Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

ughhhh posted:

Do those honeywell and 3m goggles have a good enough seal for teargas etc? If I'm stocking up for all this COVID stuff I'd like for it to work whatever is gonna come down the line in the next few months too.

which goggles in particular? you probably want one with an elastic strap and rubber seal for gases

Dr. VooDoo posted:

How needed are goggles? I wear glasses and having those on plus goggles would probably be a pain in the rear end

i started wearing some non-air-tight lab glasses (the big plastic ones that go over glasses) a few weeks ago when i go to the grocery mostly for droplet protection and rain. i don't think it's a major source of transmission if you have a good N95+ mask or respirator.

e; snipe. some friends asked me to make a one-page infographic they could hand out when doing n95 mask giveaways so i whipped something up. thoughts welcome

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death of Innocence
Jan 12, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

that Vinay Prasad guy can't fathom the idea that delaying an eventuality can still have value if it means being hospitalized for COVID in March or April (assuming things get "better", however marginally) rather than being hospitalized for COVID tomorrow

of course, if you confronted him with this he'd probably say something like "well if you're a vaccinated 20-30something without comorbities then you're going to NEED hospitalization anyway, so again there's no need to resist catching COVID if it means having to put up with the inconvenience of wearing a mask"

Because you can catch covid repeatedly without limit, delaying is the wrong word. Delaying reads to me as conceding to the one and done chickenpox myth that keeps being spread. I don’t mean to disagree with you, I just object to the phrasing. A few people, through considerable effort, careful choices, and good luck may never catch covid, so it isn’t inevitable. No one ever describes avoiding catching any other infectious disease as delaying it, instead for example every day you avoid catching the flu is one more day of your life that you aren’t sick, and potentially one fewer infection in your lifetime. The “everyone catches it eventually” line is a rationalization that people use to avoid taking any precautions so in practice it becomes I can’t avoid it entirely so why not catch it all the time. With our current understanding of covid, our goal is to avoid catching it to the best of our ability, and if we can’t entirely eliminate the possibility of catching it, then we are trying to catch it as few times as possible (the same as with any other pathogen, we never want to get sick, and when we fail, we never want to get sick again). It’s always in your best interest not to get sick, so unless you are already sick at any given point in time, now or later, the default is that you are trying not to get sick.

I agree with avoiding covid now at peak hospital utilization, but you wouldn’t deliberately change your behavior to increase your risk of catching it later, so I don’t think of the timing of the infection as within our intentional control, short of somehow choosing deliberately to become infected, or to knowingly abandon precautions.

Vinay and all these other covid denialists promoting natural immunity lie by describing covid as though it were a different disease than it is, and from there they retreat to a logical fallacy where the claim is that the best way to survive an accidental covid infection is to already have survived an intentional one, and that the best way to avoid death in the future is to fail at trying to die now.

They aren’t arguing in good faith, they’re pushing propaganda in favor of fully Open Bidened capitalism.

Death of Innocence fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 8, 2022

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Dr. VooDoo posted:

How needed are goggles? I wear glasses and having those on plus goggles would probably be a pain in the rear end

Unclear. As I said before, there's some evidence for ocular transmission, but it certainly isn't a major vector. If you have some spare cash, I'd say go for it since why not, but it's definitely not. As I said before, the only real evidence for it - because it's not like COVID is a big deal so people haven't done much research on the subject - is that early numbers showed that folks wearing glasses seemed to get sick less than people who did not, all else being equal.

So I've been rocking a face shield. But apparently that's not ideal, so yeah.

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

Mola Yam posted:

"collapse" always gets talked about like there are two camps: sudden vs. gradual

it's the same thing though, just at different time scales. it's the way any decayed system falls apart. a rotten fruit can still look ~ok~, but squeeze the right part and the whole thing is revealed to be junk.

the soviet union was declining for years, but it was still very much a thing in the middle of 1991. six months later, it wasn't.

american control over afghanistan had maybe waned a bit, but if you weren't paying that much attention, it still seemed pretty good on the morning of the 15th of august

anyway just thinking about this, no reason.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
got covid, rip my telomeres

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

corona familiar posted:

which goggles in particular? you probably want one with an elastic strap and rubber seal for gases

i started wearing some non-air-tight lab glasses (the big plastic ones that go over glasses) a few weeks ago when i go to the grocery mostly for droplet protection and rain. i don't think it's a major source of transmission if you have a good N95+ mask or respirator.

e; snipe. some friends asked me to make a one-page infographic they could hand out when doing n95 mask giveaways so i whipped something up. thoughts welcome

how cool would it be if our government provided masks for everyone for free and taught them how to use them.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1479570561311383554
:monocle:

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

Wang Commander posted:

you'll be fine

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

snake and bake posted:

