Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lol to start the page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

tinaun posted:

kill all strips over 25 years old - can never be re-run or rebooted

syndicate val

:hmmyes:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

consistently making me laugh

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I just remembered, if I were in charge of Comics Kingdom I'd bring back a rebooted Apartment 3-G. I think a good writer and artist could do a lot with a strip about three young women sharing an apartment in NYC.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

it never gets old

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

smooth operators here

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Chacha Chako is amazing

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

rannum posted:

smooth operators here
And there was only one environmentally-protective tent.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Murdstone posted:

I just remembered, if I were in charge of Comics Kingdom I'd bring back a rebooted Apartment 3-G. I think a good writer and artist could do a lot with a strip about three young women sharing an apartment in NYC.

The curse of the monkey's paw is that Stephanie McMillan gets Apartment 3-G.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
My big change would be: no zombie strips. If the creator isn't doing any actual work besides signing their name, let the actual workers start a successor strip. Keeps profits and control in the hands of actual creatives, and ensures there's turnover, instead of

I don't know how effective any changes would be, because I don't know who reads the strips in the paper and online. If it's just old people, keeping reruns going is better; if there's an actual audience that cares, you need some kind of turnover.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Esplanade posted:

What would you do with the power of the comics syndicate behind you?

For one thing I'd leverage my backlog of old strips into a streaming service you can subscribe to for a monthly fee. I'm genuinely shocked that there's nothing like that out on the market at the moment. Then I'd use the new streaming service as a testing ground for new talent and slowly start pushing out the more tedious legacy strips in favor of fresher ideas. Like, I know you all love Heathcliff (and so do I honestly) but it's a classic example of a strip that only exists because newspapers are a particularly weird medium that lets bad comics ride on momentum for decades.

E: Also, cartoons made instantly for Wallace the Brave, Crabgrass, Peanuts (normal-dog Snoopy era), Dustin (now super gay and progressive just to make Kelley mad), and maybe even a reboot of Vater and Sohn.

Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Apr 8, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jul 12-13, 1990)

Blind Alley

https://kumerish.com/blind-alley

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 8, 2022

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Vargo posted:

If I was in charge of the comics, I think I'd find Curtis a new writer, it needs a fresh voice. I'd say Tauhid, and he'd be good because he can write realistic children voices, but also I'd worry I'm just saying Tauhid because he's like the only young black person on the comics page right now.

Probably. But also Tauhid would absolutely kill it with a Kwanzaa story.

Cobalt-60 posted:

My big change would be: no zombie strips. If the creator isn't doing any actual work besides signing their name, let the actual workers start a successor strip. Keeps profits and control in the hands of actual creatives, and ensures there's turnover, instead of

I don't know how effective any changes would be, because I don't know who reads the strips in the paper and online. If it's just old people, keeping reruns going is better; if there's an actual audience that cares, you need some kind of turnover.

Mine would be mostly the same, with one addition. The new creator the strip goes over to would have to be a real person or a duo who can sign their name. No strips made by committee or ghost writers, like we get with Beetle Bailey and the like.

That Luann has a future in Fast Food?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Cobalt-60 posted:

See that sounds nice but that gave us Intelligent Life so

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Got It! January 27, 1919

Outbursts of Everett True January 30, 1919

Gay and Her Gang February 8, 1930

Oaky Doaks July 10, 1936

Mopsy September 17, 1937

Up Front October 21, 1944

Dark Laughter June 17, 1950

So It Seems March 24, 1952

Those Were the Days December 5, 1957

Wee Pals April 1, 1966

Dogbert October 25, 1966

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Slammy posted:

Four brilliant avs, ripe for the taking...

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Slammy posted:

This strip ran til 1983. I cannot wait for Beeman in the late 1960s

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

Slammy posted:

Up Front October 21, 1944

Je ne parle pas francais. I don't get the joke; something about a misunderstanding?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Dykes to Watch Out For #147 (1992), by Alison Bechdel

Skimping on the notes today because I got home late and I'm tired, but I think Mo is full of poo poo here. I dunno if that many goons are actually young enough to need to hear this, but 30 is nothing. In the handful of years since I turned 30 I've grown and changed in ways that I never could've in my twenties, and I'm happier and healthier than I've ever been. So Mo, go sit on an egg.

The name of the bagel shop changes between pages but if there's a joke there I don't get it.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Cobalt-60 posted:

Je ne parle pas francais. I don't get the joke; something about a misunderstanding?

The US GI's phrase book failed him so he's resorted to clumsy chicken charades to find eggs

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Cobalt-60 posted:

He's imitating a chicken laying an egg because he doesn't know what egg is in French.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

confirmed: the chicken came first

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

How Wonderful! posted:

I dunno if that many goons are actually young enough to need to hear this, but 30 is nothing. In the handful of years since I turned 30 I've grown and changed in ways that I never could've in my twenties, and I'm happier and healthier than I've ever been. So Mo, go sit on an egg.

Speaking as a 40-something, aging (so far) isn't quite as bad as this scene from a movie of my youth would suggest, but it's still something to keep in mind...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqX6z6djbD4&t=82s

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

JethroMcB posted:

The US GI's phrase book failed him so he's resorted to clumsy chicken charades to find eggs

Judging by the sweat, he's been at it for awhile, and the locals have been observing his interpretive dance with some fascination

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

How Wonderful! posted:

Dykes to Watch Out For #147 (1992), by Alison Bechdel

Skimping on the notes today because I got home late and I'm tired, but I think Mo is full of poo poo here. I dunno if that many goons are actually young enough to need to hear this, but 30 is nothing. In the handful of years since I turned 30 I've grown and changed in ways that I never could've in my twenties, and I'm happier and healthier than I've ever been. So Mo, go sit on an egg.

The name of the bagel shop changes between pages but if there's a joke there I don't get it.

Oh I totally agree, and I hit 40 last year. Looking back I wish I had been more adventurous in my 20s and 30s but I don't feel my life has been a waste. Of course, at 30 I didn't feel that way either.

But hey, ask me again closer to election time.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

coronatae posted:

I was wondering the other day if it was still new strips until the 80s or if it went into reruns at some point. Slammy, any idea?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Where's my poll option for enjoying analysis and banter?

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Doomykins posted:

Billingsley can do fairy tale strips and stupid cartooning ideas like My Roommate Is A Zombie!!!

I would love to see Reuben Award-Winning Cartoonist Ray Billingsley go hog wild and illustrate all of Curtis' horror movie ideas.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Slammy posted:

:females:

coronatae posted:

Just alternating between dunking on hippies and being horny for braless women.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Potsticker posted:

Not sure why you'd make this a requirement. Why wouldn't you want someone who practices and shows commitment in their youth?
To be honest it's almost entirely a dunk on Mark Trail, which sucks

but also I do think if your chosen format is irreverent gag-a-day, visual metaphor for your emotional state or pop culture reference, that doesn't exactly qualify you for the kind of basically serious, straight-faced, storyarc-based adventure strip I personally have in mind. I would strive to get all those on the comics page as well instead of the legacy strips in reruns, just the adventure strip would be my pet project. The only people who seem to want to write them are stodgy middle-aged to elderly men though so it is a bit of a dilemma. Like, James Allen sort of had the right basic idea about going to other countries and having dramatic adventures, he just really, really sucked at doing it in multiple separate ways.

I'd probably also try to get someone on Mandrake who has more interesting ideas about a crime-solving magician than "gestures hypnotically", both plotwise and visually. And going into fantasy or sci fi (Flash Gordon) is probably a safer bet than doing a real world based adventure strip anyway.

readingatwork posted:

and maybe even a reboot of Vater and Sohn
Definitely picturing a modern Berlin hipster dad and his son having everyday adventures in coffee and vinyl shops. Actually he's probably a lot like Phoebe's dad.

And speaking of the two

Vater und Sohn: Trying to skip school (34/1936)

I, uh. I guess it's a home remedy?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Blueberry: So, I'm almost 100% certain that Moebius' art here is based off of the Cliff Palace in Mesa Verde national park - although that's in Colorado, not Arizona. I cannot go into the history that it deserves, so I would invite people who are interested to do their own research - but I'll say this. The representation of it is very close to the real thing, or Luckner gets heat-stroke, or Great, NOW he's gonna become the Batman on top of all this poo poo?!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

To be honest it's almost entirely a dunk on Mark Trail, which sucks

Dana Simpson did some atrocious webcomic stuff before Heavenly Nostrils and Randy Milholland who did some fantastic Popeye strips has a long running webcomic of let's say uneven quality, but absolutely fits with serious, straight-laced and arc-based. There have been fantastic people doing webcomics that are far too good for the likes of the newspaper, too and have gone on to other careers in publishing, writing, cartoons and other things that I would also rate high above that of being a newspaper cartoonist.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Fingerpori

Back when I was in the army, I had some moles cut off my head by the trainee medics, and it was fine except they had never heard of bedside manner or doctorly conduct and used their scalpels with the enthusiasm normally found in 80s slasher movies.

But I guess it could've been worse.

A few pages old, but I still laugh at "Area Man Copulates with 300kg pig" or whatever from a few years ago. Fingerpori is always a favorite.

Oh my god lmao.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Potsticker posted:

Dana Simpson did some atrocious webcomic stuff before Heavenly Nostrils and Randy Milholland who did some fantastic Popeye strips has a long running webcomic of let's say uneven quality, but absolutely fits with serious, straight-laced and arc-based. There have been fantastic people doing webcomics that are far too good for the likes of the newspaper, too and have gone on to other careers in publishing, writing, cartoons and other things that I would also rate high above that of being a newspaper cartoonist.

To be fair to Simpson, Raine Dog was probably the worst thing they ever did (I seem to recall their early webcomic Ozzy & Millie being ok for the most part anyway)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pondus

Herman the Heathen

Zofie's World

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: prom (May 9-15, 2005)

First appearance: it's blink-and-you miss it, but in the fifth strip for this week (the one about the pig blood bucket), the very first panel is the first appearance of Joan Hoof. Joan (the red-haired mare) is Rachel's girlfriend, and she's a suuuuuuuuper minor character: it's been more than sixteen years since this strip, and she either appeared or was mentioned in a total of forty-two strips since then -- most of them in 2014, when there's an arc where she and Rachel get married.

So yeah, she's not anyone of consequence in the strip, I just thought I'd point her out.

(Also, characters like Joan are why I don't keep a relationship tree of all K&K characters, only those who have a family or blood relation to the main cast, otherwise I'd go crazy.)

Modern Kevin & Kell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/7/02

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 12/8-10/47

Smokey Stover 7/1/45

Sigh. Well, it's still wartime, although not for much longer.

Everyday Movies 9/22/34

"There was a time when fish was cheaper. Why, when I lived down the Lambert Cove road you could get all the fish you wanted for nothing."

Selachian fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 11, 2022