Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

The newest book in this 10 book series is awesome.

Can I just skip to that book?

Nope, you have to read the first 9 books that suck. I did over the past 7 years!

So you are saying that I can enjoy the 10th book in 7 years?

No! You can enjoy it now. After you pack 7 years of poo poo into however long you can deal with it until you hunt me down and kick my bad opinions in the nuts.

Does it really take you 7 years to read 9 books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
MMOs like DAoC and WoW were interesting during the leveling up phase cause you had to play carefully. Creeping thru high lvl zones to get someplace made it fun. You had to pick your fights carefully and tried to avoid extra aggro. I play Elder Scrolls Online and I like it but it lacks that tension. In ESO I can pull like 10 mobs and survive solo, never any sense of "oh poo poo I shouldn't be here"

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the number 1 cardinal sin of gamers is mistaking tedium for tension or difficulty

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Triarii posted:

I haven't played FF14 - is it the same as WoW as far as gameplay? Hotbars, cooldowns, red circles to avoid, all that stuff?

I've gotten roped into trying a few MMOs with goons over the years and they all turned out to be WoW clones with different art. I don't get how people aren't completely sick of that gameplay by now.

Yeah the same thing. It also looks like an AAA game from 2011.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Excelzior posted:

the number 1 cardinal sin of gamers is mistaking tedium for tension or difficulty

I'm sure in your head that seemed deep

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

SilvergunSuperman posted:

then clearly you don't know me :confused:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Vic posted:

Yeah the same thing. It also looks like an AAA game from 2011.

AAA games from 2021 don't look any better than 2011 ones anyways

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Ultima Online was the only mmo that was genuinely good and they managed to make it terrible when they added in quests and loot-based gameplay.
City of Heroes was pretty fun with irl friends for a while at least.

I've played Dark Age of Camelot, WoW, Everquest, Neverwinter, ESO and Star wars galaxies and a few others and they were all loving terrible.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

This probably isn't an unpopular opinion but games need to stop being open world unless you can do like Witcher 3 where there is tonnes of unique and interesting content all over the place. I'm playing Sinking City at the moment and the detectivey bits are great, as is the general atmosphere, the combat is mediocre but the constant need to run back and forth through a completely empty open world is really tedious. Especially because the city is, y'know, sinking so you walk down a street and then you have to get a boat for a few blocks then walk some more. Also you can't swim in the water for very long or you'll die.

It really reminds me of LA Noire, which had this super-detailed open world that painstakingly recreated a big chunk of LA in the 40s right down to billboards that existed IRL but there was absolutely nothing to do in 99% of it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
the 3 best mmos are ragnarok online, legend of mir 2 and eve online

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

No that's a very succinct description of lots of the weird hardcore MMORPG types.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
You aren't willing to grind Gorilla Bandits for 15 hours a day on the chance that they drop a 0.1% chance Cursed Plantain? 25 times?
Psh, get gud noob. :smuggo:

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

AAA games from 2021 don't look any better than 2011 ones anyways

The jump in graphics quality from launch era PS2/Original Xbox/GCN graphics to late era PS2/Original Xbox/GCN graphics was legit bigger than the jump from late PS2/Original Xbox/GCN era to the modern day. Compare the difference between Halo 1 and Halo 2 to the difference between Halo 2 and Halo Infinite. The latter look more alike despite being 4 console generations apart.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I liked Everquest because early on that game was hard as gently caress and super punishing, so it gave me an actual adrenaline rush a lot of the time.

Yeah man I played everquest in my mid teens and that game is one of the scariest games I've played. Dying was insanely punishing and the fact that you had to go on those harrowing corpse runs was ridiculous. Almost everything could gently caress you up so quickly and it made the world seem so dangerous, and made populated zones feel safer in a way that made the community really have an effect on the world. I used to love to just explore the world, and look in some of those deeper zones where you really had no reason to go to just to see what was going on in there and how the vibe was.

https://www.youtube.com/c/Flatts

This guy makes some great videos where he levels up an Iksar monk and does a ton of convoluted and difficult quests for items, they're great to watch.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

Yeah man I played everquest in my mid teens and that game is one of the scariest games I've played. Dying was insanely punishing and the fact that you had to go on those harrowing corpse runs was ridiculous. Almost everything could gently caress you up so quickly and it made the world seem so dangerous, and made populated zones feel safer in a way that made the community really have an effect on the world.

That's a really good way to put it, and totally true.

It was so exciting doing something that was sketchy as hell for your current level either way, pulling it off was incredible or everyone running for their fuckin life if things imploded. There was a real d&d feel where a few unlucky combat rounds might totally screw you if things were close.

Plus this was the era where people would just hang out in chat rooms so if you wanted you could just chill for hours with your friends doing something relatively safe.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

galagazombie posted:

The jump in graphics quality from launch era PS2/Original Xbox/GCN graphics to late era PS2/Original Xbox/GCN graphics was legit bigger than the jump from late PS2/Original Xbox/GCN era to the modern day. Compare the difference between Halo 1 and Halo 2 to the difference between Halo 2 and Halo Infinite. The latter look more alike despite being 4 console generations apart.