I wear swim googles and a half mask and ear plugs, I don't give a gently caress if it's overkill or if randos think I look insane. I don't want covid

That being said, I wouldn't wear a face shield because it might trap air against my face. Face shields are for protection against droplets, they're not very useful against aerosols

Here's a study about it

Actually, reading that study, doesn't that just mean that you shouldn't use a faceshield as a substitute for a mask, which is something we all knew? It seems like as long as you have a good mask under the faceshield - which I and you do - that a faceshield is fine.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
China is just flexing on everyone at this point https://twitter.com/shenzhencity/status/1479710924441276416?s=21

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

THS2 posted:

you'll be fine

77% long covid babyyyy

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Bar Ran Dun posted:

oh yeah universities should be remote.

elementary not so much.

we should be keeping restaurants closed and anything that could be wfh, wfh but we aren’t and won’t.

We had several very serious papers in summer 2020 basically saying that yeah, you can have schools or the general consumer economy, but can't you really have both going at the same time if you want to keep things under control. Those experts were ignored and we decided to listen to Emily Oster.

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyoYf7rZVGI

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Unclear. As I said before, there's some evidence for ocular transmission, but it certainly isn't a major vector. If you have some spare cash, I'd say go for it since why not, but it's definitely not. As I said before, the only real evidence for it - because it's not like COVID is a big deal so people haven't done much research on the subject - is that early numbers showed that folks wearing glasses seemed to get sick less than people who did not, all else being equal.

So I've been rocking a face shield. But apparently that's not ideal, so yeah.

I wouldn't be surprised if glasses wearers being somewhat safer was because glasses fog up if you have a lovely seal on your mask tbh

Death of Innocence
Jan 12, 2006

Gryi posted:

Me and my two young girls just popped positive tonight. No amount of asking that they loving require masks in pre-k worked, it was always met with “county guidelines that said masks are not required in daycare!” only took this loving long to have it actually get my kid. Then she spread it to all of us. lol. lmao.

They might get over it just fine, yes, but I’m your typical goon. I’m 37, with high BMI, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, outgrew premature ventricular contractions when I hit puberty, occasional weed smoker but I can’t admit to it, have an inhaler for bronchitis prescribed about a month ago, but currently don’t use it.

I called my GP’s after hours number, and the on-call physician basically treated me like I was drug seeking, when I asked if there was anything that could be done given my general fat rear end conditions.

Anyone have any experience scoring the sweet sweet monoclonal antibodies or the new antivirals? Or is it really not recommended because I’m vaxxed, boosted, and not 60? I have a feeling it’s all just sitting in a cage somewhere locked up, rotting.

gently caress

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/amp/Monoclonal-antibodies-can-save-lives-But-Bay-16711517.php

Here’s an article from a while back when people were still using regeneron. There are just random clinics out there that specialize in doing monoclonal antibody infusions. Now with Omicron being sometimes estimated at like 95% of cases, you need sotrovimab which is in short supply and being rationed everywhere. I think you might as well try to find one of these regeneron clinics near you and call and ask them about sotrovimab. As far as I know they won’t have any or they won’t be able to give you some, but it doesn’t hurt to ask and you never know. Even if they don’t have any they might be able to point you in the right direction. Your doctor might not have any, and the hospital is probably rationing theirs, but if any of these clinics get some they’re going to want to get IVs into arms, so this might be worth checking out, though the odds might be pretty low right now.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Stereotype posted:

how cool would it be if our government provided masks for everyone for free and taught them how to use them.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Stereotype posted:

but that would be admitting covid isn't a mild thing

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

crepeface posted:

dont worry we'll run out of people eventually

And liberals still won't give me my permanent residence back.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Had to be a Bad Dad. My daughter wanted to have a friend over for a sleepover, but friend isn't fully vaxxed and hasn't been super careful. With cases skyrocketing here now I said no. She was really not happy about that. Felt bad but just can't do it right now.

I showed her (she's 11) the charts with how cases are higher than ever now. That caused her to go on a little tirade about how stupid the principal is for not doing anything and that they shouldn't be in school. Sadly she thinks this will go on forever, I hope she wrong lol. How many have kids that are bigger doomers than they are?

Also, couple days ago a distant friend of my wife's was posting how she got covid (unjabbed) and how bad it was. Then her husband got it, also unvaxxed. Then he got admitted to the hospital. When my wife showed me he'd been put in ventilation I just said "well he's going to die".

My daughter is right, we live in hell and everyone is dumb.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

SirPablo posted:

Had to be a Bad Dad. My daughter wanted to have a friend over for a sleepover, but friend isn't fully vaxxed and hasn't been super careful. With cases skyrocketing here now I said no. She was really not happy about that. Felt bad but just can't do it right now.

