Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Truly incoherent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Alphabetical by last name and then release order within the band.

Plus a random bin on the side for stuff I’ve recently listened to.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Yeah I gave up and alphabetized then release order, except Wings got mushed together with McCartney in the Ms.

And yeah add me to those that dislike when a single album gets split across multiple discs on rerelease. You notice that poo poo when your player is far away from your speakers. At least I get a lot of exercise running up and down the stairs.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
oh we’re doing this discussion again again?

pwn posted:

Oh we’re doing this discussion again? I put things in whatever order feels right. You could call it autobiographical. It works very well for me. Yes, I’m a garbage person. Yes, you would hate it. Don’t come over to my place. You don’t want to be here. I don’t want you here. My records, my problem.

Edit: Or we were doing that discussion on page 773. Sad!

Edit the 2nd:

Read After Burning posted:

I'll most likely end up breaking up the "normal" music section into something a bit more specific, most likely "retro" (1989 and before) and "modern" (1990 to now).

Yeah that is something I do. But like my Kate Bush box sets are separate because they span 1978 to 2018. And they don’t feel right to put in the crate with dad rock and Phil Collins.

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

i just alphabetize by band name and artist last name. at the end i have a section of miscellany where i put kid's records, soundtracks, and whatever odds and ends don't fit but i still want on hand to listen to.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I just put them back in whatever order I listened to them last so the ones I don't listen to gradually make their way to the end of the shelf and then I go well I guess I don't need these and then get rid of them

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
I just vaguely sort them in order of genre - I have two cubes for prog, one for electronic, one for German rock from the 70s, one for YMO and all related stuff...it's an unsustainable system but it'll work as long as I don't buy any more records...

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Because we have this discussion every 6 months. I use two systems, dance music and boogie is sorted by BPM then Key.

45’s are by genre then label then issue order.
LPs are genre then artist.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I guess I'm part of the problem now. Ween chat earlier made me realize I didn't have two of my favorite tracks on vinyl, so I spent way too much on the 7"s of Gabrielle and Beacon Light from Discogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCBjzluEQuY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX-zaCGRlnE

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 7, 2022

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Enos Cabell posted:

I guess I'm part of the problem now. Ween chat earlier made me realize I didn't have two of my favorite tracks on vinyl, so I spent way too much on the 7"s of Gabrielle and Beacon Light from Discogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCBjzluEQuY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX-zaCGRlnE

Nice. Beacon light is a good song. They should really do a vinyl Caesar release

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

Nice. Beacon light is a good song. They should really do a vinyl Caesar release

More like vinyl cheeser IMO

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I just bought one of my absolute favorite soul albums. :dance:

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
^^^ I still need to get Eau de Vie

For you (insane) alphabetizers, what about the. Someone’s name is part of the band, eg Delvon Lamar Organ Trio?

Arcella fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 7, 2022

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
You put it under their last name.

If it's multiple people, you go with the first person's last name.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hm, to file this under Tony, Toni, or Toné...

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cemetry Gator posted:

You put it under their last name.

If it's multiple people, you go with the first person's last name.

This is correct. And something like Patti Smith and the Patti Smith Group would be grouped together chronologically.

There must be style guides for stuff like this, right?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The worst is any of Omar Rodriguez-Lopez's various solo projects because he devises a different name for each group he plays with.

Off the top of my head,

Omar Rodriguez-Lopez
El Grupo Nuevo de Omar Rodriguez-Lopez
El Trio de Omar Rodriguez-Lopez
The Omar Rodriguez-Lopez Quartet
The Omar Rodriguez-Lopez Group (as distinguished from El Grupo Nuevo)
The Omar Rodriguez-Lopez Quintet

That's not counting The Mars Volta, De Facto, At the Drive-In, Bosnian Rainbows...

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

EL BROMANCE posted:

Hm, to file this under Tony, Toni, or Toné...

Or Tone! Tone! Tone!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
The original Alice Cooper band goes under A since Alice Cooper was the name of the whole band. Alice Cooper's solo albums go under C.

Also here's a bunch of my recent Savers finds. It was funny finding that Richard Harris album because I'd had the song MacArthur Park stuck in my head for days at that point. I also picked up Slow Train Coming by Bob Dylan but I forgot I had it when I took this picture.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I alphabetize by first name 'cause amy winehouse deserves to be at the front of my collection (... after 5 revolutions and al green)

edit: all trent reznor albums go under N regardless of what name is on the jacket. Eraser is under R.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

The Walrus posted:

I alphabetize by first name 'cause amy winehouse deserves to be at the front of my collection

:yeah:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

The original Alice Cooper band goes under A since Alice Cooper was the name of the whole band. Alice Cooper's solo albums go under C.

Also here's a bunch of my recent Savers finds. It was funny finding that Richard Harris album because I'd had the song MacArthur Park stuck in my head for days at that point. I also picked up Slow Train Coming by Bob Dylan but I forgot I had it when I took this picture.

Gram parsons is a good find

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

More City Pop and City Pop inspired vinyl in the house.