Yup. "Cutting edge" graphics look maybe 20% better than late PS2 graphics but cost like 100x-1000x more money to produce. Their main function is just to act as a wealth signifier to show the difference between big expensive AAA games and small-budget indie games.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Yup. "Cutting edge" graphics look maybe 20% better than late PS2 graphics but cost like 100x-1000x more money to produce. Their main function is just to act as a wealth signifier to show the difference between big expensive AAA games and small-budget indie games.

not true ps2 was limited in the number of dudes you could have on screen. ps3 is the peak of dynasty warriors "number of dudes I can fight at once" so ps3 is peak video game console

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

ff14 is fine. at last look, ARR and heavensward are also free? i know the barrier to entry is cheap and it's better than any other mmo on the market right now.

i'm at the beginning of stormblood and not really playing, and haven't for a few months but nah I've had a dandy loving time in that game. It's fine. It's seriously fine. It's not amazing, but it's good for a MMO.

They cut out a shitload of the ARR tedium as well.

I dunno, I would never let this thread convince me to not play something. Y'all are way too miserable and ruined by a grinding, meaningless life and that's just not a respectable pov on entertainment lol

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

You really can't trust this thread for actual opinions. Its for funny hot takes, and people that are too old to enjoy video games anymore. Like 47 year old IT guys saying that games just aren't what they used to be, dammit.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It feels like too long since we've talked about Dark Souls.

Is 3 easy? I'm not that far in, a handful of bosses, but I haven't had my rear end fuckin rocked constantly like 1, 2 and Bloodborne.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I remember running an instance in WoW when I was level 50 something, and the priest in our group kept attacking stuff and pulling aggro. We were all like "Please stop doing that" and they said "No, but, I need the experience, I've nearly leveled, then I'll stop".

Like, they got a priest to level 54 or whatever, without realizing you get the same XP even if it's not you killing stuff. Like, you literally don't have to know how to play the game, to get to the end of the game. You don't have to understand any of it, you just have to show up, and you'll progress until there's no more progression left.

I mean, I played up to level 59 in WoW (then the burning crusade came out and I just lost any kind of interest) and I'm playing New World at the moment. But, guys, these are NOT games. They're just dopamine administering apps. Like you put in enough input that the 'ding' works at triggering dopamine, but that's it. The input isn't real effort, or real skill, or, you know, any meaningful interaction. It's really just 'input'. Give input -> get dopamine.

The PvP stuff, fine, there's a bit of game there, but it's never gonna be good because it's all utterly hamstrung by virtue of the fact it's hanging off this other, completely inane game.

Is 3 easy? I'm not that far in, a handful of bosses, but I haven't had my rear end fuckin rocked constantly like 1, 2 and Bloodborne.

I don't think it's easy, I think it's just that because it retreads a lot of the same ground, by this point you've got the muscle memory for it all. It doesn't really present you with any 'new' challenges, or, none that I can recall. I did find that some bosses I was expecting to be hard I did first time, but I couldn't tell you why, because on paper they're just as hard as they look?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It's almost as though the most successful MMOs are dumbed down to the point of being appealing to very dumb people

And what's really amazing is that MOBAs appeal to people who are even dumber than that

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Riot Bimbo posted:

ff14 is fine. at last look, ARR and heavensward are also free? i know the barrier to entry is cheap and it's better than any other mmo on the market right now.

at last look, lol. nobody is allowed to play ff14 for free anymore, because their queues are already nightmarish with paid players only

QuarkJets posted:

And what's really amazing is that MOBAs appeal to people who are even dumber than that

it's like trying to go swimming in a septic tank that's half full of poo poo and half full of kindergarteners

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Riot Bimbo posted:

i'm at the beginning of stormblood and not really playing, and haven't for a few months but nah I've had a dandy loving time in that game. It's fine. It's seriously fine. It's not amazing, but it's good for a MMO.

I dunno, I would never let this thread convince me to not play something. Y'all are way too miserable and ruined by a grinding, meaningless life and that's just not a respectable pov on entertainment lol

If I wanted a meaningful, grindless life playing an MMO would honestly be the last thing on my list of things to do

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

I found 3 the hardest but in a “bad game design” sense rather than a “git gud” sense. Bloodborne was the hardest otherwise but it’s difficulty came from its gameplay being precision tuned rather than 3 whose difficulty comes from being a mismatched mess.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Riot Bimbo posted:

I'm sure everyone is happy that you can have fun with MMOs. But "good for an a MMO" just means something like really comfy wet socks.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'm gonna try FF14 because there's nothing coming out for like 2 months that i wanna play

whats the funnest class for the first playthrough?

