Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it gives you cancer if you chew for some years so try not to get addicted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Yeah I've seen old Taiwanese dudes missing half their jaws so I'm not about to go hog wild.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

What is it? Chewing tobacco? Like RedMan?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its betel nut (areca nut). you chew it and it gives you a mild high like qat or tobacco

youre supposed to have it w betel leaf and sometimes slaked lime. it turns your teeth this weird red color. of the rich world, its basically taiwanese peeps who use it and of the middle income world its a buncha se asians, south asians and some chinese peeps

and it give you cancer

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jan 7, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

its betel nut (areca nut). you chew it and it gives you a mild high like qat or tobacco

youre supposed to have it w betel leaf and sometimes slaked lime. it turns your teeth this weird red color. of the rich world, its basically taiwanese peeps who use it and of the middle income world its a buncha se asians, south asians and some chinese peeps

and it give you cancer

Interesting thanks!

Kinda curious to try it tbh. I’ll chew some tobacco every so often because it kinda tastes good.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

betel nut is like taking imagine taking dip, but worse?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I think the flavor is far better than tobacco.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
qat is the most weird one actually because every non african non arabic place bans the poo poo out of it because the active ingredient is like chemically this fuckin close to ephedrine and other ampetamine precursors

and the places w serious traditions of chewing it just... they chew it as like a dad drug. hang out w the bros and chew some qat

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

GoutPatrol posted:

betel nut is like taking imagine taking dip, but worse?

the active ingredient looks interesting and has some potentially good effects https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arecoline

the plant probably shouldn't be chewed though because of cancer

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Betel nut is also very popular in Southern India.

My dad loves it. He loves to buy it from the street vendors as they do their little production of putting several multi coloured pastes and nuts etc into the wrapped up .Betel leaf. As a little kid it was fun to watch

I don't like it myself, but I do like the Betel flavoured lollies you can buy called Pan Pasand. They taste like a chemical spill, and probably give you cancer quicker than the real thing.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Vesi posted:

the active ingredient looks interesting and has some potentially good effects https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arecoline

the plant probably shouldn't be chewed though because of cancer

It's really, really cardiotoxic.

It feels like really strong tobacco that makes you get super hot and sweaty, you chew too much your heart pounds and you get super anxious, it also makes your throat close up and breathing gets hard if you chew too much, like a tight throat is a normal thing from it. It feels poisonous and sucks, would be the shittiest addiction.

Yeah maybe it's good for memory or something but so is nicotine and so are a bunch of not lovely super toxic things.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

they still got the ladies in leather bikinis in plastic boxes on the side of the highway selling it in taiwan?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
In Chun King Mansions in HK the corners of the stairwells used to have massive brown stains all up the walls. I thought maybe the restaurant kitchens were killing chickens out there, but it was just gross betel nut spit.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

Ailumao posted:

they still got the ladies in leather bikinis in plastic boxes on the side of the highway selling it in taiwan?

That was way more confusing to me than any KTV I ever went to in China

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Hello thread I bring you the gift of unsolicited mail from a cult! I received this gift today in the mail, I could see the Chinese characters through the cheap envelope, and the English handwriting on the envelope is very Chinese so I knew it was Not For Me™ but I didn't know who it would be for.

I have no idea what this says but the handwriting is very nice. It's definitely from the JW's and I don't want to have a loving thing to do with those nutjobs. Any translation help or clarification/correction of what I think I received would be great! Also how do the JW's fit in with the Chinese diaspora and the mainland community? I'd imagine the CCP does not like them.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ailumao posted:

Not leather clad but wearing high heels and skirts, yeah.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

yaffle posted:

In Chun King Mansions in HK the corners of the stairwells used to have massive brown stains all up the walls. I thought maybe the restaurant kitchens were killing chickens out there, but it was just gross betel nut spit.

One of the other brown stains in chung king mansions is when a guy with a pot of oil on a cart got his wheel caught getting off an elevator and splashed me. So some of the stains are from the kitchens.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

mikerock posted:

Hello thread I bring you the gift of unsolicited mail from a cult! I received this gift today in the mail, I could see the Chinese characters through the cheap envelope, and the English handwriting on the envelope is very Chinese so I knew it was Not For Me™ but I didn't know who it would be for.

I have no idea what this says but the handwriting is very nice. It's definitely from the JW's and I don't want to have a loving thing to do with those nutjobs. Any translation help or clarification/correction of what I think I received would be great! Also how do the JW's fit in with the Chinese diaspora and the mainland community? I'd imagine the CCP does not like them.

I dunno about Chinese JWs, but in Korea I got plenty of unsolicited proselytization letters just like this one. They addressed them to "the foreign teacher" or, wonderfully, just "the foreigner" and they always cracked me up.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I dunno about Chinese JWs, but in Korea I got plenty of unsolicited proselytization letters just like this one. They addressed them to "the foreign teacher" or, wonderfully, just "the foreigner" and they always cracked me up.

tl dr

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So, apparently the Chinese government has stopped approving video games, and a bunch if Chinese game companies have gone under because none of their products can release. Is there any particular reason the CCP hates games or is it just Xi Jinping being a grumpy old man

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

So, apparently the Chinese government has stopped approving video games, and a bunch if Chinese game companies have gone under because none of their products can release. Is there any particular reason the CCP hates games or is it just Xi Jinping being a grumpy old man

If I remember rightly it was part of a crackdown on the kind of mobile games that require tonnes of microtransactions that the Chinese yoof were supposedly wasting their time with.

