Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I took a peek at the Star Trek thread in TVIV and they were raving about the latest episode of Star Trek Prodigy. From their description it was a bunch of 'remember this' poo poo, so I had to check it out of curiosity.

It was insultingly bad. The episodes A plot is the captain kid takes the Kobayashi Maru test. The simulation puts him on the bridge of the Enterprise-D (or at least another Galaxy class ship), for the crew, the simulation has him pick characters from the database. He picks Crusher, Uhura, Scotty, Spock, and...Odo?

Why Odo I have no clue because he has zero starship combat knowledge.

Anyway, the insulting part is that aside from Crusher, they just recycled audio clips from those characters. I guess McFadden did the voice work. But the others is just awful because they're saying all these lines that you heard in different episodes in a totally different context. It's almost as bad as Tarkin-ing someone.

I shouldn't be surprised that the Trek thread would be into a kids show, but holy gently caress that was awful.

If it's supposed to be a computer simulation of those characters this isn't a bad way to do it. They would sound weird and artificial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

PeterCat posted:

If it's supposed to be a computer simulation of those characters this isn't a bad way to do it. They would sound weird and artificial.

Also the kid doesn’t pick those characters he just tells the computer “Give me the best”

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Why would the computer even think to have an officer of the Bajoran Militia who has never served in star fleet or even ever been a citizen of the federation?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

PeterCat posted:

Nah. It sounds awful when they speak because you know it’s out of context lines from the other tv shows or movies. Just get some voice actors that sound alike. It’s not like they’ve been afraid to do this, or even re-casting characters before.

Endless Trash posted:

Also the kid doesn’t pick those characters he just tells the computer “Give me the best”

This makes the whole thing make even less sense lol.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

In some sense the computer is right though, odo is the best. Perhaps not in a starship combat sense, but in a more general sense

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I hope things go well for neil breen this year as he writes, produces, directs, stars in, and self funds his sixth theatrical independent feature film

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I fuckin love Neil Breen

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Anyone ever see this movie?

It was released in 1999 and takes place in NYC on NYE 1981.

I caught it on cable a few times 20 years ago and really liked it. But it's been impossible to find for a while. Apparently it's legally tied up because of soundtrack and music licensing issues like the Wonder Years TV show was for many years.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

DryGoods posted:

Amazon should produce a game based on the show based on the game

Powered by Lumberyard!

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Nah. It sounds awful when they speak because you know it’s out of context lines from the other tv shows or movies. Just get some voice actors that sound alike. It’s not like they’ve been afraid to do this, or even re-casting characters before.

This makes the whole thing make even less sense lol.

It makes less sense than a kid from the Delta Quadrant knowing who Dr Crusher is? No it makes more sense, but fair enough if you don’t think she or Odo or whoever are “the best”

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Jesus Christ, they made a 30 years later sequel to Saved by the Bell in 2020?!

Lmao that looks like a big fat woof.

I will say, Elizabeth Berkley just keeps getting hotter, drat.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

PeterCat posted:

except the star trak computers are so powerful they can create sentient ai from a novel. theres hundreds of examples of the computers making totally seamless simulations of people with natural speech patterns and stuff. essentially everyone who speaks ever is translated automagically by the computers too

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
https://twitter.com/alex_navarro/status/1479563711497097216?t=-H_hSvwOyqi9fhT3lLeGlw&s=19

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Watched the 4k disc of Ghost in the Shell

Anime is good

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Just put on Ninja Scroll because it's on Hulu.

Might gently caress around and watch this whole list:
https://www.empireonline.com/shopping/movies/best-anime-movies/

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Just put on Ninja Scroll because it's on Hulu.

Might gently caress around and watch this whole list:
https://www.empireonline.com/shopping/movies/best-anime-movies/

Ninja Scroll was one of 3 or 4 anime movies that teletoon, canada's cartoon network, would play late night on the weekends and oh my that is one hosed up rapey film.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ninja Scroll has an assassin hide a snake up her snatch to kill the protagonist while she seduces him.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
LOL that owns

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Ninja Scroll has an assassin hide a snake up her snatch to kill the protagonist while she seduces him.

Another assassin fingerbangs the heroine to remote control her mentally too iirc.

poo poo is hosed up bigtime.

The other movies were really milquetoast anime with Patlabor 1/2 and Wings of Honneamise

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Princess Mononoke under Your Name get da fuk outta hea

Pulchritudinous
May 19, 2005
It means "to reduce by one-tenth."

Arc Hammer posted:

Did it rip off Lady Terminator, or did Lady Terminator rip it off?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

priznat posted:

Another assassin fingerbangs the heroine to remote control her mentally too iirc.

poo poo is hosed up bigtime.

The other movies were really milquetoast anime with Patlabor 1/2 and Wings of Honneamise

Hey now Royal Space Force is 99 percent a loving great movie that nearly gets derailed by one of the most extremely out of place attempted rape scenes I have ever witnessed in film.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

If someone wanted to watch, like, five anime movies and not have rape in any of them, which would you pick

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Watched the 4k disc of Ghost in the Shell

Anime is good

I also like Scarlett Johansen

:wink:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

poisonpill posted:

If someone wanted to watch, like, five anime movies and not have rape in any of them, which would you pick

Do there have to be five of them?

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Akira looks great in HD, I don't think there was any rape in that.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

poisonpill posted:

Dragon Ball Curse of the Blood Rubies

Dragon Ball Z Cooler's Revenge

Dragon Ball Z Battle Of The Gods

Dragon Ball Z Resurrection F

Dragon Ball Super: Broly

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

poisonpill posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayao_Miyazaki#Works

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

poisonpill posted:

I think that's Studio Ghibli's whole schtick. The only anime that isn't just an excuse to look at doodles of rape.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
As a serious answer the list above is good and I'd especially recommend spirited away and Howl's moving castle.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

There is only one answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOYrWEoFKt0

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I don't like Hawls Castle watch his early stuff first. Totoro, Castle in the Sky etc.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Only Studio Ghibli movie I've seen is Princess Mononoke. They had these guys

So it's probably the best one.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Watch his buddy Takahata's Grave of the Fireflies and then get mad when you discover he changed the original autobiography so the protagonist also dies as a means to tell 80s Japanese delinquents to stop disrespecting their dead parents.

Always found that hosed up that he turned one man's horrible life experience into a guilt trip for biker gangs.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Princess Mononoke loving owns

I absolutely don't get the hype around Spirited Away. It was a dumb baby movie not too different from the stars war holiday special.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I absolutely don't get the hype around Spirited Away. It was a dumb baby movie not too different from the stars war holiday special.

Its a meditative look into pollution, the servant class, parenting, and burgeoning identity you uncultured swine!!!

NextSundayA.D.
May 13, 2009

mallratcal posted:

Akira looks great in HD, I don't think there was any rape in that.

There is an attempted one on Tetsuo's love interest Kaori.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I love Spirited Away mostly because it is loving gorgeous and has this weird dream logic going on that makes you feel like you’re stoned. The soundtrack is aces too. Miyazaki is the GOAT tho I enjoy all his flicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

priznat posted:

I love Spirited Away mostly because it is loving gorgeous and has this weird dream logic going on that makes you feel like you’re stoned.

I think Mirrormask also had this, although tbf I've probably always been stoned when watching it