Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Been playing a lot of Riders Republic, which is the sequel to Steep. I have plenty of tips:

- Unlike Steep, you can play offline via the Zen Mode on the main menu. Meat of the game is still an online-only thing. If that doesn't sound good to you, pass. It's fine.

- Your gear has stats now, so you have to level up your career in order to get gear that doesn't suck rear end. You cannot buy gear, only earn or find it. Clothes, on the other hand, you can purchase with in-game money. (Also with IRL money for premium items, but I won't sway you one way or the other on that; it's your money.)

- As long as you land straight enough, you will land correctly. Goes from perfect to medium to bad. If you get perfect landings in a row, you get more score as well.

- The stamina system in Steep is still somewhat present here. If you keep landing from high drops or not landing straight, your screen will go black-and-white while a heartbeat plays. Any more than that and you run the risk of eating poo poo. The Absorption stat dictates how much you can take before you fall. Perfect landings are best because they take the least stamina and can allow you to land otherwise impossible jumps if you got a medium or bad landing.

- For the purposes of scoring, every 180 degree rotation counts as a new trick. You can land backwards on your bike and the rider will correct provided that you are not doing a stupid high jump or something. The game also has a tutorial that will tell you how many degrees you need to be at in order to land things like a Misty or a Rodeo.

- Unlike Steep, you can actually pause during an event and not get your rear end sent back to the very start. It's usually a lot faster to tap the Backtrack button once and then hit Restart if you feel something isn't going your way instead of using the pause menu to restart.

- No Fall is not bailing. No Backtrack is not using the Backtrack function at all. No Missed Checkpoint is exactly that. No Brake is also exactly that. If something says No Backtrack and only that, you can intentionally miss a checkpoint if you need help getting back onto the track. Things like that are important if you want to do things without unnecessarily restarting.

- You can also get off of your bike/snowboard/skis/etc. at will and the game will not penalize you for it during an event. You can use this if you're stuck on a rock or something and you need to get off pronto. Keep in mind if you're above a certain speed when you do this, you will eat poo poo. However, if you're already in the air when you get off, you can (for some reason) slow yourself down a bit and then get back on before you land and then you will not wipe out. This is useful if you're riding a piece of poo poo.

Edit:
- Additionally, the Mass Races are every half hour and take about 10-15 minutes to work through depending on the overall skill level and the fact that you will have about 25-32 people with varying qualities of internet connection to worry about. If it helps, when the round starts, give everyone else a half second and then go. You'll be less likely to get shoved into something and get sent to the back anyway.

- For all multiplayer races, you have about 45 seconds after the first place rider crosses the line to cross it yourself. Otherwise, you get saddled with a DNF.

A Bystander fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Getting absolutely railed in Divinity Original Sin 2. My buddy and I are playing co op on tactician (we completed D:OS without much issue).

At the end of act 1, have done every quest available, so levels and equipment are as high as they can be, and the fight against Alexander is nonstop resets. Just kind of lost at what to do - followed the info that's already on the wiki... any further advice would be appreciated.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Astral Chain: You can change which twin you play as by replaying the intro mission from your office PC.

Just started it, started thinking I might like playing as the other twin better, and was pleasantly surprised by a quick Google check :v:

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Any tips for Crying Suns? Seems like a nice build on from the FTL genre

Sexual Aluminum fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 2, 2022

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

McKracken posted:

Getting absolutely railed in Divinity Original Sin 2. My buddy and I are playing co op on tactician (we completed D:OS without much issue).

At the end of act 1, have done every quest available, so levels and equipment are as high as they can be, and the fight against Alexander is nonstop resets. Just kind of lost at what to do - followed the info that's already on the wiki... any further advice would be appreciated.

teleport alexander to the top of the stairs and bum rush him, alternately trigger the fight from a distance, or use play dead or invis, and let the worm handle the fight

or spam dome of protection

there's a ton of ways to do it but without a party setup general advice should get you through

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

McKracken posted:

I think the divinity thread would give more helpful long term advice.

