Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm looking for something incredibly dumb and specific, there's a screenshot from coverage (back when that was a thing) where Marshall, LSV and I think EFro are lined up and it looks like a de-evolution progress chart because Marshall is immaculate in a well-fitting suit, LSV looks fine, and EFro looks completely rumpled and his jacket doesn't fit at all. Does anyone know the photo I'm talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Entropic posted:

I'm looking for something incredibly dumb and specific, there's a screenshot from coverage (back when that was a thing) where Marshall, LSV and I think EFro are lined up and it looks like a de-evolution progress chart because Marshall is immaculate in a well-fitting suit, LSV looks fine, and EFro looks completely rumpled and his jacket doesn't fit at all. Does anyone know the photo I'm talking about?

I remember it vividly but also can't find it.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I remember it vividly but also can't find it.

Same.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Entropic posted:

I gotcha. It is a well dressed Marshall, normal Ian Duke, then a rumpled Efro - Pro Tour Magic Origins during the top 8 when they’re talking about the player of the year race. The video of it is actually pretty amusing since efro just has been knocked out of the top slot for player of the year so it’s kinda a live reaction to it

https://youtu.be/MMQXfegqGEk?t=17616

And the image
https://m.imgur.com/a/s0YF5Xj

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

lol that’s the exact image I was looking for, thanks. I don’t know why I misremembered it as being LSV in the middle.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I still enjoy the fact he publicly shamed someone for not conceding to him while also dodging a ban for the behavior. “Concede equity” indeed.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

I still enjoy the fact he publicly shamed someone for not conceding to him while also dodging a ban for the behavior. “Concede equity” indeed.

https://strategy.channelfireball.com/all-strategy/mtg/channelmagic-articles/11th-in-houston-with-jeskai-black/

truly incredible poo poo

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

quote:

I absolutely have no expectation of someone conceding to me. Everyone can do what’s best for them. For many people, conceding is actually what’s best for them. It builds up good will where someone will go far out of their way to help you in the future. By attempting to dream crush, you can guarantee the opposite will happen. Players may go out of their way to try to dream crush you, knowing you will be doing it to them if the situation arises. For many fans of the game, they love this prospect since it’s the purest form of a Magic tournament where all results are earned on the battlefield. Realistically speaking, this can never actually happen. I don’t care enough about the competition to eliminate a good friend in a spot where I don’t need to and asking me to do so is just silly.

Lmao

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

"I absolutely have no expectation of someone conceding to me"

Turns out that was a lie!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
"it's best for you if you concede right here" sounds mildly threatening lol

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I am NOT mad but I will NEVER forget this.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I don't see how you square magic as a competitive spectator game and this "I scratch your back" poo poo.

"The Browns have chosen not to take the field against the Packers, as they can only play spoiler to their playoff wildcard slot with nothing to gain for themselves and wouldn't want to DrEaM CrUsH."

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

also the fun part that if you get a free concede and get in then someone else didn't get in. it could happen to you too

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
"I dreamcrushed Eric Froehlich and he got mad on the internet" is a great story to have in your quiver

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

considering the dude plays poker now makes me very suspicious of him soft playing w/ his friends in tournaments... wtf is this "concede because i'm well-known and i may return the favor" bullshit?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

considering the dude plays poker now makes me very suspicious of him soft playing w/ his friends in tournaments... wtf is this "concede because i'm well-known and i may return the favor" bullshit?

It was magics version of the good ol boys club. collusion was and probably still is a big part of high level magic.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I have no idea what the line between collusion and sportsmanship is in a card game or a sport, but happily I am terrible at both so it won’t affect me

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I'm not mad, look at this 800 word essay I wrote about how not mad I am

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Sickening posted:

this guy sounds like a bond villain

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

If you concede to me I promise to pay you in exposure

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

vegetables posted:

I have no idea what the line between collusion and sportsmanship is in a card game or a sport, but happily I am terrible at both so it won’t affect me

Im just a person on the internet, but i feel like if a coach of one football team went to the other and said "purposefully lose and i'll return the favor one day" that would be a scandal of some sort

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ilmucche posted:

"it's best for you if you concede right here" sounds mildly threatening lol

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

Im just a person on the internet, but i feel like if a coach of one football team went to the other and said "purposefully lose and i'll return the favor one day" that would be a scandal of some sort

Yes it would be. Pro sports teams tactically choose to not try their hardest to win at certain points during a season, like when they want to ensure their best players are rested or will absolutely not be injured when the team has made the playoffs but still has some regular season games left, or a team knows they aren't making the playoffs and begin to play their younger players with greater frequency to get them more experience and possibly get them a higher draft pick, but no team or coach would expect that this losing would bank them a favor of any kind with other teams. It's shady BS in MtG as well.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
The biggest thing about competitive magic that is a black box to me is people conceding matches. I know there are certain normal-sounding behaviors that aren't allowed, and the distinction between those behaviors and what is allowed is in how you phrase stuff sometimes. When I started, my very first official event was a Scars of Mirrodin pre-release, and I made it to top 2. I wanted to split the prizes for first and second evenly and was willing to still play if the other guy wanted to, but I guess that was explicitly disallowed by the rules. Every time I've tried to learn the rules around that stuff my eyes glaze over in a way that doesn't happen when I read about layers or whatever.

e: see also the Sumo scandal around secure fighters losing to guys that need one more win to be secure.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Owlbear Camus posted:

I don't see how you square magic as a competitive spectator game and this "I scratch your back" poo poo.

