Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Vib Rib posted:

Jesus, what the gently caress?

It's a weird post. But I do think their is some truth to the idea that some people hide their homophobia by slapping 'white' in front of their comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

IronicDongz posted:

the early books are fine. book 1 has clever bits, book 2 is eh and book 3 is pretty good

then not only is it all downhill from there but her lovely politics become more and more prevalent

Book 4 was when the bloat started and coincided with her firing her editor

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

fondly remembering the bit in one of the last books where dumbledore puts his wand in his teeth like a marine's knife, and then leaps into raging seas with enormous waves crashing against the rocky shore and swims through it to a cave like a superhuman micheal phelps despite being over 100 years old

I am genuinely a little embarassed that I know this, but canonically (I know) their innate magic keeps them healthy and retards aging. A regular wizard lives 2-3 times as long as a normal human lifespan, and the powerful ones can live 500+ years.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
he had a hosed up hand at that point though, so hosed up it hurt to gesture with it

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

IronicDongz posted:

also harry makes the choice to not give his poor friends his money(which he inherited and did not earn), and the story presents this as the correct choice because it would be insulting to help them financially

Harry’s also an eleven year old child that’s been banished to a closet for most of his life with no money to his name, so it’s not hard to see why he’d be reluctant to part with all this money he suddenly has that came out of nowhere

Which would be a neat flaw for your protagonist to grow out of during this coming of age story, Rowling!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Chloe Jessica posted:

he had a hosed up hand at that point though, so hosed up it hurt to gesture with it

Don't you think he could've been faking it? How else do you explain his feverish wanking activity, which fueled the various magical wards and protections around Hogwarts?

Geez! Think, moran.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

christmas boots posted:

Harry’s also an eleven year old child that’s been banished to a closet for most of his life with no money to his name, so it’s not hard to see why he’d be reluctant to part with all this money he suddenly has that came out of nowhere

Which would be a neat flaw for your protagonist to grow out of during this coming of age story, Rowling!

By that same measure, he knows what it's like to be poor and deprived and only given the essentials, even when the person next to you is spared no expense by those with the money.

But it's okay he does buy all of the candy on the train and does share it, so it's totally cool when 50% of his friends are bullied for things like hand-me-down robes and dangerous wands.

EDIT: This is criticising Jowling Kowling, not you, to be clear.

Serperoth has a new favorite as of 12:38 on Jan 8, 2022

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Mega Comrade posted:

It's a weird post. But I do think their is some truth to the idea that some people hide their homophobia by slapping 'white' in front of their comments.
Yeah maybe, but most of the people even making that distinction are gay, so I don’t know if I’m gonna jump out to defend white gay (mostly) men who rightly do lots of dumb poo poo

christmas boots posted:

Buddy had the equivalent of millions of dollars worth of gold and wouldn’t spend like a couple hundo to buy his friends nice clothes. I know Rowling herself was poor when she wrote the books but Harry acts exactly like every trust fund kid I know. “Oh wow you need five bucks to cover the rest of your rent and you don’t have any food until your next paycheck? That sounds really rough I hope it works out!”

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Serperoth posted:

By that same measure, he knows what it's like to be poor and deprived and only given the essentials, even when the person next to you is spared no expense by those with the money.

But it's okay he does buy all of the candy on the train and does share it, so it's totally cool when 50% of his friends are bullied for things like hand-me-down robes and dangerous wands.

EDIT: This is criticising Jowling Kowling, not you, to be clear.

Yeah, Harry was not unwilling to spend his money. He bought the best supplies for school with Hagrid, then bought the entire candy cart on a curiosity/wonder-driven whim. It would be more in character for him to offer to help cover Ron's supplies, once they became friends, and especially after seeing Ron's home life.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Maybe the Weaselys were cosplaying as poors. I would assume all wizards can just wizard up some cash, so since they can be rich as poo poo and live for hundreds of years, sometimes they just want to faff about for a few decades trying things out.

Wasn't Weasely Senior some sort of human researcher? Maybe one day he came home to stately Weasely Manor, and told everyone "You'll never believe what I saw today! We were researching in a new area of London, and we came across a new type of human. A "poor". They lived in lovely homes, and ate lovely food, and had lovely kids and lived lovely lives. Fascinating! How would everyone like to cosplay as a poor for the next several years, eh? Could be fun!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Maybe the Weaselys were cosplaying as poors. I would assume all wizards can just wizard up some cash, so since they can be rich as poo poo and live for hundreds of years, sometimes they just want to faff about for a few decades trying things out.

Wasn't Weasely Senior some sort of human researcher? Maybe one day he came home to stately Weasely Manor, and told everyone "You'll never believe what I saw today! We were researching in a new area of London, and we came across a new type of human. A "poor". They lived in lovely homes, and ate lovely food, and had lovely kids and lived lovely lives. Fascinating! How would everyone like to cosplay as a poor for the next several years, eh? Could be fun!"