Anyone have any tips aside from what's in the wiki for Ys VIII?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

girl dick energy posted:

-- Alternatively, Journey mode is roughly Terraria's equivalent of Minecraft's Creative Mode, but note that Journey characters are locked into Journey worlds (and vice-versa).

journey mode isn't actually like minecraft creative mode, since you can only duplicate items once you've "researched" a certain number of them. it's definately easier than standard terraria, but you still need to progress through the game like normal

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

For Assassin's Creed Odyssey, is it safe to sell the trade goods? I figure the Common (gray) ones are all safe, but there's a button to just sell all of them, which would include the wolf pelts and the cyclops obsidian eye and stuff, so I'm worried there's a place down the line where I'm going to want 50 wolf pelts or there's a guy who is going to want the eye for a quest or something.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

IIRC there is one random quest on Thebes that requires lion fangs and shark teeth and another in Boetia that requires wolf pelts. I think those are literally the only ones in the game and they're easily acquired even if you happen to sell all your trade goods beforehand.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

egg tats posted:

but you still need to progress through the game like normal
With infinite item duplication and godmode.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
What should I know about Tropico 6?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

A couple things I missed for way too long in Monster Hunter World:

A ways into the game 2 charms appear in the supply store. They give a nice bonus to your attack and defense by just putting them in your pouch. Later on you can use them to craft even nicer versions- then buy the originals again for even more bonus.

Early on you unlock the Tailraider safari, a posse of cat friends who bring back lots of useless loot. Except! Some bosses drop essences or elemental sacs of which you will need many to craft charms and high level potions. So send the tailraiders out instead of repetitively grinding Pukei and Paolumu and so on.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Any helpful tips I should know about for TROUBLESHOOTER: Abandoned Children that are not already covered on the wiki?

I'm only ~10 hours in, but there have been so far a lot of "choice" things happening and I don't want to miss out on something or regret a pick later down the road if I can help it, and a lot of things seem to come at a cost of undoing it, like equip an ability sure, but it costs a resource to unequip later, so I don't want to experiment on my own too much here.

Also Crafting... Masteries... WTF am I looking at? I still don't have any clue on that stuff. I have at least 8th grade schooling, I should be able to understand some anime JRPG bullshit. Even Vagrant Story's systems was simple to this.

Are there any permanent missables, etc?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

The Iron Rose posted:

The push and pull of an export economy means you'll have stints with no income if the boats don't show up or your dockworkers weren't around. Build more than one dock.

You don't have to leave the colonial era until you're ready and the economy in that stage is a little simpler. Consider building up your funds a little before moving up to a new age.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
I've been playing a lot of Neon Abyss since it was free on EGS and figured I'd add some tips.

- Feel free to play on Easy or Normal until you get used to the controls. The difficulty affects enemy speed and hp along with how often you get drops.
- Within a difficulty, you may see pips next to it, these are sub-difficulties. When you win a game, you gain a pip on your next run and lose a pip if you die.
- The grenade indicator and holding the grenade key only works on Easy or Normal. On Hard you toss a grenade as soon as you press the button.
- As you unlock items, weapons, rooms and other rules, keep in mind you can turn them off if you really don't like them. However if you turn off too many things you won't be able to gain achievements.
- Keep track of your keys and grenades as they are limited resources.
- There are two conducts in the game, Wisdom and Violence. They are indicated by a purple or red bar in the lower right of the screen. Examples of gaining Wisdom is by unlocking crystal doors and chests using crystals, you can gain Violence by shooting those crystal doors and chests and using health to unlock them instead.
- You can gain Wisdom as well by not getting hit in a battle room, and Violence by getting hit. However, this doesn't take effect until you already have at least one point in Wisdom or Violence.
- For the most part, it's best to stick to one or the other (Wisdom, Violence) for a run.
- Once you get an item for the first time, you can test it out in the Lab.
- Some weapons have passive abilities that are very helpful. If they require crystals to use, you will see dots in the crystal meter equal to the number of crystals needed to use the ability. Some abilities are free to use with a cooldown.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
About to start Devil may cry: HD collection, anything I should know?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Im_Special posted:

Any helpful tips I should know about for TROUBLESHOOTER: Abandoned Children that are not already covered on the wiki?

I'm only ~10 hours in, but there have been so far a lot of "choice" things happening and I don't want to miss out on something or regret a pick later down the road if I can help it, and a lot of things seem to come at a cost of undoing it, like equip an ability sure, but it costs a resource to unequip later, so I don't want to experiment on my own too much here.

