Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I don't think the hit to the head did anything to goku besides forcing him to recuperate and learn to appreciate grandpa gohan. The whole franchise only works if you assume Goku and Vegeta are immune to CTE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Stairmaster posted:

I don't think the hit to the head did anything to goku besides forcing him to recuperate and learn to appreciate grandpa gohan. The whole franchise only works if you assume Goku and Vegeta are immune to CTE.

I think that the Broly movie (not to mention the previously shown stuff about Raditz's expectations of what Goku should know) shows that Saiyans are meant to be able to remember much further into their childhood than the average human so it doesn't make much sense why Goku would have no knowledge at all about his heritage and background without the brain damage thing.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I don't see how the film implies that at all.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

khwarezm posted:

Really? I've never been too hot about the idea that he smacked his head so hard it knocked the Saiyan evil out of him, but I don't remember anything going so far as retconning it.

Jaco manga, which was adapted partially into Broly movie.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Stairmaster posted:

I don't see how the film implies that at all.

They still have the idea of Saiyan children being sent off the ends of universe to conquer and kill, King Vegeta says to Paragus that they are just sending off Broly on his first mission. It doesn't make much sense to do that if they have no idea what's going on.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

dr.acula posted:

What I wonder about is what the hell kind of planet was it that the saiyans wanted to invade but couldnt do it without Kakkarot, who they assumed was weaker than Raditz anyway.

It's not that they can't do it themselves, it's that it's a supremely low effort way to both weed out useless kids and also sterilize easy-to-conquer planets without having to waste time and effort sending actual fighters there.

Stuff a baby in a pod and shoot them at a planet, check on them in a couple years. Either the pod baby died(in which case you got rid of a potential weakling) or they cleaned the planet and now you have both a planet to sell and a new warrior with combat experience to collect. It's a no lose situation for the Saiyans.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Kanos posted:

It's not that they can't do it themselves, it's that it's a supremely low effort way to both weed out useless kids and also sterilize easy-to-conquer planets without having to waste time and effort sending actual fighters there.

Stuff a baby in a pod and shoot them at a planet, check on them in a couple years. Either the pod baby died(in which case you got rid of a potential weakling) or they cleaned the planet and now you have both a planet to sell and a new warrior with combat experience to collect. It's a no lose situation for the Saiyans.

No I mean specifically the planet Vegeta, Nappa, and Raditz were about to hit up and they were iffy about it until Raditz was like 'wait I have a younger brother whos probably a weakling but it will tip the scales' (definitely due to Great Ape shenanigans). And then they never mention said planet again. I'm just curious who these beings were that could put up a fight against three Saiyans.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Re: The head thing

Hasn't it been shown that the baby pods have a "wake up, time to kill everyone" recording?

They probably have other things too and the head bonk knocked him out of baby hypnosis or something.

Or just not being able to pursue his programming gave Gohan a much easier chance to get rid of it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain France posted:

Re: The head thing

Hasn't it been shown that the baby pods have a "wake up, time to kill everyone" recording?

They probably have other things too and the head bonk knocked him out of baby hypnosis or something.

Or just not being able to pursue his programming gave Gohan a much easier chance to get rid of it.

I believe that was only shown in a filler thing where Goku's pod also could project an image of the moon which somehow made Gohan transform.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ImpAtom posted:

I believe that was only shown in a filler thing where Goku's pod also could project an image of the moon which somehow made Gohan transform.

Bardock's greatest invention, the fake moon.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Funky Valentine posted:

Bardock invented a novelty moon night light for young children, it really turned them into little monkeys!

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

dr.acula posted:

No I mean specifically the planet Vegeta, Nappa, and Raditz were about to hit up and they were iffy about it until Raditz was like 'wait I have a younger brother whos probably a weakling but it will tip the scales' (definitely due to Great Ape shenanigans). And then they never mention said planet again. I'm just curious who these beings were that could put up a fight against three Saiyans.

Maybe Yardrat, the Ginyus were supposed to attack it during/after the Freeza saga and ape form Vegeta + Nappa would be in the general power level of them, maybe the couple extra bodies would be helpful.

Edit: on the other hand, lol, Great Ape Raditz would be clobbered by regular Vegeta so who the gently caress knows how they'd be helpful.

mmkay fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 7, 2022

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

khwarezm posted:

Bardock invented a novelty moon night light for young children, it really turned them into little monkeys!

