Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Taeke posted:

One of the best Dutch children's show in history, if not the absolute best, is Alfred Jodokus Kwak, a show about a duck that's entirely Dutch except all the animation was done in Japan and it shows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UKQVlOxgO4

I can't overstate how amazing this show is. It deals with adult topics in a way that is understandable for kids. The first episode starts with Alfred as a duckling losing his parents when they get run over by a car and a mole adopting him, but goes so much further than that. There's an episode dealing with apartheid between different colored geese, one of his best friends is a kleptomaniac magpie, the local town has a cycling competition where some of the duck competitors start doping themselves with medicine meant for elephants and his childhood bully named Dolf has an entire story arch that spans several episodes where he goes full nazi and fascism.

I'm not joking, just skip through this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyPEi_GPK2M

It's creator, Herman van Veen, is a goddamn saint with a golden voice and I'm lucky enough to have seen him perform live a couple of years ago.

The entire thing is on youtube as well.

Watched this as a kid cause my mom loves Herman van Veen. At the start it looks just like a normal kids show with talking animals and then it goes of the rails loving fast!

The Herman van Veen Christmas album is still a staple every year when the family comes together...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Memento posted:

hahaha drat

Trying to remember some important poo poo from my undergrad about taking field measurements? Nahh, can't find it.

The opening song to a bizarre 40-year-old French cartoon?

ULYSSES

U-LY-SSES

SOARING THROUGH ALL THE GALAXIES

IN SEARCH OF EARTH, FLYING INTO THE NIIIIIIIGHT

Made even better with youtube's autogenerated captions:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Memento posted:

I knew what one of these was, it's a square with some words that work backwards as well as forwards in it, from ancient times, as far back as the ruins of Pompeii.

It also works vertically.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I didn't realize until just recently how much Japan influenced my childhood pop culture: Super Mario Bros., TMNT, Power Rangers, Sonic, probably other things I've forgotten. The '80s and '90s must have been a golden era of Japanese culture coming to the US.

The Asian aesthetics in Cyberpunk media is a reaction to this. Fears of a industrial and cultural takeover. When really it was a product of the US dominating the Japanese markets forcing nationalized industries to open up so we could profit like a colonial power.

Thank you, Ronald Raegan and the IMF. You did it! :patriot:

Oh and Richard Nixon, China participating in global markets but also with direct state control of industries was scary to a lot of people. :nixon:

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
Finger trackball mice exist. I just got a Deft Pro, its day 2 I'm taking my mouse home and returning my regular mouse. No going back!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

I knew what one of these was, it's a square with some words that work backwards as well as forwards in it, from ancient times, as far back as the ruins of Pompeii.

And I have been reading Discworld books for more than 30 years

But I never made the connection to the geographical location in the middle of Ankh-Morpork, with the gates to the Unseen University on the side.

https://wiki.lspace.org/Sator_Square

If you ever saw the latest Christopher Nolan "Maybe I should wait to see this at home with closed captions on" movie, it's shot through with references to the Sator Square. I mean it's named Tenet for exactly the middle word.

Memento posted:

hahaha drat

Trying to remember some important poo poo from my undergrad about taking field measurements? Nahh, can't find it.

The opening song to a bizarre 40-year-old French cartoon?

ULYSSES

U-LY-SSES

SOARING THROUGH ALL THE GALAXIES

IN SEARCH OF EARTH, FLYING INTO THE NIIIIIIIGHT

Remember the Crimbo threads in GBS? I can't remember if it was the original guy or the one with the secret furry art, but one year whoever did it modeled Santa on Ulysses 31 and rewrote and recorded the theme song and that's the version that sticks in my head sometimes

Santa Claus
San-ta Clau-ause
Flouting intergalactic law-aws

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Memento posted:

And I have been reading Discworld books for more than 30 years

But I never made the connection to the geographical location in the middle of Ankh-Morpork, with the gates to the Unseen University on the side.

https://wiki.lspace.org/Sator_Square

‘Doh! I completely missed that. Wow.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

moonmazed posted:

what's the deal with danes and ducks, isn't that where those donald duck comics are super popular too

I can't believe you haven't figured out that Danish and Dutch aren't the same.

