Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Khanstant posted:

storage wars projects a psychic prison projected from tvs that i cannot escape from. if you ever want to murder me and get away with it, lure me into a room with episodes on loop with no commercial breaks and ill eventually starve to death without noticing besides how horseshit it is he's trying to say they'll sell that piece of poo poo in their thrift store for 50 bucks gimme a break

Like the episode where the one guy claimed that the boxes of books he found were worth a fortune going off of the retail price listed on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Today's RIP to a real one: Sidney Poitier

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Like the episode where the one guy claimed that the boxes of books he found were worth a fortune going off of the retail price listed on them.

that's really humble of him to just go with sticker price, I hope at least he and his squabbled pettily over it along the way.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

zoux posted:

Today's RIP to a real one: Sidney Poitier

If I hadn't recently rewatched Sneakers I'd do so today.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

That's the guy who's trying to brand himself as the cool bad guy and make "Yuuup" happen.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Storage Wars owned, that and Chopped were the only reality shows I pirated back in college

E: holy poo poo there are a lot of seasons and spinoffs of this poo poo :eyepop: I kept up with Chopped but forgot Storage Wars existed for some reason

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 7, 2022

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Alhazred posted:

That's the guy who's trying to brand himself as the cool bad guy and make "Yuuup" happen.

Didn’t he complain that he lost business because people saw him as a bad guy?

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Khanstant posted:

be the american picking you want to pick in the world and post the thread

what'd they pick this time some more old garbage or something cool?

i find the same autistic replies every single time when i mention these mindblowing Lacks that somethingawful has

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
if you can't think of anything cool they picked and are too scared to make a thread you can just say

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bobjr posted:

Didn’t he complain that he lost business because people saw him as a bad guy?

I know he had a contract dispute and then aired a bunch of dirty laundry like how the producers juiced the storage units by putting items in them.

Unrelated but I read something this morning about how Betty White was on the right side of history back in the day. In 1952 White was producing/hosting The Betty White Show which was a talk/variety show. One of the regulars was a black tap dancer named Arthur Duncan and when the show started airing on NBC there were complaints that having a black performer was causing problems with Southern stations who were threatening a boycott. White's reply was "I'm sorry, but, you know, he stays. Live with it."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/stephemcneal/status/1479518095144361988

It's strange, I didn't find reading this article about the failure of a bunch of clout chasing moron NEET zoomers coming to terms with their own fleeting relevance depressing at all.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah putting that on now, sounds great.

edit: Kid impressed with other kid's mansion, says it looks just like Cheesecake Factory and he loves Cheesecake Factory.

edit: on second thought maybe better to just read article. this suxks

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 7, 2022

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

It was one of the most hilarious early bits in the show for me, since at the time I was actually selling used books on the side. It wasn't just that he listed retail prices, but that all of them were the worthless political books that someone got from book liquidation pallets. The ones that they didn't bother to take to a recycler. Also, I remember thinking that any books that had been in a California storage unit long enough to fall into default probably had dried out and broken spines from the heat.

The other good one was him finding an entire locker of one very specific type of server enclosure. He priced them at like $80 a piece times 1000. The item had like 2 3-star reviews on Amazon and otherwise didn't exist on the Internet :). The Texas one had some real crazy ones. A lady finding two old designer dresses and quoting the 4-figure price tags as profit. And someone got a locker with 10,000+ little tins of lip balm and tubes of sunscreen and tried to pretend that it wouldn't take years to sell it all at swap meets.

I haven't seen the clear non-kayfabe story of what happened with Dave since at some point it just wraps back into the show's drama. He shut the store down, supposedly because of the negative side of the fame. He opened an auction house for real and it was a short arc on the show. But, at the time I think it had pretty bad reviews from what I remember and at some point they just stopped bringing it up.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

I will not stand for this Elmo slander. Elmo could see through her grift to grab an extra cookie and not share the labour equally with the people. Elmo is a true bolshevik and knows we must properly share both the means and end products of production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27uRzeaV99I

My Gen X big sis had no idea this was an internet thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RlTqFtdlH8

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

It was one of the most hilarious early bits in the show for me, since at the time I was actually selling used books on the side. It wasn't just that he listed retail prices, but that all of them were the worthless political books that someone got from book liquidation pallets. The ones that they didn't bother to take to a recycler. Also, I remember thinking that any books that had been in a California storage unit long enough to fall into default probably had dried out and broken spines from the heat.

A little bit before that episode aired my parents moved and my dad decided to get rid of a bunch of old books he had. He learned that used books stores weren't interested and that even thrift stores only wanted the mainstream popular stuff like his Clancy books.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Search Party!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/scott-pilgrim-anime-series-netflix-1235071580/
Scott Pilgrim animated series in development Netflix with comic creator on board to EP and write.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/scott-pilgrim-anime-series-netflix-1235071580/
Scott Pilgrim animated series in development Netflix with comic creator on board to EP and write.

