Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Der Kyhe posted:

That BTW was the only episode most of the people involved truly regretted doing, too weird and too late in the series. "In several ways it was worse than Spock's Brain" was quoted by several people involved. :D

Wtf that episode owns though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

yea, who are these people? Stewart and some lovely producers?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

External Organs posted:

I'm tired of Brent Spiner,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP4bsXcCDGw

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Spiner didn't exactly like it (mostly because it was rushed), Jeri Taylor didn't like it, Ronald Moore hated it. Naren Shankar politely said "it was part of the rocky season" and the book writer Altman commenting that "it gave Spock's Brain a run for its money as the worst Star Trek episode".

Its basically the only TNG episode in the book they slam after the S2/S3 slump when they basically ran with every script that was something that could be filmed.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Like….not the Space Africa episode? There are a lot of other Trek episodes that are worse than that one

Edit: thanks for clarifying

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That season also had Geordie's ghost mother and Sub Rosa

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I thought it was a loving weird episode, didn't really like it but I'd never say I hated it.

Sometimes if the weird doesn't land its just forgettable!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Sub Rosa is top 10 tv but yeah Geordies Mom was a rough watch

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

CainFortea posted:

yea, who are these people? Stewart and some lovely producers?

Der Kyhe posted:

Spiner didn't exactly like it (mostly because it was rushed), Jeri Taylor didn't like it, Ronald Moore hated it. Naren Shankar politely said "it was part of the rocky season" and the book writer Altman commenting that "it gave Spock's Brain a run for its money as the worst Star Trek episode".

Its basically the only TNG episode in the book they slam after the S2/S3 slump when they basically ran with every script that was something that could be filmed.

Brent Spiner not liking it is legit because he really should have been given time to better develop what he was going to do with those different characters, though honestly I think given the time constraint he did a great job with it.

Jeri Taylor and Ron Moore not liking it, who gives a poo poo. Taylor thought Star Trek needed to show more married people for some reason, and Moore's a loving grinch that hates anything that doesn't lead to killing off characters.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Brent Spiner not liking it is legit because he really should have been given time to better develop what he was going to do with those different characters, though honestly I think given the time constraint he did a great job with it.

Jeri Taylor and Ron Moore not liking it, who gives a poo poo. Taylor thought Star Trek needed to show more married people for some reason, and Moore's a loving grinch that hates anything that doesn't lead to killing off characters.

Okay, makes sense. And yea, Taylor and Moore can eat poo poo. Their opinions don't count.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Masks was a Joe Menosky Took Ambien Again episode and it loving rules.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
It's definitely better than, say, The Masterpiece Society. Or Aquiel.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

I thought it was a loving weird episode, didn't really like it but I'd never say I hated it.

Sometimes if the weird doesn't land its just forgettable!

This is how I felt after I finally watched Spock’s Brain. Yeah it’s dumb and sexist but you can say that about 3/4ths of TOS. I don’t really see how it stands out as particularly awful.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It's definitely better than, say, The Masterpiece Society. Or Aquiel.

Masterpiece Society is crap. "Oh no, I asked a question and now this lady is sad about her life in the closed off society. We have violated the Prime Directive!"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The masterpiece society is so drat bad Troi is just like "Wow! Eugenics!" But at least Geordi got to get some sick dunks in on them.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I do like the prime directive a lot of the time in trek. But sometimes it gets used really loving weirdly by the writers and is terribly handled.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

CainFortea posted:

I do like the prime directive a lot of the time in trek. But sometimes it gets used really loving weirdly by the writers and is terribly handled.

O'Neill: "Kill your gods. Two Ls."
Teal'C: "False gods. Dead False Gods."
Jackson: "THINK OF YOUR LITERATURE"
Carter: "achstually sir"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CainFortea posted:

Yeah when they turn it into a wierd almost religious thing it's dumb. But when it's 'we're not all-knowing, we're not as smart as we think we are, and we just don't have the right to mess with other people just because we think we should' it's extremely good.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

CainFortea posted:

In SG1 Its the advanced alien race(s) that don't wanna Prime Directive the humans. And then get owned by their hubris anyway.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Endless Trash posted:

He’s in the new season of It’s Always Sunny and he’s still a joyI

I mean it's Colm Meany and the Always Sunny crew -Production and actors, most obviously not characters- know what their doing. Like that's always just going to work

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Every time I think about Masks I then immediately hear "Masaka is waking" in my head.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

John Murdoch posted:

Every time I think about Masks I then immediately hear "Masaka is waking" in my head.

I read that as "Masaka is wanking" which would have made the episode even weirder than it already is.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Lmao at the idea of a low-stakes, fun episode of The Expanse

Season 5, Episode 15: Holden can't stop farting, and the crew is getting suspicious as to who dealt it. Peaches discovers Amos' secret love for ballet.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ashpanash posted:

I read that as "Masaka is wanking" which would have made the episode even weirder than it already is.

Masaka has morning wood.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

punishedkissinger posted:

The cast does seem really strong but everything is so plot and setting heavy so far they just haven't had too much development. I am really really enjoying the show though. I was only being slightly cheeky with the DS9 comparison.

Season one isn't completely indicative of the show as a whole, because it's only adapting half the first novel and is trying to set up a lot of plot threads that will run the course of subsequent seasons. Season two is when everything truly gets going and the characters really fall into place.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

mycomancy posted:

Season 5, Episode 15: Holden can't stop farting, and the crew is getting suspicious as to who dealt it. Peaches discovers Amos' secret love for ballet.

Really they need a hot springs or beach episode.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

a surfing-centric episode would be dope

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Holden's on water skis heading for the big jump, but lookout! There's a shark in the water!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A flashback episode to explain the cheese farts story that Miller tells them in season 2.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Next episode: turns out the beach is full of alien parasites and now everyone has horrible things going on in their skin. The makeup department takes out a huge amount of anger on the cast here

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

mycomancy posted:

While on the run from the MCRN, the Rocinante stops at the Risa Spa, on the pleasure moon of Io. Things are getting volcanic, when someone from Amos' past shows up! Find out next week on The Expanse.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Prodigy is somehow the most Trek of all current treks :psypop:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
It's a children's cartoon, so yes, that stands to reason.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Fishstick posted:

In SG1 Its the advanced alien race(s) that don't wanna Prime Directive the humans. And then get owned by their hubris anyway.

I like that in one case the reason was 'look we gave a less advanced race our technology and their planet literally exploded last week, we're not doing that again"

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tunicate posted:

I like that in one case the reason was 'look we gave a less advanced race our technology and their planet literally exploded last week, we're not doing that again"

Cowards.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Lmao this episode of ds9 rules. Julian whining about getting old, then having to survive a coma death trap simulation.

I've been enjoying ds9 already, but season 3 has been a blast so far.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Shinjobi posted:

Lmao this episode of ds9 rules. Julian whining about getting old, then having to survive a coma death trap simulation.

I've been enjoying ds9 already, but season 3 has been a blast so far.

it just gets better from here (until most of the way through season 6)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I don't know which part I liked more, that Julian's mind made Garak the untrustworthy persona that tried to get him killed, or the fact that real Garak took that as a compliment :allears:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Yo someone dm me I am seeking jamaharon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Gonna beam into the mirror universe with two confinement beams so I can have a three-way with myself, and evil self.

Also if you J/O & rim your duplicate it's called "Thomas Riker's Rusty Trombone".

Engage. https://youtu.be/ClP8n6asn3w