Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Erin O'Toole: accommodate the unvaccinated

Federal government: lol no, make vaccination mandatory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Erin Outil, accommodate DEEZ NUTS!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

To think I specifically looked for a Moderna booster since that's what my first two were (and despite realizing that it probably made no difference either way).

The day afters with Moderna 2&3 loving sucked but whatever. I also got a flu shot along with my booster dose so that might be part of it too :v:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:lol: holy poo poo - 2168 cases in Winnipeg, 3265 in Manitoba. :lol:

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Vintersorg posted:

Can you imagine these case numbers translated into hospitalisations if we didn't have vaccines? jesus christ

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Just got my booster of Moderna Wednesday. Felt horrible with chills and headache all Thursday, but feel good again now. That's the worst I've reacted. The first two Covid shots were fine.

Any clue when the Feds are actually going to put out regulations for the vaccine mandate in federally regulated industries? They said only early 2022. We have some people about to lose their jobs but they're hanging on to hope that they are going to backtrack of things get better in a month.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Femtosecond posted:

The lowest hanging fruit of "stuff we can mail to everyone that would probably help" would be N95 masks. It would have been smart to do this in the lull before omicron but it's not too late.

Based on the response from governments throughout the Western world, most of the time it's either too early to commit to stronger measures or too late for them to have any impact, and if there's a sliver of time in between, the relevant politicians are on vacation.

Meanwhile, the CDC is still telling people not to wear surgical N95s on one page (without explaining the distinction with non-medical grade masks) while warning that ~60% of KN-95s in the US are counterfeit on another page. Just lol.

I hadn't checked Canada's guidance before now but it doesn't even seem to mention (K)N-95 standards at all. I'm not sure if that's an improvement? It sure would be nice if Health Canada and/or the FDA did something about counterfeit masks and offered better mask guidance.

For example, I've tried Vitacore masks. Most of them seem to be facsimiles of 3M masks, and they claim this: "All of our respirators have undergone testing through the National Research council, Vancouver Coastal, McMaster University, UBC and have been Authorized for use by Health Canada to be used in place as NIOSH/N95 equivalent". They're listed here as an authorized device, although it's unclear if the CAN-95/99 standard they made up means anything or is really NIOSH-equivalent. The only other reference I found is for a "resolved" misleading advertising issue.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I ordered some Auras from Cangard and they're on the way. I'm having a gently caress of a time finding high quality masks, let alone one that will seal / fit properly

I ordered some Vitacore ones too, they're health Canada approved and a doctor I know recommended them to me as a reliable source, I think they're legit

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Bonnie Henry just gave an absolutely insane press conference. I can't even list all of the dumb poo poo she just said, but the #1 to my mind was that kids from households with a confirmed COVID-19 case should not themselves self-isolate and should still go to school, EVEN IF they are showing "mild symptoms".

I am living in the provincial version of the South Park chicken pox episode. loving take me from this insufficiently homosexual earth.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Franks Happy Place posted:

Bonnie Henry just gave an absolutely insane press conference. I can't even list all of the dumb poo poo she just said, but the #1 to my mind was that kids from households with a confirmed COVID-19 case should not themselves self-isolate and should still go to school, EVEN IF they are showing "mild symptoms".

I am living in the provincial version of the South Park chicken pox episode. loving take me from this insufficiently homosexual earth.
What the fuuuuuuuck. Good to hear my kid will just get covid, awesome.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
One of the most deranged things about that statement is that it was never a good idea to send sick kids to school. If I got sick, I got to stay home and lie on the couch and watch the Price Is Right, because that was considered a completely normal thing to do if you were ill in school. No doctor's note, nothing; just mum phoning up the school and saying "yeah, PT6A won't be in today, he's sick," and if you got sick at school, they'd phone someone to come take you home.

The fact that we're actively moving backwards in terms of public health is insane. We're a few weeks from recommending bleeding as a way to balance the humours.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

W-what?

I have enough unvaccinated nutjobs in my region. There is no way I'm throwing my kids into that fire. I have an unvaccinated 4-year-old at home, and that's in an age group that's showing disproportionate hospitalizations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Vintersorg posted:

It's insane how infectious it is. I was hesitant to pick some stuff up from some family earlier this week but everyone was being rapid tested and they were all negative. PCR results come back days later for my cousin who works retail and it turns out he was actually positive, but I guess he was asymptomatic.

I had my mask off for just one hour to grab a bite to eat and ended up getting infected. I'm double vaccinated so it's been pretty mild so far, light fever at night accompanied by the sweats and a stuffy nose. We'll see what it's like if/when it gets into my lungs. I tried calling Health Links to report or confirm it, but after three hours on hold I gave up and am just going to lock down for two weeks since I'm fortunate to have a friend group that's been helping each other out throughout the pandemic with stuff like shopping, laundry and child care.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I think at this point they've looked at the vaxxed numbers, decided everyone is going to get it anyway and are trying to speedrun through it

Our ICU wards are still at half capacity so if the peak comes in the next week or so and then reduces it may actually work.

(note to reader: 'if' and 'may' are doing a lot of work in that sentance)

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

school is day care

do not stay home to care for your sick child, that will anger the number

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

I just saw the BC news on school, holy poo poo that's hosed up. My sister is a high risk teacher who's vaccinated but was told her immunity would still be negligible and this was before boosters were a glimmer. I know she currently still works from home because she has the medical proof to back up her claims, but I also know her boss has fought her on it and doesn't like it.

The very idea that we are regressing on our stances on sick days because of this is hosed up, I am not as immunocompromised as my sister but still tend to get sick more often than the general populace for my own medical reasons. I would hope we would become more compassionate not less, humans loving suck.

Syfe fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 8, 2022

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
6,257 cases in AB, increase of 1,388 over yesterday.

To be a parent in AB right now must be fun.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I wish we'd all just have a general strike. Teachers, meat packers, all the high-risk jobs just saying gently caress you. Topple society, it clearly has absolutely zero care if any of us live or die or have serious long term health problems. Work, spend, be kind, die.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

On the road atm, is there a good rundown anywhere on the DBH presser that isn't a video? Having trouble finding things on Twitter

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 8, 2022

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

apatheticman posted:

Just dump the bad news late on Friday, then get those kids back into school on Monday. 38% loving positivity. I'm full cspam brain now, I'm not leaving the house without a respirator fitted to my fat fuckin face

I don't know why every government has just loving surrendered at the same time

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/CMOH_Alberta/status/1479609599116201986?t=sP61QQZC3XTO8nk7v5ie7A&s=19

Christ

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

loving WHAT

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

apatheticman posted:

I'm keeping my kids home from school next week. It sucks. I'm glad I'm in a position where I can do that. Everything sucks. I want my kids to be in school because they like school, but it isn't goddamn safe right now.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Let’s just all loving die, then, shall we?

Jesus Christ this country is run by idiots.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Is "sufficient" doing the heavy lifting there or what?

There's gotta be some serious calculus going on behind that statement.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Why bring it up if you're not gonna answer the question? If you’re gonna be a poo poo CMOH, at least be a remotely competent politician. loving useless.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

infernal machines posted:

Is "sufficient" doing the heavy lifting there or what?

There's gotta be some serious calculus going on behind that statement.

There's no way to doublespeak around the fact that an N95 is significantly better. Omicron spreads faster than these numbers but you're still much better protected behind an N95 than any other option.

https://twitter.com/westmm4028/status/1479621236342751234?t=bvEpHq4l2HdacDX6xrdrbQ&s=19

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
What is even the cost benefit analysis. Sufficient compared to what. They're strips of loving cloth, this poo poo has been going on for 2 years, why not give people the best ones available and guidance on how to use them? The cost of that is not high at all, and what other downside is there?

I am as sick of Hinshaws purported expertise as I am Kenneys naked FYGM ideology at this point

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

There's no way to doublespeak around the fact that an N95 is significantly better. Omicron spreads faster than these numbers but you're still much better protected behind an N95 than any other option.

https://twitter.com/westmm4028/status/1479621236342751234?t=bvEpHq4l2HdacDX6xrdrbQ&s=19

That chart is garbage, though the gist of "better masks are better" is true.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It's loving Alberta, of course the answer is probably this

https://twitter.com/sunshinejennni/status/1479618444681093121?t=4rc3ujGiFScG_6nyE6PdhQ&s=19

pokeyman posted:

That chart is garbage
how so?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

It's 1000% this. If they admitted widespread use or higher quality masks would help to reduce transmission, the question would be, why is it still so hard to get n95s then and why aren't nurses, teachers, etc having them supplied

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
eXXon is now thread IK, for any who didn't notice.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

terrorist ambulance posted:

It's 1000% this. If they admitted widespread use or higher quality masks would help to reduce transmission, the question would be, why is it still so hard to get n95s then and why aren't nurses, teachers, etc having them supplied

Lying to us about how wearing masks actually hurts us worked so well earlier in the pandemic, I'm glad we're still using that same playbook.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Koos Group posted:

Thank you for your service.

I promise to PM you every time I have an issue with their moderation choices

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Koos Group posted:

I'm still wondering what disqualified someone else. You're not doing a very good job of being transparent or communicating with people, and if you're trying to do a better job of moderating D&D that's something you want to work on.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 13, 2022

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Hinshaw is vile and useless because I'm sure she actually knows better, and just refuses to do or say anything that isn't approved by Kenney and co.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah I don't give a poo poo how nice she'd be if I talked to her at a wine tasting or how soothing she can sound while exhorting us all to work together to flatten the curve. She's headed one of the objectively worst covid responses in the country, refuses to explicate how we got here or the plan to get better, and appears to believe anyone gives a poo poo what she judges "sufficient"

Just have one of kenneys red faced goons trundle out and tell us to risk ourselves for number, no help is coming and gently caress you, I'd prefer that honestly

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Also she was appointed by the NDP government before the last election, so just loving lol at that.

Bad choice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Remember, stay home as much as possible and avoid crowded places.

Also: schools are open! Have fun, everyone!

https://twitter.com/CMOH_Alberta/status/1479609601574146050