Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Sometimes I hit the face buttons with the index finger of my other hand if my thumb is occupied with the analog stick

I don't know if I can ever go back to playing games with a bulky controller, split joycons are the dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Mr. Nice! posted:

None of y'all just sit your thumb between all four buttons and rock it around as necessary? I have no problem pressing any combination of the buttons with just my thumb.

Depends on the controller how well it works. Pretty easy on the joycons, the pro is bigger and harder to do it for, and the A button is still a little awkward to roll onto for me anyway

I also have long thin spider fingers so my thumb doesn't get a lot of space coverage

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I think I horribly messed up. I did the sequence break to get Gravity Suit early on my hard mode file, and now I'm stuck fighting Experiment Z-57 without Spin Jump or Storm Missiles and can't avoid half of his attacks

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Sometimes I hit the face buttons with the index finger of my other hand if my thumb is occupied with the analog stick

Timothée Chalamet account spotted

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Darth Nat posted:

I think I horribly messed up. I did the sequence break to get Gravity Suit early on my hard mode file, and now I'm stuck fighting Experiment Z-57 without Spin Jump or Storm Missiles and can't avoid half of his attacks
Might be time to learn one of the tricks for Early Space Jump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPRIP91NMzo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbqsVKrAzdw

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Yeah after banging my head against the boss for an hour I deleted my file and am going to be more selective in my sequence breaking this time.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea early grav suit is nice, but fighting Z-57 with just the spin jump is not.

I ended up pulling it off with the shinespark kill, but it took a bunch of tries.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Darth Nat posted:

Do you mean Space Jump, or did you sequence break and skip Spin Boost as well?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
lol that a consequence of sequence breaking the game was breaking the game, dont hear about that as often as youd think.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Do you mean Space Jump, or did you sequence break and skip Spin Boost as well?

I skipped Spin Boost as well, which meant that it is basically impossible to avoid Experiment's double swipe and some of the patterns during the fan section.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Can you wall jump to get the height to dodge the double swipe?

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I think you probably can with extremely precise timing, but it's extremely difficult to position yourself correctly and also avoid his head.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Can you wall jump to get the height to dodge the double swipe?

You can, but it's pretty tight timing and positioning as you also need to time a flash shift to get yourself to the middle of the screen. (Jump to 2:56)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6xg36pLU08

The situation IS doable, but for a more casual player it's gonna be immensely frustrating.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 8, 2022

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Alternate solution: Just learn the no major glitches speedrun route and skip Z-57 entirely.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

You can, but it's pretty tight timing and positioning as you also need to time a flash shift to get yourself to the middle of the screen. (Jump to 2:56)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6xg36pLU08

The situation IS doable, but for a more casual player it's gonna be immensely frustrating.

Just watching this vid I have no idea how people slept on flash step as a combat dodge, it's absolutely indispensible in the late-game

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I literally do not understand how people survived the robot Chozo fights without the flash step.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Darth Nat posted:

I literally do not understand how people survived the robot Chozo fights without the flash step.

Flash Shift becomes far less vital for those once you get Screw Attack early and can just bonk them to death. :v:

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Darth Nat posted:

Jumping over them and baiting the parry move

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Darth Nat posted:

Oh drat, that exact thing happened to me on my hard mode run. Suuuuuucked.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Darth Nat posted:

You can walljump to avoid most of the rest I think.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Sequence Breaker's Hubris...

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I ultimately just decided that I just could not take beating my face against the boss any longer, deleted my file, and did the same thing but got Spin Boost this time. A much wiser decision.

It is interesting how much sequence breaking changes the game, though, since there were multiple times where I had no idea where I needed to go with the items I shouldn't have yet.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I managed to brute force it, but I basically had to both have perfect movement in the wind segment and then get lucky by him not jumping into the double swipe right after.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
why are these speedbooster puzzles so insanely hard? i've been trying to do the horizontal one in ghavoran for 30 minutes and it's just impossible. and youtube says it's one of the easier ones?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
While speedboosting you don't have to input away from a wall to wall jump, which makes all puzzles involving walljumps much much easier.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Relin posted:

why are these speedbooster puzzles so insanely hard? i've been trying to do the horizontal one in ghavoran for 30 minutes and it's just impossible. and youtube says it's one of the easier ones?

You mean this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN9bTfMH6po

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

DoctorWhat posted:

While speedboosting you don't have to input away from a wall to wall jump, which makes all puzzles involving walljumps much much easier.

Pretty sure Dread made it so you don't need to input away from a wall to do the wall jump with or without the speedboost.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Walljumping really got done in Dread by being made a basic part of the moveset with a fixed movement away from the wall rather than a semi-secret move you could exploit for infinite vertical movement

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

that last boss took me like a dozen tries, but once I got through the flying phase it only took like two. I liked this game.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Relin posted:

You don't have to do a mid-air shinespark or anything like a lot of videos show. You have enough time to stand on the lower level and do a diagonal shinespark (up-left) to the blocks without having to do any fancy maneuvers before it. It's what I did anyway

Re: wall jumping chat I found the wall jump shinespark puzzles impossible but would it have been better to do them before getting the space jump? Though I guess the cold area in Dairon you would already have space jump to be in there without taking damage unless you are sequence breaking.

pissinthewind posted:

that last boss took me like a dozen tries, but once I got through the flying phase it only took like two. I liked this game.

Same here about the third phase, which was good though I sure was mad the first time i lost in the third phase after finally getting through the 2nd one.

I finished the game yesterday and started up Super Metroid.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 12, 2022

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I think the single biggest tip for people struggling with shine spark puzzles (once you know how they work) is that more often than not, you’re messing yourself up by pressing the control stick too much. A lot of the tricks, especially wall jumping, are more about jump timing than precision stick inputs.

(Also, find your favorite of like the four different ways there are to get out of spin jump and trigger a midair spark.)

Item Getter posted:

would it have been better to do them before getting the space jump?
No, the “spinning while jumping” state (which you could also think of as just “diagonal jumping” if it helps) triggers when you jump while moving horizontally, regardless of your upgrades or lack thereof.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 12, 2022

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

girl dick energy posted:

I think the single biggest tip for people struggling with shine spark puzzles (once you know how they work) is that more often than not, you’re messing yourself up by pressing the control stick too much. A lot of the tricks, especially wall jumping, are more about jump timing than precision stick inputs.

(Also, find your favorite of like the four different ways there are to get out of spin jump and trigger a midair spark.)

No, the “spinning while jumping” state (which you could also think of as just “diagonal jumping” if it helps) triggers when you jump while moving horizontally, regardless of your upgrades or lack thereof.

Not talking about spin jumping, I mean being able to jump anywhere mid-air means I am probably space jumping next to the wall or something instead of properly wall jumping and losing the speed boost. Hard to tell what is going on really plus with the screw attack glow making it hard to tell if speed boost is still active. Was able to do wall jumps before getting all those upgrades but they kind of muddle everything for the purposes of the shinespark puzzles only.

Weirdly having more luck with the Super Metroid wall jump

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 13, 2022

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
If you're doing a series of walljumps, even if there are space jumps between, try just completely letting go of the stick one you start. When I could no longer give direction inputs,those puzzles quickly became easier and more consistent.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

girl dick energy posted:

I'm sure there are puzzles that become easier if you can do this reliably, but there is not a single one that requires you to do this.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I absolutely love the Metroid games. The boss battles, the exploration, discovery, etc. I’ve had people tell me that if I love Metroid, I should love Hollow Knight.

But I just can’t. I’ve tried 3 times over the last two years to get into Hollow Knight and while I love the atmosphere, the music, the presentation, etc, I find it way too stressful. Yes the enemies themselves are much harder than your average enemy in a Metroid game, but it’s the exploration. I feel like in a Metroid game I am rewarded for exploration, but in HK I can spent over an hour carefully navigating a really difficult area. Precision timing my jumps, my encounters with enemies perfectly, then die to a scrub enemy, lose my shade, all my geo, and find myself on a bench with no easy way to retrieve my shade or try again and I’m totally demoralized. A feeling I never get in a Metroid game.

So, am I just a fan of Metroid but not necessarily “Metroidvanias”? Is Metroid considered “easy” for the genre or is HK known for just being really difficult?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I love Metroid games, too, and i found HK to just be kinda bad. I kept pressuring on and on due to hype, waiting for the moment the game finally gets good, and like 20 hours in and a lot of battling sunk cost fallacy later, i finally just dropped it and never looked back.

I made it through Sekiro just fine, so i'm not exactly awful at games, and it didn't really seem like so much of a difficulty problem to me, more that it's just tedium and dumb design decisions stacked on each other that made it a tiresome experience.

Don't feel too bad about not liking Hollow Knight as a Metroid fan, no matter what others say.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I like Hollow Knight but my replays always fizzle out due to the sheer, pointless scale of the game. It was impressive on my first run through when it hit my exploration feels hard but there's just so many rooms to pad out the game's scale that repeated visits to areas or dying in the middle of nowhere can just be tedious. I don't even think it's a matter of difficulty, if they'd cut out the cruft in the level design dying to difficult encounters wouldn't feel anywhere near so bad without the long runbacks and repeated platforming

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I played through HK twice and love it, but I remain chilly towards castlevania despite having played a bunch of them (and Bloodstained). I think I’m put off by the heavy RPG/random drop component they always have. Or maybe the corny Halloween vibe just isn’t my jam.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Hollow Knight's world is just too big and traversing it is neither easy or fun even when you're fully powered up. And I swear the fast travel points were positioned to be as inconvenient as possible. I beat it and enjoyed it enough, but I've never felt like revisiting it because traveling around the map could be such a slog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Put me in the column of loving Metroid, loving Igavanias, and bouncing off of Hollow Knight hard several times. Latest try, I got 12 hours into the game and just was not enjoying myself. I bounce off a lot of Metroidvanias, actually. Latest non-Metroid non-Igavania ones I actually finished were a couple Shantae ones and Axiom Verge 2.

I think a lot of it is that I like my Metroidvanias to last like 10 hours max on a casual first playthrough.