Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Emetic Hustler posted:

The Tusken tribe better show up in the finale with chopped up speeder bikes.

I can't imagine any other way this is meant to go. Boba needs a power base bigger than two pig dudes, can't trust anyone but that tribe he's bow at least honorarily part of. Unless the finale of the flashback sequence is them all getting massacred and Boba shrugging and wondering "Welp, better get back to town," this is what it's leading towards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If that's the case I just really wish we'd gotten more than half an episode where they were antagonistic to him.

AndyElusive posted:

Holy loving poo poo that rules.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I had that picture on my wall when I was 12, really iconic in my mind. I wish they'd been able to get the sunset in there, but just having a nod at all is enough to give my brain a modicum of fan service dopamine.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Look at this doughy balding gently caress, what a loser

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

“Hutts are fat and look easy to kill why are they in charge”

Like yeah most old white dudes are fat and easy to kill too but look who runs things. It ain’t because of physical prowess.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
It all started when Ross, the largest Friend, simply ate the other five.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I like how in Marvel comics nearly every mob boss does have powers or abilities of some kind.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Killer robot posted:

It all started when Ross, the largest Friend, simply ate the other five.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Hazo posted:

Look at this doughy balding gently caress, what a loser

I understand exactly what everyone is saying, but it's not like Capone was in a Macy's Day parade every time he wanted to talk to people.
I like the show, it's just a minor dumb nitpick I have.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Hazo posted:

I don't think this was posted but it's rad as gently caress

My brain told me "you've seen that structure somewhere before", but I told myself they must have just recycled a bit of Jakku scenery from The Force Awakens or something, and that's where I knew it from.

This is amazing.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Anita Dickinme posted:

Also I love the idea of a buff rear end Hutt. Imagining them being such dangerous creatures but easily susceptible to gluttonous behavior having achieving power.

Godamnit, this has triggered a half-memory of a Star Wars parody thing featuring a Hutt in a baseball cap who spent all his time working out. And now I'm going crazy trying to work out if that's an actual thing I actually saw or a Hulk Hogan Meat Shoes situation.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Hutts have vast amounts of wealth. They have large families and enough people willing to do their bidding for a profit that simply killing them doesn't solve your problem.

Which makes me wonder how Bibb Fortuna was able to keep control of Jabba's empire for so long without getting into the problems Boba is.

Did he simply Weekend at Bernie's the charred remains of Jabba or make everyone think he was alive but recluse?

Give me the Book of Bibb Fortuna prequel series.

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure I had that picture on my wall when I was 12, really iconic in my mind. I wish they'd been able to get the sunset in there, but just having a nod at all is enough to give my brain a modicum of fan service dopamine.

I didn't have the poster, but this quintessential mcquarrie tusken raider art was definitely ingrained into me at some point in my youth through RPG source books, collectable cards and magazines.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

AndyElusive posted:

Hutts have vast amounts of wealth. They have large families and enough people willing to do their bidding for a profit that simply killing them doesn't solve your problem.

Which makes me wonder how Bibb Fortuna was able to keep control of Jabba's empire for so long without getting into the problems Boba is.

Did he simply Weekend at Bernie's the charred remains of Jabba or make everyone think he was alive but recluse?

Give me the Book of Bibb Fortuna prequel series.

From the sounds of the conversation they had, the twins should have inherited and taken over Jabba's stuff but chose to stay on Nal Hutta and now just finally decided to put down the lavish lifestyle and take over the crimework of Tatooine.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Was it stated that Bib was his own boss and not just kicking up to the Hutts who let him operate in jabbas place or is that just what Boba assumes?

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Jerkface posted:

are resistant to force shenanigans

I think it is so incredibly dumb that this has become a thing. Being resistant to the Force is one of those things that, like, you maybe kinda have to do in a video game but makes no sense in universe.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Vitruvian Manic posted:

I think it is so incredibly dumb that this has become a thing. Being resistant to the Force is one of those things that, like, you maybe kinda have to do in a video game but makes no sense in universe.

watto is also resistant to force shenanigans

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Not being weak-minded doesn't mean you're resistant to the force. Just means you can't be mind-tricked by space wizards.

Burning_Monk posted:

From the sounds of the conversation they had, the twins should have inherited and taken over Jabba's stuff but chose to stay on Nal Hutta and now just finally decided to put down the lavish lifestyle and take over the crimework of Tatooine.