Awesome!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
If you were to compare Search Party to another show, what would it be? Looking for a funny new show to watch.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

If you were to compare Search Party to another show, what would it be? Looking for a funny new show to watch.

Seinfeld.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Does it take a few episodes to get going? Just saw the pilot, thought nothing it was ok. Going to give it another episode or two.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

First season is a little shaky before they get the A,B,C plots really going

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Arist posted:

If I hadn't recently rewatched Sneakers I'd do so today.

The scene where he quietly steps up to the telescope and says,"...let me look...." cracks me up every time I think of it :allears:

Also, you know, he was a loving phenomenal actor and a trailblazer!

Oh gently caress yes, that's awesome.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

Does it take a few episodes to get going? Just saw the pilot, thought nothing it was ok. Going to give it another episode or two.

It takes a little bit before you get to really know and hate the characters, yeah.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

Generally people agree that the first season is uneven, and the show doesn't fully hit its stride til season 3. If you're in danger of dropping it, I'd recommend jumping to the third season.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Each season of Search Party is fairly different. The first season is really great, but also a very grounded, serious comedy show. What appeals about the later seasons is definitely not what appeals about the early seasons -- part of the fun is watching the show change and morph into... whatever the gently caress it becomes.

Yo, side bar: Toast of Tiseltown watchers, is Rashida Jones playing two separate characters in this?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Is there a Station Eleven thread? Is it any good?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Is there a Station Eleven thread? Is it any good?

There is a thread, and the thread is good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Generally people agree that the first season is uneven, and the show doesn't fully hit its stride til season 3. If you're in danger of dropping it, I'd recommend jumping to the third season.

They were talking about Search Party, I think. Which imo is good from the beginning but kinda slowly gets great over the course of the first season. 2 is probably the worst one overall but still very good, then 3-4 are fantastic. Just started 5 so I can’t speak to it yet but the first 10 minutes of the premiere are good at least!!

Search Party is…..a very dark, plot-focused sitcom which switches to parodying different genres (mostly kinda based around crime subgenres) from season to season as Open Source Idiom mentioned. It’s hilarious but the characters are definitely in the “awful narcissist” mould which obviously doesn’t appeal to everyone, especially when it’s not as outwardly funny as an Always Sunny or something. But it is a really good show.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
In Always Sunny, the characters are all terrible people but I like them and enjoy watching the hijinx they get into.

In Search Party, the characters are all terrible people, and I enjoy watching because I hate them and want to see bad things happen to them. Which they do, repeatedly, because they make the worst loving decisions.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That’s a great way to put it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

OldSenileGuy posted:

In Search Party, the characters are all terrible people, and I enjoy watching because I hate them and want to see bad things happen to them. Which they do, repeatedly, because they make the worst loving decisions.

Having just watched the first episode of Succession, I feel much the same way about that show, and am hoping the back half of your post happens to them too, because Jesus Christ :stare:

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I want a Search Party spinoff about Aspen please.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Having just watched the first episode of Succession, I feel much the same way about that show, and am hoping the back half of your post happens to them too, because Jesus Christ :stare:

:sickos:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Watched some episodes of the new network sitcoms mentioned a couple days back. Not sure about Abbott Elementary just yet, but I’m really enjoying American Auto.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

OldSenileGuy posted:

In Always Sunny, the characters are all terrible people but I like them and enjoy watching the hijinx they get into.

Starting season 5 episode 1 and man, that has to be the hottest sex scene I've ever seen

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I thought the scene under the boardwalk was way later than s5e1. It was a season opener though.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

It's why I don't watch Succession. The bad things that happen to the people on Search Party are like goes to jail / gets publicly shamed and cancelled / gets kidnapped and held in a basement for a year while the bad things that happen to the people on Succession are (I'm only guessing based on social media buzz since i don't watch the show) like guy gets cut out of the will / guy gets upset because daddy is mean to him / people fight in a board room and one of them is upset.

Run the people on Succession through the real wringer, not the rich-people-wringer, and maybe I'll watch

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rich people are just like you and me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

It's why I don't watch Succession. The bad things that happen to the people on Search Party are like goes to jail / gets publicly shamed and cancelled / gets kidnapped and held in a basement for a year while the bad things that happen to the people on Succession are (I'm only guessing based on social media buzz since i don't watch the show) like guy gets cut out of the will / guy gets upset because daddy is mean to him / people fight in a board room and one of them is upset.

Run the people on Succession through the real wringer, not the rich-people-wringer, and maybe I'll watch

This is so wildly reductive I don’t even know where to begin.