Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

McGavin posted:

The librarian is also a lizard.

Our focus group suggests massive lizard tits and a robotic love interest would improve box office sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Outrail posted:

Our focus group suggests massive lizard tits and a robotic love interest would improve box office sales.

Everyone's always complaining Hollywood is out of ideas and just makes the same stuff over and over. Time to shake it up!!!

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Dr. Faustus posted:

This wfh home poo poo is hosed beyond belief.

My gf is a call-center worker, she takes ethics and complaints calls for lots of companies around the world, with interpreters and the whole nine.

They sent her a tech and her PC to our apartment back in 2020. I bought her her first desk until that broke. She bought a massive L-shaped desk for the new office (2nd bedroom) I got for her last May when we moved. That was really fun to assemble and the keyboard tray is already broken off (of course.)

Just in the last few months AT&T has been dropping service at my residence and she was losing hours of work and threats of discipline. Over AT&T not maintaining my broadband. I have had that resolved finally, after AT&T figured out it was *not* my gear.

Guess how much her company has contributed to those desks, and my monthly broadband bill, which they demand be a certain level of service and will fire her if she cannot keep it reliable? They give me dick. They put nothing in here paycheck for this and I cannot say a goddamned thing to anyone about it.

Having worked for an "ethics" SaaS company, I feel her pain.

Pre-covid, I struggled to get this ethics company to upgrade our department's computers in order to run the creator software they wanted us to use. Found out they wouldn't even consider it until the next fiscal year and it wasn't a guarantee.

That same month, the CEO called an all-hands to tell us the company was purchased for billions of dollars.

Not a single cent went to employee requests.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Required to take laptops home so there's no excuse not to be working, regardless of weather conditions (it's outright unsafe to drive next few days here, which prompted this conversation).

Not allowed to work from home regardless of weather conditions except on the one to two days a week we're scheduled WFH, no exceptions.

?????

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

SkyeAuroline posted:

Required to take laptops home so there's no excuse not to be working, regardless of weather conditions (it's outright unsafe to drive next few days here, which prompted this conversation).

Not allowed to work from home regardless of weather conditions except on the one to two days a week we're scheduled WFH, no exceptions.

?????

they don't want to pay you weather comp time, hth

I am well familiar with those shenanigans

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

My province has closed all gyms and in-person sit-down restaurants and bars, and has mandated that everyone that can work from home, "should" work from home

Not must, should

As such, we're staying fully staffed due to "productivity concerns"

I'm waiting to get COVID within the next 2 weeks from work.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

TotalLossBrain posted:

they don't want to pay you weather comp time, hth

I am well familiar with those shenanigans

No, what's baffling me here is that they're saying they won't let us work from home in a weather emergency, to the point of one of the management folks saying he'd drive cross-state just to get us into the office if we're snowed in and stuck... but we're still required to have the hardware in a location we'd be disciplined for using it at. If they just said "take your laptops home, work from home in a blizzard", that's fine! I can understand the logic there. I don't understand the logic of "take your laptops home in case of a blizzard, but you're still required to bring them into the office and work here, not from home under any circumstances".

It's not like they ever close the building anyway, and building closure is the only metric for "do you have an excuse not to be in the office". We stayed open for the -60 F polar storm a year or two back and everyone was expected to come in for that. So this policy is never going to actually matter. I'm just genuinely baffled what the logic is.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

SkyeAuroline posted:

No, what's baffling me here is that they're saying they won't let us work from home in a weather emergency, to the point of one of the management folks saying he'd drive cross-state just to get us into the office if we're snowed in and stuck... but we're still required to have the hardware in a location we'd be disciplined for using it at. If they just said "take your laptops home, work from home in a blizzard", that's fine! I can understand the logic there. I don't understand the logic of "take your laptops home in case of a blizzard, but you're still required to bring them into the office and work here, not from home under any circumstances".

Tell them that you're worried your laptop could be damaged if you skid out and get into an accident on the way to the office.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel kinda bad that my complaining about a service being done by a contractor probably got someone fired.

I work in a science lab, and one of my responsibilities is getting the tools calibrated. I sent in some tools to be calibrated with a typical turnaround time of 3-4 weeks or so, back in september. I've been pestering them since october to find out when they were coming back to me. Nothing but excuses and blowing me off, until I finally lost it, and cc'ed every person I ever had any contact with at that company, and firmly demanded to know where the tool was, which I paid to be calibrated in september. it is january. This is bullshit.

They looked into it and decided they lost the tools, and are paying to replace them, fully calibrated, and are gonna be getting them to me by friday. It's a good result for me, but I bet this screwup got someone fired. These things are expensive, multiple thousands of dollars of cost. I feel bad about that, even if it was a legit problem. This has been intensely frustrating, and at least I got to feel vindicated that a major problem involving me wasn't caused by me.