I showed her (she's 11) the charts with how cases are higher than ever now. That caused her to go on a little tirade about how stupid the principal is for not doing anything and that they shouldn't be in school. Sadly she thinks this will go on forever, I hope she wrong lol. How many have kids that are bigger doomers than they are?

Also, couple days ago a distant friend of my wife's was posting how she got covid (unjabbed) and how bad it was. Then her husband got it, also unvaxxed. Then he got admitted to the hospital. When my wife showed me he'd been put in ventilation I just said "well he's going to die".

your daughter is more qualified to be lead the CDC than the current person if that makes u feel any better haha

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Crazypoops posted:

Lol you could have just had everyone wear n95s for a month and we'd be fine lmao

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

drone skywriting used for public health initiatives instead of advertisting... what a authoritarian dystopian hellstate

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

And liberals still won't give me my permanent residence back.

have you tried being more white and rich

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I don't know poo poo about anything but I feel like eye protection is most valuable when in close enough range to be hit by people's projectile fluids.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

crepeface posted:

have you tried being more white and rich

freedom and VOTES will lead you there

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Google Butt posted:

your daughter is more qualified to be lead the CDC than the current person if that makes u feel any better haha

That's scary, so no.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

SirPablo posted:

How many have kids that are bigger doomers than they are?

Man, that's a loving trip. Smart kid, though.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

corona familiar posted:

Wow! this is a really great infographic. my only suggestion is to add that the user should rotate between a few masks a week to let the mask air out. otherwise, looks great! very concise yet informative.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

SirPablo posted:

Get your kid an account, sounds like she knows whats what

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
so during NYE we had a DANCING BAN that some people tried to get around at a private party at a fancy bar

quote:

Police attended The George as part of a routine inspection around 11.30pm on New Year’s Eve and found the doors locked and the windows blocked out.

Officers could not get in through the front door and so scaled the wall to get inside where they will allege they found “several hundred” people attending a private, ticketed event.

Police Commissioner Chris Dawson said he had seen vision of many of the guests flouting mask-wearing rules and dancing, with evidence SafeWA QR code posters had been ripped off the walls.

they are now getting charged in court :xickos:

quote:

It is described as a "sophisticated restaurant and bar" on its website.

The George bar licensee and manager, a 41-year-old Joondanna man, was charged with two counts of failing to comply with a direction on Friday.

The George bar is licensed to Jashan Tavern Pty Ltd.

The event promoter, a 25-year-old man from Karratha in WA's Pilbara, was also charged with the same offences, as well as the bar itself as a corporate entity.

The pair are set to appear in court next week.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
How great would an 11 year old going full doomer on the D&D thread be?

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O65N5WuQfSU

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

I had 4 of the Auras with rubber-band type head straps sitting around where one of the straps had snapped well before the mask was used up. Got some fabric-type elastic strap material today and just sat down replacing all the broken straps with superior elastic ones (not too hard to prise the legs of the staples up, replace the strap and then crush the staple back down again). Feels good to give them all a second go rather than just chucking them and using new ones.

Also can confirm that going indoor bouldering wearing an Aura the entire time is quite possible and didn't feel hard to breathe at all (I have ones with exhalation valves though).

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Wang Commander posted:

1 virus vs a 2L mRNA vaccine

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Wang Commander posted:

mr president, "max" has fallen

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Trixie Hardcore posted:

How great would an 11 year old going full doomer on the D&D thread be?

They’d love it. I feel like a guy like OOCC has spent his entire life waiting to explain to a young girl that the obvious things she knows about the world are actually much more nuanced than she thinks

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Blackhawk posted:

I had 4 of the Auras with rubber-band type head straps sitting around where one of the straps had snapped well before the mask was used up. Got some fabric-type elastic strap material today and just sat down replacing all the broken straps with superior elastic ones (not too hard to prise the legs of the staples up, replace the strap and then crush the staple back down again). Feels good to give them all a second go rather than just chucking them and using new ones.

Also can confirm that going indoor bouldering wearing an Aura the entire time is quite possible and didn't feel hard to breathe at all (I have ones with exhalation valves though).

where'd you get the fabric strap material from? having the exact same issue with my auras, and the ones with the fabric straps aren't available here :argh:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
woah I missed like 50 pages, what happened what’s the latest in crack pings

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
drat. only 3 hospitals with beds left in los angeles.

bad time to have a car accident/stroke/heart attack

or be alive.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

durrneez posted:

drat. only 3 hospitals with beds left in los angeles.

bad time to have a car accident/stroke/heart attack

or be alive.

curse these soft clumsy vessels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

woah I missed like 50 pages, what happened what’s the latest in crack pings

CDC Director Walensky had a press conference that just doubled-down on "it's mild, go back to loving work, people only die WITH covid, not OF covid"

anyway ...

https://twitter.com/EdsonCGuido/status/1479724753267343363

we've started entering the phase where every day is going to be a record-breaker from the day before