Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
My copy of the IDW Batman game finally showed up. loving wild how much poo poo I have for AUGS now. Now to rope some people into playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Echophonic posted:

My copy of the IDW Batman game finally showed up. loving wild how much poo poo I have for AUGS now. Now to rope some people into playing.

Yep, same. Real shame the ride is over, the fact that the next set was ATLA is pretty crushing.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

When a KS says it's using friendly shipping and then doesn't, so you get hit with customs/brokerage fees, do you just pay it and hope for a refund?

On a related note, I don't think PSC Games is ever getting me again.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

rchandra posted:

When a KS says it's using friendly shipping and then doesn't, so you get hit with customs/brokerage fees, do you just pay it and hope for a refund?

Its never happened to me, but that sounds like the only real approach. If you don't pay the fees it'll just get returned to the sender, and then you'll potentially be out of your pledge as well as your money. Sucks, but they have you over a barrel a bit.

In most instances where it was promised to be covered I usually see them issue refunds to people after the fact. It's usually a goof that has sideswiped them rather than anything malicious or deliberate.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.

theironjef posted:

Yep, same. Real shame the ride is over, the fact that the next set was ATLA is pretty crushing.

What are you guys talking about, with the "augs", "atla" stuff?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

yegods posted:

What are you guys talking about, with the "augs", "atla" stuff?

AUGS was the IDW game series for their TMNT and Batman board games. It's a co-op skirmish game for up to 4v1 or 4 v Card-driven AI battles, with campaign modes available. Had a fairly neat mechanic to roll combat dice at the start of the turn and then share dice with the player on either side of you to breed a little teamwork. Fun minis and a lot of neat characters from pretty deep dives into either IDW TMNT (so comics characters like Alopex and Angel Bridge) or the old Batman cartoon (characters like Gray Ghost and Maxie Zeus and so on). They were also fully compatible with each other so you could have Casey Jones and the Phantasm team up to fight Baxter Stockman and Mister Freeze.

Past tense because IDW is out of the board game business now. ATLA stands for the game they had announced before pulling up the stakes, an AUGS version of Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Not associated with the game or the people involved but I am excited that OOO Games will be launching a reprint / refresh of Bloc by Bloc on Gamefound on February 15.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Ropes4u posted:

Not associated with the game or the people involved but I am excited that OOO Games will be launching a reprint / refresh of Bloc by Bloc on Gamefound on February 15.

I don't know if there were any mechanical changes since the playtest I played, but this game is pretty bad. I'd maybe even say unplayably bad, but definitely at least on the "why would I ever play this over [better game]" tier of bad. The better game here would probably be Spirit Island.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't know if there were any mechanical changes since the playtest I played, but this game is pretty bad. I'd maybe even say unplayably bad, but definitely at least on the "why would I ever play this over [better game]" tier of bad. The better game here would probably be Spirit Island.

Reading that makes me sad, I wanted to overthrow the system without actually going to jail.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Kickstarter-related: due to general blockchain-related backlash and a few other factors, my publisher Gallant Knight Games is trying to launch their own alternative to Kickstarter preorder/crowd funding. Geek Native wrote up an article about it here:

https://www.geeknative.com/138033/gallant-knight-games-launches-gallantfunding-as-discontent-with-kickstarter-grows/

Considering how much indie companies rely on Kickstarter, and how ineffective the alternatives have proven so far, this is kind of a scary thing for a small indie company to do. But he says that he is just testing the waters for now.

I wonder how many folks realize just how important Kickstarter is to the indie scene. There are many alternatives, but in spite of them all, there really is no competitor with the same reach, promo tools, and sheer customer base. Makes it financially hard to take a principled stand.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

theironjef posted:

AUGS was the IDW game series for their TMNT and Batman board games. It's a co-op skirmish game for up to 4v1 or 4 v Card-driven AI battles, with campaign modes available. Had a fairly neat mechanic to roll combat dice at the start of the turn and then share dice with the player on either side of you to breed a little teamwork. Fun minis and a lot of neat characters from pretty deep dives into either IDW TMNT (so comics characters like Alopex and Angel Bridge) or the old Batman cartoon (characters like Gray Ghost and Maxie Zeus and so on). They were also fully compatible with each other so you could have Casey Jones and the Phantasm team up to fight Baxter Stockman and Mister Freeze.