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit

Caesar Saladin posted:

I'm gonna try FF14 because there's nothing coming out for like 2 months that i wanna play

Honestly every single job is boring until level 60 when only half the classes suck. That said, playing lancer/dragoon and archer/bard at least lets you feel like you're playing the game during combat through the first expansion. The payoff for sticking with it through the first three expansions is that Shadowbringers and Endwalker are some of the best games put out to date.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

They still arent selling copies to new players at the moment so I recommend the Imagineer

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Caesar Saladin posted:

Catgirl

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Caesar Saladin posted:

Yeah man I played everquest in my mid teens and that game is one of the scariest games I've played. Dying was insanely punishing and the fact that you had to go on those harrowing corpse runs was ridiculous. Almost everything could gently caress you up so quickly and it made the world seem so dangerous, and made populated zones feel safer in a way that made the community really have an effect on the world. I used to love to just explore the world, and look in some of those deeper zones where you really had no reason to go to just to see what was going on in there and how the vibe was.

https://www.youtube.com/c/Flatts

This guy makes some great videos where he levels up an Iksar monk and does a ton of convoluted and difficult quests for items, they're great to watch.

Yeah everquest loving owned

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

surely there are a million good games that have already come out that you haven't played but instead you're like "can't believe I have to wait 2 months for thing I want, guess in the meantime I'll pull out all my fingernails"

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

nah i've really played everything i'm interested in

my brother has been bugging me to play it anyway. It seems like I won't be able to play unless my account from 2016 i played for a few weeks will let me log in.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Bioshock 1 rules, it's got maybe my favourite ever setting for a videogame, yeah the end boss is terrible and it does kind of fall apart for the last 10% generally but in terms of presentation, story, the richness of those audio diaries, world design I think its just one of the greatest games ever made even if the shooting feels a bit naff. Played it start to finish maybe 4 times over the years.

Bioshock 2 just didn't work for me, it felt far far too much like "quick make a sequel", they improved the gameplay in subtle ways but the story just did felt so tacked on. I played about 6 hours and just never went back.

Infinite has a lot of memorable moments, the plot is dumb and stupid but yeah its a time travel videogame what did you expect, I don't love it nearly as much as 1 just because a city in the sky felt less impactful than a city under the sea and it takes away from the creepy horror element that I really go for but its a decent enough time. Played it start to finish once at release.

Haven't touched the DLCs which is just a general rule I have for games unless I'm buying them at the same time in an Ultimate edition or whatever.

These opinions aren't nearly as spicy as I was expecting. :colbert:

For me, I 100% agree that Bioshock 1 still rules. I even like the shooting, within the context that it really is a direct follow-up to SS2 which also had clunky shooting mechanics. (Also if you avoid relying on the tommy gun too much, play more stealth/ambush focused, and use the right ammo types at the right times most of the gunplay problems go away because things just die.)

Bioshock 2 worked for me, but I do feel like it exists in that weird zone where people sometimes try to oversell it as a vastly superior game to 1, and it's not. The combat is definitely better, but the story is also wonky. It does actually try to go for *something* but it's held back by so much of its premise being fan-ficcy.

Infinite was one of the games that convinced me to stop pre-ordering poo poo. The mechanics are fine, but the game fails to do anything with them. The city sucks because it's pretty but ultimately vapid, you never get the same sense of Columbia that you do Rapture. And Elizabeth is the most overhyped partner character ever. Basically I was sucked in by the first few hours, then the game was grey sludge for several more hours, then I was dazzled by the ending that everyone else hates because I'm a sucker for multi-verse bullshit (and even then I'm aware it gets pretty sloppy with it).

Doctor J Off posted:

The only MMO I was ever interested in was Uru: Ages Beyond Myst, but ultimately I never played because of how unappealing they are to me. The combat is slow and boring even compared to the slowest of PS1 JRPGs, and because it's an mmo with so many player characters there's no actual immersion in the role playing aspects because no one takes it seriously. Also, in Western made MMOs there is a serious dearth of cat girls

URU is both still around in online form and repackaged singleplayer form, no reason not to check it out at this point!

Also all three of your complaints do not apply to City of Heroes. :colbert: Well okay I could see immersion being a problem, but there is an RP scene. :shrug:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

John Murdoch posted:

These opinions aren't nearly as spicy as I was expecting. :colbert:

Haha, there's just not much spice to be had, don't get me wrong, I can totally understand someone being pissed off about Infinite if they had been anticipating it etc, looking at my steam achievements I didn't play it till a good 9 months after it came out in a flurry of late December activity (and probably from a steam sale)

edit: lol just went back and I paid £6.24 for bioschock infinite, yeah no wonder I loved it, if I'd paid £40 and beaten it in 3 days I'd have been pissed

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

!Klams posted:

I mean, I played up to level 59 in WoW (then the burning crusade came out and I just lost any kind of interest) and I'm playing New World at the moment. But, guys, these are NOT games. They're just dopamine administering apps. Like you put in enough input that the 'ding' works at triggering dopamine, but that's it. The input isn't real effort, or real skill, or, you know, any meaningful interaction. It's really just 'input'. Give input -> get dopamine.

I really wish I could get back all the space in my head that's taken up by obsolete vanilla-tbc hunter and raid boss mechanics

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I played a catboy

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
unpopular opinion, i dont give a poo poo about the aesthetic design of my character in a videogame, character creations are a trap for people who think their choices matter in games and the fact that so many mmo/ff14 players are more obsessed with what their character looks like than how the game plays tells you all you need to know

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I prefer for my character to have the aesthetic of an @ symbol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
If you don't name you character something like "afasfds" you probably want to marry it and should seek treatment