Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Motronic posted:

Combustion.

I know this is your thing, but come on, you can't really be this dense. These are "fair weather" tunnels. Everything is fine right up until there is a failure, then things quickly cascade into a horrible mess.

Look, if you have a better idea for engineering than "always plan on the best-case scenario and nothing ever going wrong for any reason" I'd like to hear it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
"Well our laws and codes only cover roads and tunnels built with government assistence. We did not expect some rich idiot to just say gently caress it and build a mile long death tube."

Bazinga twitter explodes. Musk is not just some guy!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

e: really the saving grace here is that because the LVCC loop only exists beneath a convention center and is functionally useless, there are going to be very few individuals in wheelchairs or mobility scooters trying to use the thing anyway

It's a gimmick and attraction, people will use it not because of it's utility but to say they did.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

the tunnels are short enough now as designed that they can be ventilated by just moving cars through them, and picking up fresh air at the stations which are only a few minutes stroll apart at best. there is one underground station and both other ends of the tunnel are open air

if the tunnels were longer, the narrowness of their diameter would be a much larger problem in terms of ventilation, for lack of space to put in-tunnel fans and such

you can see the length of the entire system here, its quite tiny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUoZCUqbCNg

Relying solely on the piston effect has important implications in the case of a service-stopping emergency.

Let's take a look at what conditions look like after a British subway crash:

quote:

Platform 9 was 21 metres (70 ft) underground, and fire and ambulance crews had to carry all the equipment they needed through the station and down to the scene of the accident. The depth at which they were operating, and the shielding effect of the soil and concrete, meant their radios could not get through to the surface. Messages and requests for further supplies were passed by runners, which led to mistakes: one doctor requested further supplies of the pain-killing gas Entonox, but by the time the request reached the surface, it had been garbled to "the doctor wants an empty box".[38][39] The fire brigade deployed a small team with "Figaro", an experimental radio system that worked in deep locations.[34] Working conditions for the emergency services became increasingly difficult throughout the day.[34] The crash had thrown soot and dirt into the air from the sand drag, and from between the two metal layers of the tube carriages. Everything was covered with a thick layer of the residue which was easily disturbed.[40] The lamps and cutting gear used by the fire brigade raised the temperature to over 49 °C (120 °F) and oxygen levels began to drop. In the deep lines at Moorgate, ventilation is produced by the piston effect, created by trains forcing air through the tube lines. With services stopped since the crash, no fresh air was reaching platforms 9 and 10.[41] A large electric fan was placed at the top of the escalators in an attempt to remedy the situation, but soot and dirt was disturbed and little draught was created; the machine was soon turned off.[42]

The use of the flame cutting equipment had a detrimental effect on the atmosphere on the platform. Oxygen levels dropped from the norm of 21 per cent to 16 per cent and the smell of decomposition from the bodies trapped in the wreckage was noticed by workers.[49] Those working on the platform or tunnel were restricted to 20-minute spells working, followed by 40 minutes' recovery time on the surface. All workers had to wear gloves and masks; any cuts had to be reported, and no-one with a cut was allowed to be involved in the extrication of a body.[50] Temperatures improved after a company donated an air conditioning unit, which was installed at ground level, and the air piped down into the tunnel.[51]

And that was at a subway station with an exit to the surface right there, in a system with larger tunnels than the Boring Company builds, and the train never caught fire.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Not sure what the problem is, the self driving AI won't let an accident happen anyway???

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Volmarias posted:

Not sure what the problem is, the self driving AI won't let an accident happen anyway???

Self driving AI can never be in a car accident, it’s just a bug report.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Volmarias posted:

Lol the self-drivi g car needs a driver in those poo poo tunnels lol forever

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

HootTheOwl posted:

"Well our laws and codes only cover roads and tunnels built with government assistence. We did not expect some rich idiot to just say gently caress it and build a mile long death tube."

Bazinga twitter explodes. Musk is not just some guy!