"The Browns have chosen not to take the field against the Packers, as they can only play spoiler to their playoff wildcard slot with nothing to gain for themselves and wouldn't want to DrEaM CrUsH."
I'm not trying to stay employed next season in magic so this isn't an audition.
Also yes teams rest their starters give reps to rookies when the season is out of reach

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

AngryBooch posted:

Yes it would be. Pro sports teams tactically choose to not try their hardest to win at certain points during a season, like when they want to ensure their best players are rested or will absolutely not be injured when the team has made the playoffs but still has some regular season games left, or a team knows they aren't making the playoffs and begin to play their younger players with greater frequency to get them more experience and possibly get them a higher draft pick, but no team or coach would expect that this losing would bank them a favor of any kind with other teams. It's shady BS in MtG as well.

Always remember Sabres fans cheering their losses as the tried to fail their way to Jack eichel

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I was trying to tee someone up for a Goldfinger joke but this is even better lol

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

it happened it sumo wrestling and was indeed a big scandal

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

When you put two entities in a competition where their incentives are not equal, you're going to end up with some sketchy results.

I read some book about this a long time time ago, it was basically Freakonomics but just about sports, had a lot of of it examples of this sort of thing. Stuff like the sumo scandal, points shaving, etc. I forget the name, but I'll see if I can find it over the weekend.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
It will always be a factor when there are different incentives for the two people in match. If I'm already qualified and you need to win the match to qualify, you are highly incentivized to get me to concede the match. It happens all over. My buddy did it for Melissa Detora at a PT because he wasn't going to go to the next one and giving her the match bumped her to gold for the year.

This is entirely separate from the intentional drawing that happens in the final few rounds.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

Also yes teams rest their starters give reps to rookies when the season is out of reach

Sure, but they still take the field and play the game, and it would be a headline-making scandal if they just forfeited hoping to build up goodwill so someone would do the same for them in a future season.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

AngryBooch posted:

Yeah there's a few things going on with pro football that make it not a great comparison. For one, every player on a losing team is still building a resume through play that may land them a spot on a better team when their current contract runs out (or if they can get traded). That's also true of coaching staff, and coaches are judged in part on their win/loss record. There's undoubtedly coaches who scraped by not being fired by turning in a 3-13 season instead of a 0-16 season. When the media narrative is "the players have given up on Coach" that's not great for Coach's career.

There have always been accusations of intentionally tanking for draft position, though. It's almost always impossible to prove. A new coach with a rebuilding team who is making questionable play calls, starting questionable players, etc. may be accused of tanking, but may reasonably argue they're experimenting, trying to find plays and player combinations that will work, giving players more on-field time just to improve skills, etc. For example I remember a couple years ago the Dolphins were roundly considered to be tanking for a 1st overall pick... and then they won some late season games and that accusation sort of vaporized.

All that said: lots of teams with secured playoff spots sit their starters in the last game of the season, and that's considered reasonable. A meaningless game that could let you rest your best guys for the actual important playoff match coming up next week is not one where you really want to risk your star quarterback. Is that really in the spirit of competition, to maybe give some marginal team a win they need to scrape into the playoffs? Ehh. Not enough for anyone to seriously contemplate rules against it. Teams are supposed to manage their rosters and players not just for each match, but for a whole season, and for future seasons. It'd probably be impossible to make rules for it anyway, because any team could claim a player is a bit banged up and can't play that week and who is going to prove otherwise, since all football players are constantly a bit banged up?

On that note, I'm not sure what you could do to totally eliminate collusion in Magic tournament play? Couldn't a player reasonably say "I looked at my cards and draws and the table state and decided I probably wasn't going to win" and even if you disagree, they could still say "I was confused and made a play error, I thought I saw X card in my hand but it was really Y" or whatever. If someone has a side-arrangement for money or something, and you caught them flagrantly making that arrangement, sure you could penalize it. I doubt tournament officials have the power and reach to seriously monitor for that, since it's so trivial to have private conversations anyway.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Arena now has it's own quirky MTGO style bug

https://twitter.com/Wizards_Help/status/1479558429513560068?s=20

Once again I am asking, how does something like this even happen?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Never change, Wizards.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Cactrot posted:

Seems clear that a Dracula Island and a regular Island are separate entities, like in MTGO, rather than the same entity with different appearance / decorations.

Dracula lands are probably missing some tag that gets checked to determine if a sideboard is valid as the client enters sideboarding.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

That really

*puts on Blade shades*

sucks

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

On that note, I'm not sure what you could do to totally eliminate collusion in Magic tournament play?

I mean the same thing could certainly work in Magic as your example of what keeps people from tanking in Football. If Elo actually mattered in Magic and every 100 Elo points gave scaling rewards at the end of every year, and tournaments worked such that events with very high stakes top 8s rewarded/penalized far more Elo for winning/losing, then people would have to care way more about winning every single game for their own personal benefit.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Ultima66 posted:

I mean the same thing could certainly work in Magic as your example of what keeps people from tanking in Football. If Elo actually mattered in Magic and every 100 Elo points gave scaling rewards at the end of every year, and tournaments worked such that events with very high stakes top 8s rewarded/penalized far more Elo for winning/losing, then people would have to care way more about winning every single game for their own personal benefit.

Elo rating used to matter for Player Rewards, and the end result was people getting their rating over certain thresholds and then just quitting for the month/season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Cactrot posted:

Arena now has it's own quirky MTGO style bug

https://twitter.com/Wizards_Help/status/1479558429513560068?s=20

One day they'll figure out how to greenuce the number of bugs in their development process.