Past tense because IDW is out of the board game business now. ATLA stands for the game they had announced before pulling up the stakes, an AUGS version of Avatar: The Last Airbender.

I hadn't considered but getting out of the board game business seems to have been an early indicator things are Not Good for IDW.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Spookyelectric posted:

I wonder how many folks realize just how important Kickstarter is to the indie scene. There are many alternatives, but in spite of them all, there really is no competitor with the same reach, promo tools, and sheer customer base. Makes it financially hard to take a principled stand.

Yeah, the Spirit Island digital surely got a lot less funding due to being on Indiegogo (KS was having union disputes and Handelabra decided they didn't want to be there).

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
I recently saw some tweets from an indie company about that (of course I can't find it now...). They were saying that they use multiple fundraising sites and sell their game on many platforms (like itch, DriveThru, and so on). And that all those sales combined usually represent less than 15% of what they make on the game's initial Kickstarter. That plus the fulfillment tools on other sites are generally not-so-hot.

If it was just a matter of making "a little less money," then it would be easier to do the moral thing. But when other creatives depend on the income, and the survival of the company is potentially on the line...

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Spookyelectric posted:

I recently saw some tweets from an indie company about that (of course I can't find it now...). They were saying that they use multiple fundraising sites and sell their game on many platforms (like itch, DriveThru, and so on). And that all those sales combined usually represent less than 15% of what they make on the game's initial Kickstarter. That plus the fulfillment tools on other sites are generally not-so-hot.

That sounds about right to me as a tiny indie designer. The KS for Pigsmoke made about £8K, and in the 4 years since its general release it's made about £2700 everywhere else, and that's pretty successful. Bleak Spirit made about £11K on Kickstarter/Backerkit and in the two years since it went on general sale has made about £500 (which is notably bad, so probably due to something else). Sunlands is £900/£100 in eighteen months, more or less.

I'm lucky in that RPGs aren't my primary source of income, so I can afford to jump ship to less good crowdfunding sites, but if you need that KS income to stay afloat... poo poo sucks.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

Dawgstar posted:

I hadn't considered but getting out of the board game business seems to have been an early indicator things are Not Good for IDW.

Yeah, I don't really follow IDW stuff beyond seeing pages of the Transformers comics posted around online, but I've just kept hearing that they've been steadily imploding for the last year or so.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Van Ryder just announced the movies for Final Girl Series 2, which launches on the 11th. The new scenarios and killers are inspired by Alien, The Thing, The Strangers, a typical Werewolf movie, and in a bit of a left turn, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
What kind of hideous NFTs are they doing for this one

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

Jedit posted:

Van Ryder just announced the movies for Final Girl Series 2, which launches on the 11th. The new scenarios and killers are inspired by Alien, The Thing, The Strangers, a typical Werewolf movie, and in a bit of a left turn, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

I got in all my Series 1 stuff right before the holidays so I haven't had a chance to get it to the table yet. The vhs style box system is really clever, but Series 1 is already taking up a ton of space. I really hope they offer the comprehensive storage box they've talked about on BGG with Series 2 and not wait until a potential(inevitable) Series 3+.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

What kind of hideous NFTs are they doing for this one

God only knows. Still, at least they're conferring benefits on the NFT owners beyond pretending to own pixels, like entry into prize draws.

Regarding the comprehensive storage box: it won't be comprehensive. It's just going to be a holder box that stores eight VHS-sized boxes (core box, 5 movies, minis and misc junk) plus the playmats, and that will fit into one Kallax space.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Well having tried the BTAS game is a definite improvement over TMNT. Somewhat cleaner, powers make more sense, and pet control is better integrated. Honestly just getting rid of respawning foot ninjas was going to make the game better.