So partly due to Xi being a "get off my lawn" old man waving his fist at young people playing video games that he doesn't understand, and partly the CCP being it's authoritarian self, and being unable to deal with anything with subtlety or nuance, and just coming down like a sledgehammer.

But I could be very wrong on both of those points.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
the country has to get its drat grades up

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

my homie dhall posted:

the country has to get its drat grades up

Only through rote memorization.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

mikerock posted:

Yeah it's just a JW saying "Dear neighbor, I'm a Jehovah's witness, because I can't visit you personally, here's a leaflet...please visit the website to learn more, thanks for reading"

Why do they think you can read Chinese?

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me
It was always fun when Mandarin-speaking JW missionaries come to my family's home and I answer the door, because I'm a Chinese dude with a full beard that I tend to grow out due to laziness. I can see them start to panic because they don't know what to make of me, but they just go into their script to tell me about an "important message", clearly trying to get done with it as fast as possible. Once in a while, they just ask me if I speak Mandarin, hand me the pamphlets, and run away.

Another weird tidbit is the JW's who come to proselytize are always either young white kids or older Korean ladies.

CIGNX fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jan 8, 2022

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

thetoughestbean posted:

Video games often contain skeletons. Skeletons have been deemed too spooky for the Chinese people. That’s basically the gist of it.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

CIGNX posted:

Another weird tidbit is the JW's who come to proselytize are always either young white kids or older Korean ladies.

you gotta do the proselytizing to get your high score up so you can be one of the 144k who gets resurrected or something. kids and adjummas both have infinite energy

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Bum the Sad posted:

Video games often contain skeletons. Skeletons have been deemed too spooky for the Chinese people. That’s basically the gist of it.

no, that crackdown was years ago, this ones been in the past year and has been completely across the board except for chinese tech majors

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

They also increased the scope of the ban to include detective games (on-line and off-line).

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Don't want anyone getting any ideas about investigating crimes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The police are always correct and the guilty always get what they deserve, so you can't have interesting investigation types of stories. North Korean movies have the same rule.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

no, that crackdown was years ago, this ones been in the past year and has been completely across the board except for chinese tech majors

They got rid of existing skeletons then. This crackdown eliminates sources of future skeletons. You can’t have a populace constantly living in fear of being spooked.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Open your eyes, sheeple! Skeletons aren't real!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

McGavin posted:

Open your eyes, sheeple! Skeletons aren't real!

There's a skellington in the room with you right now. :ssh:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
dont forget the exception made specifically for the pixar film coco, which was allowed to have an uncensored complete release cuz the censors really liked it

the film? entirely composed of skeletons

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

dont forget the exception made specifically for the pixar film coco, which was allowed to have an uncensored complete release cuz the censors really liked it

Understandable, it was a good movie. Man I wish Mexicans were real.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

As has been said before, it's not the archaic stupid petty rules that shits me about the CCP/Chinese bureaucracy. Censorship is a particularly egregious example of this, but not the only one.

It's the arbitrariness of the way they are enforced. What you will get away with scott free on a Wednesday will land you in Jail on a Thursday. If you hand in your form at 11AM at the office, you will have it back by the end of the day. But if you had handed it in at 9AM when a different official was on shift, then you have to wait a week for ... reasons.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's working as intended. Keep the laws vague and selectively enforced so you can keep dissidence down.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

BrigadierSensible posted:

If I remember rightly it was part of a crackdown on the kind of mobile games that require tonnes of microtransactions that the Chinese yoof were supposedly wasting their time with.

So partly due to Xi being a "get off my lawn" old man waving his fist at young people playing video games that he doesn't understand, and partly the CCP being it's authoritarian self, and being unable to deal with anything with subtlety or nuance, and just coming down like a sledgehammer.

But I could be very wrong on both of those points.

It was downplayed by some as a crackdown against predatory mobile gambling/microtransation games -rather than a broader attack on video games in general- when the weekly time limits for playing online games were announced and started hitting international headlines. That made it sound more reasonable - those are basically the low hanging fruit in the game industry and nobody likes that poo poo. In practice, however, the legislation was used to ban entire genres of games (regardless of microtransations/platform) and they outright stopped approving any and all video games regardless of platform or content. So in hindsight you can pretty handily discount that opinion.

Which pretty much leaves "old man (with iron grip on power) yells at cloud".

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

BrigadierSensible posted:

As has been said before, it's not the archaic stupid petty rules that shits me about the CCP/Chinese bureaucracy. Censorship is a particularly egregious example of this, but not the only one.

It's the arbitrariness of the way they are enforced. What you will get away with scott free on a Wednesday will land you in Jail on a Thursday. If you hand in your form at 11AM at the office, you will have it back by the end of the day. But if you had handed it in at 9AM when a different official was on shift, then you have to wait a week for ... reasons.

That's by design though. If nobody knows where the line is, they'll self censor even more.