Oh, also, my boss probably gave me covid on monday and tuesday. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

rotinaj posted:

They looked into it and decided they lost the tools, and are paying to replace them, fully calibrated, and are gonna be getting them to me by friday. It's a good result for me, but I bet this screwup got someone fired. These things are expensive, multiple thousands of dollars of cost. I feel bad about that, even if it was a legit problem. This has been intensely frustrating, and at least I got to feel vindicated that a major problem involving me wasn't caused by me.

Yeah gently caress that don't even pretend to feel bad.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

During the team meeting today, my boss let me know that I pretty much got someone fired a few weeks ago.

User put in a ticket that had zero information and somehow bypassed the level one service desk (Who is useless at the best of times, so whatever). She was getting testy in the Teams chat basically was deeply offended that I had the sheer audacity to ask her such pointless questions as "Are you getting an error message?" While I was on vacation, she emailed my boss and her manager to complain about me... But I'd already given my boss the transcript, so he started BCCing me on all his replies and using direct quotes from the transcript to poo poo on her. Apparently she's been an issue because her boss went to HR and, well... We solved the problem. We fixed the glitch.

I still don't even know what her original issue was...

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Cthulu Carl posted:

During the team meeting today, my boss let me know that I pretty much got someone fired a few weeks ago.

Outrail posted:

Yeah gently caress that don't even pretend to feel bad.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Tangential:

I knew something like this had to exist so I went looking for it and SURPRISE it does:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIxY_Y9TGWI

Aaaah

Aaaaaaaaaaaaah

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrggghhhhhhhhhh

Every single internal corporate video has the “inspirational” music on it and it just evokes the most cynical sneering, I don’t understand who thinks it’s good

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

When we got kicked out in March 2020, I told my boss "I need to take home a microscope, a bunch of lab supplies, and some [hazardous chemicals] so I can cobble together a lab in my garage and keep working and also can I have a laptop," and he was like "Yeah, just make sure you can properly vent the garage and use PPE."

Get ready for local pd to demolish your house and shoot your dog when they bust in searching for a meth lab.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

rotinaj posted:

I feel kinda bad that my complaining about a service being done by a contractor probably got someone fired.

I work in a science lab, and one of my responsibilities is getting the tools calibrated. I sent in some tools to be calibrated with a typical turnaround time of 3-4 weeks or so, back in september. I've been pestering them since october to find out when they were coming back to me. Nothing but excuses and blowing me off, until I finally lost it, and cc'ed every person I ever had any contact with at that company, and firmly demanded to know where the tool was, which I paid to be calibrated in september. it is january. This is bullshit.

Oh, also, my boss probably gave me covid on monday and tuesday. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

the thing with calibration is that all it tells you is how the investment was performing at the point of calibration. so if you calibrate and instrument and then use it to perform measurements you will need to calibrate it again afterwards. so you can demonstrate that the instrument is still working to specification.

so losing an instrument is a massive fuckup for a calibration company. it can mean that the instrument owner needs to treat the instrument as being potentially out of spec and perform an investigation into how that impacts their operations. those investigations can be expensive to perform and even result in things like product recalls.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Literally the only thing I feel bad about was that I still don't know what her issue was - I don't mean the root cause, I mean the problem that made her put in the ticket in the first place.

I'm otherwise actually proud of myself. I got someone shitcanned by just... asking the same questions I ask every user. That and I'm the grumpy rear end in a top hat of our team and my boss said when he looked at the transcript that I stayed calmer than he would have.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I got a couple procurement folks and industrial planners fired when me doing my job normally revealed that they were basically completely untrained in their business processes.

I patched up the value stream from the engineering side then took a lateral 'promotion to get away from them and now I don't have to deal with a 60 year old man asking me to fix his supplier's internal issues.

Charlatans is alive and well.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

stinch posted:

the thing with calibration is that all it tells you is how the investment was performing at the point of calibration. so if you calibrate and instrument and then use it to perform measurements you will need to calibrate it again afterwards. so you can demonstrate that the instrument is still working to specification.

so losing an instrument is a massive fuckup for a calibration company. it can mean that the instrument owner needs to treat the instrument as being potentially out of spec and perform an investigation into how that impacts their operations. those investigations can be expensive to perform and even result in things like product recalls.
If I’m reading the post right, the equipment was held by the calibration company all that time - so there’s no measurements being taken that might be wrong, no operations to investigate, etc. Effectively, the same as if you’d had it sitting in your storage room out of use for a long while then sent it off to get calibrated. So the calibration company could just calibrate it again and been fine - unless the specific industry has chain of custody style controls on all their instruments.