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader
My copy of Western Empires from the Eastern Empires kickstarter just arrived after I'd forgotten I even bought it. An alarmingly heavy box, I'm not sure I'm ever going to convince enough people to get this game to the table but it's nice to have as a goal.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jedit posted:

God only knows. Still, at least they're conferring benefits on the NFT owners beyond pretending to own pixels, like entry into prize draws.

That's just selling overpriced raffle tickets but worse

e: wait a second

Can they say necromorph? Isn't that name owned by whoever owns Dead Space?

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 7, 2022

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

FirstAidKite posted:

Can they say necromorph? Isn't that name owned by whoever owns Dead Space?

Van Ryder is going to have to funge so many tokens to EA's lawyers.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Magnetic North posted:

Van Ryder is going to have to funge so many tokens to EA's lawyers.

Nah, they'll just change the name.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Has crowdfunding started dying for boardgames or is there some non Kickstarter platform that they're all going to?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Most of the projects I see are still on KS because they were planned out months ago and the creators don't want to try and pull a hard corner to a new site right before launch. Combine with the fact that KS is still dominant in the crowdfunding sphere, and I think it'll be a few months before we start to see if there's any sort of exodus.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

It just seems like there's been much less out there over the last six months. It could just be a general downturn in Kickstarter enthusiasm

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Mojo Jojo posted:

It just seems like there's been much less out there over the last six months. It could just be a general downturn in Kickstarter enthusiasm

There's a ton of disruption in the supply chain and prices are off the hook for stuff like paper and cardboard. Might just be people trying to wait until that settles down so they have a better chance of funding.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

zedar posted:

My copy of Western Empires from the Eastern Empires kickstarter just arrived after I'd forgotten I even bought it. An alarmingly heavy box, I'm not sure I'm ever going to convince enough people to get this game to the table but it's nice to have as a goal.

Just looked it up on BGG and it looks pretty darn cool! I could never get a 5 player, 12 hour game to the table though. I don't actually know many who could. A lot of gaming groups or folks that do board game nights don't even have the ability to invest the time, energy, sobriety required to bring this to the table. And BGG says it plays best with 7 or 9.

I imagine it would end up like all my absurd big games (looking at you WiF) in which I just play all the sides and enjoy the mechanics in a solitaire game spread over the course of a month. It does look really awesome though.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
On the other hand, there hasn't appeared to be a drastic change in overall backers. Folks seem to be backing at generally the same numbers. Or so I've been told.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Mojo Jojo posted:

The United States is in the middle of a significant economic recession with wages that, despite seeing some movement after years of stagnation, aren't keeping pace with the perpetually inflating costs of basic things needed to live. The UK is still discovering the implications of Brexit.

Just sayin'.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Father Wendigo posted:

The United States is in the middle of a significant economic recession with wages that, despite seeing some movement after years of stagnation, aren't keeping pace with the perpetually inflating costs of basic things needed to live

but the stock mar-

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
KS backing will probably fall off a bit when they move to their blockchain gubbins.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The zinequest thing is particularly stupid because people will have been preparing for it already, right? It was practically here. What are they going to do, hold on to the content they've written and the art they've produced and/or paid for until August?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
There's a push to do a sort of unofficial official thing in February called Zimo, where people just do zines in February like they planned to. I might join in, but I'm moved to create other stuff right now.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
What comes to mind...

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Call of Killforth (ending today) is the most successful KS out of any of Hall Productions' crowdfunding projects, so it's really a land of contrasts.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

KS backing will probably fall off a bit when they move to their blockchain gubbins.

Hot take: as publishers become more conservative due to pandemic woes KS will maintain market share if not grow despite blockchain dumbness

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Yeah, I don't really expect any of KS's stupidity to meaningfully negatively impact them unless they really spang up the actual right-in-your-eyeball user experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

The zinequest thing is particularly stupid because people will have been preparing for it already, right? It was practically here. What are they going to do, hold on to the content they've written and the art they've produced and/or paid for until August?

What has happened to zinequest? With the pandemic making shipping so expensive and challenging, pdf zines are the only thing I've really backed in the last few years.