Mile Long Death Tube is the name of my Ambient music group

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Nebrilos posted:

I suspect what a lot of musk supporters do not grasp is that musk's vision of "saving the planet" only involves saving people like him, ie: very rich people. Obviously building a tunnel to act as an extra lane of traffic is a terrible idea, since an extra lane just induces more demand and traffic won't get any better. However, he isn't thinking about the effect of this extra lane on traffic in general; to him, the poor can wait in traffic, this sleek, extra-fast lane will only be used by rich people, like him. If the richest can escape to Mars, who cares if the bottom 99.99% of humans die scavenging for scraps on a dying Earth? It is a similar mindset to those who support scalping necessities during an emergency: as long as rich people can easily get whatever they want, who cares if the poor are suffering?

We can take solace that even as we die of problems caused by them, they will be eaten alive by bronterocs.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://mobile.twitter.com/maxwellstrachan/status/1479482722913423363

The tweet made it sound like gambling on supreme court rulings or something (which I suppose might happen anyway since election gambling does), but the reality is yet another existing probably dumb and bad thing (Kickstarter for lawsuits?) previously exclusive to rich people made accessible via crypto for some reason. Also there's a touch of pyramid scheme, but I suppose that's redundant with crypto.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 8, 2022

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

i cant wait till Q or some other very stupid people/regressives start to make their very stupid opnions on these problems known and threaten to kill everyone when the expert solutions are offered up.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

HootTheOwl posted:

It's a gimmick and attraction, people will use it not because of it's utility but to say they did.

Heading to Vegas to go on the Kaprun Disaster experience ride.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The tunnel isn't THAT narrow.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Christ that looks miserable and claustrophobic.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Safety issues and technology issues and efficiency issues and all the other stuff aside: Even for a proof of concept demo it's so boring.

PVC panels and some Ikea RGB lights on a basic cycle. For someone who relies on feeding into people's sci-fi fantasies about potential technology, Musk couldn't be bothered to hire a decent designer?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Crain posted:

Safety issues and technology issues and efficiency issues and all the other stuff aside: Even for a proof of concept demo it's so boring.

PVC panels and some Ikea RGB lights on a basic cycle. For someone who relies on feeding into people's sci-fi fantasies about potential technology, Musk couldn't be bothered to hire a decent designer?

At the very least line it up with flashing led lights that make it look like you're driving at warp speed.

Incidentally this is also what driving in a blizzard looks like. So Elon's holes are worse than driving in a blizzard. If you're a nerd, that is, and we know Elon's clientele.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Speaking of predictably terrible Tesla takes, the NYT has one:

Why Tesla Soared as Other Automakers Struggled to Make Cars posted:

The yawning disparity between the performance of the electric car company and established automakers last year reflects the technological change roiling the industry.

For much of last year, established automakers like General Motors and Ford Motor operated in a different reality from Tesla, the electric car company.

G.M. and Ford closed one factory after another — sometimes for months on end — because of a shortage of computer chips, leaving dealer lots bare and sending car prices zooming. Yet Tesla racked up record sales quarter after quarter and ended the year having sold nearly twice as many vehicles as it did in 2020 unhindered by an industrywide crisis.

Tesla’s ability to conjure up critical components has a greater significance than one year’s car sales. It suggests that the company, and possibly other young electric car businesses, could threaten the dominance of giants like Volkswagen and G.M. sooner and more forcefully than most industry executives and policymakers realize. That would help the effort to reduce the emissions that are causing climate change by displacing more gasoline-powered cars sooner. But it could hurt the millions of workers, thousands of suppliers and numerous local and national governments that rely on traditional auto production for jobs, business and tax revenue.

Tesla and its enigmatic chief executive, Elon Musk, have said little about how the carmaker ran circles around the rest of the auto industry. Now it’s becoming clear that the company simply had a superior command of technology and its own supply chain. Tesla appeared to better forecast demand than businesses that produce many more cars than it does. Other automakers were surprised by how quickly the car market recovered from a steep drop early in the pandemic and had simply not ordered enough chips and parts fast enough.

When Tesla couldn’t get the chips it had counted on, it took the ones that were available and rewrote the software that operated them to suit its needs. Larger auto companies couldn’t do that because they relied on outside suppliers for much of their software and computing expertise. In many cases, automakers also relied on these suppliers to deal with chip manufacturers. When the crisis hit, the automakers lacked bargaining clout.