The fact they went to replacing all the tools without even suggesting “hey we found them, are you cool with us just redoing the calibration, no charge?” means they probably did completely lose them.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Or completely broke them.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
My employer is getting ready to implement Saturdays on top of normal Monday-Friday shifts. Sure they pay time and a half for overtime. But part of my joining up is thanks to Saturdays being "very rare" and "almost nonexistent", as stated by the recruiter and GM.

Pretty dumb move considering I'll resign when they make the announcement.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

MagusofStars posted:

If I’m reading the post right, the equipment was held by the calibration company all that time - so there’s no measurements being taken that might be wrong, no operations to investigate, etc. Effectively, the same as if you’d had it sitting in your storage room out of use for a long while then sent it off to get calibrated. So the calibration company could just calibrate it again and been fine - unless the specific industry has chain of custody style controls on all their instruments.

The fact they went to replacing all the tools without even suggesting “hey we found them, are you cool with us just redoing the calibration, no charge?” means they probably did completely lose them.

Yup. They also let me know in the fall that everything was delayed because they were changing facilities. Dollars to donuts they lost the tools entirely during the transit. I just wish they had told me months ago. Though, that post did point out a good and valid thing for me to do with my bosses to cover our asses, so thanks!

(I’m also being laid off in 4 months as they outsource my job to a second world country so I only care a certain extent about all this)

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

MagusofStars posted:

Your particular measuring instrument is important, it has a serial number and behaves differently from every other nominally identical instrument.

Without calibration and correlation to another identical instrument, you can't be sure x before switching instruments is the same as x after. It might be different by .0001" and that matters.

If there was only one instrument to begin with and no master correlation gage at the facility, you need to re-do all that statistical process control work. It's expensive!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
They finally brought in N95 masks and then management immediately talked everybody out of using them because "they're uncomfortable." :allears:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Animal-Mother posted:

They finally brought in N95 masks and then management immediately talked everybody out of using them because "they're uncomfortable." :allears:

dying of covid is also uncomfortable

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Robo Reagan posted:

dying of covid is also uncomfortable

Being dead might be really comfortable so who's to say what's right or wrong in this crazy mixed up world?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Outrail posted:

Being dead might be really comfortable so who's to say what's right or wrong in this crazy mixed up world?

:hmmyes: It's really both sides.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

interwhat posted:

My employer is getting ready to implement Saturdays on top of normal Monday-Friday shifts. Sure they pay time and a half for overtime. But part of my joining up is thanks to Saturdays being "very rare" and "almost nonexistent", as stated by the recruiter and GM.

We have a 2nd shift team that gets absolutely poo poo on by 90% my facility. They keep sticking them with longer and shittier hours and the refrain from management is “they make $x more an hour than 1st shift” which maybe would have been acceptable before the workload increased so significantly.

The last few months they have started working the occasional Saturday, and I’m expecting it to become more and more common. I don’t know what management is expecting to happen when the entire shift quits. We pay less than similar places in the area, our one main draw in was “no weekend work”

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

lol 11 members of 1 team out with Covid

It's real, and it's spectacular.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

interwhat posted:

I hated nothing in the world more than mandatory overtime when I worked in a Staples warehouse years ago. They would just spring it on you and it would count like you had missed your normal shift if you said no or didn't show up. The worst part was that you didn't even work your normal shift, if you worked third shift they would throw you on the day shift and completely gently caress your sleep schedule. I ended up leaving that job a few weeks ahead of schedule when they scheduled me for a day shift immediately after my night shift (20 hours of work total, 1 hour in between).

MA-Horus posted:

lol 11 members of 1 team out with Covid

It's real, and it's spectacular.

It's tearing through our on-site team as well. We've got like three of our five techs out, two engineers and one of the project engineers who insists on being on site caught it as well. It's bad enough company wide they pushed back the limited return to office policy indefinitely.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

bee posted:

he's cancelled the ergonomic assessment we've tried to organise on two occasions now

Because he's a loving grown up and if he says he needs a desk, he shouldn't have to jump through stupid loving ergonomic survey and paperwork hoops to get one. At the start of the pandemic, I had to jump through stupid hoops and 2 ergo surveys to get my chair. It irked me to no end. gently caress that poo poo. They spent more time and money doing paperwork and surveys than they did on the £1300 chair they bought me six months down the line so my arthritic back didn't kill me. I bet your employee is just as annoyed, given his n number of emails on the subject.

bee posted:

I genuinely had no idea that employers elsewhere provide desks for people to take home to work on until now, and I still find it kinda weird that they would do that

Your finding it weird is you needing to realign yourself to the idea that buying a tool for your employee to do his job IS TOTALLY FINE AND OK.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
My work's shared drive is getting bloated and old (like all of us are). Rather than increase the size, or getting rid of the endless amount of useless poo poo, their solution is to... throttle everyone's access to 500 kb/s.

