Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bremen posted:

Without mods you only get the "recruit an additional x" covert op for whatever resistance faction you started with (so reaper if you're playing with Lost and Abandoned).

Fortunately Reapers are the best, so at least he's not stuck with two skirmishers.

In terms of who you want two of I would disagree as the third faction really wants a couple key bonus skills as it turns them from great into complete monsters and the more of said faction you have the better chance you have of getting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Personally, the skirmishers are my favorite of the new group. X-COM 2 puts a premium on occasionally being able to haul rear end from one end of the map to another, and no one does that better than skirmishers.

The third faction are just kind of overpowered in my experience, and reapers are fun but I've never been sold on them being genuinely useful over another option.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Cythereal posted:

Personally, the skirmishers are my favorite of the new group. X-COM 2 puts a premium on occasionally being able to haul rear end from one end of the map to another, and no one does that better than skirmishers.

The third faction are just kind of overpowered in my experience, and reapers are fun but I've never been sold on them being genuinely useful over another option.

Sniper plus reaper for spotting is just outright unfair and is the best way to complete those awful missions with the "only 3 people" sitrep. Plus they become extremely good for reliable cleanup of damaged enemies, once you get Blood Trail (+damage if enemy's wounded this turn) and the one that makes kill shots give a 0% chance to reveal. Flank shots without the risk of pulling a new pod is really excellent.

edit: VVV: The way I play with Templars, they always make things harder. But god drat it I will never stop charging idiotically ahead, because stab.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 7, 2022

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Cythereal posted:

IMHO, killing enemies fast is great but what's really likely to cause you trouble in X-Com 2 is a bad activation. As Jade noted, if you build a Reaper correctly they pretty much never have to leave their uber-concealment, which means you can scout ahead and basically always activate enemy pods exactly when you want to (speaking of, I definitely recommend a mod that shows you the activation range of enemies you've spotted from concealment). There's a reason that once you get a soldier with the "does not get revealed with the rest of the squad" perk it can be worth keeping them concealed for the entire mission, and Reapers can do that better while also contributing to fights. Meanwhile, skirmishers and Templars are both highly built around running/grappling forward and dealing with the enemies up close, which means they make you far more likely to activate additional pods at the worst possible moment.

A Templar, and maybe even a Skirmisher, will likely end a mission with more kills than a Reaper, but I feel like they also often make that mission a lot harder.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 7, 2022

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I should experiment with the new classes and see what I like.

I've been tempted to download like, every workshop class and visual mod and let the chips fall where they may with whatever weirdo fuckin' cartoon units generate.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Veryslightlymad posted:

I should experiment with the new classes and see what I like.

I've been tempted to download like, every workshop class and visual mod and let the chips fall where they may with whatever weirdo fuckin' cartoon units generate.

Don't. A lot of the workshop classes are pure garbage. And this is from someone running 350+ mods.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Amalgamation classmod is pretty good

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Skirmishers in my opinion have the most general utility. Usually when you are doing the math on a turn and you run into an "oh gently caress" situation halfway through (e.g. guy about to get killed, mission parameter about to fail) I find Skirmishers just super handy for extricating yourself out of that situation. They can move themselves, they can move enemies, they can give a turn to someone else, etc. Templar has similar mobility stuff, but you generally get them later, and then have to level them up quite a ways, so they never became my go to in that kind of situation. Reapers are actually a bit of a hard sell at first because their damage is rear end, but I just think they're cool in general.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Scaramouche posted:

Skirmishers in my opinion have the most general utility. Usually when you are doing the math on a turn and you run into an "oh gently caress" situation halfway through (e.g. guy about to get killed, mission parameter about to fail) I find Skirmishers just super handy for extricating yourself out of that situation. They can move themselves, they can move enemies, they can give a turn to someone else, etc. Templar has similar mobility stuff, but you generally get them later, and then have to level them up quite a ways, so they never became my go to in that kind of situation. Reapers are actually a bit of a hard sell at first because their damage is rear end, but I just think they're cool in general.

Going by Guava's not so subtle talk about a certain Reaper ability, he might disagree with you a bit about the damage.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bremen posted:

Going by Guava's not so subtle talk about a certain Reaper ability, he might disagree with you a bit about the damage.

It isn't the damage that makes that ability special.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Bremen posted:

Hence my saying at first

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Just recorded commentary for the next video but Guava hasn't played XCom in so long he's asking dumb questions like "Whats the mental equivalent of muscle memory?"

