Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

if it's dungeon content I'll usually ignore a dot, but if it's a paralyze or some other crowd control debuff I'll nab it as soon as I see it. That boss is a weird exception that I keep an eye out for when I'm running with randos though.

Always let your friends die to it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Interestingly, this is something WoW is kind of better about. But part of that is almost everything in WoW can be dispelled and there are priests who straight up have mass dispel that gets dispels everyone inside it. It also does generally explain debuffs to be dispelled so that people know what they need to look for and why, in the Dungeon Journal.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

this is one reason i like playing bard. i will clear my own doom thank you very much.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

why'd you step in the doom puddle in the first place

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

OddObserver posted:

Well, this is possibly the first dungeon over 50 where it's useful.
(There is one earlier dungeon where there is an esunable sand-themed DoT by some worm that's pretty punishing that almost everyone tries to heal through rather than just removing it).

It feels like statuses are mostly either unremovable or ignorable except for the occasional paralyze and a few dungeon-specific mechanics.

Yeah, there are often similar problems with the first boss of Dun Scaith. Deathgaze does a doom debuff that healers will forget to esuna, especially since half the alliance is usually dead by then. I guess it doesn't help that doom is usually either a "clear it yourself by stepping on a glowing tile" thing or a "just heal everyone to full HP" thing.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

CobiWann posted:

It finally happened. Last night I quit a duty run before it finished in two years of playing this game.

It was the final MSQ dungeon and we wiped seven times on the first boss because the tank and one DPS couldn't grasp the mechanics. OK, fine, it happens, it's why it's the final MSQ dungeon. No one pointed fingers, no one called anyone else, we just explained and went again until we got it.

But when we wiped twice on the trash leading to the second boss, I was like "screw this" and left without saying anything. Felt like a major rear end in a top hat, and when I woke up this morning I still felt like kind of an rear end in a top hat.

I blame this game for fostering a real sense of community.

On the one hand, yeah this sucks and I don't blame you for leaving.

On the other hand,

quote:

Thread title.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Vitamean posted:

i have never hosed up that particular mechanic but it comes in very handy on the first boss of dun scaith

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Remember when there was no indication that you could esuna a debuff? That was when Dun Scaith was current content :sickos:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Awesome! posted:

i have never hosed up that particular mechanic but it comes in very handy on the first boss of dun scaith

that's fair!

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Awesome! posted:

this is one reason i like playing bard. i will clear my own doom thank you very much.

Incidentally if you stand on the wrong side on the last boss of the lv90 MSQ dungeon and get hit by one of the linear lasers, it also applies a Doom that can only be removed by restoring you to max HP

Both this and the Doom status effect from the doodoo puddles on the first boss, I learned on my first run as a healer with other people :v:, but I reacted to the Doom in time at least

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Huh, I didn't realize it was a curable doom in that way. I usually get got by that attack because it's really hard to tell if a butterfly is facing you or not :eng99:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Vitamean posted:

So I could clear it with Warden's Paean, duh

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hey thread, what's your favorite EW trial? 83, 89, or 90?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Alxprit posted:

Huh, I didn't realize it was a curable doom in that way. I usually get got by that attack because it's really hard to tell if a butterfly is facing you or not :eng99:

I was also having trouble, but I got that dungeon a few days in a row and finally noticed that they have ground rings around them like any other enemy, and thus there's a little arrow on it indicating which direction they're facing :negative:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

...I should probably turn on whatever setting makes ground rings appear on enemies you aren't targeting.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Chillgamesh posted:

Incidentally if you stand on the wrong side on the last boss of the lv90 MSQ dungeon and get hit by one of the linear lasers, it also applies a Doom that can only be removed by restoring you to max HP

Actually discovered this when I was standing in a safe spot, but the healer rescued me to their safe spot without warning, causing me to step back out and get clipped. No they didn't heal me enough afterwards.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Alxprit posted:

This game kind of has a problem with the Doom status in particular. Depending on where you are, you need to figure out which of three different ways to clear it is necessary: step on a glowing platform (Sunken Temple of Qarn, World of Darkness), heal to full (Wanderer's Palace (Hard), 90 MSQ dungeon), or just Esuna it (Dun Scaith). It's not too hard to figure out once you understand it (if it's not Esuna-vulnerable and there's no platforms to cleanse it, heal to full), but it's pretty strange.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

The Second Extreme Trial is sweet. I love pulling the Adds around the circle, and hiding from waves is fun.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oxyclean posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if players in general underuse role actions.

I literally only just realised I have a button that lets me ignore any knockback mechanic, like I knew sort of it was there but just assumed it didn't work on anything it might be useful for, like status effects in old RPGs.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i really like the 90 trial. the first time i did it i was so hyped at the cutscene

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sakurazuka posted:

I literally only just realised I have a button that lets me ignore any knockback mechanic, like I knew sort of it was there but just assumed it didn't work on anything it might be useful for, like status effects in old RPGs.

If you're a tank it's also basically a defensive cooldown for trash!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

To be honest none of them really grabbed me like some of the ones in ShB. 83 is too big and has a gimmick that gives me a headache. 89 is boring mechanically and the premise makes my eyes roll. The twist in 90 is too saccharine but the music is good and I bet the extreme is going to be rad.

So I guess I choose 90.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I was pretty shocked when I did a P2 run where everyone used their surecast/arm's length to ignore the knockback parts. Most of the time I expect that if I use it instead of doing the repositioning someone else in the party will not know about the ability, but come stand where I am.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

ALL IN CREATION BEND TO MY WILL

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The 90 trial rules pretty hard thematically but it's pretty simple mechanically once you know what's going on. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the ex version in 6.1.

