Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I guess people generally don't hit the second 't' hard in 'twenty' but they do in the word 'plenty'? That's all I got, I'm confused too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The vowel sounds in twenty (twunny) and plenty (pleh-nny) don't match.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I definitely pronounce it “twunny”, not TWEHN-tee. I’m from a state adjacent to WV so maybe it’s an east coast thing or my regional accent

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I've never heard anyone pronounce it this way so it must be a regional thing.

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009
Twenty Twenty Tunes - Play the Good Stuff

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I clip show of mildly edgy comedy is a real twist.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Colonel Whitey posted:

I've never heard anyone pronounce it this way so it must be a regional thing.

New York City over here. I'll admit it's regional, but it's the correct region.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

New York City over here. I'll admit it's regional, but it's the correct region.

typical coastal elite

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

AndrewP posted:

I definitely pronounce it “twunny”, not TWEHN-tee. I’m from a state adjacent to WV so maybe it’s an east coast thing or my regional accent

Yeah, I'm from Chicago and I say "twenny", "plenny", and "funny"

It's not a problem I just thought it was funny

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
funty

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah I felt like I was having a stroke listening to that episode hearing them dismiss "penny" as not a real rhyme and then going with "funny". I can hear it if I concentrate very hard on them saying it but auditory processing vs accents is wild.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Organza Quiz posted:

Yeah I felt like I was having a stroke listening to that episode hearing them dismiss "penny" as not a real rhyme and then going with "funny". I can hear it if I concentrate very hard on them saying it but auditory processing vs accents is wild.

In my linguistics class the lecturer told us how people with my accent don't differentiate "el" and "al" (eg Ellen and Alan are the same) and it's driven me crazy ever since.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

aaron earned an iron urn

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/justinmcelroy/status/1478531699311063043?s=21

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Aw poo poo Justin has done it now all the little caesars are gonna be pisssssed

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Alaois posted:

aaron earned an iron urn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9G9o4yNjwo

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

i changed my mind about travis's character. When he finds the character and relies less on the accent i genuinely like the character and think hes pretty fun

edit: holy poo poo the littlest baby gag and phantom sea coast co

Sankis fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jan 5, 2022

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/1479131070469750785?t=Hc56Fc9t4L2QaMyrVa9cQw&s=19

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Todays TAZ was fun

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i appreciate how griffin completely invalidated all fan art on two of the three main characters lol

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

QuoProQuid posted:

i appreciate how griffin completely invalidated all fan art on two of the three main characters lol

I don't follow taz fan art or really any part of taz fandom but what happened?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Also the giant plankton in a tank is basically voidfish 2.0.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I disagree. I do not expect intimate friendships with plankton.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Shinjobi posted:

I disagree. I do not expect intimate friendships with plankton.

I forgot they hosed the voidfish.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
2022 big dogs poo

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I'm your middlest brother Travis big dog fart fart

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Gottem

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Bip Roberts posted:

I don't follow taz fan art or really any part of taz fandom but what happened?

oh, it’s nbd really. a lot of the fan depictions of the trio before this episode tended to depict them with very fishy features—with devo specifically having cat whiskers and poo poo due to the plague that went around during the prologue.

this episode states explicitly that the fish features only afflicted a fraction of the population and that none of the main characters had it—until they accidentally brought the plague back and infected the entire undersea colony with it. devo gets some gross throat fins and Amber gets enormous fish eyes and they’ll presumably get more fish poo poo the longer the crisis goes unresolved

Bip Roberts posted:

Also the giant plankton in a tank is basically voidfish 2.0.

The plankton is almost certainly dead given the plague broke through

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Mr. Krabs finally has his revenge!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
hmm sounds as though they might have to save the world

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

drat, I would have bet money that Zoox would turn out to be Phineas

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Empty Sandwich posted:

hmm sounds as though they might have to save the world

Actually Founder's Wake dies and we smash cut to the guys who sealed themselves inside a mountain, who face zero hardships

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Presenting, the mcelroys new hit series where they return to dungeons and dragons-

The Adventure Zone: Ethermount

Its a lot about growing mushrooms and being so pale you're see through but are otherwise pretty good. There are also coral golems but for entirely unrelated reasons

edit: are the naval rules griffin uses something he adapted from dnd that exists or did he make it?

Sankis fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jan 10, 2022

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sankis posted:

edit: are the naval rules griffin uses something he adapted from dnd that exists or did he make it?

He developed the ship/ship combat rules. There are ship rules in Ghosts of Saltmarsh but my understanding is that they're kinda garbage.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

I believe there's a stream where he and Brennan Lee Mulligan come up with the rules together?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Pladdicus posted:

I believe there's a stream where he and Brennan Lee Mulligan come up with the rules together?

I think he had mostly come up with them already and the stream was him just going over it with Brennan. Maybe a bit of tuning?

e: https://youtu.be/Agi0-9fKehU

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

can someone actually listening confirm for me if (most recent ep spoilers) Griffin's really about to do a "a pandemic threatens our oxygen supply" arc?

because that is so funny to me I might actually start listening to ethersea

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Valentin posted:

can someone actually listening confirm for me if (most recent ep spoilers) Griffin's really about to do a "a pandemic threatens our oxygen supply" arc?

Yes, because Clint rolled a 1 on the random encounter table of 100 possibilities that Griffin made

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’m just assuming Grif started playing Fallout 76 over the pandemic. I wonder if this was the original plan for a 1 or if he pivoted into the current problem.

That aside I’m really enjoying the weekly cadence for episodes. Keeps things snappy and folks can only bitch about a given issue for so long before they move along. Makes me miss my groups weekly sessions before current affairs started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Valentin posted:

Stroop There It Is posted:

Yes, because Clint rolled a 1 on the random encounter table of 100 possibilities that Griffin made

Doing the Quiet Year has really paid off, I think. Because this doesn't feel like some random modern commentary that Griffin wants to make. It's a consequence of rolling that 1 and of course it's the terrible plague the they invented months ago that was already established in universe.