Just a few years ago, analysts saw Mr. Musk’s insistence on having Tesla do more things on its own as one of the main reasons the company was struggling to increase production. Now, his strategy appears to have been vindicated.

Cars are becoming increasingly digital, defined by their software as much as their engines and transmissions. It’s a reality that some old-line car companies increasingly acknowledge. Many, including Ford and Mercedes-Benz, have said in recent months that they are hiring engineers and programmers to design their own chips and write their own software.

“Tesla, born in Silicon Valley, never outsourced their software — they write their own code,” said Morris Cohen, a professor emeritus at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania who specializes in manufacturing and logistics. “They rewrote the software so they could replace chips in short supply with chips not in short supply. The other carmakers were not able to do that.”

“Tesla controlled its destiny,” Professor Cohen added.

Tesla sold 936,000 cars globally in 2021, an 87 percent increase for the year. Ford, G.M. and Stellantis, the company formed from the merger of Fiat Chrysler and Peugeot, all sold fewer cars in 2021 than they did in 2020.

Measured by vehicles delivered globally, Tesla vaulted past Volvo and Subaru in 2021, and some analysts predicted that it could sell two million cars this year, as factories in Berlin and Austin, Texas, come online and a plant in Shanghai ramps up production. That would put Tesla in the same league as BMW and Mercedes — something few in the industry thought possible just a couple of years ago.

G.M. and Ford, of course, sell many more cars and trucks. Both companies said last week that they sold around two million vehicles last year just in the United States.

Tesla, which rarely answers questions from reporters, did not respond to a request for comment for this article. It has said little publicly about how it managed to soar in a down market.

“We have used alternative parts and programmed software to mitigate the challenges caused by these shortages,” the company said in its third-quarter earnings report.

The bolded bits seem to be largely nonsensical. What is "the automakers lacked bargaining clout" supposed to mean? From what I can tell, Tesla doesn't fabricate any of its own chips, and there's nothing here that isn't just paraphrased from their own reports.

Finally, later on, a few doses of reality:

quote:

It also helps that Tesla is a much smaller company than Volkswagen and Toyota, which in a good year produce more than 10 million vehicles each. “It’s just a smaller supply chain to begin with,” said Mr. Melsert, who is now chief executive of American Battery Technology Company, a recycling and mining firm.

... and hype:

quote:

Tesla software, which can be updated remotely, is considered the most sophisticated in the auto business. Even so, the company’s cars likely use fewer chips, analysts said, because the company controls functions like battery cooling and autonomous driving from a smaller number of centralized, onboard computers.

Considered by who??? I mean yeah I guess you can't play Witcher 3 on other cars' center consoles, and you can't pay $12k for "self-driving" software that might plow into a pedestrian or emergency vehicle. And finally, buried near the end:

quote:

Tesla vehicles still suffer from quality problems. The company told regulators in December that it planned to recall more than 475,000 cars for two separate defects. One could cause the rearview camera to fail, and the other could cause the front hood to open unexpectedly. And federal regulators are investigating the safety of Tesla’s Autopilot system, which can accelerate, brake and steer a car on its own.

“Tesla will continue to grow,” said Stephen Beck, managing partner at cg42, a management consulting firm in New York. “But they are facing more competition than they ever have, and the competition is getting stronger.”

The carmaker’s fundamental advantage, which allowed it to sail through the chip crisis, will remain, however. Tesla builds nothing but electric vehicles and is unencumbered by habits and procedures that have been rendered obsolete by new technology. “Tesla started from a clean sheet of paper,” Mr. Amsrud said.

Unencumbered by obsolete procedures like minimal build quality control, I suppose.