Ah ok, I missed this detail.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

CornHolio posted:

Are the Ewok Adventures considered canon?

Speaking of Ewoks, I found a picture of myself hanging out with an Ewok at either Universal Studios or Walt Disney World circa 1991. Not sure which had a Star Wars attraction back then. (edit: Star Tours, at Disney World way before they bought it)

I really hope their costumes have gotten better.

They're not officially canon, no. But there's nothing in them that conflicts with anything, and it explains a couple things, like the log traps, and possibly why the Ewoks had a dress for Leia, so why the hell not?

Also, awesome picture! That would be Walt Disney World. MGM Studios at the time, Hollywood Studios now, since MGM got the gently caress out of there a while ago. Star Tours is still there, right where it was. They didn't move it into, or even include it in, their Star Wars area in the same park, so it could stay OT themed.

The ride itself has changed, though. They updated it, and made it so they can add new planets to the ride easily, which they do sometimes.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 7, 2022

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Vitruvian Manic posted:

One of the first Vader comics after Marvel took over from Dark Horse shows Vader force-choking Jabba. Seems like he's only immune to mind tricks.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Dave Syndrome posted:

One of the first Vader comics after Marvel took over from Dark Horse shows Vader force-choking Jabba. Seems like he's only immune to mind tricks.

I mean, that makes sense, right? Mind tricks are influencing your thoughts and pushing them one way or another, and you could in theory resist that. But your wind pipe is just a thing that can be crushed.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The Force isn't even confirmed to offer telekinesis as one of your spell slots till ESB: Everything that happens Force-wise in ANH could be explained by telepathy/clairvoyance. Vader just making Moti THINK he's choking, Luke just reaching out to perceive the perfect time to launch etc.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Force resistance to mind tricks is such a dumb thing that the EU takes too literally. Ben fools the stormtroopers because they're unthinking cogs in the machine. Luke fools Bib Fortuna because he's an rear end kissing yes man who doesn't do anything on his own. He can't fool Jabba because Jabba is a savvy businessman and gangster who needs to be crafty to get where he is.

But instead it's rendered down to Jabba having a high willpower save.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Owlbear Camus posted:

If they don't get Craven from Auralnauts to voice trip zero I'm gonna be cross.

This is exactly what I am hoping for. :pray:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought the Ithorian mayor was cool, and the VA was fairly menacing for the tone and timbre he had. Anyone know the actor?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

zoux posted:

I thought the Ithorian mayor was cool, and the VA was fairly menacing for the tone and timbre he had. Anyone know the actor?

Wasn’t it Robert Rodriguez?

EDIT: Yep, it was:

Dave Syndrome posted:

Sorry about the low quality. The credits list both Camie and Fixer.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Owlbear Camus posted:

The Force isn't even confirmed to offer telekinesis as one of your spell slots till ESB: Everything that happens Force-wise in ANH could be explained by telepathy/clairvoyance. Vader just making Moti THINK he's choking, Luke just reaching out to perceive the perfect time to launch etc.

True, but after ESB added telekinesis, it's the easier explanation for the Force choke. But either explanation works.

Arc Hammer posted:

Force resistance to mind tricks is such a dumb thing that the EU takes too literally. Ben fools the stormtroopers because they're unthinking cogs in the machine. Luke fools Bib Fortuna because he's an rear end kissing yes man who doesn't do anything on his own. He can't fool Jabba because Jabba is a savvy businessman and gangster who needs to be crafty to get where he is.

But instead it's rendered down to Jabba having a high willpower save.

To be fair, George Lucas is guilty of this himself in TPM.

quote:

QUI-GON : I don't have anything else. (raising his hand) But credits will
do fine.
WATTO : No they won'ta. QUI-GON, using his mind power, waves his hand
again.
QUI-GON : Credits will do fine.
WATTO : No, they won'ta. What you think you're some kinda Jedi, waving your
hand around like that? I'm a Toydarian. Mind tricks don'ta work on me-only
money. No money, no parts! No deal! And no one else has a T-14 hyperdrive,
I promise you that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

fartknocker posted:

Wasn’t it Robert Rodriguez?

EDIT: Yep, it was:

Oh wow, cool. I had no idea what he sounded like, but I sure didn't think he sounded like that.

