Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Let's be honest, Soul Bossa Nova goes with almost anything. It's just that good a track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

indigi posted:

I need to watch Austin Powers again that movie loving owns

rewatched recently, it holds up

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

SmokaDustbowl posted:

you have no idea how stupid and amazing it's gonna get

piss break

its incredible how much better direction, script, and acting is in malignant than in those other two we talked about, holhy poo poo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Truman Peyote posted:

rewatched recently, it holds up

the bit where he wakes up and assumes the soviets won the Cold War is an all-timer

e: oh poo poo I just realized we’re almost at the point where austin could be a 90s raver kid and it would be the same time gap as the original

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

FMguru posted:

the first two are collections of short stories, most of which are modern updatings of classic faerie tales - which is an idea that has been done to death over the last 25 years, so they probably seemed a lot fresher when they were originally written in the 1990s

then comes a five-book series of giant doorstop fantasy novels, telling a single giant story with very high stakes and i tapped out about halfway through. the quality of the prose wasn't very good (probably more the translation that any fault with the author), and the plotting just wasn't interesting enough to keep me on board

theyre good if you want to know more about the setting and the characters, but as stories the prose and plotting are serviceable at best

Thanks, I will check them out. :tipshat:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

OMG SMOKA

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

somebody told me to watch kevin smith’s tusk blind and i did and it was also really hilarious. i mean the movie wasnt great but the twist was hosed up enough that it was worth it

mystes
May 31, 2006

Malignant is the stupidest thing ever and I kind of wish I saw it in a theater.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

Malignant is the stupidest thing ever and I kind of wish I saw it in a theater.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

its kind of a hagiography of the builder of the airplane that got japan nuked. whether or not you agree that it was the americans fault there, its awkward

that being said it IS a good film but

he prob should have skipped that one

i liked the movie and, while it is a hagiography, i think it is a little excessive to say that japan got nuked because jiro horikoshi designed a fighter plane.

horikoshi didn't order the attack on pearl harbor, and if he hadn't designed the zero they would have done it anyway with some other sort of plane.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
the end of malignant is better than new matrix

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fantastisch

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
the monkey finger curled and created the end of malignant

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

can i get that with the fetischpro soundtrack tia

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

i liked the movie and, while it is a hagiography, i think it is a little excessive to say that japan got nuked because jiro horikoshi designed a fighter plane.

horikoshi didn't order the attack on pearl harbor, and if he hadn't designed the zero they would have done it anyway with some other sort of plane.

also in a judge vs miyazaki fight if we are putting wind also rises as the bar for making something bad judge is hosed

though its probably a lot cheaper for judge to pinch out a bad pilot for a cable network so he has more opportunities

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

also in a judge vs miyazaki fight if we are putting wind also rises as the bar for making something bad judge is hosed

though its probably a lot cheaper for judge to pinch out a bad pilot for a cable network so he has more opportunities

mike judge is way more talented than seth mcfarlane and the south park kids. he's probably a reactionary but I'll accept that since he's got convictions, and not in a punitive sense

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
what happened to the aeon flux dude? I can't remember his name off hand. did he go full crazy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVvWqPlKCkQ

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

SmokaDustbowl posted:

what happened to the aeon flux dude? I can't remember his name off hand. did he go full crazy?

man i havent seen these in ages but 3:30 sardaukar chant, also dudes rapelling

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEbe42tR5WY

when I see my nieces and nephews

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Carthag Tuek posted:

man i havent seen these in ages but 3:30 sardaukar chant, also dudes rapelling

they're real good, at least until season 4

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i guess the villeneuve dune is a more sucessful aeon flux than the kurt wimmer one

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

SmokaDustbowl posted:

he made an insane japanese coproduction about alexander the great then disappeared into the cursed world of video games

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

SmokaDustbowl posted:

mike judge is way more talented than seth mcfarlane and the south park kids. he's probably a reactionary but I'll accept that since he's got convictions, and not in a punitive sense

mike judge is a super loving clever and smart person and the biggest curse that he has around his neck, imo, is that idiocracy was shot out as a "haha, but, what if" speculative scifi story, and it ended up being our actual banal reality

but yeah he probably has hot takes on genders and whatnot so i dont wanna excavate too much on what he's been up to in 2022

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

he has a great eye for poo poo thats hosed up & knows how to turn that into entertaining satire

idk if theres like an oral history of idiocracy but looking at the movie itself, i dont wanna put the eugenics angle on him. it is a complete mess, but the main thesis is "the world is getting stupider" and iirc its only the narration & the family tree bookends that actually make it about poor people having too many goddamn kids

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 8, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah i dont think i'll hang the eugenics cross on him, he was making a pretty surface level point on like the dumb-and-hot-is-good culture that was really prevalent when he was active (paris hilton's pubic face etc)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
to be clear, it turns out paris invested in a lot of mutual funds and good stocks and basically played dumb hot bitch to grift, then turned that into 100 million dollars, and i cannot hate on that

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
mike judge lets the satire come from reality rather than creating strawmen like alot of terrible satire.

silicon valley is barely fiction. its the reality of tech re-arranged for maximum comedic effect.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i started watching cobra kai and this is way better than i expected.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

to be clear, it turns out paris invested in a lot of mutual funds and good stocks and basically played dumb hot bitch to grift, then turned that into 100 million dollars, and i cannot hate on that

I will hate on her for guest starring in Veronica Mars

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

polyester concept posted:

it was worth it
I mean yeah subjectivity and all that but no. No it wasn't.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

it would take 100 smokas to get me to watch a kevin smith movie

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

wow, someone who became famous because her family had a lot of money wound up making even more money by doing what financial advisors tell her to do? this is unheard of, she must be a genius!

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
finally watched the lighthouse

jesus

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I liked that they gave the mermaid a shark vagina

e: spoilers I guess

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 8, 2022

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

Do rich people actually 'invest' their money? If I inherited 10 million dollars the first thing I'd do is hire someone that knows more about investing than me to invest it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

You can pay me to invest your money. Returns guaranteed!*

*returns may be negative

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

TOOT BOOT posted:

Do rich people actually 'invest' their money? If I inherited 10 million dollars the first thing I'd do is hire someone that knows more about investing than me to invest it
the contrast is to donald trump, who was handed a giant pile of money by the parents at age 18, worked tirelessly as a big-shot dealmaker to make it grow into a massive fortune, and managed to go bankrupt four times and require multiple family bailouts

hilton was handed a giant pile of money, told her wealth advisers to manage it for her (mostly in hands-off index funds) while she lived off an allowance (plus whatever she earned doing appearances and endorsements and influencering) and her nest egg has grown a zillion-fold.

if trump had taken his late-70s fortune and just invested most of it in basic index funds (like hilton did) his wealth would be truly astronomical

the point being that paris hilton is one thousand better at being a businesswoman than donald "the art of the deal" trump

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yep thats it. excellent explanation

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i watched malignant and while i agree it was dumb, it wasn't so dumb it was awesome or anything. it was just regular dumb. not terrible, and it wasn't a waste of time, but i could've been watching a move that was so dumb it was fuckin rad (idk like mandy again) or one that wasn't dumb at all

opportunity cost is a hell of a thing; give it a pass unless you have tons of time to spend on movies that are just kinda "fun i guess"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/ewnewsbahamas/status/1479459036957495298

gently caress