But yeah, we Danes do love us some Donald Duck. Or we did when I was a kid at least.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mzuri posted:

The differences are minor enough to be within the margin of error.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

FreudianSlippers posted:

You know what the worst thing about icelanders is? They all know how to make other northerners go off (not in the sexy way, they can't do that)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Watermelon seeds are a thing people toast and eat.

It never even once occurred to me as a possibility, even though they're basically right in the same ballpark as pumpkin seeds. I guess because I've spent so much time spitting them out while eating fresh watermelon, they just seemed like instant garbage.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
You have to bake them or else a watermelon grows in your stomach.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FreudianSlippers posted:

Island Germans versus Swamp Germans

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

pik_d posted:

You have to bake them or else a watermelon grows in your stomach.

I'm not wasting my marijuana on a bunch of trash seeds

Platystemon posted:

Island Germans versus Swamp Germans

Surely bog germans

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
well it's a wetland, we've established that, but is it acidic or basic, and does it have wooded vegetation or grasses?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Fen germans and marsh germans

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Mzuri posted:

:saddowns:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

Classics major here to tell you about omicron.

Greek has two “o”s in its alphabet and their names tell you how they sound. “Omicron” literally means “small o” and is the short o sound as in the English word “on”. “Omega” literally means “big O” and is the long o sound as in the English word “oh” :eng101:
O-micron and O-mega. :aaa:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The now standard pronunciation of “omicron” is an absurd affectation, but anyone who doesn’t join in is assumed to be an ignoramus.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

What’s the current pronunciation and what’s the “correct” way? I say it like it rhymes with “megatron”. The first syllable is like “omega”

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I just realized that I don't think I've heard anyone actually pronounce omicron since the variant started, since I basically get my news in written articles and I'm working remotely so I haven't had as much chance to hear people talking about it directly.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Captain Hygiene posted:

I just realized that I don't think I've heard anyone actually pronounce omicron since the variant started, since I basically get my news in written articles and I'm working remotely so I haven't had as much chance to hear people talking about it directly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GjMbMQGOpA

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Old Paddy O'micron, y'know the one down Dingle way.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

mlnhd posted:

What’s the current pronunciation and what’s the “correct” way? I say it like it rhymes with “megatron”. The first syllable is like “omega”

From Bags Fly’s post it sounds like the correct pronunciation would be something like Ah-micron instead of Oh-micron which is how I have been saying it

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Phy posted:

Remember the Crimbo threads in GBS? I can't remember if it was the original guy or the one with the secret furry art, but one year whoever did it modeled Santa on Ulysses 31 and rewrote and recorded the theme song and that's the version that sticks in my head sometimes

Santa Claus
San-ta Clau-ause
Flouting intergalactic law-aws

Of course it was the original guy, the one with the talent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8CsJnwUQEw

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

christmas boots posted:

From Bags Fly’s post it sounds like the correct pronunciation would be something like Ah-micron instead of Oh-micron which is how I have been saying it

Lrrr was pronouncing it wrong the whole time? :ohdear:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
You can just right click and save this lion.

No one can stop you.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Of course I could, but why would anyone want to? Seems pretty worthless to me.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

The now standard pronunciation of “omicron” is an absurd affectation, but anyone who doesn’t join in is assumed to be an ignoramus.

jesus christ

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Oh. My. Cron. Becky.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Merkinman posted:

Lrrr was pronouncing it wrong the whole time? :ohdear:

That's how Omicronians pronounce it. It just means "soil" to them.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46

MariusLecter posted:

You can just right click and save this lion.

No one can stop you.

This was bought for me because I posted in the crypto-mock thread

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Vashro posted:

This was bought for me because I posted in the crypto-mock thread

And now you have a permanent digital record proving you were owned online

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Captain Hygiene posted:

And now you have a permanent digital record proving you were owned online

Big deal he's had that since 2004

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
We're less than a year away from 8 billion people

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Captain Splendid posted:

Let's just see what COVID has up its sleeves first

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Captain Splendid posted:

That's not nearly enough (whites)! lol

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1480564443629207557?s=20

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Toxx posting, Elon will die wearing a diaper.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's desperately important we protect the future of racist losers who can't gently caress, what would the world be without millions of racist losers who can't gently caress we need them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

old bean factory posted:

Toxx posting, Elon will die wearing a diaper.

Tenner says his wearing selfsame is not due to incontinence