interesting thing was that we were in a special line because of her age (86) for a full dose. The doses that younger people were getting were half doses.

Mad Hamish posted:

When I went and got my booster they asked if I was over 30 because they were giving Moderna to us old people and Pfizer to those drat kids who need to get off my lawn. Ultimately I don't give a poo poo, just give the 5G juice.

I think there is reasonable data that mycocarditis is much more common, relatively, in moderna than in pfizer. Specifically in younger men after the second dose.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Heard lots of Alberta anecdotes of people being told to get a third dose of whatever they got as a second dose. Out east it's all "get whatever you can". In theory this could be consistent with good and useful recommendations, but the lack of explanation gives me doubt.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

quote:

The association representing Ontario pharmacists says roughly half of all people who are offered the Moderna vaccine are refusing it.

"They may cancel their appointment. They may walk out," said Justin Bates, CEO of the Ontario Pharmacists Association.

"That's creating a significant challenge," said Bates, as pharmacists also have to deal with combative patients who want to shop around for vaccines.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/covid-19-moderna-vaccine-pfizer-booster-1.6306892

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
My parents got AZ for their first two, so there choice for the next one is "dun care, just give me some mRNA fuckin now"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
My wife is 2x pfizer and was recommended the Moderna for the booster saying it will give her more protection. It also knocked her on her arse for 3 days which the pfizer didn't. I am also 2x pfizer and am waiting for my notification that I can book for a booster. I figure to take whatever they have.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

pokeyman posted:

Heard lots of Alberta anecdotes of people being told to get a third dose of whatever they got as a second dose. Out east it's all "get whatever you can". In theory this could be consistent with good and useful recommendations, but the lack of explanation gives me doubt.

Anecdotal evidence from an ID colleague of mine is that Moderna has somewhat better effect than Pfizer against Omicron. I'm moderately jealous of my wife, because she's P-M-M compared to my triple-Pfi. However, the effect from a booster shot in terms of antibodies far outweighs any variation in effectiveness between shots so yeah, "get whatever you can" is an appropriate public health message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

The lowest hanging fruit of "stuff we can mail to everyone that would probably help" would be N95 masks. It would have been smart to do this in the lull before omicron but it's not too late.