I gotta admit the spectacle and scenery chewing in the 83 trial is amazing though.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Arist posted:

If you're a tank it's also basically a defensive cooldown for trash!

Also if you're a DPS being an accidental tank 'cause your tank died.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I actually don't know the intended method to solve the knockback stacks in P2S. Arms/Surecast are up for every one.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Pollyanna posted:

90, for sure. The mechanics are pretty straightforward, but they're visually spectacular in a way that blows the other two out of the water. Really has the feeling of a JRPG final boss, more than any of the other capstone trials.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Vitamean posted:

I actually don't know the intended method to solve the knockback stacks in P2S. Arms/Surecast are up for every one.

You have a few seconds after the kb so one group could move while the other holds still. But everybody has a KB resistance move that they aren't using for anything else in that fight so why not use it?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Arist posted:

This game kind of has a problem with the Doom status in particular. Depending on where you are, you need to figure out which of three different ways to clear it is necessary: step on a glowing platform (Sunken Temple of Qarn, World of Darkness), heal to full (Wanderer's Palace (Hard), 90 MSQ dungeon), or just Esuna it (Dun Scaith). It's not too hard to figure out once you understand it (if it's not Esuna-vulnerable and there's no platforms to cleanse it, heal to full), but it's pretty strange.

My impression was that sometimes Doom just isn't curable and it's a penalty for failing the mechanic but I guess if that were the case it would probably just not mince words and kill you outright huh.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Alxprit posted:

My impression was that sometimes Doom just isn't curable and it's a penalty for failing the mechanic but I guess if that were the case it would probably just not mince words and kill you outright huh.

Doom is rarely used as a incurable penalty for screwing up, but it does happen. For example, triggering Twice Come Ruin in Dulubrum Reginae.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yesterday I found out that the Role Orbs on P4 ignore rez invulnerability.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Thundarr posted:

Doom is rarely used as a incurable penalty for screwing up, but it does happen. For example, triggering Twice Come Ruin in Dulubrum Reginae.

I have been told at least once that on Normal the doom from twice come ruin can be removed via Edina. But you only get 3 seconds to do it.

On Savage DR though I imagine not.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

twice/thrice comes ruin is such a cool mechanic, I think. particularly in delubrum normal if you get doom you get a bit of time to process why exactly you're about to die, and getting one (or two in drs fights with savage) doesn't hurt the healers like vuln stacks do, and just hurts your dps. in e12s and p4/s they're ways to enforce doing mechanics a certain way, which is less cool I guess but still neat.

although overall I'm glad that savage fights seem to be moving to damage downs for failing mechanics instead of vuln stacks.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Personally I don’t like the way twice/thrice is used in DR because everything applies it, so if you’ve got spotty ping you can just lose to being tagged by a mechanic badly even if you survive the damage fine. The idea I suspect is because people can have triple the health pools in DR that they would have otherwise and they can’t really scale damage for the level of damage reduction and survival capability that Lost Actions can provide.

It feels much more elegant to me in P4 because it’s tied to a specific mechanic that they don’t want you to cheese.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I love twice comes ruin in DR and I hope we get more special raids with that gimmick in the future

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Vitamean posted:

twice/thrice comes ruin is such a cool mechanic, I think. particularly in delubrum normal if you get doom you get a bit of time to process why exactly you're about to die, and getting one (or two in drs fights with savage) doesn't hurt the healers like vuln stacks do, and just hurts your dps. in e12s and p4/s they're ways to enforce doing mechanics a certain way, which is less cool I guess but still neat.

although overall I'm glad that savage fights seem to be moving to damage downs for failing mechanics instead of vuln stacks.

Damage downs just make more sense than vuln stacks for Savage, honestly. Vuln stacks were more punishing to progression, but on some level they also invite people to figure out how to tank through them. Damage downs actually punish that far more while still not being the end of the world.

Side note: my static briefly considered letting the main tank eat a damage down on the color squares in P1S unless we did a slightly more complicated strat that involved me switching with the main tank on certain iterations of that mechanic. I volunteered to try to learn it despite being trash at most mechanics, but I actually know how to do it perfectly now.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
twice come ruin is in E10S as well for pools that have to be soaked. it's nice as a way to give a bit flexibility by designing harder encounters while still allowing players to clear with a miss or two

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I’m gonna be honest the do mechanics badly get a debuff thing is probably never going to sit entirely right with me. Coming from WoW where the punishment for doing a mechanic wrong is well, did the mechanic wrong, and that was always enough to make me wanna do em right every time.

The additional you hosed up shame marker just feels like insult to injury. Which I guess the way P4 uses Twice Come is not the same so I find it fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

CobiWann posted:

It finally happened. Last night I quit a duty run before it finished in two years of playing this game.

It was the final MSQ dungeon and we wiped seven times on the first boss because the tank and one DPS couldn't grasp the mechanics. OK, fine, it happens, it's why it's the final MSQ dungeon. No one pointed fingers, no one called anyone else, we just explained and went again until we got it.

But when we wiped twice on the trash leading to the second boss, I was like "screw this" and left without saying anything. Felt like a major rear end in a top hat, and when I woke up this morning I still felt like kind of an rear end in a top hat.

https://twitter.com/DoubleThrenody/status/1405694323883192324