Talio is a banger. A real crowd pleaser.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Gram parsons is a good find

I didn't know that until you said this and yeah I guess that's a pricey one. I only paid a dollar and change for it because I have a Savers club card and I guess there was some kind of sale or I had enough points or something. What's weird is I've had much better scores there in the last couple years when everyone is buying records than I use to when no one gave a poo poo.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Heath posted:

The worst is any of Omar Rodriguez-Lopez's various solo projects because he devises a different name for each group he plays with.
This made me look up how many Rob Crow bands there are. Out of the 21 bands Rob Crow fronts (at least), it really is a shame that he never recorded a Devfits album.

That's Devo covers in the style of The Misfits and Misfits covers in the style of Devo. :sickos:

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 8, 2022

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I organize in a very lazy way: semi alphabetically. Things are generally in the letter they should be in no particular order. Too much of a pain to try to keep everything perfectly organized and I'm long past having enough space for poo poo.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

The Walrus posted:

I alphabetize by first name 'cause amy winehouse deserves to be at the front of my collection (... after 5 revolutions and al green)

And this is how those Weird Al albums are at the front of the alphabetized section of my collection. Behind the video game soundtracks and random Chinese... pop? It's been a while since I listened to those records. They were kinda bland and inoffensive to listen to at any rate.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

I didn't know that until you said this and yeah I guess that's a pricey one. I only paid a dollar and change for it because I have a Savers club card and I guess there was some kind of sale or I had enough points or something.

It's a great loving album. I remember finding Sleepless Nights(not a great album) in a cheap bin and the cashier at the record store was pretty surprised it had made it out on the floor.

I sort by genre. Then alphabetical, band name/last name. As far as sorting within one band or artist, I don't bother. I am in the process of making tabs for the letters in each section.

Here are the (too many) genres.

Classic Rock, Modern Rock, Hip Hop, Funk/Soul/RnB, International, Jazz, Big Band/Crooner/Exotica, County, Spoken Word, Ambient/Noise, Metal, Soundtracks, 80's ish, Blues, Unfiled

My 45s are a mess and are sorted kinda by genre and not at all alphabetical. I just sort of have an idea what case a record is in...sometimes. :shrug:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

It's a great loving album. I remember finding Sleepless Nights(not a great album) in a cheap bin and the cashier at the record store was pretty surprised it had made it out on the floor.

Yeah it's really good and I'm glad I bought it. The Roberta Flack album is really good too.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

The Roberta Flack album is really good too.

Yeah. One of those albums i always see in the budget bin. Compared to What is a banger.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 8, 2022

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

caligulamprey posted:

This made me look up how many Rob Crow bands there are. Out of the 21 bands Rob Crow fronts (at least), it really is a shame that he never recorded a Devfits album.

That's Devo covers in the style of The Misfits and Misfits covers in the style of Devo. :sickos:
....that sounds awesome, and I say that as someone who finds the Misfits kinda hit or miss

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Hit up the antiques mall today. Got some Dylan bootlegs in great shape. The one that’s the all white cover is the Great White Wonder. It’s probably the first rock bootleg.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Got curious about my copy of Bleach by Nirvana I bought in 1989 the day it was released which happened to be one of the first 600 on white vinyl and I played like twice

:lol:

Extra lol:

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 9, 2022

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I’ll give you $20 and my recipe to my bolognese.

I’ll even pay for shipping!

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

JAMOOOL posted:

Crazy that Ween's last record was 15 years ago and yet they seem to be more popular than they ever were. Those recent live reissues are on my local store's shelf and he remarked that there's this huge demand in store for Ween stuff. Particularly among young people, like teenagers...most of whom weren't even alive when quebec came out. We chatted about this for a minute and as I was leaving he got a phone call asking if they had any Ween in stock. It's unreal. What's the explanation for this? Did a song of theirs appear somewhere? Is the YouTube algorithm leading people to Ween? Is it just an insane amount of word-of-mouth and shitposting? I mean yeah it rules but what gives?

caligulamprey posted:

The kids these days all grew up watching the Spongebob Movie DVD on a loop and Ocean Man is imprinted on their brains, All Star-style.

Also so long as scumbag teens exist, Ween will be in the culture. :rock:

Was watching the Today show this morning (Saturday) and had a good chuckle at Ween being used in the 8:00 tease.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1h7lgSjW3E

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cat Hassler posted:

Got curious about my copy of Bleach by Nirvana I bought in 1989 the day it was released which happened to be one of the first 600 on white vinyl and I played like twice

:lol:

Extra lol:

I’d call that a collectible record.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
And here I was lolling that the Foo Fighters Dee Gees record hit $200. I ruined my resale by opening mine though. Also lolling that Skrillex's Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites is worth that much on vinyl too. Both of those I got at MSRP from the local shop.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

pwn posted:

Was watching the Today show this morning (Saturday) and had a good chuckle at Ween being used in the 8:00 tease.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1h7lgSjW3E

Lol blessed

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I always laugh at records made by poor (at the time in this case) people selling for prices in the triple and quadruple digits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

The bulk of my collection these days is made up of Blue Note and Deutsche Gramophone, so I organise by catalogue number.

The rest is organised by where I put it back on the shelf.