Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

LionArcher posted:

I couldn’t help myself. Started a hardcore run. Played six hours last two days, already have moonpool, seamouth, and about to start going deep. My favorite part in the game. By avoiding most radio transmissions, I’ve seemed to actually avoid advancing the story too much? Which honestly, is fine with me.

One question. Never used the bio reactor before. What’s the best things to put into it to power my base?

If you have them, marblemelons. They've got a decent amount of power in them and grow faster than they're used. Two ground pots beside each Bioreactor is enough for power and then some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Bioreactors are best used as a convenience thing I feel? So have a grow bed of creepvines outside your base (or something better inside maybe) and just harvest and chuck in a full load every time you come home. Optimally, peepers and the like are very energy dense but that's way too much hassle.

Once a single bioreactor + random solar cells aren't able to keep up, you can probably afford a bunch of thermals or a nuke. I have never used a nuke, to my shame.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

LionArcher posted:

I couldn’t help myself. Started a hardcore run. Played six hours last two days, already have moonpool, seamouth, and about to start going deep. My favorite part in the game. By avoiding most radio transmissions, I’ve seemed to actually avoid advancing the story too much? Which honestly, is fine with me.

One question. Never used the bio reactor before. What’s the best things to put into it to power my base?

I like to put an indoor growbed and some land plants to keep it topped up. That fuel might not be the most efficient, but it's fast to keep topped up.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Whatever you put in the bioreactor, make sure it’s a single square on the grid, will give you the most bang for your buck. Fish are probably the best energy wise. Plants don’t typically last as long. But that may not bother you if you have some growbeds right next to it like the other poster said. Be careful using a water filtration with a bioreactor, it will suck it’s energy dry almost faster than it can recharge.

I only use a bioreactor as a stop gap till I can get the nuclear plans.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cartoon Man posted:

Whatever you put in the bioreactor, make sure it’s a single square on the grid, will give you the most bang for your buck. Fish are probably the best energy wise. Plants don’t typically last as long. But that may not bother you if you have some growbeds right next to it like the other poster said. Be careful using a water filtration with a bioreactor, it will suck it’s energy dry almost faster than it can recharge.

I only use a bioreactor as a stop gap till I can get the nuclear plans.
A big part of this good advice is because the bioreactor has the same refill rate no matter what, so how much bio energy something is worth is how long it takes to break down. Meaning multi tile items are worth a whole lot less than they sound, and need to replace a lot more often, than "Just some peepers I guess".

Still, anything is good enough if you just want to keep the lights on. And at least water filtration isn't enough drain all by itself to strain the nuclear reactor like in EA, even if I mostly ever used it as a source of free salt :v:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

When you finally build a nuclear reactor, don’t bother building a nuclear waste disposal bin. Just chuck those spent fuel rods right in the ocean. Those jerks at Alterra don’t want you to know it’s a perfectly legal thrill.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Section Z posted:

even if I mostly ever used it as a source of free salt :v:

As if this game didn’t yield enough salt already

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

LionArcher posted:

Fish.

Wee little fishies. I think there may be a mechanic where dead/decomposing fish actually work better than live ones, but I can't recall the details.

The bigger a thing is, and the more space it takes up in the bioreactor inventory, the less efficient it is, even if it's enormous in terms of theoretical energy value.

Also, if you can manage it, build at least one solar panel on your base first, then build the bioreactor (and better still, if you get one mod, get the 'power order' mod (it may say it's deprecated, but it still works just fine). Literally the most important mod in the game that should've been core.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

LionArcher posted:

Whatever's conveniently at hand in your biome. Otherwise, reginalds are nearly the best biofuel, and they're also the best food, so if you have the alien containment blueprint, they're handy to breed.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Aoi posted:

Fish.

Wee little fishies. I think there may be a mechanic where dead/decomposing fish actually work better than live ones, but I can't recall the details.

The bigger a thing is, and the more space it takes up in the bioreactor inventory, the less efficient it is, even if it's enormous in terms of theoretical energy value.

Also, if you can manage it, build at least one solar panel on your base first, then build the bioreactor (and better still, if you get one mod, get the 'power order' mod (it may say it's deprecated, but it still works just fine). Literally the most important mod in the game that should've been core.

This is my first main base in safe shallows. Built four solar panels first, so it’s going swimmingly. Now where the hell is the cyclops hull fragments? I have found so many engine parts and bridge parts. Just one more hull fragment.

Im kinda breaking the game, in the sense that the rescue ship hasn’t shown up, and I’ve already gotten my sea-mouth full depth mods lol. Im curious how far I can get without answering the radio (they let me know their on the way, but no timer yet).

Like, can I basically go as deep as I want without dealing with all of that? I figure probably.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

LionArcher posted:

This is my first main base in safe shallows. Built four solar panels first, so it’s going swimmingly. Now where the hell is the cyclops hull fragments? I have found so many engine parts and bridge parts. Just one more hull fragment.

Im kinda breaking the game, in the sense that the rescue ship hasn’t shown up, and I’ve already gotten my sea-mouth full depth mods lol. Im curious how far I can get without answering the radio (they let me know their on the way, but no timer yet).

Like, can I basically go as deep as I want without dealing with all of that? I figure probably.

Technically if you're good enough you can beat the whole game before the rescue ship shows up.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

LionArcher posted:

There’s a place called the Mushroom Forest; it’s pretty much what it says on tin. I found a ton of Cyclops parts scattered around on the seafloor there, and that zone’s wreck is pretty neat. It needs the repair tool for sure and maybe the laser cutter to fully break open.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Cartoon Man posted:

When you finally build a nuclear reactor, don’t bother building a nuclear waste disposal bin. Just chuck those spent fuel rods right in the ocean. Those jerks at Alterra don’t want you to know it’s a perfectly legal thrill.

If they don't want me dumping exhausted rods into the lava then they shouldn't have provided me with lava!

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

LionArcher posted:

Now where the hell is the cyclops hull fragments?

You can find anything you want behind the Aurora and out in the dunes. Those are the best areas for getting stuff early, but if you want a safe place you can cruise around the two mushroom forests. There are a few wandering bonesharks but otherwise it's nothing but friendly jellyrays

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Technically if you're good enough you can beat the whole game before the rescue ship shows up.

Does anything happen with that vis a vis defense towers being disabled?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think you explicitly have to fix that before ending the game.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Velius posted:

Does anything happen with that vis a vis defense towers being disabled?

The ship tells you it can't enter orbit because of space debris... presuming it doesn't bug out and get blasted anyways.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Taerkar posted:

The ship tells you it can't enter orbit because of space debris... presuming it doesn't bug out and get blasted anyways.

Watched a video of somebody doing this and the second thing still happens.

Also, thanks for the help. Hull fragment was in the mushroom forest. Now to upgrade the cyclops and start building second and 3rd bases… deep.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Anyone have a hard time getting into below zero after absolutely loving Subnautica? All of the gathering required at the end of the first one really left a bad taste in my mouth and it's hard to bring myself to want to play when it feels like a gathering simulator, way more so than the first.
Probably just have to push through long enough to get into the story, I guess. It's a shame because Subnautica was probably in my top 2 games of all time along with Outer Wilds.

Some of it is definitely that by the time you play below zero, you already know exactly what you need to survive, so it's obviously going to lose some of the magic that's there as you're figuring everything out the first time :(

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

zeldadude posted:

Anyone have a hard time getting into below zero after absolutely loving Subnautica? All of the gathering required at the end of the first one really left a bad taste in my mouth and it's hard to bring myself to want to play when it feels like a gathering simulator, way more so than the first.
Probably just have to push through long enough to get into the story, I guess. It's a shame because Subnautica was probably in my top 2 games of all time along with Outer Wilds.

Some of it is definitely that by the time you play below zero, you already know exactly what you need to survive, so it's obviously going to lose some of the magic that's there as you're figuring everything out the first time :(

The story is much weaker after the masterpiece of the first game. Others have posted here that the main writer was replaced halfway through development, it shows. The setup to the world and the introduction of the characters is great, but then it goes nowhere and the ending just kinda happens.

That said, I enjoyed it for the exploration, the building, and then dopamine hit when you unlock something new to build. I love all the underwater areas with the exception of the final crystal caves which felt rushed. The over land areas are all awful though…

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Below Zero is definitely much better about the resource grind, at least. Best of all, titanium ingots only require five pieces of titanium rather than ten. But in general the equivalent of building the rocket just doesn't need as much material.

The story is a total mess but the exploration is for the most part just as good. I even enjoyed most of the overland stuff (though I'm aware I'm in the minority here), except for the area with the ice worms.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I thought that it took far too LITTLE material to build all the components of the rocket, and felt that it should have taken more.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The story in below zero is a bit of a mess at times (I’m surprised they still haven’t fixed it), but overall I liked it. Especially compared to the first game that essentially didn’t have a story at all.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

My main problem with it was what felt like the lack of exploration and zones feeling really condensed. In the first one, I fumbled around until I made a big trip out to the aurora or something in a seamoth, and then would load up the cyclops later for an expedition that might run me into reapers. I never got that sense in BZ of actually needing to prepare for a trip in advance or that I was making a *journey* somewhere.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Yeah, BZ was a good game of course but neither that nor any other game has matched the feeling of preparing an expedition into a dangerous (or seemingly dangerous) remote location the same way the first Subnautica did. And the feeling of being able to carve out some stability and relative safety in a dangerous environment

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I forgot about this game for a bit, starting to get into it again. Started from scratch and it's nice to have a vague idea of where stuff generally is - while it's hardly speedrun time, being able to get a Seamoth up and running within the first hour or so is pretty nice. Think I'll roam around scanning all the cool base rooms first so I can make a nice sprawling megabase right off the bat.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I've had a bit too much on my hands since Christmas to continue playing, but I think BZ is a big improvement when it comes to discovering interesting sites as opposed to beautiful biomes. The first game didn't have enough of that. The Delgaso bases were great, but 30+ interchangeabe pieces of Aurora wreckage got old fast.

I like how the artifact sites in BZ progressively unlock more blueprints, that there are multiple abandoned bases with a clear function and narrative pieces, and the decades-old shipwreck as a big location to explore that doesn't overstay its welcome.

I don't like how circuitous and cramped the caves and surface areas are, just to pad playing time and make orientation difficult.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

My daughter asked me, and I had never even thought about it...but is the sea dragon in the lava zone the male to the female sea empress that is trapped in the final base? they look very similar and it would explain why she is trapped down there and they are so angry trying to get to her. . Or is it never said.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

badjohny posted:

My daughter asked me, and I had never even thought about it...but is the sea dragon in the lava zone the male to the female sea empress that is trapped in the final base? they look very similar and it would explain why she is trapped down there and they are so angry trying to get to her. . Or is it never said.

They're completely separate and the Leviathan at the end is the very last adult with only the eggs left. The ones outside in the lava zones are different models as well

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Limmys playing it again.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

If I recall correctly all life on the planet is hermaphroditic. Which is why you can put any two of the same creature in an alient containment to get them multiplying.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The sea dragon iirc was the initial model for the sea emperor so that's where the similarity comes from.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Heading over to the Aurora to take a look around and all of a sudden my Seamoth wont stay in a straight line.
Pissing me off because I really didnt want to have to buy a mouse right now (i mean if i'm going to get one I may as well get a good one).
By the time I got there I had worked out how much to spend and what to buy.
Only to discover that somewhere along the way Floaters had somehow gotten attached to the Seamoth making it tilt forward.

Saved $50.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I love Ben Prunty, one of my favorite composers for game music. Loved his work on Celeste, Into the Breach, and FTL. Some of the music worked decently in BZ, but the soundtrack was a huge miss for me because it didn't make my skin crawl like the first game. I mean listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQpoLOb1jB0

The whole BZ experience was missing that horror-movie feel. Great game, enjoyed it immensely as a normal game, but OG subnautica was on the next level. I very much hope they lean into the Alien Isolation style gameplay where you are bracing for the jump scare that never comes. I want to feel the pure panic of having a mile of black water below my feet.

In defense of Ben Prunty, who does rule, here is a track of his. Into The Breach didn't blow up like FTL, but I think its one of my all time favorite OSTs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfE0MO2BhVs

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Yeah very few game soundtracks can make me feel things as strongly as Subnautica's does. I remember when I got to the lost river tree cove for the first time and intense music kicked in and I was so scared for my loving life. I was certain I was about to be jumped by some terrifying new monster. Come to find out that there's basically nothing that can hurt you there :v:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

zeldadude posted:

Yeah very few game soundtracks can make me feel things as strongly as Subnautica's does. I remember when I got to the lost river tree cove for the first time and intense music kicked in and I was so scared for my loving life. I was certain I was about to be jumped by some terrifying new monster. Come to find out that there's basically nothing that can hurt you there :v:

Nothing except yourself which is still a credible threat.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Nothing except yourself which is still a credible threat.

very true, pretty sure later in that very trip I realized I didn't bring nearly enough water, food or power cells and made a mad dash for the surface, scavenging the few fish I found along the way back up. Just barely made it to the surface before dying :v:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

zeldadude posted:

Just barely made it to the surface before dying :v:

That could be the thread title.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The music in the jellyshroom cave is almost perfect for that weird biome.

I saw a Kerbal Space Program video a while back where someone built a huge underwater base, and set the whole video to Subnautica music. It’s actually what inspired me to pick up the game.

https://youtu.be/5uPMcEdA5wc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

zeldadude posted:

very true, pretty sure later in that very trip I realized I didn't bring nearly enough water, food or power cells and made a mad dash for the surface, scavenging the few fish I found along the way back up. Just barely made it to the surface before dying :v:
I have lost track of how many times I have forgotten like an idiot that the tree cove floor depth is ever so slightly past the Prawn default depth (I forget if that is still an issue).

"There, I made it-turn around, turn around!"