More reasonable takes from Reuters and the like also point out that Tesla buyers are willing to accept delivery of shoddily-built vehicles with missing parts, and that really most automakers screwed up by cutting chip orders before the pandemic in anticipation of reduced demand, when the opposite was the case. But since the chip shortage happened anyway, and semiconductor fabrication can't exactly ramp up quickly, I'm not exactly clear on what the alternative was.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I remember from the gently caress Elon thread that cars were just coming off the line outright missing parts without telling buyers about it. Like, people posting on reddit that there was a USB-C hole cut out in the armrest compartment with nothing behind it. Presumably one of the legacy manufacturers would have simply not delivered the incomplete car, Tesla knows that their customer base will happily eat the poo poo.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
That sounds like an absolute nightmare to me. Now, instead of having to target their software to one hardware platform, they need to update it across several. Unless they have planned this very carefully, they've increased the complexity of their software update cycle by several times. That's a future problem though, got to meet those quarterly sales targets! Of course, they could just sunset support early for some hardware patforms, but then you get angry customers asking why their 2022 model has fewer features then the neighbor's 2019 model.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Konstantin posted:

That sounds like an absolute nightmare to me. Now, instead of having to target their software to one hardware platform, they need to update it across several. Unless they have planned this very carefully, they've increased the complexity of their software update cycle by several times. That's a future problem though, got to meet those quarterly sales targets! Of course, they could just sunset support early for some hardware patforms, but then you get angry customers asking why their 2022 model has fewer features then the neighbor's 2019 model.

Well, is it really an absolute nightmare? Windows and all its programs runs on everything ranging from a Pentium to a Ryzen Threadripper with countless combinations of hardware.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

OctaMurk posted:

Well, is it really an absolute nightmare? Windows and all its programs runs on everything ranging from a Pentium to a Ryzen Threadripper with countless combinations of hardware.

Windows isn’t a safety critical RTOS.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

Windows isn’t a safety critical RTOS.

We're talking about Tesla though, the guys with "full self driving" beta test

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Did it come up yet that Google lost the speaker lawsuit from Sonos? Now, to comply, Google is removing being able to change volume on all your individual speakers at once; and new purchasers must use a new app that forcibly updates the firmware. You also can't use the volume control on your phone to adjust speaker volume

Sonos isn't happy with that outcome and is now pitching a fit about this wasteful anti-consumer behavior.

Sonos of course being the company who would have you throw away functional hardware part of an upgrade discount program, forcibly bricking them to be sure you didn't keep/gift/sell them to anybody else.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

eXXon posted:

Speaking of predictably terrible Tesla takes, the NYT has one:
Christ almost everything in here is fabricated from whole cloth.

Auto manufacturers didn't shut down production because of a lack of chips. They did so because they predicted demand to collapse at the start of the pandemic. They willfully cancelled orders for semiconductors in enormous volume. Computer manufacturers immediately snapped up much of that inventory, because demand for laptops, tablets, phones, and gaming systems was skyrocketing. Then when demand for cars rebounded much faster than expected, automakers realized they had completely hosed themselves and immediately placed new orders and snatched up all remaining inventory.

quote:

The bolded bits seem to be largely nonsensical. What is "the automakers lacked bargaining clout" supposed to mean? From what I can tell, Tesla doesn't fabricate any of its own chips, and there's nothing here that isn't just paraphrased from their own reports.
It's total nonsense. Chip vendors have been bending over backwards to meet automaker demands because automakers do, in fact, have a loving ton of "bargaining clout". Smaller companies which require similar components are forced to either redesign their products, or fold.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
Google fed this to me and I immediately knew it would be appropriate here:

This Tesla owner says he mines up to $800 a month in cryptocurrency with his car
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/08/tesla-owner-mines-bitcoin-ethereum-with-his-car.html

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

I could see this ending up as the equivalent of Seattle's monorail: A cool piece of tech that goes through periods of being just barely funded or granted huge funds for expansions that don't happen due to cost overruns and the money just disappears somewhere.

Assuming there isn't a collapse or a fire, of course.

Freakazoid_ fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 9, 2022

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Yeah except it doesn't have the cool tech part

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Freakazoid_ posted:

I could see this ending up as the equivalent of Seattle's monorail: A cool piece of tech that goes through periods of being just barely funded or granted huge funds for expansions that don't happen due to cost overruns and the money just disappears somewhere.

I hear that thing is awfully loud.

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I hear that thing is awfully loud.

And as a result of it Main Street is still all cracked and broken.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Has anyone tried putting color leds on a monorail yet?