I wish we'd still been recording for that.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Bremen posted:

Or just hand them a laser sight. They have high movement and crazy stealth, so it's really easy for them to exploit their bonkers crit damage bonus. Feast of the fallen is basically a free 20% crit chance of lost missions to boot. And if you get deep pockets and toss them some talon rounds... :getin:

Remote start is situationally hilarious damage risk free as well. They do tons of damage, it just doesn't look like it initially.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Bremen posted:

IMHO, killing enemies fast is great but what's really likely to cause you trouble in X-Com 2 is a bad activation. As Jade noted, if you build a Reaper correctly they pretty much never have to leave their uber-concealment, which means you can scout ahead and basically always activate enemy pods exactly when you want to (speaking of, I definitely recommend a mod that shows you the activation range of enemies you've spotted from concealment). There's a reason that once you get a soldier with the "does not get revealed with the rest of the squad" perk it can be worth keeping them concealed for the entire mission, and Reapers can do that better while also contributing to fights. Meanwhile, skirmishers and Templars are both highly built around running/grappling forward and dealing with the enemies up close, which means they make you far more likely to activate additional pods at the worst possible moment.

A Templar, and maybe even a Skirmisher, will likely end a mission with more kills than a Reaper, but I feel like they also often make that mission a lot harder.

This is the real power of the Reaper. Being able to spot enemy pods without activating them is an amazing power. Doubly so since Reapers can shoot and remain concealed compared to similarly built Rangers. Most of the times you get into trouble comes from unexpected activations. Worf's parkour abilities just can't match that.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Jade Star posted:

"Whats the mental equivalent of muscle memory?"

Memory?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

We all have Guava Moments at times, it's part of being human.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

More fully integrated learning imo. It's the purely mental version of stuff you've done so often you do it without consciously thinking about it. Reading once you're fully literate in a language, that sort of thing.

Totally valid question.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Non jokingly it'd be possible to describe it as training, there's the part about training yourself by understanding the material and there's a part about sectioning off a part of your mind to automatically execute on them, like an airline pilot getting some information from ATC, blah blah blah your squawk code is such, head up to this altitude and turn to that heading once you reach that, and they don't make a big job of thinking about it, they shove it in a brain box automatically and it's still purely mental.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

In today's special episode we get a look at the chosen and the ethereal(s?) giving them orders, make scientific progress, and ponder the nature of a car on fire and whether it will explode or not.

And then Guava mentioned I should post all the after mission posters, so I'm gonna thumbnail them at the bottom of each update.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

That's a rather prophetic operation name.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Stun Lancers, an early game enemy that remains the absolute first priority targets until the end of the game, outside of unusual situations.

E: Also while speaking of Canadian Premiers, there's that guy who wore blackface, what's his name.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 10, 2022

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Jake Solomon: We want aliens to be rare and special events, not the rank and file, they should always be the focus of the battle.

Jake Solomon: Also here's a dude with a pointy stick who will be your number one target in most fights.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I am glad to see that Darkest Dungeon has inspired the negative trait system.

I am glad that we did.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cythereal posted:

Jake Solomon: We want aliens to be rare and special events, not the rank and file, they should always be the focus of the battle.

Jake Solomon: Also here's a dude with a pointy stick who will be your number one target in most fights.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

"John Lackland" is a reference to John I of England. Yes, that King John. I wonder if someone slipped in other nods to Robin Hood or High Medieval England.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
For those who don't have the story missions turned on it during your first raid that you run into the chosen for the first time.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Just to let you know, Guava's volume was okay in this video, but you were really *quiet*, Jade. It was hard to hear you if there was any game-chatter or effects going on, it tended to drown you out.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

BlazetheInferno posted:

Just to let you know, Guava's volume was okay in this video, but you were really *quiet*, Jade. It was hard to hear you if there was any game-chatter or effects going on, it tended to drown you out.

I had a problem with my audio leaking out my headphones and getting into my mic recording on lost and abandoned. I probably over compensated for it.

E: oh right, youtube comments wanted the file for the LP's mission names so I googled quick file host site.

grab it here; https://ufile.io/y7rfokw3

the file is xcomgame.int under whatever your steam install folder is/steamapps/common/Xcom 2/xcomgame/localization/INT

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 10, 2022

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

Am I the only one seeing a very angry dude with 2 giant butter knives crossed on his back?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

stryth posted:

Am I the only one seeing a very angry dude with 2 giant butter knives crossed on his back?

I'm surprised we got Chef Jean-Pierre in the game!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I just looked at the little xcomlopedia thing in the commander's quarters that got mentioned early on. It's another level of hidden lore than advertised. 90% of it is one paragraph tutorial rehashes on classes and rooms on the avenger, but then there's a smattering of personnel profiles a few paragraphs long and a giant lore dump for each chosen hidden in there. Glad I looked at it, Bradford's little blurb amused me.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

This really felt like it should be a short video, but turned out normal length anyway. The geoscape layer continues to be a bit of a mess, needing many more supplies, facilities, and time to scan sites for resources or make contact with other regions. I didn't feel like i spent 15 minutes on the geoscape when recording.