So since I can't remotely do anything I'm copying assignments to my local machine. I have a five hour wait to poo poo post while this 11gb file gets downloaded at the current speed of 355 kb/s.

Surely this can't be intentional.

But don't worry! We're getting a sixth assignment management system! This will improve efficiency! But we can't get rid of assignment management systems 1-5, those are still important, so just sextuple your work for now.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

User put in a ticket that had zero information and somehow bypassed the level one service desk (Who is useless at the best of times, so whatever). She was getting testy in the Teams chat basically was deeply offended that I had the sheer audacity to ask her such pointless questions as "Are you getting an error message?" While I was on vacation, she emailed my boss and her manager to complain about me... But I'd already given my boss the transcript, so he started BCCing me on all his replies and using direct quotes from the transcript to poo poo on her. Apparently she's been an issue because her boss went to HR and, well... We solved the problem. We fixed the glitch.

I still don't even know what her original issue was...

My application doesn't work.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Tying into 2 recent themes:

I work for government, and it's always been expected that you will provide all your own office equipment and supplies if you telework. If you have an existing ergo keyboard or mouse you could take that with you, but not furniture. Because I live in a stupid right-wing state, they kicked most people out in March of 2020, but it still depends on your department. So for us, people who wouldn't normally be allowed to wfh like new hires still had to come into the office every day. Masks were required but that stopped in April because the legislature decided that covid was over. Vaccines also not required. If you said "hey, I can't work without this special chair/desk" then the reply would be "then you get to come in to work every day."

Now our director has decided that it's a good time to bring all the people who normally don't wfh back in, and the ones that do have to come in twice what they used to. In the last 2 weeks we've had multiple covid cases in the building but this doesn't mean poo poo. I just changed jobs so I'm in every day. I fully expect to have it before the end of the month. Can't wait until someone dies as we have a lot of...we'll say people not in the best of health (older sedentary office workers) and I'm sure there are a few who aren't vaccinated at all.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Making ppl that wfh before COVID come in twice as often? Lol what kind of evil poo poo is this they trying to kill their workers?

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
I kind of had this mindset of "well guess they'll just keep not doing anything until people start dying". My direct supervisor, 38 years old with no health concerns died a few weeks ago and really nothing has changed. Sometimes they'll actually make people mask up for meetings but that isn't really doing anything when 80% of them sit in cubes in the same enclosed office all day unmasked.

We have 3 more people out with "non serious" COVID this week (non-serious just like the case my super had last year) and another person who is like the second in command who probably has it and is being real cagey about why they're out. Somehow I don't think the second or third death will really change anything either.

Given all that and the fact that their solution to my super dying was to ask me to just do everything she was doing in addition to what I'm doing for an extra 2.50 an hour I'm planning to just take a pay cut so I can go work outside full time and not worry about it so much.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Jesus

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

It's okay, in an office environment everyone knows covid respects cubicle boundaries. 5 foot of cubicle walls can't stop popcorn smell but they definitely stop an unforgiving and deadly infectious virus.

For this reason you will only be notified of a covid contact if you were in a meeting room or the same cubicle. If you're in the cubicle across the cube hall (2 feet away), you will not be notified and you will be expected to be at work tomorrow.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

satanic splash-back posted:

It's okay, in an office environment everyone knows covid respects cubicle boundaries. 5 foot of cubicle walls can't stop popcorn smell but they definitely stop an unforgiving and deadly infectious virus.

For this reason you will only be notified of a covid contact if you were in a meeting room or the same cubicle. If you're in the cubicle across the cube hall (2 feet away), you will not be notified and you will be expected to be at work tomorrow.

Oh, so like how they didn't notify any of us of covid exposure when four people in our department got taken out by it. Or two of us the second time.

Or like that one teacher's post (who knows if it's true) about contact only being recordable in a school setting if the kids spend at least 15 minutes together unsupervised, because adult supervision totally stops COVID spread.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

SkyeAuroline posted:

Oh, so like how they didn't notify any of us of covid exposure when four people in our department got taken out by it. Or two of us the second time.

Or like that one teacher's post (who knows if it's true) about contact only being recordable in a school setting if the kids spend at least 15 minutes together unsupervised, because adult supervision totally stops COVID spread.

Could just be like the school my friend teaches at and forbid telling of the the students, staff, or parents when someone is out with covid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Wendigee posted:

Making ppl that wfh before COVID come in twice as often? Lol what kind of evil poo poo is this they trying to kill their workers?
The thought has occurred. Go on a shooting spree and you end up in jail, requiring workers to go into an office where there's a decent chance they'll get sick and die? That's just managing your human capital! :shepicide: