Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I absolutely hate joining in progress map parties because it's usually "let's do all your maps and steal your poo poo then immediately disband" so seven people got to see twenty four maps, I got to see three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I'd known about a couple interactions (the moogles and, oddly, the Exdeath and Ghido one), but there's a lot I didn't. I found this 7-year-old Reddit thread that has a bunch, but being so old it's obviously out of date.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Begemot posted:

I've definitely seen tanks get up to like 7 or 8 vuln stacks.

Or DPS in the Hallway of Death in the Puppets Bunker, that one's fun because most of the attacks don't do very much damage, but they ALL give vuln stacks.

Seeing someone not running to break the ink lines from the second boss of Sirensong is always something.

Ok cool well you have 12 vuln stacks now. Good luck!

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Kurieg posted:

I absolutely hate joining in progress map parties because it's usually "let's do all your maps and steal your poo poo then immediately disband" so seven people got to see twenty four maps, I got to see three.

It might be worth checking out your data center's hunt discord. Crytal's has a section for maps, and you can set a role for yourself that'll notify you if you're interested in getting a ping whenever someone uses it to look for a group.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Vitamean posted:

why'd you step in the doom puddle in the first place

To avoid wasting a cooldown, obviously.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

SettingSun posted:

Also if you don't always gamble on high/low no matter how insane the stakes are you are a coward.

The only time I've ever not was with a 5 showing and five calfskin leather already on the board.

I was weak.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Arm's Length's slow only triggers off of physical attacks hitting the target. This used to be in the description somewhere (maybe when it was a PvP ability or something?) or I might be misremembering it but it shares the same functionality as the old Eye for an Eye in that regard. The Slow status effect it applies is just a regular slow and nearly every boss in the game past like level 30 is immune to Slow. This distinction is most noticeable if you have a pull that has mages in the mobs and their fire/lightning/ice etc. casts don't trigger the slow.

There are some physical aoe boss attacks but they're quite rare. I can't think of any dungeon bosses that have both physical raidwides and are vulnerable to slow off the top of my head except maybe the golem in Qarn normal?

There used to be two immunes in the game for non tanks. Black Mage had Manawall which immuned physical hits, and Ninja had Perfect Dodge (now Shade Shift) which evaded one physical hit. Both abilities were changed in HW for precisely the reason of preventing non tanks from cheesing physical based mechanics.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Literally the only reason I paid the extra for the Endwalker Collector Edition is because I want to see what my Porom minion does if I ever run into someone who has their pre-order Palom minion out.

Only nobody seems to ever have their Palom minion out.

:smith:

Edit: well drat, now I REALLY want to find someone to do that with.

If you're on Excalibur we can hang out.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I think both types of map parties are fine. Excellent thing about this game is you have a choice on what kind you want to join or run :)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Another semi secret thing with minions is that if you set the Mametteer title for yourself, most of your Obedient minions will behave as though they are Independent. This can sometimes let you see minion animations you'd otherwise never get because normally they just passively stand near you.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Oh, that's really cool! I'd often wanted to see the Obedient ones walk around more.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Onean posted:

oddly, the Exdeath and Ghido one

That's not odd. It's a reference to that time Exdeath had a DBZ fight with a turtle while making TMNT references.

Final Fantasy V is weird.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Oh, I know the reference. I meant oddly in that it's rare to see or know about, but I had heard of it yet not most others.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Lord_Magmar posted:

See, I actually think I also like this as a use of vulnerability stacks. Making it about a slow grind way to kill someone via death of a thousand cuts for being hit by 20 balls.

I think another pretty hefty difference for WoW is that Healing in WoW seems to be a bit more generally involved than FFXIV. But I admittedly don’t play Healer in either so that’s just an outside perspective.

The two are not even really comparable. Occasionally in savage you have fights where the boss autos actually hurt the tank, like E8s, but most of the time you can just throw a regen on them and ignore them outside of recovering from tankbusters. Triage is not a thing, and neither is mana conservation. You learn the dance like a dps only you have two damage buttons and learn the points in the fight when you have to press your off-global aoe that heals everyone from 30% hp to 100%.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I do maps to cap tomestones, everything else I consider gravy

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

XIV healers in savage are basically bonus DPS that keep everybody from dying after unavoidable damage. And new savage tiers are always a fun time learning which new attacks hurt the most and require extra mitigation. The O4S first timer phase transition experience didn't end when he became targetable again, it was when Almagest hit and there was a chorus of HOLY poo poo in voice.

XIV healers outside savage are bonus DPS that sometimes drop a heal on the main tank or cast a shield before an ult.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 7, 2022

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Please Calm Down map parties seem to be always FFA inside, but owner needs or FFA for the outside part. Both ways seem to work fine.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Thundarr posted:

XIV healers in savage are basically bonus DPS that keep everybody from dying after unavoidable damage. And new savage tiers are always a fun time learning which new attacks hurt the most and require extra mitigation. The O4S first timer phase transition experience didn't end when he became targetable again, it was when Almagest hit and there was a chorus of HOLY poo poo in voice.

That's how I felt with the sewage attack in P2S. We went in blind and seeing the entire party minus the tanks get loving *smoked* was jaw-dropping.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Thundarr posted:

XIV healers outside savage are bonus DPS that sometimes drop a heal on the main tank or cast a shield before an ult.

A good time to repost this video because of how messed up that part was as a healer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZWNJOPiC8o

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Qwertycoatl posted:

Please Calm Down map parties seem to be always FFA inside, but owner needs or FFA for the outside part. Both ways seem to work fine.

Yeah, the default I've seen running maps with my FC is "owner needs for initial treasure coffer, FFA in dungeons," which seemed basically fair.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

For Bard should I be saving Soul Voice for Raging Strikes or just dropping it once it caps?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

What's the best time to use Apex Arrow?
Ideally, you want to treat it as a pseudo-60s cooldown so that every other one lands in buffs.

At around 24-22s left in Mage's Ballad, fire it off so long as you have 80 gauge or more. If you get 100 gauge earlier than that, you can use it then too.

Then, hold on to it until all of your 2-minute buffs are up in Wanderer's Minuet. Even if it hits 100 well in advance of this, just sit on it. It's not worth throwing the timing off.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, the default I've seen running maps with my FC is "owner needs for initial treasure coffer, FFA in dungeons," which seemed basically fair.

Our FC does the "If it's your map you get the loot, inside and outside of the portal" and there has literally been zero problems with doing it this way for us. This is the first time I've seen anyone mention FFA even in FC groups

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Awesome! posted:

What's the best time to use Apex Arrow?
Ideally, you want to treat it as a pseudo-60s cooldown so that every other one lands in buffs.

At around 24-22s left in Mage's Ballad, fire it off so long as you have 80 gauge or more. If you get 100 gauge earlier than that, you can use it then too.

Then, hold on to it until all of your 2-minute buffs are up in Wanderer's Minuet. Even if it hits 100 well in advance of this, just sit on it. It's not worth throwing the timing off.

Okay, that makes sense. Was worried it was a DPS loss that way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Our FC does the "If it's your map you get the loot, inside and outside of the portal" and there has literally been zero problems with doing it this way for us. This is the first time I've seen anyone mention FFA even in FC groups

The reason why is largely because it helps prevent people from feeling crappy. Getting a no-portal feels a lot shittier in a Full Loot run because it means you effectively get nothing, while FFA keeps people invested/interested and means there is less chance of negative feelings coming out.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Also with ownership restrictions do you have have to schedule start and stop points or rotate evenly or what

The ffa map groups i've always been in cluster maps by zone and people just drop in and out whenever because it remains even throughout, if you're doing owner needs then you'd like need to enforce people staying to do other people's maps even if they already got their loot?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Ended up not sticking with the bunny man look.

Instead I'm now Auron, but he's a caster.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

It also helps so people don't peace out the instant they finish their maps because they have reason to help you do yours. I have no frame of reference with this though because I exclusively do maps with friends so we just ffa everything.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Glagha posted:

It also helps so people don't peace out the instant they finish their maps because they have reason to help you do yours. I have no frame of reference with this though because I exclusively do maps with friends so we just ffa everything.

Yeah your map your loot leads to a lot of this

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
FFXIV could use a Patchwerk style encounter with the Hateful Strike Mechanic, Bonk the highest HP target in melee range every 1 second for almost all of their health.

Can't remember which was the worst Almagest. There was one 1/2 - 2/3 where it's back to back with either coming right out of a Grand Cross or going into a Grand Cross or it was like Almagest directly into tank busters.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Firebert posted:

The two are not even really comparable. Occasionally in savage you have fights where the boss autos actually hurt the tank, like E8s, but most of the time you can just throw a regen on them and ignore them outside of recovering from tankbusters. Triage is not a thing, and neither is mana conservation. You learn the dance like a dps only you have two damage buttons and learn the points in the fight when you have to press your off-global aoe that heals everyone from 30% hp to 100%.

Okay yeah that’s a way bigger difference from what I know of WoW healing than I was really conceptualising. In WoW healing involves knowing what you’re doing with all your heal buttons and knowing exactly what to use when.

Also in terms of the Mythic thing, Mythic is the only place where you really expect to have stuff like the solve this mechanic with 8 hunters or whatever deal and even that isn’t common and more a Player thing.

It’s like how Savage can be done with anything but people get stuck on ideas of DRK being worthless but worse. You obviously ain’t just yolo your way through the toughest content in the game but genuinely in WoW the player base makes as much of the issues as the fight design by being so absolutely certain you have to do exactly what the meta says to do. My favourite example of this that I personally experienced involves a Council fight where each of the three final versions was taxing for a different role. We were doing the healing taxing one because it is the one all the guides suggest, even though we had two of the best tanks in the server and the tank based version would have been dead easy for us.

People acting like DRK is unplayable or Reaper is super over the top is as close as the sentiment gets to the full blown awful WoW assholes, in part because of how good the moderation and community of FFXIV is.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Where is the DRK is useless in Savage coming from? It's the top parsing tank right now. Paladin is the "useless" tank.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

CJ posted:

Where is the DRK is useless in Savage coming from? It's the top parsing tank right now. Paladin is the "useless" tank.

It very quickly went quiet but people were super mad about DRK being useless because of how it performed in dungeons specifically.

Good point on the Paladin thing though.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I do think the WoW devs should be given more slack with class balance because they try to do more to make each spec unique and have varied boss fights. Paladin being 10% behind the other tanks is pretty inexcusable when FF14's class design philosophy is to make them all identical with aesthetic differences.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

a lot of drk critique is coming from disgruntled old drk mains finally reaching a breaking point. like me lol. i just think drk feels like poo poo to play, am cranky that i liked older iterations of it, but if i want to criticize it i have to deal with people going "it's good actually, it was in world first" like numbers are the only thing that matters. ffxiv players tend to latch onto a lot of dumb stuff. myself included. there just isn't that much to complain about regarding balance, really. like yea phys ranged do piddly damage, pld should be tuned up a bit, reaper is maybe doing too much, but at the end of the day you can beat anything as anything so what does it really matter.

anyway,
https://twitter.com/Sindalf/status/1478565371829358596
the ast and drk from the world first team

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So what makes DRK feel so bad to play in its current incarnation? I've only really played Gunbreaker at high levels so I don't know much about the other tanks beyond just reading their abilities or watching the occasional video.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

A lot of the "DRK is absolutely unplayably bad" hysteria came from people noting that they have slightly less survivability in 4-man content compared to WAR, who basically everyone agrees is already invincible as long as the healer isn't asleep on their keyboard.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

For Bard should I be saving Soul Voice for Raging Strikes or just dropping it once it caps?

The current Apex Arrow tech is use it once it caps, which is probably around 24-22 seconds left in Mage's assuming you're going 45 seconds Wanderer's/30 Mage's/45 Army's, then use it while Raging Strikes is up in your 2-minute burst, even if it caps well before that (or doesn't cap at all).

e: oh, beaten by a year

Arist fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 8, 2022

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I finally clawed myself up to a 50% lifetime win record in Frontline dailies. I am really looking forward to the 9.1 battle pass thing. The PvP in this game is really run in spite of the lovely servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CJ posted:

I finally clawed myself up to a 50% lifetime win record in Frontline dailies. I am really looking forward to the 9.1 battle pass thing. The PvP in this game is really run in spite of the lovely servers.

It'd honestly be great if the tick rate was just a little better. I'm hopeful they'll be able to butter up the netcode in the future to make things feel more responsive, because MMO PVP without any weird gearing poo poo and a comprehensibly small list of core skills would be amazing.