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

eXXon posted:

I'd put money on Tesla owning the designs for its control boards and GM, Ford and Chrysler (now Stellantis North America) contracting out the designs to 3rd party designers who have the responsibility to build fully assembled control boards and sell those control boards to the auto manufacturer. In general there is a huge resistance to opening up the design because its going to cost at least a million dollars and 5,000 person hours of engineering time to do all of the redesign, test and validate it in the existing system. This redesign is a drop in the bucket for the big 3, but for these design houses that's a huge amount of time and money that they don't have budgeted for. These design houses have work scheduled through 2023 right now and are contracting for work in 2024. Which other projects that you have are going to get pushed back to make room for a redesign of the big 3's control board? Worse yet the auto manufactures might not even own the design, so they cant just go to another design house and ask them to open it up and throw 10 million dollars at the problem.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Why the hell is he deadset on this death tunnel other than the stock price to up. I mean what happen when his child fans all have heart attacks or claustrophobia and jam up traffic in a TUNNEL OF DEATH

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Why the hell is he deadset on this death tunnel other than the stock price to up. I mean what happen when his child fans all have heart attacks or claustrophobia and jam up traffic in a TUNNEL OF DEATH

When that happens, stock price will go up of course.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
boring company isn't publicly traded, there is no stock price

he got mad about traffic one day and decided to reinvent tunnels, and he doesn't have anyone around him telling him some of his ideas are bad. like that tunnels already exist and don't need to be reinvented. now he keeps trying to find a market for his "tiny, deathtrap tunnels for cars" idea and there are very few takers

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

I may be misremembering but wasn't the hyperloop originally supposed to be some sci-fi sealed vacuum tube with trains that could get up to high speed because no air friction? And what they actually built is just a small tunnel?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Random Integer posted:

I may be misremembering but wasn't the hyperloop originally supposed to be some sci-fi sealed vacuum tube with trains that could get up to high speed because no air friction? And what they actually built is just a small tunnel?

Hyperloop was something else entirely, I think there's a tiny proof of concept somewhere (or maybe just plans for one) but it's never had actual use like this tunnel appears to, strange as it is.

And yes, I have to imagine that much like a steam summer sale he saw a tunnel boring machine for $100k, said to himself "for that price it would be foolish to a NOT buy it," and then needed to figure out exactly what was supposed to happen next.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Volmarias posted:

And yes, I have to imagine that much like a steam summer sale he saw a tunnel boring machine for $100k, said to himself "for that price it would be foolish to a NOT buy it," and then needed to figure out exactly what was supposed to happen next.

If I remember the hype correctly, the Boring Company sort of started that way, in that they began with a used boring machine to start boring and make a tunneling company to learn about the technology. The problem is I think they expected it would be like Tesla or Space-X where there were big incumbents ignoring technologies or new advancements that they could take advantage of and leap ahead. Instead it turns out tunneling is pretty well understood and there's no easy way to tunnel much faster. So far their main innovation seems to be making smaller tunnels.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Freakazoid_ posted:

Las Vegas already has that monorail though

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

pairofdimes posted:

If I remember the hype correctly, the Boring Company sort of started that way, in that they began with a used boring machine to start boring and make a tunneling company to learn about the technology. The problem is I think they expected it would be like Tesla or Space-X where there were big incumbents ignoring technologies or new advancements that they could take advantage of and leap ahead. Instead it turns out tunneling is pretty well understood and there's no easy way to tunnel much faster. So far their main innovation seems to be making smaller tunnels.

yeah, it smells like elon didn't understand the tunnel construction market at all and just assumed it was stagnant and ripe for silicon valley innovation. turns out whoops, there's big money in tunnel construction and it is a lively, thriving market, its just also very boring so it has no real public profile for a half-ignorant techbro to stereotype

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

Las Vegas already has that monorail though

not anymore, the monorail failed and that permitted the boring co to move in on the for-profit transit in las vegas angle. the monorail had a general non-compete over transit in vegas which only voided when the company folded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

So... wait, there's now essentially no mass rapid transit in a city chiefly known for people being drunk and partying at all hours of the day and night?

Oh that's not a good thing. That's not a good thing at all.