Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Agrias120 posted:

How’s Ion Fury? It’s on sale and it looks like a fun Boomer Shooter, but also I feel like I remember something deep in my mind that the people who made it were terrible chuds.

it’s good, better on PC but imo it’s good on Switch. the game itself is incredibly juvenile and stupid (first level has a giant washington 4-skins billboard) and apparently has a homophobic joke (o’gays instead of o’lays) hidden somewhere in a secret. someone found this which caused the devs to remove it and then put it back in when a load of people complained, and made them double down on a lot of it and say even more nasty poo poo. really weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Looper posted:

greetings from cloudy climb

skypiea

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Foul Fowl posted:

it’s good, better on PC but imo it’s good on Switch. the game itself is incredibly juvenile and stupid (first level has a giant washington 4-skins billboard) and apparently has a homophobic joke (o’gays instead of o’lays) hidden somewhere in a secret. someone found this which caused the devs to remove it and then put it back in when a load of people complained, and made them double down on a lot of it and say even more nasty poo poo. really weird.

Yeah, the 'o'gay' thing was :rolleyes:, but it was the devs response to all of that that really poo poo the bed.

Edit: also, apparently Golf Story is free for a week to try on the JP eShop.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 8, 2022

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

First time playing Paper Mario 64 and it‘s so good

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Silver Falcon posted:

I'd be fine with this as long as it also had an option for gyro aiming.

Go gyro aim or go home. I can't stand twin-stick shooter controls. I loathe them.

gently caress no

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The REAL Goobusters posted:

gently caress no

How did this post end up in a wormhole from 2008

Gyro controls are the only way to play shooters

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Gyro aiming is great and should be in every game. Sony is full of cowards scarred by sixaxis mockery for not putting the option in every game they make

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

It's crazy to me that Nintendo is leading the way in shooters right now, that used to be an Xbox thing. MS holding back the industry for some boomers who don't wanna get left behind.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
gently caress aiming, all enemies should get in a single-file line and patiently wait for me to shoot them.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

tuo posted:

First time playing Paper Mario 64 and it‘s so good

hell yes

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

gently caress no

I'm sorry your brain is broken.

I don't play many shooters to begin with, but I've only done them with either a keyboard and mouse, or with gyro aiming, and I can't loving stand twinstick controls for shooters. It feels like wading through molasses.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
PM64 is the best Mario RPG, Superstar Saga is second so hopefully Nintendo adds GBA to the switch so more people can play it

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Gyro aiming is good in first person shooters but Metroid Prime isn't a first person shooter and doesn't need it.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Mega64 posted:

gently caress aiming, all enemies should get in a single-file line and patiently wait for me to shoot them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

It's crazy to me that Nintendo is leading the way in shooters right now, that used to be an Xbox thing. MS holding back the industry for some boomers who don't wanna get left behind.

I just started playing Halo Infinite, and I'd absolutely love for that to be somehow ported to the Switch. If you're at all, or have ever been, interested in Halo, I recommend it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Gyro is good in third person shooters too. Lack of gyro was my main problem going from BOTW to Horizon, aiming just felt so clunky in comparison

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Yeah the reason only one game uses gyro aiming isn't because it's extremely wonky and unreliable and doesn't work. No. It's because of a conspiracy by boomers.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

The first time I played Risk of Rain 2 I didn't know it had gyro aim and I thought my joycons were drifting on me again.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Gyro aiming makes switch shooters a lot more fun for me

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Didn't think I was a boomer but something about gyro aming constantly baffles my brain.

Also I've never once been able to operate a cable box.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The best way to practice gyro aiming for free would be to check out Warframe or Fortnite (yes, really, shut up). Those games, plus playing RE4 on Steam with my Steam controller (yes, really, shut up), made me a gyro aiming fan. Next to M+KB, it's the best option.

Now, let me tell you all about trackball aiming :getin:

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

flavor.flv posted:

I played Bethesda Doom this way with my Steam controller and it was great

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

flavor.flv posted:

gyro is good if you cant aim with sticks however if you can its pointless

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Gyro is better than sticks because it allows you to be both fast and precise. There’s a reason basically every fps has to add really strong autoaim to the dual analogue controls, but gyro based games like splatoon don’t.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Snake Maze posted:

Gyro is better than sticks because it allows you to be both fast and precise. There’s a reason basically every fps has to add really strong autoaim to the dual analogue controls, but gyro based games like splatoon don’t.

its because youre shooting the floor and walls op

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Foul Fowl posted:

the game itself is incredibly juvenile and stupid
Duke 3D is one of those games that is really uncomfortable to revisit 25 years later, but I acknowledge it has good comedy in parts and certainly was one of the seminal works in FPS.

However it's frustrating to see that some boomer shooters are doubling down on Duke's troublesome aspects, and they're not really redeeming otherwise.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Precision shooting game splatoon

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I wish every shootsy game had gyro aiming. It's so nice for making microadjustments.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

flavor.flv posted:

I still haven't learned, even though I know in my heart you must be right.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Shovel Knight or Dead Cells collections? I'm in the mood for either. The movement in Dead Cells looks great but I have a feeling Shovel Knight might be more fun?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Clubhouse Games is $27. A drat good value!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Is this also the thread for the console, or only for games? If so, is there still a console thread?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

it's extremely wonky and unreliable and doesn't work .... boomers.
I found the boomer.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

only one game uses gyro aiming

pardon

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Inzombiac posted:

Clubhouse Games is $27. A drat good value!

Did they ever fix Texas holdem? I heard the raising was busted

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Is this also the thread for the console, or only for games? If so, is there still a console thread?

it's the thread for the switch lifestyle

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Chas McGill posted:

Shovel Knight or Dead Cells collections? I'm in the mood for either. The movement in Dead Cells looks great but I have a feeling Shovel Knight might be more fun?

I'm a big fan of Shovel Knight. They are very different games though. Dead Cells is a roguelight focused on combat whereas Shovel Knight is a linear oldschool platformer. Both have dozens of hours of content though!

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

shovel knight is more fun. enjoy

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Sometimes games get their own thread, but this here thread is your one stop shop for nintendo switch discussion, infighting, speculation, bitching, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Chas McGill posted:

Shovel Knight is the better of the two, but it's a platformer. It's quality product.

Dead Cells is good, but it doesn't have as much lasting power in my opinion since the difficulty gets to be too much.