Also Crafting... Masteries... WTF am I looking at? I still don't have any clue on that stuff. I have at least 8th grade schooling, I should be able to understand some anime JRPG bullshit. Even Vagrant Story's systems was simple to this.

Are there any permanent missables, etc?
I can't think of anything permanently missable, just "might get it later through other means." In fact there's only one relatively-early (first...30? hours) big decision-feeling-thing, where you play one character, and you can just...replay the level and pick someone else, until you do it with everyone. I think there are unlocks for doing that in fact.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012
Anything for Encased?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

e: nvm

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 19, 2022

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Gun Jam posted:

About to start Devil may cry: HD collection, anything I should know?

DMC2 is considered a low point of the series, while DMC3 is considered a high point. Imo, it’s worth getting all the way through DMC1, but if you aren’t having fun w DMC2, just skip ahead to 3.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

The Iron Rose posted:

Tourism is a great way to earn money as long as you have entertainment buildings near the tourist areas set to "Tourists only" and you're not having constant rebel attacks. I'm pretty sure rebel attacks halt all tourism and may even cause the tourists on the island to leave.

When signing trade deals pay attention to how many units you are shipping. Choosing the highest volume option seems great until you realize it will take most of the game to fulfill so you won't get the bonus relationship points or the bonus money. Most of the time the middle volume option is best but sometimes just knocking a bunch out with the smallest volume is best.

While it seems like a good idea to import something at a discount and then immediately exporting at a premium pay attention to the volume numbers. They don't match up 1:1 with the import number being the lower volume.

With farms soil degradation is much more of a thing now so either change your plantation locations periodically or use manure soreaders. I'm pretty sure they just have to hit the building for it to work on the whole field so concentrated spray is your friend here. You could also have 4 plantations growing 4 different things and use the work mode that causes soil degradation to not be a thing.

This one in the series really doubled down on using the water so don't be afraid to use the water as your main source of transportation.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Brother Tadger posted:

DMC2 is considered a low point of the series, while DMC3 is considered a high point. Imo, it’s worth getting all the way through DMC1, but if you aren’t having fun w DMC2, just skip ahead to 3.

I see. Anything else, or games' straightforward?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I've just updated the wiki to the latest version.

If you notice anything strange happen, please let me know in this thread.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Still no favicon... SHM.

More seriously though, can there be a row of letters added at the top of the page that act as quick links you to the letter your clicking, it would make for such a nice QoL thing to have in such a long list of games.

Similar examples;

https://wiki.pcsx2.net/Category:Games
https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=Nintendo_GameCube

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Braking Gnus posted:

Anything for Encased?

They review the game and comment on several things you might want to know in advance.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Im_Special posted:

Still no favicon... SHM.

More seriously though, can there be a row of letters added at the top of the page that act as quick links you to the letter your clicking, it would make for such a nice QoL thing to have in such a long list of games.

Similar examples;

https://wiki.pcsx2.net/Category:Games
https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=Nintendo_GameCube

It turns out MediaWiki has terrible documentation on this sort of thing. But I muddled my way through and there's now a table of contents you can use to jump to a certain letter.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Putting out a call for WH40K: Battlesector.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

0konner posted:

Putting out a call for WH40K: Battlesector.

- Explosives are king for most early 'Nid mobs. They are reusable after a cool down and they are a guaranteed hit against everyone on the tile, so they can wipe out Gaunts pretty well.

- Unless there is a timer go for the Xcom bounding movement followed by overlapping field of fire on overwatch. Don't be afraid to do a very narrow overwatch cone to ensure that you are hitting the Nids at a good distance to inflict damage rather than the first second you see them.

- Melee units are decent in a scrap but their real benefit is that their ability to effectively threaten squares and get good opportunity attacks.

- You'll unlock plasma guns before you strictly need them, but you will need them. Armor in this game is no joke and if you don't have a way around it then your team is going to get stomped by a single heavily armored Nid. This also applies to skills that give AT damage like Krak grenades.

- Following up on that, building your teams around being able to kill individual boss Nids/small squads is important. Swarming, easy to take down Nids are a problem but due to the grid playing field it's easy to funnel them into a killing field. However, if you end up with a one-sqaure threat like a Synapse creature then the map will start to work against you because you'll need to fan out to get good firing angles on the beast, opening you up to attack.

- Landspeeders suck

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 7, 2022

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Gun Jam posted:

I see. Anything else, or games' straightforward?

DMC1 tips:
-Stinger and double jump are the best skills to buy early.
-The first boss is a bit of a wall until you either get good, or buy Air Raid. You can Air Raid all your problems away on normal difficulty.
-You get a new weapon (Ifrit Gauntlets) right before a boss that that you really shouldn't use your new weapon on. It's just bad game design, and makes people give up on the new weapon when it's actually pretty good in the right situation.

DMC2
-Only play this to appreciate how good the other games are.

Each game starts off the same way and buying the same skills, so once you get get a feel for DMC1, the rest should come naturally from exploring the new skills, abilities and weapons.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I'm about 6 hours into Death Stranding, just doing Order #7 and was wondering if I should just keep doing orders as they come, or if there's an obvious point when I should start wandering around and exploring the world a bit more?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I'm about 6 hours into Death Stranding, just doing Order #7 and was wondering if I should just keep doing orders as they come, or if there's an obvious point when I should start wandering around and exploring the world a bit more?
The most obvious point is probably starting episode 3, which will unlock new tools and things to do that are essential for the rest of the game. The whole first region is basically an extended basics tutorial. Don't feel like you have to rush it, but don't exhaust it before you move on, either. You will get to travel back later.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Rush through the first 2 chapters.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

The previous two posts are solid. But, if the mood hits and you want to do a bunch of the side-quest orders or lost cargo, do it. It's definitely QUICKER with better tools and such, but just soaking in the atmosphere and music can also be nice. The moment you hit "Ugh, I don't want to carry all this stuff up a mountain." or "Gah, I don't want to climb all those ropes again." go back the main quests (marked by... stars I think? It's pretty clear.)

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Thanks for the DS info :-)

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Tylana posted:

go back the main quests (marked by... stars I think? It's pretty clear.)

They're specifically marked as "Orders for Sam" instead of "Standard Orders". In the Director's Cut there's a few new orders for Sam; the "Ruined Factory" orders have new story content and a new non-lethal weapon, the maser gun.

Speaking of Death Stranding: Director's Cut:

-If you have the platinum on PS4, importing your save will give you almost every trophy right away, except for two that involve all structure types and one for making everything you can at a chiral printer.
-The game tracks separately for each structure type whether you've built one and upgraded one to level 3. Upgrading another player's chiral bridge or cargo catapult from level 2 to 3 will count, as will fully upgrading NPC-built structures like watchtowers, postboxes, bridges, and zip lines.
-Speaking of zip lines, you can now ride one and take an attached floating carrier along. A single carrier holds over three times as much stuff as Sam can carry himself with a skeleton.
-There's no gameplay difference between normal active skeletons/armor plates and the new gold and silver variants at every upgrade level. You do need to craft them all for the new platinum, though.
-Most of the new craftable items are tied to the racetrack (both roadster variants), the orders in the ruined factory (maser gun), and the crossover missions (four items total).

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Unless they changed something there isn’t a lot of reward for just randomly wandering around other than some lost cargo.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
One more thing for Terraria, I almost forgot.

- When you get the ability to destroy Corrupt/Crimson altars, keep at least one easily-accessible one intact.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
I have a quick Disco Elysium question - it's noon on the first day and I've mostly been just doing stuff around the starting building, but it seems like I'm starting to hit dead ends. Is it a good idea to keep trying to resolve stuff here or should I go start wandering the map?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

gohuskies posted:

I have a quick Disco Elysium question - it's noon on the first day and I've mostly been just doing stuff around the starting building, but it seems like I'm starting to hit dead ends. Is it a good idea to keep trying to resolve stuff here or should I go start wandering the map?

Wander. Everything eventually ties in to everything.

Word of advice, don't treat that game like a game, where you are checking off boxes for completion. This game is a work of art and an emotional experience. Let it play out as it will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

gohuskies posted:

It's very difficult without lucky rolls to progress very far if you don't go exploring. Your primary focus at the start should be the corpse behind the bar, but it's unlikely you'll manage to deal with the situation on the first try and the means to retry lie elsewhere, so go explore.