Arthur's more of a human fetishist - he doesn't care how Muggle poo poo works, he just acquires it and merges them with weird spells to see what will happen. If he were really a researcher he'd have enrolled into a Muggle university on some kind of engineering course after Hogwarts so that he could learn how we did poo poo without magic and report back.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BioEnchanted posted:

Arthur's more of a human fetishist - he doesn't care how Muggle poo poo works, he just acquires it and merges them with weird spells to see what will happen. If he were really a researcher he'd have enrolled into a Muggle university on some kind of engineering course after Hogwarts so that he could learn how we did poo poo without magic and report back.

It's hilarious how dumb wizards are in Harry Potter. They all have more power than a nuclear bomb and also never learned basic multiplication. We're gonna teach you how to kill hundreds of thousands of people all at once, we aren't gonna teach you about how to pay your gas bill.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Skwirl posted:

It's hilarious how dumb wizards are in Harry Potter. They all have more power than a nuclear bomb and also never learned basic multiplication. We're gonna teach you how to kill hundreds of thousands of people all at once, we aren't gonna teach you about how to pay your gas bill.

The best example of that is in Half-Blood Prince - Harry finds a random spell that he's never heard of, but because he never thought to learn any root words or naming conventions, or research it to see what it could do, he uses it in Draco in a bathroom in anger and it blows his face off like a shotgun. Hermione probably cornered him after that incident and just went "What did you think would happen? Think about the name idiot! Sectumsempra. SECTUM! You could have bisected the loving kid!"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I would assume all wizards can just wizard up some cash
They explicitly cannot. It was clearly very important to Jowling that the Weasleys be poor (and not merely lacking in status or prestige), so one of the few concrete explanations she gave for how day-to-day life works for wizards was that they use special goblin-made money that can't be fabricated or faked. So the Weasleys aren't just unfashionable or unpopular or looked down on for being eccentric (although they are all those things too), they're also unable to afford basic stuff they need (like school supplies) because they're poor.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

BioEnchanted posted:

The best example of that is in Half-Blood Prince - Harry finds a random spell that he's never heard of, but because he never thought to learn any root words or naming conventions, or research it to see what it could do, he uses it in Draco in a bathroom in anger and it blows his face off like a shotgun. Hermione probably cornered him after that incident and just went "What did you think would happen? Think about the name idiot! Sectumsempra. SECTUM! You could have bisected the loving kid!"

Harry weren't you in "Greak, Laddin, & Classykal Roots" with me? You should know all the hosed-up lovely Latin roots we misuse by now. Honestly.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Like how in star trek they want to have a post scarcity utopian society with no money so replicators are a thing, but they also sometimes want to tell stories where money is a factor, so they have latinum which cant be replicated and is money if the story needs a character to be motivated by money.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think latinum is specifically a ferengi thing, and they like it specifically because it can't be replicated and they are supposed to be the loony capitalist aliens who fetishize things entirely because of their rarity.

Latinum is NFTs.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

OwlFancier posted:

I think latinum is specifically a ferengi thing, and they like it specifically because it can't be replicated and they are supposed to be the loony capitalist aliens who fetishize things entirely because of their rarity.

Latinum is NFTs.

I just imagine their society getting turbofucked every time the last "rare" element they pegged currency to turns out to be abundant in the galaxy, until finally they're down to the ones which are hard to syntheforge in a replicrucible. Ugly, horrible metals that just happen to need novas worth of energy to form. Really just pathetic poo poo

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

OwlFancier posted:

Latinum is NFTs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrbDWq64BNg

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Skwirl posted:

It's almost like the books are for children

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

i deeply regret reading these

Me too. Jeez.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I don't think explicitly bad writing should be excused just because it's for children. It works alright in the first book because wizarding society is explicitly this loony weird thing and things are taking to absurd extremes as part of the writing style, like, Harry isn't just neglected and abused, he's stuck under the cupboard, etc. As the books try to get more mature tho, I think it becomes more clear that Rowling isn't actually good at examining serious themes.

A YA book series I'd like to contrast with that is Diane Duane's Young Wizards, where wizards (gender neutral) are essentially magical tech support and troubleshooters of the universe, and when they're younger they've got the raw power to force the Lone Power into direct confrontations of Good vs Evil because that's how kids are more likely to think and have the convictions to support, but as they get older and more experienced the raw power fades because they don't need it as much as they get better with the technical aspects and the problems they're assigned to fix tend to get more complicated and less black-and-white. How do you talk your mother's cancer into dying willingly? What if the problem you're dealing with isn't an evil villain but another teenaged wizard who's well-intentioned but also just an arrogant rear end in a top hat?

EDIT: Cats being one of Earth's fully sapient species and only wizards knowing this is pretty horrifying, though.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I dont want my childrens books written by terfs

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Diane Duane is the superior writer of children’s books about child wizards, fite me irl.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

PetraCore posted:

I don't think explicitly bad writing should be excused just because it's for children. It works alright in the first book because wizarding society is explicitly this loony weird thing and things are taking to absurd extremes as part of the writing style, like, Harry isn't just neglected and abused, he's stuck under the cupboard, etc. As the books try to get more mature tho, I think it becomes more clear that Rowling isn't actually good at examining serious themes.

I'll take the opportunity to plug the Shrieking Shack podcast, which I'm still working through the backlog of because I'm an infrequent podcast listener and started really late, but yeah this is about it. The first few are wacky and have a sort of snarky brand of humour, and the hosts go through the books chapter by chapter, this is funny, this is kind of hosed if you look at it too close, this is neat too bad it never goes anywhere. The first few books are not great literature by any means but they can be entertaining.

I'm partway through their Deathly Hallows read and they are losing their minds with how bad it is.

Anyway the Young Wizards books have been on my list for "things I would like to reread at some point" because I read like. One. A billion years ago. It was a library book and I never had the chance to read more. And i barely remember them now except that I did enjoy it.

And yeah, I do firmly believe that good children's media should be enjoyable by adults too, and the difference should be content, not quality.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think what made Harry Potter so popular despite ultimately mediocre writing (at its best) was that it presented a fantasy world that was really easy for kids to slot themselves into and imagine themselves magic powers, especially with the whole "which is your house?" thing.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/KateKizer/status/1479555596584202245

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
As any boomer will tell you, THEY grew up POOR and THEY bootstrapped THEMSELVES and deserve to keep ALL of what THEY and ONLY THEY have earned.

Nevermind all of the completely different societal changes since 1970 OR the fact that they had a father that could sustain a household with 1 income AND got an amazing pension AND social security in retirement PLUS housing costs being reasonable and it was very feasible to own your property within 15 years of mortgage.

So it is easy to see why a poorer kid is reluctant to give up money to help those in need.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

dialhforhero posted:

As any boomer will tell you, THEY grew up POOR and THEY bootstrapped THEMSELVES and deserve to keep ALL of what THEY and ONLY THEY have earned.

Nevermind all of the completely different societal changes since 1970 OR the fact that they had a father that could sustain a household with 1 income AND got an amazing pension AND social security in retirement.

So it is easy to see why a poorer kid is reluctant to give up money to help those in need.
Well you see, if you provide CHARITY that is actually insulting people. Literally that's what I remember the justification is for the Weasleys in specific, that if Harry just gave them money it'd be insulting when they're hardworking people who find ways to make do. And you know what, I can understand not wanting to feel like you're buying friends or whatever but in the specific case of a dangerously broken wand or even like 'hey the only clothes I have to wear for wizard prom is a passed-down robe that's extremely out of date and also for women' that's probably the time to have a potentially awkward conversation.

EDIT: Like in Harry's defense the Weasleys are never portrayed as wanting for food and the curriculum at Hogwarts doesn't seem to change very much so reusing school supplies isn't a huge deal, but there's definitely a few points where 'making do' turns into 'there's an unexpected expense and we're NOT making do'.

PetraCore has a new favorite as of 18:20 on Jan 8, 2022

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
yeah but then you lose out on the comedic stylings of Ron's personal armament, with the capacity to shotgun people's face off or level cities if misused, backfiring and shooting a forest slug in his face lmao there's a mollusk in his nose because his family is poor

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

It's also worth mentioning that Mrs. Weasley cannot possibly get a job to help because all married women in Harry Potter turn into housewives.

I don't think there are any working mothers in all the books.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I think Hermione's parents both worked, so maybe it's just wizards.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

P sure the wizards are all trad

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
The bits where Harry could very easily help the Weasley's are all odd, too, because he always thinks something like "they would be insulted at the offer and not take the money anyhow", but...he never actually asks them. He just assumes they wouldn't take the money and never actually offers it. Which really sounds like Rowling's own reasoning once she had money bleeding through.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

https://twitter.com/adamriggio/status/1479805760653729794?s=21

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Tenebrais posted:

I think what made Harry Potter so popular despite ultimately mediocre writing (at its best) was that it presented a fantasy world that was really easy for kids to slot themselves into and imagine themselves magic powers, especially with the whole "which is your house?" thing.
The equivalent of a twitter poll or a youtube "post your answer in the comments" question to drive engagement.
Also it really invited readers to imagine themselves in Harry's position, as the young genius bound for greatness just by being who he is, but bullied by dumb MEAN BULLIES at school who just don't understand you and mistreated by UNFAIR PARENTS who give harsh rules. Every kid feels that way.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AlbieQuirky posted:

Diane Duane is the superior writer of children’s books about child wizards, fite me irl.

(unsheathes my Diana Wynne Jones sword) Have at thee, rogue!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
This session of nitpicking a children’s book has gone on a suprisingly long time