On the tactical side of things we get our first rescue mission. Plot provided of course, but it plays out the same as any actual rescue mission does. These are naturally new to WoTC and can provide a challenge at first. Detection isn't a fail condition, though it certainly will make things harder. As alert level goes up the detection range for patrolling advent goes up and eventually more guards will show up. Open confrontation isn't recommended as you are limited to a three man squad, but it isn't an impossible situation either. ADVENT is also limited to smaller pods of enemies, usually only containing ADVENT soldiers or mechs. Of course the door alarm going off and setting alert to maximum if you don't succeed the specific hack to disable it is kind of rude to first time players. As I play it out in the video my usual plan is to avoid contact until I am as close to the cell block as possible and then hack and extract as fast as possible.

The Covert Ring gets built this episode as well which is great. The semi-tutorial of finding Mox shows off most of what it can do. Beside plot points and being necessary to locate and eventually confront each of the Chosen, the Cover Ring can undertake a wide array of missions. From combat training to gain skill points or boost combat intelligence to recovering loot, manufacturing PCS's or weapon modifications, increasing soldier bonds, acquiring new scientists or engineers for the base, or even discovering breakthrough research for Tygan. The Covert Ring does a lot. Besides all of the direct rewards of a mission often times a covert action will grant a stat boost to one soldier that undertakes the mission. Typically these boosts are things like aim or hacking +3, dodge +5, HP +1, or mobility +1. There isn't a limit to gains from these rewards as far as I know so you can absolutely stack multiple gains on a single soldier. Make that sniper have 155 natural aim. Train your super hack to hack Sectopods in their sleep. Have your ranger have an unreasonable amount of movement. It's great.

There are some risks to the Covert Ring, minor as they usually are. Most commonly is that almost every mission comes with some risk of injury to your soldiers. Risk of injury is usually a very mild risk to take, often the chances of injury are low and any actual injuries taken usually require no more than a week of time to recover from. Much more rarely there is a chance of an ambush. After completing the task at hand your soldiers will have to fight through a short map to make it to the escape point. Usually this isn't a big deal, but you're likely to only have two soldiers on these missions and if you're like most of us you unequip any soldiers not on the next mission so those that are on covert actions may not have utility items equipped like med kits, armors, or special grenade types. So things can be rough on ambush missions, but ADVENT is also limited to 1 or 2 man pods so you are not horrendously out numbered, though it can still be easy to get overwhelmed or panic due to the low number of actions you can take per turn. Lastly the worst risk in covert actions is a chance of capture. No mission, no Chosen snagging them in a fight, one of your operatives is just straight captured. You can rescue them, like we did with Mox, but when that opportunity comes up may not be for a long time. This is the only serious threat I pay attention to when issuing covert actions.

Also I cut it out while I was waffling back and forth between the squad deployment screens but covert actions do give the soldiers XP and one covert action is enough to promote a rookie to squaddie. John Jackson and Yapping Eevee completed their mission, found Mox, and both earn a promotion.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
You don't need the covert ring to do missions. What it does is allow you to constantly send people out on assignments instead of having to wait for the once a month report to issue them.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

There's actually a third way to get captured: if you run out of time on one of the missions that have an "Evac within X turns" countdown, anyone who didn't automatically becomes captured, and eligible for one of these breakout missions. Although I don't know whether they contribute to Chosen Knowledge so they might not be capital-C Captured.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Akratic Method posted:

There's actually a third way to get captured: if you run out of time on one of the missions that have an "Evac within X turns" countdown, anyone who didn't automatically becomes captured, and eligible for one of these breakout missions. Although I don't know whether they contribute to Chosen Knowledge so they might not be capital-C Captured.

They do not give Knowledge that still happened in non WOTC XCOM 2. Any Captured units from that can show up as Rescue VIP's in normal missions.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

As mentioned - you get one covert action a month without the ring.

I have Jenner as a specialist in my game and she has like 270 hacking at this point. So Sectopods are like a 99% chance to just take over. I don't mind the tired mechanic too much. It's a nice way to get you to use different characters than just 6-12 perfect soldiers.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Jade's in-game self just staring down at the text like "what is that???"

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Replacing "Vigilo Confido" with Tim's is what makes this image. Well done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
Great to see the soldier I made for the original LP (Godwisdom Asamoah) got into the game. Even if they're just a "zombie bartender" for now.

In defence of the horrible appearance, I don't own the game and based my choices on the video Jade put out at the start of the original LP without seeing what everything would look like combined.
Skull face paint, mutton chops, probaby a few things in there that can't be combined. Not to mention that colour scheme. :wtc:

It's no Operation Disappointing Prince or Archon King execution, but a personal highlight nonetheless. :woop: