Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Re giving up, the covid method worked well for me. It got to the stage where every time I tried to inhale cigarette smoke, I'd end up rolling on the floor gasping to breathe. That was a good enough motivation to make me consider quitting. I used a nicorette spray to get over the short term nicotine cravings, and I can't recommend them enough. They burn, taste horrible and make you want to throw up, so it's almost impossible to transfer a habit onto them.

637 days later, and I'm still cigarette free.

In semi nicotine stain related news:

https://twitter.com/SkewSmug/status/1477750794417946624

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jan 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

I think Tesla's are great. I do not want to drive one along an underground death tube though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://mobile.twitter.com/LeftAtLondon/status/1478208201984135176

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

fuctifino posted:

I used a nicorette spray to get over the short term nicotine cravings, and I can't recommend them enough. They burn, taste horrible and make you want to throw up, so it's almost impossible to transfer a habit onto them.

I vape an absolutely horrendous amount (but I haven’t smoked in 3 years!) and I reckon it’s costing me upwards of £220 a month. Do those sprays do anything for twitchy “I must do something with my mouth/hands” cravings?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Aidan_702 posted:

I vape an absolutely horrendous amount (but I haven’t smoked in 3 years!) and I reckon it’s costing me upwards of £220 a month. Do those sprays do anything for twitchy “I must do something with my mouth/hands” cravings?

Just have a wank any time you get that feeling?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Gonna :nms: this tweet not because of the usual reason people call things not mind safe but because it represents a level of Rowling derangement so severe it actually caused a mental disturbance akin to a giant hit of salvia:

https://twitter.com/JacobKishnevi/status/1479552058399367177

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Just have a wank any time you get that feeling?
That's how Left Unity ended up splitting.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Aidan_702 posted:

No, it's purely for the nicotine cravings. I use(d) a dynavap cannabis vaporiser for the mouth and hand cravings.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Aidan_702 posted:

When you say ‘vape’ do you mean using an ecig or vaping weed? Because I’m seriously into my vaping, do it a /lot/ and I don’t spend more than about 40-50 a month on juice.

Either you’re some sort of VG powered monster, or you need to find a cheaper supplier lol

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Working remotely has shown me just how much taking the odd 5-10 minutes to absent-mindedly stare out a window improves both the bearability of work and actual productivity

Can we get an obnoxious guy with a powerpoint and some hideous diagrams to put this into buzzwordy management-speak so the bosses understand it

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Camrath posted:

When you say ‘vape’ do you mean using an ecig or vaping weed? Because I’m seriously into my vaping, do it a /lot/ and I don’t spend more than about 40-50 a month on juice.

Either you’re some sort of VG powered monster, or you need to find a cheaper supplier lol

It’s £6 or more on lovely 2% 50/50 pods rather than juice. Whenever I get juice the most minor tiny inconvenience will happen (ran out of coils, forgot to charge it before I went outside) and I’ll revert back to the pods meaning the money on a mod/juice went completely to waste so I stopped buying them. I just wanna quit man but I can’t even go a day without getting truly anxious.

I also hate/am extremely anxious about my job which is a key factor.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Gonna :nms: this tweet not because of the usual reason people call things not mind safe but because it represents a level of Rowling derangement so severe it actually caused a mental disturbance akin to a giant hit of salvia:

It really is a work of art.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Aidan_702 posted:

It’s £6 or more on lovely 2% 50/50 pods rather than juice. Whenever I get juice the most minor tiny inconvenience will happen (ran out of coils, forgot to charge it before I went outside) and I’ll revert back to the pods meaning the money on a mod/juice went completely to waste so I stopped buying them. I just wanna quit man but I can’t even go a day without getting truly anxious.

I also hate/am extremely anxious about my job which is a key factor.

I've found the best compromise is the mini refillable vapes - I use the Caliburn A2 (mainly because it comes in a colour that sort of looks claret and blue if you screw your eyes up) which lasts me *almost* all day (annoyingly not quite an entire day so I just bought a second one). Two of them and a couple of pods fit comfortably in my pocket (most mods are *ridiculously* too big and bulky to do so) meaning I've always got a spare. Even with the equivalent of a 40-a-day smoking habit I'm still only paying out about £30 on juice and a tenner on replacement pods a month.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

OwlFancier posted:

It really is a work of art.

I love the bit where people give him examples and he immediately moves the goalposts to children's fantasy, then people give him children's fantasy examples and the posts move again to contemporary fantasy, then people give him examples of that and he apparently goes quiet

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
the pattern i've noticed over the last 10 odd years - that's exemplified by that national anthem man - is that things that are satirised/lampooned seem to very quickly become reality

and then reality overshoots and you're in a world that's beyond what would have been satire a short time ago

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
maybe the jokes are just a way to flood the idea into the minds of most of the population at once :tinfoil:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
.nm it's there now must have been a glitch in my twitter. oo err missus.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jan 8, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

I love the bit where people give him examples and he immediately moves the goalposts to children's fantasy, then people give him children's fantasy examples and the posts move again to contemporary fantasy, then people give him examples of that and he apparently goes quiet
It has to be specifically written as fantasy specifically for children specifically between 1997 and 2007 and cannot include authors who also wrote for adult audiences unless they used another name while doing so and also that other name was Robert Galbraith.

A Christmas Carol was written as a Christian allegory for Victorian newspaper readers and therefore can never be anything else, even if anyone who was a child in the 90s likely remembers it more from the Muppets, because that's how literature works.

e:

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What was it? It's gone!
Not quite. Rowling's real importance lies in the fact that she was the first writer to present a world in which class and wealth mattered, some characters were poor, some were rich, and being poor was a hardship, not just a cheery sentimental thing in the scenery.
The literature understander logged on.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The best part is that the books don't even come close to doing what he describes. The books look down on the upper classes but patronise the gently caress out of the working class (no really they wouldn't want the middle class' help, as long as they have each other).

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's one of the most brutal ratios I've ever seen

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Where's the setting to show tweets? I think it might be my google chrome to blame - I updated it yesterday and a few things have gone quirky eg add to Reading List doesn't show up as an option when I click bookmark anymore. (Laptop not phone app)

But yeah, that tweet - I don't think he had a clue about other works, probably just a JKR groupie. I was thinking Water Babies - that's pretty fantastical - for a start.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jan 8, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Tweets don't get shown if there's a :nws: or :nms: tag in the post, to preserve the sensibilities of casual readers, I'm not sure if there's a setting to override that.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

stev posted:

The best part is that the books don't even come close to doing what he describes. The books look down on the upper classes but patronise the gently caress out of the working class (no really they wouldn't want the middle class' help, as long as they have each other).

She really is just New Labour: the author.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Tweets don't get shown if there's a :nws: or :nms: tag in the post, to preserve the sensibilities of casual readers, I'm not sure if there's a setting to override that.

I see. I did not know that! What do nws and nms stand for?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I see. I did not know that! What do nws and nms stand for?

Not Work Safe and Not Mind Safe.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Thanks to whoever recommended "Attack of the 50 foot blockchain" the other day. I'm halfway through and now I understand what some guy was telling me about his day job (involving "web 3" and "smart contracts"). And conveniently also understand why those things are nonsense. Very efficient!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bobstar posted:

Thanks to whoever recommended "Attack of the 50 foot blockchain" the other day. I'm halfway through and now I understand what some guy was telling me about his day job (involving "web 3" and "smart contracts"). And conveniently also understand why those things are nonsense. Very efficient!

No prob. It's an excellent primer on crypto bullshit.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

That’s interesting about the NMS tags! Awful app doesn’t hide the content (which is fine with me) but it’s a cool idea.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
For some reason I always thought NMS meant Not Mother Safe

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

ThomasPaine posted:

Not Mother Safe

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

ThomasPaine posted:

For some reason I always thought NMS meant Not Mother Safe

<< Psycho II Shovel Scene here >>

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Is that what his loop has become? What a loving waste of time.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

How I envy someone that can have an opinion as poo poo as this and yet have the confidence to post it.

I tried to take up smoking over three months when I was seventeen. Never really took, I kept forgetting to buy fags and not enough of my friends smoked for me to bum a ciggy off them.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

bessantj posted:

Is that what his loop has become? What a loving waste of time.

Always was

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Imagine if the teslas went on fire, would probably launch las vegas into orbit.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Yeah but I wanted him to build the loop, find that people would die then blame the government for over regulation. When the news presenter said it was more like "a highway underground" all I could think was isn't that what Musk was trying to get away from?!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

crispix posted:

maybe the jokes are just a way to flood the idea into the minds of most of the population at once :tinfoil:

everything is an op

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

bessantj posted:

Yeah but I wanted him to build the loop, find that people would die then blame the government for over regulation. When the news presenter said it was more like "a highway underground" all I could think was isn't that what Musk was trying to get away from?!

He's lazy and stupid, even with other people's labour and brains. Digging one tunnel took a long time and he got bored so he said "good enough" and put Teslas in it cause he already had those.

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Foster liked his brand new wand!
Fun Shoe

Gonzo McFee posted:

She really is just New Labour: the author.

I can't remember who it was on the pod, but their phrasing was "Got rich off Blairism" which I loved.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dabir posted:

He's lazy and stupid, even with other people's labour and brains. Digging one tunnel took a long time and he got bored so he said "good enough" and put Teslas in it cause he already had those.

I'm not sure if he's stupid but I do agree with him being lazy or at least quick to lose interest in things that don't align with his vision immediately. I don't think he's actually built anything from the ground up himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He hasn't built anything, he has no technical competence whatsoever, he's just a manbaby with apartheid emerald mine money.