I think one of the reasons that BK was so striking in this episode is that he had huge humanlike eyes that I don't think I've ever seen a Wookie with before. It's a great change.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

thrawn527 posted:

That doesn't have to be interpreted as something inherent in the species, though. Could just be boasting, like if Qui-Gon had tried to pass off Kraft Macaroni & Cheese as great pasta and Watto went "Ayy, I'm Italian. No amount of mind-tricking is gonna tell me that's pasta. You like hand gestures? So do we. Here's one of my favourites..."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

thrawn527 posted:

True, but after ESB added telekinesis, it's the easier explanation for the Force choke. But either explanation works.

Watto struck me the same way as Jabba. He's a schemer and Qui Gon was so used to getting his way with Jedi tricks that it was amusing for it to get tossed back in his face. You don't need a wookieepedia article explaining that Toydarians have a natural force resistance because they're greedy.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Lobok posted:

That doesn't have to be interpreted as something inherent in the species, though. Could just be boasting, like if Qui-Gon had tried to pass off Kraft Macaroni & Cheese as great pasta and Watto went "Ayy, I'm Italian. No amount of mind-tricking is gonna tell me that's pasta. You like hand gestures? So do we. Here's one of my favourites..."

Italian Spider-Man please make an appearance inside a Tattooine cantina please.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Help I looked on youtube for a Robert Rodriguez video so I could hear his voice and now I'm watching him interview John Carpenter for an hour

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

This is exactly what I am hoping for. :pray:

"Triple-Zero is a wantonly violent psychopath who wants nothing but the worst for everyone he meets. I, on the other hand, am simply very very very very very misunderstood."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scWuiXAwDA8

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Lobok posted:

Arc Hammer posted:

Watto struck me the same way as Jabba. He's a schemer and Qui Gon was so used to getting his way with Jedi tricks that it was amusing for it to get tossed back in his face. You don't need a wookieepedia article explaining that Toydarians have a natural force resistance because they're greedy.

It's possible, but you have to literally assume the text in the script is a lie. Which, again, sure, possible. Or the movie is just telling you the truth, that mind tricks don't work on Toydarians.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Nah. You merely have to assume the character is not speaking with robotic literality and is instead invoking a stereotype.

Lest we fall into the pit of thinking because Leia said Tarkin stunk when mouthing off he must literally have a Space Illness that makes him smell bad-- a real thing from the old EU.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

thrawn527 posted:

It's possible, but you have to literally assume the text in the script is a lie. Which, again, sure, possible. Or the movie is just telling you the truth, that mind tricks don't work on Toydarians.

Seems like the kind of question that George would answer sarcastically and then the canon minions would treat his joke as gospel.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

the force persuasion stuff is akin to just being a fast/smooth talker so you can kind of get the interpretation that "oh these guys are just dumb so Obi tricks them" but he also does very little actual persuasion or fast talking and waves his hand so the movie itself is telling you its magic. The force literally does something to their brain that lets his half assed "not these droids" work. The force is magic and the movies tell us that there are at least 2 creatures if not races of creatures that the magic doesn't work on.

Thats just the way it goes as depicted on screen :shrug:

i like the interpretation that jabba and watto are just hardcore schemers so they can't be fooled, its fun, but I think the broader interpretation makes more sense given whats on screen. (like the force is definitely magic, telekinesis and super speed and super jumping are all possible with the force)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Seems like the kind of question that George would answer sarcastically and then the canon minions would treat his joke as gospel.

Coming to Disney+ 2023: Darth Icky

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

thrawn527 posted:

I'm just saying that what Watto said is not an ironclad thing if you want leeway to interpret force resistance. "The script" and "the movie" are just other ways of saying Lucas' intent, and if you want to respect that, I get it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Owlbear Camus posted:

this is wild. the idea that he was making the admiral think he was being choked has never occured to me, even when i was first seeing it as a kid. tarkin's "release him" always felt pretty definitive that vader was actually doing it

as an aside, i may have said it before but i think that actor's choking but is really underappreciated as the reason why the force is taken so seriously until the vader fight in esb

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

site posted:

this is wild. the idea that he was making the admiral think he was being choked has never occured to me, even when i was first seeing it as a kid. tarkin's "release him" always felt pretty definitive that vader was actually doing it

I don't disagree, but I think you could have the alternate read of it until TK is confirmed in the Wampa den.

If reddit existed in 81 imagine the dorks mad that they're just inventing new force powers that the protagonist automagically learns with no training. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You can “release” someone from an illusion as well though!

I’ll admit though I never thought of the interpretation that it might simply be a mental trick. It’s a pretty rad interpretation IMO.