This obviously proves his scientist chops, it took Bulma decades from that point to learn how to make one.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dr.acula posted:

It’s less that they needed the help and more that an extra body would be useful. They want to leave the planet in a pretty good state for resale, Vegeta reprimands Nappa for blowing up that one city as they don’t want to do too much damage to it.

An extra body would be helpful for the drudge work of hunting everyone down.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

MonsterEnvy posted:

It’s less that they needed the help and more that an extra body would be useful. They want to leave the planet in a pretty good state for resale, Vegeta reprimands Nappa for blowing up that one city as they don’t want to do too much damage to it.

An extra body would be helpful for the drudge work of hunting everyone down.

I thought Vegeta was mad at Nappa for senselessly blowing stuff up when it could have inadvertently included the dragonballs?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

khwarezm posted:

I thought Vegeta was mad at Nappa for senselessly blowing stuff up when it could have inadvertently included the dragonballs?

It was both, though he was not really mad, just telling him off.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Admiral Joeslop posted:

This obviously proves his scientist chops, it took Bulma decades from that point to learn how to make one.

Look man humanity is way behind saiyanity in blutz tech. The fact that bulma got any blutzes at all is a miracle.

What would happen if you exposed midichlorians to blutz waves. Imagine the heights of handwaviness you could reach

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

projecthalaxy posted:

Look man humanity is way behind saiyanity in blutz tech. The fact that bulma got any blutzes at all is a miracle.

What would happen if you exposed midichlorians S-Cells to blutz waves. Imagine the heights of handwaviness you could reach

Fixed that for you.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

khwarezm posted:

Fixed that for you.

but we already know that one, you get big golden apes

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It didn’t take Bulma all those years at all

She just didn’t need to until Vegeta barged in sobbing and stomping his feet begging for a moon ray to make him an 80s glam rockstar

One lunch break later it was ready for use

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

maybe he should have just asked elder kai to pull his tail back out too

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Aurora posted:

maybe he should have just asked elder kai to pull his tail back out too

He could do it to Goku because he had the body of a child again, and thus his tail could regrow. It wouldn't work on the adult Vegeta.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Blaze Dragon posted:

He could do it to Goku because he had the body of a child again, and thus his tail could regrow. It wouldn't work on the adult Vegeta.

projecthalaxy posted:

Imagine the heights of handwaviness you could reach

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

Baby’s first zenkai.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

that was probably strongest form 1

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's outright shown that Oozaru was the primary edge for Saiyans as planet conquerers, basically enacting a Kaiju movie until enough of the planet's population was gone. Gohan teaching Goku not to look at the moon was a key thing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean Master Roshi figured out how to stop him pretty easily

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean Master Roshi figured out how to stop him pretty easily

This may be a surprise to you, but most people can't destroy the Moon.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

its actually really easy to win a fight against a small child especially a baby and goku would be no exception

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 8, 2022

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Blaze Dragon posted:

This may be a surprise to you, but most people can't destroy the Moon.

This may surprise you, they don’t need to. Literally all it takes is one guy who can do it.

Which earth explicitly has.

Nice try tho

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

its actually really easy to win a fight against a small child especially a baby and goku would be no exception

I mean by most standards it's really easy to win a fight against a piece of candy and Buu had surprises in that regard.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Shinjobi posted:

yeah but now I'm picturing Frieza getting along with Chi-Chi like they're old pals

Given their similar natures Bulma'd also probably get along with Freeza.

So now we just have to figure out which Z Fighter Freeza has to marry to learn to chill out.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So now we just have to figure out which Z Fighter Freeza has to marry to learn to chill out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGviZS4BlQk

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Bulma won’t both out of love for her husband, and from angry recall of having survived Namek. Chi Chi though? Complete galpals and a LOT of Saiyan racism.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Lord Freeza, Bra's Babysitter arc begins.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Funky Valentine posted:

that’s Beerus’ job! Frieza has to watch over Pan, slowly realizing she’s going to become the next Goku.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

Go for a real Dr. Doom/Valeria Richards thing

edit: Oh yea, even better with Pan

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Funky Valentine posted:

It's kind of incredible to me that a couple of throwaway lines from the Ocean dub had such a huge impact on the fandom that we're still making jokes about it 25 years later.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Some Numbers posted:

It's kind of incredible to me that a couple of throwaway lines from the Ocean dub had such a huge impact on the fandom that we're still making jokes about it 25 years later.

Well he was a brilliant scientist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
you can't undervalue the delivery on that line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_DFJ-OXTzQ&t=28s